PDA

View Full Version : John Hinckley Jr. to be released

PhantomOnTour
07-27-2016, 11:49 AM
The man who shot President Reagan in 1981 has been granted "full time convalescent leave"...

Your thoughts?
He tried to kill the POTUS, shot a few other folks in the process, my opinion is he should never get out.

Marshall Bennett
07-27-2016, 12:19 PM
Amazing a guy attempts to kill a president and leaves another man permanently brain damaged, and lives to see the light of day again. :ThmbDown:

Clocker
07-27-2016, 12:19 PM
The man who shot President Reagan in 1981 has been granted "full time convalescent leave"...

Your thoughts?
He tried to kill the POTUS, shot a few other folks in the process, my opinion is he should never get out.

He has been getting regular 'supervised visits' to his parents house, up to 10 days at a time, for the last 10-15 years. They let him out for a few days at a time and he didn't shoot anyone, so they kept letting him out more and more. :rolleyes:

If he was nuts when he shot Reagan, why is he not nuts now?

My insincere apologies to all the nuts out there who may have been offended by my politically incorrect use of the term.

horses4courses
07-27-2016, 12:29 PM
Begs the question as to just how easy
it will be for him to be armed again.

He's going to be living in a swing state, too.
Which of the current candidates impress him the most?

He'll do alright for himself, I'm sure.
Phone has to be ringing off the hook for interviews. :(

Tom
07-27-2016, 12:41 PM
Disgusting to even consider this POS for release - ever.
NO murderer should ever see the light of day again.

btw, Johnny, Jody likes TRUMP!

Saratoga_Mike
07-27-2016, 12:49 PM

Well the governor of VA recently used his executive authority to grant ex-felons the right to vote, correct? Is there a waiting period before he can vote? He'll live off the government, so I'm betting he votes for your side. You should be proud.

JustRalph
07-27-2016, 12:50 PM
I think the only person who needs to worry is Jody Foster

HalvOnHorseracing
07-27-2016, 12:51 PM

Your thoughts?

First, remember that he has not been in prison since 1981. He's been a patient at St. Elizabeth's Hospital as a result of being found not guilty by reason of insanity. Second, he's been having supervised visits with his parents for the last 15 years. All of the experts who testified at Hinckley's 2005 conditional release hearing, including the government experts, agreed that his depression and psychotic disorder were in full remission and that he should have some expanded conditions of release.

Clearly, the emotional response to who he attempted to assassinate would lead many to want to see him receive some sort of lifetime punishment. In fact, the psychiatric hospital is not exactly like prison. Early in his stay Hinckley said on normal days he would "see a therapist, answer mail, play guitar, listen to music, play pool, watch television, eat lousy food and take delicious medication."

Recently, Hinckley has been given eight 17-day visits with his parents a year. That's about a third of the year out of the hospital.

A couple of things are important to consider. One, the psychiatrists agree that he is no longer a danger to himself or others. Two, he's been outside the hospital quite often without incident.

So the question is, given the law in place at the time regarding insanity verdicts (it's been changed since then) which essentially said he was subject to confinement until doctors determined he was no longer a danger to himself or others, does it make sense to get agitated about giving him further punishment when it is simply not an option?

In 2016 Hinckley would have never been found not guilty by reason of insanity in most jurisdictions. The height of the bar has changed. If the Aurora Theater shooter wasn't insane, it would be hard to imagine who is.

The real issue is what do you do with the people who are clearly delusional and commit heinous crimes. Currently we do lock them up and throw away the key. But if you believe Hinckley's doctors, perhaps after 35 years of treatment they can be considered cured and released.

Saratoga_Mike
07-27-2016, 12:55 PM
Disgusting to even consider this POS for release - ever.
NO murderer should ever see the light of day again.

btw, Johnny, Jody likes TRUMP!

And James Brady's ultimate cause of death was determined to be the Hinkley bullet.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/crime/james-bradys-death-ruled-homicide-by-dc-medical-examiner/2014/08/08/686de224-1f41-11e4-82f9-2cd6fa8da5c4_story.html

He'll immediately sign up for disability benefits, which will most likely also make him eligible for free healthcare in VA (via Medicaid). Waiting for MostPost to tell us if he'll be granted the right to vote in the election, not sure on that one.

JustRalph
07-27-2016, 12:58 PM

He is barred from doing interviews

Saratoga_Mike
07-27-2016, 12:59 PM
The real issue is what do you do with the people who are clearly delusional and commit heinous crimes. Currently we do lock them up and throw away the key. But if you believe Hinckley's doctors, perhaps after 35 years of treatment they can be considered cured and released.

This really isn't a hand-wringing decision, imo. He shot a president and ultimately killed James Brady. He belongs in prison.

Would you want him living next to you? Would you want your wife home alone with him next door? Of course not. There's your answer. Plenty of gray in the world, not here.

Saratoga_Mike
07-27-2016, 01:00 PM

Outrageous! He has First Amendment rights.

Fager Fan
07-27-2016, 01:20 PM
I believe he is/was mentally ill and 30+ years of his life is punishment enough.

Saratoga_Mike
07-27-2016, 01:22 PM
I believe he is/was mentally ill and 30+ years of his life is punishment enough.

I wonder if Mrs. Brady agrees? She may; some people are very forgiving.

Tom
07-27-2016, 02:26 PM
Outrageous! He has First Amendment rights.

Hillary should get him to speak at the DNC Hogfest and Barn Dance about how lax gun laws failed to prevent his act of violence.

boxcar
07-27-2016, 03:38 PM

How 'bout book writing? Gotta be an instant Bestseller in this perverse culture.

OntheRail
07-27-2016, 04:47 PM
Well the governor of VA recently used his executive authority to grant ex-felons the right to vote, correct? Is there a waiting period before he can vote? He'll live off the government, so I'm betting he votes for your side. You should be proud.

VA's High Court put a cork in that... saying not so fast SKippy on that blanket reinstating of voting rights to EX-Felons. No no... has to be reviewed case by case. ;)

As for John Hinckley... should of been buzzard food years ago. But hey maybe Obama can invite him at the White House for dinner and drinks.

Saratoga_Mike
07-27-2016, 04:48 PM
VA's High Court put a cork in that... saying not so fast SKippy on that blanket reinstating of voting rights to EX-Felons. No no... has to be reviewed case by case. ;)

As for John Hinckley... should of been buzzard food years ago. But hey maybe Obama can invite him at the White House for dinner and drinks.

Thanks - I did miss that.

boxcar
07-27-2016, 04:49 PM

I'm just worried that the Witch might get to Hinckley and convince him to accept a contract from her to do one more job before retiring.

HalvOnHorseracing
07-27-2016, 05:11 PM
Thanks - I did miss that.
I don't know how Hinckley fits in on voting, but the fact that he was found not guilty seems like it would not make him an ex-felon. I wonder if he had been voting while at the hospital. Constitutionally, it doesn't say anywhere that you have to have all your marbles to vote in America.

Saratoga_Mike
07-27-2016, 05:17 PM
I don't know how Hinckley fits in on voting, but the fact that he was found not guilty seems like it would not make him an ex-felon. I wonder if he had been voting while at the hospital. Constitutionally, it doesn't say anywhere that you have to have all your marbles to vote in America.

Good pt - looks like it depends on the state.

http://www.866ourvote.org/newsroom/publications/body/0049.pdf

zico20
07-27-2016, 05:31 PM
I think the ironic thing is if he was found guilty of attempted murder he probably would have been released long ago. Most people do not serve 31 years in prison for attempted murder.

Marshall Bennett
07-27-2016, 05:43 PM
I think the ironic thing is if he was found guilty of attempted murder he probably would have been released long ago. Most people do not serve 31 years in prison for attempted murder.
I believe in this case he would. An attempted assassination and shooting Brady in the head, should be in the eyes of any court enough to put him away for life.

barahona44
07-27-2016, 05:47 PM
Or to run for office, either. :)

barahona44
07-27-2016, 06:19 PM
Squeaky Fromme served 34 years for trying to assassinate Gerald Ford and she never even got off a shot.Of course she also attacked another inmate with a claw hammer and briefly escaped which also added to her sentence.

Sara Moore who tried to kill Ford a couple of weeks later,and got two shots off, slightly wounding a cab driver from a richochet, got 32 years before being paroled.

So given the severity of what happened,Hinckley got off comparatively lightly.

boxcar
07-27-2016, 07:51 PM
Constitutionally, it doesn't say anywhere that you have to have all your marbles to vote in America.

The last two presidential elections prove the truth of that conclusively.

BELMONT 6-6-09
07-27-2016, 08:29 PM
The last two presidential elections prove the truth of that conclusively.

How true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EMD4ME
07-27-2016, 09:06 PM
I think the only person who needs to worry is Jody Foster

:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :lol: :lol: :lol: I LOVE IT!!!

Actor
07-27-2016, 10:47 PM
The last two presidential elections prove the truth of that conclusively.It was 2000 & 2004 last two that proved that.

Jess Hawsen Arown
07-28-2016, 12:53 PM
Squeaky Fromme served 34 years for trying to assassinate Gerald Ford and she never even got off a shot.Of course she also attacked another inmate with a claw hammer and briefly escaped which also added to her sentence.

Sara Moore who tried to kill Ford a couple of weeks later,and got two shots off, slightly wounding a cab driver from a richochet, got 32 years before being paroled.

So given the severity of what happened,Hinckley got off comparatively lightly.

When you are deemed mentally incapacitated, there is no timetable.

Clocker
07-28-2016, 12:55 PM
When you are deemed mentally incapacitated, there is no timetable.

Not so. That's why we have presidential term limits. :cool:

jk3521
07-28-2016, 03:01 PM
I saw an interview a few months back taken with neighbors of his parents and someone stated that he appeared "creepy". When I heard that, I thought that for sure he wouldn"t be released. And with us getting a brand new fresh president coming into office this coming winter, I hope he is going to be watched very closely by the Secret Service. He will be living with his 90 yr old mother, what happens when she passes ?

Marshall Bennett
07-28-2016, 05:52 PM
He will be living with his 90 yr old mother, what happens when she passes ?
He'll be paying his own bills? His ability to kill again isn't going to be stopped by his 90 yr old mom anyway. By the time she wakes up and notices he's gone is plenty of time for him to do whatever he intends to do.
The whole notion of the jerk being free is a sham.

reckless
07-28-2016, 08:58 PM

Regardless of one's personal political leanings -- or maybe in spite of -- the last line in your post is proven correct every election year. :)

barahona44
07-28-2016, 09:17 PM
He'll be paying his own bills? His ability to kill again isn't going to be stopped by his 90 yr old mom anyway. By the time she wakes up and notices he's gone is plenty of time for him to do whatever he intends to do.
The whole notion of the jerk being free is a sham.
There was no mention of wearing an ankle bracelet, just has to have a trackable cell phone, go to therapy once a week, stay 50 miles within his mother's house and notify people when he leaves his home, although if there's no ankle bracelet.... I'm sure he has been zombied up on enough pharmaceuticals so he's not a threat. He also from a well off family so there may be some kind of trust fund for his bills.

I feel though, if only for symbolic reasons, he shouldn't have been released.

reckless
07-28-2016, 09:23 PM
Since Hinckley wasn't convicted of attempted murder due to the fact he was declared mentally insane why is it that people resent his release after all these years?

Since he shot president Reagan in Washington DC, he basically got a free pass due to the DC law at the time -- which has since been changed because of this shooting. If the shooting took place in Maryland or Virginia (or anywhere else for that matter), he'd have been incarcerated for life, regardless of his mental state.

Not only was the venue in Hinckley's favor, but he also got lucky that James Brady lived 33 years after the shooting. While it was determined that Hinckley's bullet that struck Brady eventually was the cause of Brady's death, Hinckley beat that murder rap too under a law known as a 'Year and a Day Rule.' Had Brady died within a year and a day of the shooting, Hinckley would have been charged with murder and probably imprisioned for life, again, regardless of his mental state.

(Yes, I know, the Virginia medical examiner ruled his death a homicide due to this shooting.)