PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga and Patience

BELMONT 6-6-09
07-27-2016, 08:10 PM
Do you find yourself making more prime plays at the Saratoga meeting? Speaking with a few of my regulars today and 4 of 5 said they forced more key plays at Saratoga. The reasons mentioned more perceived value, larger betting pools, and simply the excitement of Saratoga. They avoided my response knowing I stand pat with my one or two, possibly three daily plays whether it was the glory of the Spa or a 17 degree day at the BIG A.

I have seem more then a few disciplined players go on tilt playing Saratoga every year because of the previously mentioned temptations and it can reek havoc when these players come to the realization that they have dug themselves quite a hole after a week or so of the meeting, and instead of simply continuing to 'play their best game' day after day they chase for the purpose of beating the meeting. Well you all know of the sad stories.

JohnFromLongIsland
07-28-2016, 09:19 PM
Funny you should post this, I just blew through my summer bankroll with 30+ days left in the meet! The bulk of the meet are 2 year old races and turf races- neither of which are my strong suits. It's a combination of things... Bigger payouts, the uniqueness of the meet, and that its a harder meet to handicap. So many shippers- it's hard to pick out who was prepping to win at saratoga, and who's just here because they want to say they have a horse at saratoga. It's a combination of my favorite meet of the year and the most infuriating and undisciplined meet. Still love it though!

Cice
07-29-2016, 11:02 AM
Yes, the temptation of a larger score at the Spa comes into play as well, but every race is so competitive cause everyone brings their best. I too, blew my summer budget cause of that tempation. I am digging into my reserves, but I have to remain patient at this meet in order to recoup!

Tom
07-29-2016, 11:09 AM
Less.
Far fewer plays at Toga than any other track.
And I don't even bother with anything under at least 9-2.
Maybe a couple of plays a week, if that.

I was lured there more for the Red Chowder than anything on the track.

BELMONT 6-6-09
07-29-2016, 07:58 PM
Funny you should post this, I just blew through my summer bankroll with 30+ days left in the meet! The bulk of the meet are 2 year old races and turf races- neither of which are my strong suits. It's a combination of things... Bigger payouts, the uniqueness of the meet, and that its a harder meet to handicap. So many shippers- it's hard to pick out who was prepping to win at saratoga, and who's just here because they want to say they have a horse at saratoga. It's a combination of my favorite meet of the year and the most infuriating and undisciplined meet. Still love it though!

John, welcome to the forum.

salty
07-29-2016, 09:02 PM
I actually have been way to conservative on my Saratoga bets now after losing by a nose more than a few times opening weekend. I wish I went on tilt instead.

:bang:

Robes
07-29-2016, 11:32 PM
Do you find yourself making more prime plays at the Saratoga meeting? Speaking with a few of my regulars today and 4 of 5 said they forced more key plays at Saratoga. The reasons mentioned more perceived value, larger betting pools, and simply the excitement of Saratoga. They avoided my response knowing I stand pat with my one or two, possibly three daily plays whether it was the glory of the Spa or a 17 degree day at the BIG A.

I have seem more then a few disciplined players go on tilt playing Saratoga every year because of the previously mentioned temptations and it can reek havoc when these players come to the realization that they have dug themselves quite a hole after a week or so of the meeting, and instead of simply continuing to 'play their best game' day after day they chase for the purpose of beating the meeting. Well you all know of the sad stories.

It took a lot of years and money but it finally hit me about 5 year ago,,ever since then Every time I'm tempted o make bet on a Saratoga race I run to the nearest 7-11 and spent 1/2 of the money on scratch tickets and and the daily p3 and p4 much better chance to hitting those than anything at Saratoga. :bang:

ReplayRandall
07-30-2016, 01:05 AM
I'm going to give some free advice here. First of all, I'm not a tout or hooked up with anybody at the Spa, I'm getting no kickbacks. My advice would be to find the best clocker reports that you can afford, and buy them for the next 10 days. That's all the opportunity window has left for juicy prices. When you do find the clocker of your choice, pay attention to Saratoga works ONLY. The other works from other tracks mean little to nothing, right now. Of course, there will be the odd horse that wins, whatever. Focus just on the Spa works only, and it'll make a huge difference in your payoffs......Good Luck.

BELMONT 6-6-09
08-06-2016, 09:14 PM
Saratoga and Patience beat me on this Whitney Day forcing 2 wagers that should never have been made!!! Like I said previously even the most disciplined players can be weakened at the Spa.

I will have to answer to my betting log MISTAKE and move on ha ha not a positive practice for the wait and pounce horseplayer.

no breathalyzer
08-06-2016, 10:53 PM
Saratoga makes me more disciplined. because i know there is another quality race to be had with out the wait.. absolutely no need to force anything at the spa

dansan
08-06-2016, 11:39 PM
:lol: Saratoga will eat your lunch

citygoat
08-07-2016, 08:07 AM
i am struggling with 3% winning picks at Saratoga

lamboguy
08-07-2016, 09:01 AM
i am struggling with 3% winning picks at Saratogadon't feel bad, yesterday was the first day i had a winner there in 4 years. but i did make it count

burnsy
08-07-2016, 09:58 AM
Saratoga makes me more disciplined. because i know there is another quality race to be had with out the wait.. absolutely no need to force anything at the spa

This is the right way to go. Even though i have forced some bets this year. The week day cards are tough. Friday I got there too early and made a couple bets that I should not of made. I'm a control freak but even i succumb at times. But the weekend cards with the best horses offer value with some pretty logical horses. This year has been tough for me so far but yesterday and last Saturday helped a lot.....its a 6 week slog. Pace yourself and don't give up, it only takes one good ticket to make the meet. Good post no breathalyzer.

jk3521
08-07-2016, 09:58 AM
I usually make one big score that makes my meet . I missed that yesterday . I back-wheeled the :1: in the Test Stakes in the exacta and wheeled it for third in my supers. :bang: Lord, please give me another chance !

Bennie
08-07-2016, 10:21 AM
didn't start out this way but the last 2 weekends I have stuck to turf races only and have been able to keep my head above water at the Spa. Makes for some little boring breaks sometimes but worth it in the end. Like yesterday, I didn't make a bet until the 5th race. Top horse won but missed the exacta, 7th race #2 horse won, missed the exacta, 9th #2 horse won missed the exacta but caught the dd to Frosted and followed with Frosted to the winner in the 11th dd. Small profit but a profit none the less.Today I have the 1st, 5th, 7th and 8th races to look at and maybe tie in the stakes race in the 9th for a DD/pick3 wager. The one thing discipline does is let you wager a little more on fewer races, keeping in your "budget zone" and still allowing you to make some green.

BELMONT 6-6-09
08-07-2016, 10:31 AM
I usually make one big score that makes my meet . I missed that yesterday . I back-wheeled the :1: in the Test Stakes in the exacta and wheeled it for third in my supers. :bang: Lord, please give me another chance !

Tough beat!!

jk3521
08-07-2016, 12:09 PM
Tough beat!!

Yeah,kept rooting for the horse to get up for third, then second, when she hit the lead at the wire I hoped for a DQ. :D