PDA

View Full Version : Comparative Class Chart (Attn: Dick Schmidt)

First_Place
07-10-2004, 09:47 PM
Dick, first of all, thanks for the discount on your very good book. And prompt delivery too. I learned some new things and am very grateful for that. Oh yeah, I also enjoyed your wit and humor.

Second, at the bottom of page 34 it says: "This chart represents our approximation of the absolute class of the various tracks, not just the purse levels." What I'd like to know is if it's still applicable in 2004, or is a minor update needed? If so, care to share with us how to go about approximating track class so we can keep the chart up to date in the future?

I also noticed at least one track missing (Fairgrounds). Any reason for this?

Thanks for your help.

FP

Dick Schmidt
07-11-2004, 03:08 AM
FP,

Well, of course you enjoyed my wit and humor. I am a very witty and humorous kind of guy.

As for the chart, the one in the book is hopelessly out of date. When I was using such a chart, I updated it at least twice a year. It really is just a starting point. In the book, we go into much more detail about track-to-track adjustments, and I'd go that route for all of the tracks you see frequently.

When the occasional horse ships in from Mars or points west, the chart can be a help if you keep it up to date. We started by looking at the purse structure, and then the class changes made by shippers. For instance, even though Mountaineer has high purses, horses shipping in from Philly tend to run for higher claiming prices. Both need to be taken into account when comparing class.

Remember that TPR was written before the days of online betting and people handicapping many tracks a day. We assumed that you would be able to play two or at most three tracks a day, and furthermore wanted this to be a method that could be done by hand, without the use of a computer. What was normal 10 years ago may be seen as limitations today. I know when I play now, I download the races and use a program that does all the adjustments for me. However, the old fashioned, by hand at one track method still keeps cranking out the profits.

Good luck, and glad you enjoyed the book.

Witty Dick

Waiting for brilliance to hit me.....stay tuned. May be awhile.