PDA

View Full Version : Dean crushes Nader on NPR

Secretariat
07-10-2004, 02:44 AM
Dean hits Nader where it hurts

The man who revived the Democrats' fighting spirit hammers the spoiler on his ties to right-wing moneyed interests.

- - - - - - - - - - - -
By Mary Jacoby

July 10, 2004 | WASHINGTON -- Howard Dean wasted little time getting to the point in a debate with third-party presidential candidate Ralph Nader on Friday. After listening to Nader's standard posturing about how only he can save the Democratic Party and the nation from the "corporate interests" that have consumed politics and government, the former Vermont governor struck hard: "Ralph, I think you're being disingenuous about your candidacy this year."

In his rapid-fire delivery, the onetime Democratic presidential front-runner rattled off all the ways he saw Nader as a hypocrite: Nearly half the signatures Nader gathered in a failed attempt to get on the Arizona ballot were from Republicans. A significant amount of his campaign kitty comes from Bush-Cheney donors. And, said Dean, "you accepted the support of a right-wing, fanatic Republican group that is antigay in order to help you get on the ballot in Oregon" -- a reference to the Oregon Family Council, which produces a "Christian Voter Guide" and campaigns against gay marriage.

"This is not going to help the progressive cause in America," Dean continued. "The thing that upsets me so much about this is, you have the right to ... get in bed with whoever you want to, but don't call the Democratic Party full of corporate interests. They have their problems, we all have ours, none of us are pure. And this campaign of yours is far from pure."

Dean's riff was greeted with gleeful applause, and Nader appeared momentarily shaken by its ferocity. Dean insisted, "My purpose here is not to smear Ralph Nader," which prompted Nader to respond sarcastically, "Oh, no. Not at all!"

Because the debate was sponsored by the scrupulously evenhanded National Public Radio, the room at the National Press Club was filled with equal numbers of the opposing camps. The Nader section tried to pump some wind back into their guy, squealing with laughter at his teenager-like rejoinder. Dean plowed through their applause. "I urge you not to turn your back on your own legacy," he pleaded to the consumer advocate.

kenwoodallpromos
07-10-2004, 03:25 AM
Too bad the debate was sponsored by the Fed NPR. I'm sure you believe they are inpartial.
What you reported covered a couple of minutes of Dean admitting the Repub voters decided to sign Nader's petritions- they are also the main ones who signed Perot's. The Demos are not interested in allowing 3rd parties to conpete. That is why Kerry would not debate Nader.

Figman
07-10-2004, 07:01 AM
Dean didn't get the job done. His purpose was to get Nader to quit the race and not pull votes from the Kerry-Edwards ticket.

In Vermont, Dean didn't get the job done....the State is an economic nightmare.

As a horseracing fan, Dean didn't get the job done....he personally blocked Green Mountain Park from reopening despite the wishes of Democrats, Independents and Republicans in the Pownal, VT area desparately wanting work that a reopened racetrack would offer.

Dean is a "history" and a bad memory as well!

Dan Montilion
07-10-2004, 07:28 AM
Dean hits Nader where it hurts?

Could have read...

Bachigalupe better than Ed at tiddly winks.

For all that it matters.

Dan (If they debate with guns I'll watch) Montilion

Tom
07-10-2004, 11:20 AM
NPR.....well, that was heard by 10's of people at least!