PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga: Sat., July 23

Teach
07-23-2016, 11:40 AM
Race One:

:7: Afleet Martini. Break alertly. Stalk. Top of stretch: Pounce! Buda Bing! :3: Money Changer. Would like him more but he seems to be going, retrograde. If he turns it around…Attento! :1: Zamjara has faced better. Yet, I fear he’ll get trapped down inside. A box. Doesn’t appear to have enough early speed to grab the lead. Can Johnny V. angle in time? :5: Battle Midway is “da sleeper”. In a race that begs for a closer, this Nick Zito-trainee might just be coming on fastest of all.

Race Two:

:2: Conquest Sure Shot is stretching out. This highly-priced Johannesburg-bred colt should relish the added distance of ground. Trainer Mark Casse does well with second career starts. :6: One of a Kind is a well-bred, e.g., Lemon Drop Kid (remember him in the 2000 Travers and 1999 Belmont Stakes) bay colt who was second in the slop at Churchill about a month ago. Should take to the lawn. :1: Master Merion was second in a grass sprint a little over a month ago. Question: Can this colt handle the added distance, or is sprinting his game? If the former is true, can be a factor. :3: Lucky Lou Pal with Irad. Nuff Said. Appears to want to go longer. Might. I repeat: might add value to your ticket.

Race Three:

“Mirror, mirror, on the wall…” I see five horses in their stalls…er, I mean The Grade III Sanford (remember Dehere in 1993). :2: Random Walk (not to be confused with the Lambeth Walk) gets my tepid nod in this highly-contested five-horse graded-sprint. Frankly, I was impressed with Random Walk’s maiden-breaking effort at Belmont about a month and a-half ago. Sharp morning work signals readiness. :5: Bitumen is the “other” horse. He may be able to run just outside the leaders and then, in the stretch, make his move. If there’s anyone with the kind of patience necessary to pull all this off, it’s the veteran reinsman, Javier Castellano. Then, there the :4: , Bronson, he scored at Monmouth a little over a month ago and :1: Zartera, he broke his maiden at first asking at Churchill.

Race Four:

“Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men…?” :7: Onlytheshadowknows. This Jimmy Bond-trained, Ghostzapper-bred gelding, is shortening up and dropping in “for a tag”. That just might be the prescription for a trip to the winner’s circle. Yet, a lengthy time on the bench does cause concern. Also, morning works are nuthin' to write home about. Yet… Eric Cancel is most capable in the irons. Others that merit consideration are: :8: Come as You Are; :3: Chomsky; :4: Tree Top Lover.

Race Five:

:3: Canadian Flyer will need to leave the gate alertly in this 5 and ½ panel sprint on the rye. The slight cut-back does help; yet, the start of this race is critical. A sharp morning work boosts sentiment. Bill Mott, the Hall of Famer, for another Hall of Famer, Johnny V. Two outside horses catch my eye, both coming out of the same race, :10: Cort (he went off the chalk in his last at 3-1) and :11: Rootformejustin. Then, there’s the :8: Lord of Love who finished second in the aforementioned July 1 race.

Race Six:

:6: Forge is my pick. The veteran Javier Castellano is in the irons for trainer Chad Brown. Solid breeding. Solid morning work-tab. Solid jockey. Solid trainer. “Who could ask for anything more?” (Thank you, George & Ira).

Others: :5: , :8: , :2:

Race Seven:

:2: Inordinate won his last at Belmont in this OC company. No reason to believe this Harlan’s Holiday-bred bay colt can’t repeat his visit to the winner’s circle. The most capable Javier Castellano is back in the irons for trainer Chad Brown. This 4 year-old meets no better than he defeated (narrowly) in his last. Others: :4: , :8: , :9:

Race Eight:

:2: Our Way gets my nod in this one-mile route on The Inner. This Jimmy Bond trainee was a closing third in his last about one month and a-half ago. Any slight improvement… This Tizway-bred has hit the tote in four out of six turf tries. Jose Ortiz gets the call. Others: :1: / :1a:; :7:; :9:

Race Nine:

In this allowance route, n1x, I’m picking the D. Wayne Lukas-trained :1: Gray Sky. This highly-priced Tapit-bred was second as a 16-1 shot in the Grade III Matt Winn at Churchill a little over a month ago. Earlier in the year, this colt competed in, yet finished off the board in the Grade I Arkansas Derby at Oaklawn. He has faced better. The colt “bulleted” a recent 3-panel work. Others: :4: , :3: , :2:

Race Ten:

In the 9-panels on the turf Grade I Diana, I’m picking :2: Miss Temple City. This Temple City-bred 4 year-old filly was last seen “across the pond” at Ascot in the Duke of Cambridge; she finished fourth. Yet, prior to that, she won a Grade I Stakes at Keeneland. Drayden Van Dyke rides for Graham Motion. Others: :4: , :6: , :7:

Race Eleven:

In the finale, I'm going with :1: Imposter (POE). This 5 year-old gelding won his last in this company. He does stretch out here; yet he should handle the added panel+. Phil Serpe does exceptionally well with claim repeaters. Luis Saez is in the irons. Others: :2: , :4: , :10:

Nitro
07-23-2016, 06:34 PM
Some nice handicapping today Teach :ThmbUp: