PDA

View Full Version : PC databases to load BRIS files

Capper Al
08-03-2016, 06:52 AM
The default is always Access. That 255 columns per record is a pain. But it's interface with Excel is nice. I'm thinking about MySQL. Yet, the future may be uncertain with ORACLE owning them. Does anybody use another DB than Access with BRIS files?

Red Knave
08-03-2016, 08:05 AM
Have a look at Libre Office (or any of the Open Office forks).
They allow at least 1024 columns in the spreadsheet and integrate well with the database. Your MS office skills will translate and they're free.

DeltaLover
08-03-2016, 08:26 AM
The default is always Access. That 255 columns per record is a pain. But it's interface with Excel is nice. I'm thinking about MySQL. Yet, the future may be uncertain with ORACLE owning them. Does anybody use another DB than Access with BRIS files?

Go with mysql and do not worry about Oracle owning them.

Tom
08-03-2016, 12:16 PM
Have a look at Libre Office (or any of the Open Office forks).
They allow at least 1024 columns in the spreadsheet and integrate well with the database. Your MS office skills will translate and they're free.

One of the told in Access is that you can run a query and then open it in Excel.

Is there something similar to that in OO?
Even if it is not Excel.

upthecreek
08-03-2016, 12:28 PM
https://www.openoffice.org/product/base.html

https://www.libreoffice.org/discover/base/

tupper
08-03-2016, 01:06 PM
One of the told in Access is that you can run a query and then open it in Excel.
Is there something similar to that in OO?
Is this what you want (https://help.libreoffice.org/Common/Importing_and_Exporting_Data_in_Base)?

Capper Al
08-03-2016, 01:54 PM
Go with mysql and do not worry about Oracle owning them.

Do you get your BRIS file record into one table row? There over 1,400 columns in the main BRIS files.

DeltaLover
08-03-2016, 03:07 PM
I have two tables:

One holds the race description containing things like track code, distance, surface, fractional timing etc (one row per race)

An another for the starter specific data like position per fraction, name etc (as many rows as the number of starters per race)

Capper Al
08-03-2016, 04:50 PM
I have two tables:

One holds the race description containing things like track code, distance, surface, fractional timing etc (one row per race)

An another for the starter specific data like position per fraction, name etc (as many rows as the number of starters per race)

I think I'm dreaming that I can find a DB on a PC that can take a BRIS PP file in. Looks like I'm going to have to pick one and split it.

Thanks Everyone!!!!

DeltaLover
08-03-2016, 05:23 PM
If you are having any concerns about the ownership of mysql, you can always use https://mariadb.org/ which is an OS replacement for it with full compatibility and a very active community.

In my case I am using a combination of mysql (to store historical data), mongodb (to store real time data, scratches, pool data etc), pickle (for trained networks) and flat files (for the DRF files that I do not touch at all).

Red Knave
08-03-2016, 05:47 PM
I think I'm dreaming that I can find a DB on a PC that can take a BRIS PP file in. Looks like I'm going to have to pick one and split it.
Delta splits it because it's proper database practice (and theory) to do so. MYSQL has a limit of 4K columns AFAIK.
You will waste time and resources storing BRIS data in the format that you get it. There is too much redundant data that way.

eqitec
08-03-2016, 11:34 PM
I recommend FilemakerPro. Been using it for 20 years. Versions of it run on my WIN PC, my Mac, my iPad & iPhone. When running on my iPad or iPhone, it functions as a database "engine", not just a display of text from the output of other engines that only run on more powerful desktops and/or servers.

Capper Al
08-04-2016, 08:32 AM
Delta splits it because it's proper database practice (and theory) to do so. MYSQL has a limit of 4K columns AFAIK.
You will waste time and resources storing BRIS data in the format that you get it. There is too much redundant data that way.

I understand normalization. I was trying to pull in the whole BRIS MCP file for storage and reference only. Maybe this is not a good idea. Yes, once in their needs to be a trainer table, a jockey table, and other PP info tables to join back to make today's race. How's performance on the PC using many joins?

Capper Al
08-04-2016, 08:35 AM
If you are having any concerns about the ownership of mysql, you can always use https://mariadb.org/ which is an OS replacement for it with full compatibility and a very active community.

In my case I am using a combination of mysql (to store historical data), mongodb (to store real time data, scratches, pool data etc), pickle (for trained networks) and flat files (for the DRF files that I do not touch at all).

I downloaded MySQL on Windows 7. I have an old i3 chip computer. Maybe a first generation i3.

DeltaLover
08-04-2016, 10:04 AM
I downloaded MySQL on Windows 7. I have an old i3 chip computer. Maybe a first generation i3.

Should be just fine...

DeltaLover
08-04-2016, 10:15 AM
I understand normalization. I was trying to pull in the whole BRIS MCP file for storage and reference only. Maybe this is not a good idea. Yes, once in their needs to be a trainer table, a jockey table, and other PP info tables to join back to make today's race. How's performance on the PC using many joins?

I do not think it is a good idea to store the MCP for storage. In my case, I simply delete it after it is inserted in the data base.

I do not have a normalized db as I store track code, date in both the description and starters table and I also do not have a separate table for connections.

Assuming you will create the necessary indexes your performance will be acceptable as your queries will join two tables in most of the cases.

To avoid joins and simplify the select statements, I also update the speed and pace figures in the level of the starter so I do not need to involve and other table in my queries.

As far as performance is going, using memoization will probably be a helpful technique when it comes to globally applied data that do not change during the course of the day...

hracingplyr
08-05-2016, 09:07 AM
wonder if someone could point me in the right direction with windows 10 Edge. When i download free PP's from the site Whobet and go to open the PP's i get a message that says,

Couldn't open PDF. Something's keeping this PDF from opening.

The PP's open fine in Google so it is not a big deal. Was just curious as to why it does not work in Edge?

Bob :confused:

Capper Al
08-05-2016, 09:37 AM
Once I get going with MySQL, it will be normalized. I think I'll just store the MCP files in a folder. The admin stuff isn't working at the moment. At least not the way that I'd like to. Currently, all I have done is sign in on the prompt as root and created a database. I'm after switching to another user to build the tables, but can't seem to do that.

whodoyoulike
08-05-2016, 04:00 PM
wonder if someone could point me in the right direction with windows 10 Edge. When i download free PP's from the site Whobet and go to open the PP's i get a message that says,

Couldn't open PDF. Something's keeping this PDF from opening.

The PP's open fine in Google so it is not a big deal. Was just curious as to why it does not work in Edge?

Bob :confused:

You need Adobe Acrobat PDF to open in Edge. I had it before upgrade and I've had no problems opening PDF files. Just go to the Adobe Acrobat website it was a free download.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=adobe%20acro.

Capper Al
08-06-2016, 11:51 AM
Okay, here's the bottom line. The administrative setup is not so intuitive. So, being old school open system's kind of a guy, I signed up for a MySQL class on Lyndia.com. I have taken tutorials from the instructor before. This should work.

As far as the design, I'm thinking of temporary pulling in the BRIS MCP in two pieces and dumping what fields that I don't want to use. Saving the remainder in a smaller set, but again in two pieces if necessary. Why? Because the whole point is to be able to test an idea later for hit rate and payout. Yes, besides this, I will still create a normalized database. Just don't want to have to run a bunch of joins when doing a massive query.

hracingplyr
08-09-2016, 05:13 PM
already have adobe on my computer.

NorCalGreg
08-09-2016, 06:19 PM
already have adobe on my computer.

I found that's another hassle of upgrading to windows 10---microsoft wants to decide things for you. Instead of clicking on the PDF.....RIGHT CLICK ON IT.....
that will give you a little menu asking which program YOU want to open use to open the PDF.

Hope that helps, Bob.

-NCG