PDA

View Full Version : Tomlinson and Beyer Rating

CryingForTheHorses
07-09-2004, 05:12 PM
Im just wondering on how the Tomlinson rating works?
Does Andy beyer give 4 points per beaten length?.Was a lot easier when we just had a speed rating and a track varent for the day.
This Tomlinson thing has me wondering

cj
07-09-2004, 06:07 PM
Tomlinson is all about breeding. It has nothing to do with Beyers.

Beyer uses a sliding scale for beaten lengths. The shorter the race, the more points a beaten lengths costs the horse. It would have to be a very short race to be 4 points though, like the 3 to 4 furlong range.

kenwoodallpromos
07-12-2004, 02:14 AM
Since CRC Saturday times seemed fast, its variants may be smaller than normal for 7-10-04.

mudnturf
07-13-2004, 01:31 PM
I wrote an article about the Tomlinson Ratings that appears in the current (July) issue of "American Turf Monthly".

It's entitled "Making The Most Of The Tomlinson Ratings".
If anyone has not seen it and would like a copy, I'd be happy to send it to electronically.

Just drop me a note at mudders@optonline.net.

cj
07-14-2004, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the article, it was very good.

Today's 8th at Belmont was a textbook example from the article. The race was off the turf, and many scratched. The 4 horse had figures as good as the 1-2 favorite, though they were earned on the turf. The Turf Tommy for the 4 horse was 272, indicating the horse may actually be better on dirt.

At 2-1, I'd pass...but at 8-1, it was a nice bet. $19 on top.

I did notice a different scale of ratings. The DRF says 280 for turf and 320 for off tracks are benchmarks, while your article states 300-T and 350-Off. Why the change? Also a sliding scale for different distances.

mudnturf
07-14-2004, 10:30 PM
CJ
Sorry for the confusion. I wasn't aware of that.
Actually, the DRF has it right...280 turf / 320 mud-slop.
I erred in writing the article.
However, when deciding among contenders, the most important number is the DIFFERENCE in the ratings between one runner and another.

kenwoodallpromos
07-15-2004, 02:51 AM
You may not know, and I forgot, The Muddr/ Lee T. who wrote the article IS THE Mr. Tomlinson.