PDA

View Full Version : reality check

Capper Al
07-26-2016, 11:43 AM
Just wondering if it's known that our founding fathers didn't create the Pledge of Allegiance or put "In God We Trust" on our currency. President Eisenhower did this in the fifties. The Religious Right likes to lie through omission a lot. Taught this might help calm down some radicals around here.

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/president-eisenhower-signs-in-god-we-trust-into-law

riskman
07-26-2016, 12:06 PM
Just wondering if it's known that our founding fathers didn't create the Pledge of Allegiance or put "In God We Trust" on our currency. President Eisenhower did this in the fifties. The Religious Right likes to lie through omission a lot. Taught this might help calm down some radicals around here.

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/president-eisenhower-signs-in-god-we-trust-into-law

Thanks for the history lesson.
What about the religious left? Are they also radicals?

boxcar
07-26-2016, 12:11 PM

Thanks, teach for your "taught". :ThmbUp:

Clocker
07-26-2016, 12:26 PM

Thank you for settling one of the burning issues of the day. Now we can move on to the existential threat of air conditioning.

Jess Hawsen Arown
07-26-2016, 12:54 PM

Lies by Omission. You mean like you just did being purposely deceptive. You left out the next sentence after the part about Eisenhower signing the law about PAPER currency. "The phrase had been placed on U.S. coins since the Civil War when, according to the historical association of the United States Treasury, religious sentiment reached a peak. Eisenhower’s treasury secretary, George Humphrey, had suggested adding the phrase to paper currency as well"

To make it seem that President Eisenhower was responsible for the phrase on our money was a partial truth, ergo LIES BY OMISSION.

I'm glad you brought up Lies By Omission, because the liberals have that down to a science (as you just proved). Lies By Omission is frequently more deceptive than straight out lies.

If you identify the phantom Religious Right individuals guilty of this heinous crime, I would be more than happy to join you in chastising them in their errors.

We can never have too much knowledge. The knowledge, by itself does not increase our intelligence. It is what we do with that knowledge that measures our intelligence.

boxcar
07-26-2016, 12:59 PM
We can never have too much knowledge. The knowledge, by itself does not increase our intelligence. It is what we do with that knowledge that measures our intelligence.

Or more accurately: It measures our wisdom; for wisdom is the practical application of knowledge.

boxcar
07-26-2016, 01:02 PM
Thank you for settling one of the burning issues of the day. Now we can move on to the existential threat of air conditioning.

I think this is a much bigger threat than radical Islam. So please...don't make light of this very real threat to our very existence.

Boxcar
P.S. As soon as the temp drops down to 80 today here in Swampland, I'm shutting off my a/c to help save the planet. :p

garyscpa
07-26-2016, 01:02 PM

So you're saying Eisenhower created the Pledge of Allegiance? Reading comprehension is not your strong suit. You were 0 for 2.

Capper Al
07-26-2016, 01:40 PM
Just ha ing some fun. Have a good day.

Boris
07-26-2016, 02:02 PM
Just ha ing some fun. Have a good day.
Ever heard of bowling? It's like posting and you can still keep drinking.

Clocker
07-26-2016, 02:21 PM

But posting doesn't require near as much thought for some.

boxcar
07-26-2016, 02:28 PM

Capper Al is living proof that one can drink and type all at once and simultaneously. :jump:

Capper Al
07-26-2016, 03:36 PM

Not a good bowler, and I can't drink much anymore.

dartman51
07-26-2016, 05:49 PM
Or more accurately: It measures our wisdom; for wisdom is the practical application of knowledge.

Yes, knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to use it in a fruit salad. ;)

MONEY
07-26-2016, 06:04 PM
Yes, knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit

Not according to the U.S. Supreme Court,
Fruit versus vegetable
This dispute has led to legal speculation in the United States. In 1887, U.S. tariff laws that imposed a duty on vegetables, but not on fruits, caused the tomato's status to become a matter of legal importance. The U.S. Supreme Court settled this controversy on 10 May 1893, by declaring that the tomato is a vegetable, based on the popular definition that classifies vegetables by use, that they are generally served with dinner and not dessert (Nix v. Hedden (149 U.S. 304)). The holding of this case applies only to the interpretation of the Tariff Act of 3 March 1883, and the court did not purport to reclassify the tomato for botanical or other purposes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomato

ArlJim78
07-26-2016, 07:31 PM
who was worked up about this, lied about it, or had even expressed any concern whatsoever?

Capper Al
07-26-2016, 07:42 PM
Not according to the U.S. Supreme Court,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomato

And it was a conservative supreme court.

Clocker
07-26-2016, 08:20 PM
And it was a conservative supreme court.

Don't you just hate it when conservatives legislate from the bench about the identity politics of vegetables. :p

fast4522
07-26-2016, 08:50 PM
I think this is a much bigger threat than radical Islam. So please...don't make light of this very real threat to our very existence.

Boxcar
P.S. As soon as the temp drops down to 80 today here in Swampland, I'm shutting off my a/c to help save the planet. :p

Best not remove that a/c from the window Boxie, your going to need in in November when democrats get set on fire in the election.

Tom
07-26-2016, 09:59 PM
Originally Posted by Clocker

I heard those ISIS terrorist on France installed central AC in that church before they were killed.

Tom
07-26-2016, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the history lesson.
What about the religious left? Are they also radicals?

Religious LEFT? :confused: :confused: :confused:

JustRalph
07-26-2016, 10:26 PM
I heard those ISIS terrorist on France installed central AC in that church before they were killed.

You're killing me.......😂

If it wasn't such a horrible event........damn. Beheaded an 84 yr old Priest. And our crazy mixed up pansy ass world is used to it.......