PDA

View Full Version : Question about broodmares

PhantomOnTour
07-25-2016, 11:56 PM
Looking at the 6th race at Sar for this Weds 7/27.

The #5 Theatric is out of Ashado, a multiple GrStks winner including a few Gr1's. Looks like she retired after the 2005 BrCup Distaff.
Since then she's only produced 3 runners so far after 10yrs on the farm (okay, let's call it 8yrs since any babies she's had in the last few years haven't made it to the track yet).
Wiki search shows a miscarriage in 2008 and no foal in 2010. She was bred to Street Cry four straight years from 2009-2012. I can't find any info on her foals from 2011 & 2012. The above mentioned 3yr old filly was born in 2013.

Questions:
Is it common for a mare to be bred to the same sire like this, esp for 4 straight years?
Would the fact that only 3 runners have even hit the track be a factor in your handicapping? The filly in question has had two races already and improved a lot in her last, so the question may not apply so well in this instance, but you get my drift.

As a comparison, and a pretty cool one at that, check out the #4 Blenheim Place in the same race. She is out of Pleasant Home, who I believe also retired at the end of 2005...after beating Ashado in the BrCup Distaff :ThmbUp:
This mare has 5 foals who've made it to the races in presumably the same amount of years on the farm, and 4 are winners. She's apparently not worthy of a Wiki page so I don't have any more info on her foals.

affirmedny
07-26-2016, 01:01 AM
Looking at the 6th race at Sar for this Weds 7/27.

The #5 Theatric is out of Ashado, a multiple GrStks winner including a few Gr1's. Looks like she retired after the 2005 BrCup Distaff.
Since then she's only produced 3 runners so far after 10yrs on the farm (okay, let's call it 8yrs since any babies she's had in the last few years haven't made it to the track yet).
Wiki search shows a miscarriage in 2008 and no foal in 2010. She was bred to Street Cry four straight years from 2009-2012. I can't find any info on her foals from 2011 & 2012. The above mentioned 3yr old filly was born in 2013.

Questions:
Is it common for a mare to be bred to the same sire like this, esp for 4 straight years?
Would the fact that only 3 runners have even hit the track be a factor in your handicapping? The filly in question has had two races already and improved a lot in her last, so the question may not apply so well in this instance, but you get my drift.

As a comparison, and a pretty cool one at that, check out the #4 Blenheim Place in the same race. She is out of Pleasant Home, who I believe also retired at the end of 2005...after beating Ashado in the BrCup Distaff :ThmbUp:
This mare has 5 foals who've made it to the races in presumably the same amount of years on the farm, and 4 are winners. She's apparently not worthy of a Wiki page so I don't have any more info on her foals.

look here

http://www.pedigreequery.com/progeny/ashado

Mlnolan00
07-26-2016, 02:05 AM
Ditto on the pedigreequery.com progeny section for good info like this although I will say that 2015 foal they have listed is not correct. 2015 Ashado is a Tapit filly and 2016 Ashado is a Lemon Drop Kid filly.

She was barren for those two years you listed and does seem like none of her foals have really done anything on the track of note, though it looks like her first foal by Storm Cat stands at stud in Indiana fwiw.

As far as your first question, I'm not a pedigree guru but it does seem looking at the most productive foals by Street Cry (a Darley stallion and also who own Ashado) that there was a pattern in the pedigree that they almost ALL possessed.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/street+sense

http://www.pedigreequery.com/long+john7

http://www.pedigreequery.com/new+years+day4

And now here is the pedigree of Ashado's first foal by Street Cry: http://www.pedigreequery.com/steele+road

Do you see the pattern? I'm no expert but I'm willing to bet money Darley were trying to find mares where they could get that duplication of Natalma (Blue Hen dam of Northern Dancer and numerous other stakes winners) without inbreeding to Northrrn Dancer. Reinforcing and inbreeding to famous broodmares through the full or half siblings, especially via daughters, those Blue Hens produce is a classic method to instill "class" into a pedigree but via more recessive genes.

That's my best guess anyway why she was sent to Street Cry so often, so the foal would have that duplicate of Natalma present in so many of the sire's best runners.

And yeah, Pleasant Home was terrific beating Ashado that day in BC and you should play around with checking out her pedigree on pedigreequery if you have time because it's tremendous. These are the siblings to Pleasant Home http://www.pedigreequery.com/progeny/our+country+place
and you'll probably recognize some names because they include the dams of Boca Grand and Pine Island and Point of Entry. Going back further, this is the family of Dayjur, Violence, Sky Beauty, Gold Beauty, etc. A super productive line for generations.

One last random note, half-siblings to each other are entered in Races 5 and 6 at Sar Wed in that 2yo Zero Zee R5 and 3yo Tizacity in R6 are both out of the mare Vindy City which is kind of fun.

PhantomOnTour
07-26-2016, 12:04 PM
Thank you for the info :ThmbUp:

JustRalph
07-26-2016, 12:33 PM
She was a runner ........checked YouTube. They have some of her races online.

chadk66
07-26-2016, 12:59 PM
it's not common to breed a mare to the same stallion four consecutive years. this happens for a variety of reasons.
1-broodmare owner owns a share in the stallion
2-the nick is incredible between the two
3-first foal looked so good they brought her back
4-stallion owner likes the mare so much they breed her for free

Fager Fan
07-26-2016, 02:56 PM
Ashado is owned by Darley, and they were breeding her to a top Darley stallion. I don't see anything unusual, they must've liked the nick and/or the looks of the first foals.

As for betting on this offspring of Ashado, I wouldn't worry about prior offspring that didn't make it to the track. This one did, so unsoundness in the others doesn't really matter. You could consider whether the ones who did make it to the track did well, but if this one's already run, that alone is the best clue as to how it will do going forward.

tucker6
07-26-2016, 03:27 PM
Ashado is owned by Darley, and they were breeding her to a top Darley stallion. I don't see anything unusual, they must've liked the nick and/or the looks of the first foals.

As for betting on this offspring of Ashado, I wouldn't worry about prior offspring that didn't make it to the track. This one did, so unsoundness in the others doesn't really matter. You could consider whether the ones who did make it to the track did well, but if this one's already run, that alone is the best clue as to how it will do going forward.
The Bride came to mind when I read that sentence. The next foal out of that mare by the same stallion did okay. :D

chadk66
07-27-2016, 08:01 PM
Here is a personal example. My brother and I own a broodmare. She was a 200K earner that ran until she was ten years old. Never had a soundness issue her whole life. We also own a share in Kela. The two of them have and A+ nick I believe. Her first foal ran last week. Didn't show much at all. But the mare really didn't run well until she was 5 years old. The one that just ran is three. However, the full sibling (filly) that is a two year old right now is working like a monster. Bullet 5/8 work from the gate 100.3 the other day. But was never asked and did it as easy as could be. Her full brothers best 5/9 was something around 103. She will race first week of aug if all goes well. The owners of the first foal didn't even train him as a two year old. Right now the two year old would lay an ass whoopin on the three year old. Horses are strange that way.