PDA

View Full Version : Another idiotic cop shooting

zico20
07-21-2016, 07:20 PM
A black therapist was with his autistic patient lying in the street with his hands up when the cop opened fire and shot him in the leg. The guy said he was unarmed and was worried about is patient who was playing with a toy truck. The video, 2nd below in the article, is all here to watch also. I can't believe what some cops are thinking. Truly pathetic. Thank God he was not killed or there would be another round of cop killings.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/07/21/south-florida-police-shoot-autistic-mans-caretaker-as-lies-in-street.html

Show Me the Wire
07-21-2016, 07:58 PM
Shameful. Disturbing and worrisome that a police officer, armed with deadly force weapons, is incapable of correctly analyzing the situation.

tucker6
07-21-2016, 08:03 PM
Shameful. Disturbing and worrisome that a police officer, armed with deadly force weapons, is incapable of correctly analyzing the situation.
Easy for you and I to say. We don't go to work with people gunning for us. The jumpiness of cops these days can directly be laid at the feet of the BLM movement.

Tom
07-21-2016, 08:25 PM
What did the guy who got shot do to rattle the cop.
Looks like this cop needs to find another profession.

After he gets out of jail, which is where his ass belongs.

Show Me the Wire
07-21-2016, 08:58 PM
Easy for you and I to say. We don't go to work with people gunning for us. The jumpiness of cops these days can directly be laid at the feet of the BLM movement.

No it is not easy for me to say. And you don't know if I ever had people gunning for me when I went to work.

I understand they have a dangerous job. Neither you or I force them to be a police officer. It was their choice. And yes some people do gun for them. However, if they are that jumpy that their reason is so clouded by fear, they should not be police officers.

I am not a supporter of the BLM movement, nor have I weighed in on the other recent shootings by officers, because I give them the benefit of doubt, until all the facts are known. However, in this case the situation is pretty evident.

Yes, they were responding to call about a man with a gun threatening suicide. Once they arrived they did not correctly analyze the situation. Also, the victim had his hands up over his head, when you hear shots being fired.

Fager Fan
07-21-2016, 09:36 PM
I'm having a hard time coming up with a scenario that justifies shooting the man. I'm only glad that he didn't shoot to kill (I've often wondered why more cops don't shoot in a leg instead of torso).

Hank
07-21-2016, 09:41 PM

:lol: :lol:

barahona44
07-21-2016, 10:10 PM
I'm having a hard time coming up with a scenario that justifies shooting the man. I'm only glad that he didn't shoot to kill (I've often wondered why more cops don't shoot in a leg instead of torso).
Mostly because you only shoot someone if your life or the life of someone else is in danger.Shooting to wound still makes them dangerous.

JustRalph
07-21-2016, 10:13 PM
Some days you gotta just shake your head.......WTH?

kevb
07-22-2016, 04:42 AM

Aiming for the leg is crediting this cop with way more skill than he apparently has. The police dept released a statement saying he hit the wrong guy! He was aiming for the patient! Three shots at a very large sitting target and he hits the caregiver rather than the patient. Sheesh.

And his judgement is even worse than his aim.

sammy the sage
07-22-2016, 07:02 AM
Aiming for the leg is crediting this cop with way more skill than he apparently has. The police dept released a statement saying he hit the wrong guy! He was aiming for the patient! Three shots at a very large sitting target and he hits the caregiver rather than the patient. Sheesh.

They HAD to put THAT out...or the riots would be coming...although it means a BIGGER settlement for the person shot...that will BE in the end...MUCH cheaper and safer for community involved... :eek:

Inner Dirt
07-22-2016, 07:16 AM
They HAD to put THAT out...or the riots would be coming...although it means a BIGGER settlement for the person shot...that will BE in the end...MUCH cheaper and safer for community involved... :eek:

I sure wish he had a president who wasn't a divisive POS and a closeted racist. A real leader who brings people together would call out the media for pushing a racist agenda at every turn. Unfortunately Obama only cares about his party being in power, his own legacy (what a joke) and nothing else. Once again it is "Unarmed Black man shot by police", which implies racism is involved. Instead of "Poorly trained cop panics, over reacts, shoots bystander while trying to shoot handicapped guy playing with a toy truck in the street."
If you believe the liberal media cops only shoot black men and nothing else.

PICSIX
07-22-2016, 07:19 AM

I know the owner of an indoor shooting range. He says the cops are the worst shooters in the place, and he's a former police officer!

Fager Fan
07-22-2016, 08:25 AM

I'll second your sheesh.

I do wonder what the two were doing camped out in the middle of the street. That's dangerous, and a therapist should have some responsibility in getting a handicapped patient out of path of danger?

Also, where did call come from that someone was in the middle of the road with a gun threatening suicide?

ebcorde
07-22-2016, 11:06 AM
I know the owner of an indoor shooting range. He says the cops are the worst shooters in the place, and he's a former police officer!

lol. I heard it was 3 shots. two bad things happened the shooting and they let him lie there and bleed out for 20 minutes. Since when did Police sanction you bleed to death? Dead men tell no tales.

ebcorde
07-22-2016, 11:25 AM
why did he shoot the guy who did not fit the description.
why didn't they know there was a group homes(s) in the area.
They need to start writing summary offenses for these 911 callers

I worked my last year in college in a group home and I had a guy who would walk off, walk fast too. Thank God I was always able to find him fast, I would felt really bad if he got hurt or hit by a car. Group Homes are not easy. Thing is he probably had 2-3 people he was looking after.

My guess is some young guy worker taught that kid those curse words as a joke or most likely yelled those exact words at him. It's a shame not all the workers are nice people and these mentally handicapped people remember. I really felt bad when I left. They trusted me, I came back to visit 2x, it was not the same, I could see they felt let down.

There's no money in the system for these people. who cleans? who does the laundry? I had 3 adult males , in 9 months only 1 visit from their family.

Wendy's! they hated McDonalds :D one adult could not talk, another had the language skills of a 2 year old, yet when asked the choice Macs or Wendy's, Hands down Wendy's,

And lots picnics to get out of the SMELLY house. I never had money to do that. one had to use your own.

highnote
07-23-2016, 02:44 PM

Not only did the shooter say he missed the target, but he is also on the SWAT team. Holy shit! If he isn't a liar then he must be embarrassed at being such a lousy shot.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was hungry to shoot someone. I saw a SWAT guy called to a scene one time. He said with a smile on his face, "The shooting is going to start soon." It was disturbing. He was excited about the prospect of killing someone -- a man that I knew. Fortunately, calmer minds prevailed and the suspect, a mentally ill man, surrendered without incident after a family member arrived and spoke to him. True story.

The man was hospitalized and given the medicine he needed and is fine now.

MONEY
07-23-2016, 04:13 PM
I remember when NY cops first started carrying semi-automatic weapons.
The new guns came/and are mostly still manufactured with a very light 4 pound trigger pull.
38 revolvers have an 8 lb trigger pull.

As soon as the switch was made to semi-automatics, more people began getting shot.
Not only did civilians get shot by cops accidentally, cops also shot and wounded or killed themselves or their partners by mistake.

I believe that many of the recent shootings began with accidental trigger pulls, followed by more shooting as a reaction to the 1st shot.
The cop that fires the 1st accidental shot may not realized that he/she is reacting to his own shooting,
and other officers on the scene may be shooting as a response to the the shots being fired by their comrades thinking that they are getting shot at by a suspect.

Making non military firearms with a heavier trigger pull would eliminate many unnecessary and accidental shootings.
I personally had two occasions when I began putting pressure on the trigger of my 38, when the perps suddenly dropped his gun & surrendered.
If I had been armed with a semi-auto gun, I would have shot each of the men as they were surrendering.

davew
07-23-2016, 04:17 PM

Yes, aiming for the guy loading his toy truck gun...

highnote
07-23-2016, 04:26 PM
The new guns came/and are mostly still manufactured with a very light 4 pound trigger pull.

As soon as the switch was made to semi-automatics, more people began getting shot.
Not only did civilians get shot by cops accidentally, cops also shot and wounded or killed themselves or their partners by mistake.

I believe that many of the recent shootings began with accidental trigger pulls, followed by more shooting as a reaction to the 1st shot.
The cop that fires the 1st accidental shot may not realized that he/she is reacting to his own shooting,
and other officers on the scene may be shooting as a response to the the shots being fired by their comrades thinking that they are getting shot at by a suspect.

Making non military firearms with a heavier trigger pull would eliminate many unnecessary and accidental shootings.
I personally had two occasions when I began putting pressure on the trigger of my 38, when the perps suddenly dropped his gun & surrendered.
If I had been armed with a semi-auto gun, I would have shot each of the men as they were surrendering.

Good points! Had never heard that.

Inner Dirt
07-23-2016, 04:33 PM

Wow, you must be the oldest person in history. I find it hard to believe an ex-cop doesn't know what semi-automatic means. pretty sure NYC cops have carried semi-automatic weapons for close to 150 years or whenever the repeating double action revolver came out. Are claiming when you were young NYC cops carried single action revolvers? That is utter nonsense.

MONEY
07-23-2016, 04:43 PM
Wow, you must be the oldest person in history. I find it hard to believe an ex-cop doesn't know what semi-automatic means. pretty sure NYC cops have carried semi-automatic weapons for close to 150 years or whenever the repeating double action revolver came out. Are claiming when you were young NYC cops carried single action revolvers? That is utter nonsense.
I carried a six shot double action 38 revolver with an 8 lb trigger pull, which was the standard gun for all patrol officers. The gun that I refused to carry was a had a 15 shot clip & a four lb trigger pull. Call it what you want, but when patrol officers began carrying the gun with the clip, is when lots of accidental shooting began to occur.

Hank
07-23-2016, 05:46 PM
Speaking of utter nonsense. :lol:

Semi-automatic: A self-loading firearm, which ejects the spent shell upon firing, inserts another loaded cartridge into the chamber, and locks the bolt, readying the firearm for another shot. This type of firearm will fire once for each pull of the trigger, but the trigger must be pulled for each shot.

The 4 main functions of a semi-auto are Feed, Fire, Extract, Eject. With the exception of fire, revolvers do none of that. (feed meaning feeding from a removable magazine). A semi auto extracts the used shell casing (hence the automatic part) where a revolver has to have them manually unloaded.

JustRalph
07-23-2016, 06:41 PM

Semi auto does not apply to revolvers. Your wrong. He's talking about magazine fed weapons. Semi auto weapons are magazine fed in this context

Revolvers are either double action or single action. They are never "semi automatic" or automatic for that matter.

4 lbs is pretty light for police work, but I knew guys who carried them that way

Clocker
07-23-2016, 07:20 PM

It depends on the gun. Many semi-automatics, like Beretta and Sig, are double action/single action (DA/SA). The trigger pull on the first round is double action and is heavier than subsequent, single action rounds, which is a built in safe guard against negligent discharge.

More and more organizations seem to be moving to Glock, which calls its operation 'Safe Action'. The Glock has an equally light trigger pull from round one. I had a Glock, but the trigger was a big negative for me and I sold it. I haven't seen statistics in a while, but my impression was that police officers had a higher incidence of negligent discharges with Glocks than with DA/SA weapons. My personal feeling is that Glocks are not as safe as other semi-automatics, and I would never again own one.

zico20
07-23-2016, 07:54 PM
Here is another incident caught on camera. A black woman, who was pulled over for speeding, is told to get back in her car so the officer can close the door. She asks him to hurry up and instantly the cop reaches in and grabs her and tries to pull her out of the car. She gets hysterical and the cop slams her to the ground. The police chief calls the incident disturbing. I could see why she is paranoid. First you are to remain in the car and then you are told to get out of the car. The officer needs to make up his mind. He was looking to start something, IMO. But the bright side is that he didn't shoot her and leave her for dead and go find someone else to pull over for speeding.

http://mashable.com/2016/07/22/austin-police-violent-arrest-black-teacher/#mclQsiVMziq8

highnote
07-23-2016, 08:50 PM
Here is another incident caught on camera. A black woman, who was pulled over for speeding, is told to get back in her car so the officer can close the door. She asks him to hurry up and instantly the cop reaches in and grabs her and tries to pull her out of the car. She gets hysterical and the cop slams her to the ground. The police chief calls the incident disturbing. I could see why she is paranoid. First you are to remain in the car and then you are told to get out of the car. The officer needs to make up his mind. He was looking to start something, IMO. But the bright side is that he didn't shoot her and leave her for dead and go find someone else to pull over for speeding.

http://mashable.com/2016/07/22/austin-police-violent-arrest-black-teacher/#mclQsiVMziq8

A lot of people in the comment section of the video blame the girl's arrest on the fact that she asked the cop to hurry up. She didn't hit him or pull a gun on him. She made a request, albeit, not in a polite manner.

The cop should have just bit his tongue, shook his head, walked away, and then issued her a ticket. What good did it do to pull her out of the car, slam her on the ground, and then handcuff her?

Her request for him to hurry up may not have been polite, but is that something you can get arrested for nowadays?

If his fuse is that short, perhaps he should consider another line of work that does not require dealing with the public. Everyone knows people can be assholes, but that doesn't mean they should be arrested for it.

Grits
07-23-2016, 08:54 PM
why did he shoot the guy who did not fit the description.
why didn't they know there was a group homes(s) in the area.
They need to start writing summary offenses for these 911 callers

I worked my last year in college in a group home and I had a guy who would walk off, walk fast too. Thank God I was always able to find him fast, I would felt really bad if he got hurt or hit by a car. Group Homes are not easy. Thing is he probably had 2-3 people he was looking after.

My guess is some young guy worker taught that kid those curse words as a joke or most likely yelled those exact words at him. It's a shame not all the workers are nice people and these mentally handicapped people remember. I really felt bad when I left. They trusted me, I came back to visit 2x, it was not the same, I could see they felt let down.

There's no money in the system for these people. who cleans? who does the laundry? I had 3 adult males , in 9 months only 1 visit from their family.

Wendy's! they hated McDonalds :D one adult could not talk, another had the language skills of a 2 year old, yet when asked the choice Macs or Wendy's, Hands down Wendy's,

And lots picnics to get out of the SMELLY house. I never had money to do that. one had to use your own.

Thank you for working with guys with special needs! My son lives in a group home. Believe me, they are not all alike. His caregivers are each very kind, and very good at their jobs. Too, this home is a fine one with seven bedrooms. It's never unclean and neither are my son's or any of the guys, clothes. Staff does the cooking, of course, but the guys all pitch in together with their chores.

I have a close relationship with staff and each of the guys as I'm in and out of the home several times a week. I'm only 15 minutes away, and I'm the only mom or family member out of 6 residents, who spends time with the guys, and who brings her son home so often.

None of the guys in my son's home is autistic. However, one is non verbal. Autism is one of the most difficult of all developmental disabilities because it can be so volatile, even violent, and it has such a wide range of function.

What happened in Florida is horrifying because this young man was very low functioning. He didn't care if he was in the middle of the street. He didn't know he was in danger. Staff is well trained, (or my son's is) to know how to de-escalate any situation that could occur, either in the home, or outside of the home. And this is what his caregiver was attempting to do. This is a horrible mistake that has been made, and it's been made worse by the BOP speaker who stated "the officer was aiming for the other guy." .... Yeah, that'll work shoot the young man who was autistic??? There has to be more training, there has to be more communication.

Anyone can tell me all day and night that "black lives matter". No. "All lives matter" including all caregivers. And most of all, every individual with special needs--these are the most vulnerable of our earth's entire population. :(

Again, thank you, ebcorde. <3

Edit for spelling.

Clocker
07-23-2016, 09:24 PM
Anyone can tell me all day and night that "black lives matter". No. "All lives matter" including all caregivers. And most of all, every individual with special needs--these are the most vulnerable of our earth's entire population. :(

Good stuff as usual, Grits.

Militant diversity is divisive. It says we are different and we need special treatment. Martin Luther King didn't ask for special treatment, he just wanted us to practice what we preached: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal."

If all men are created equal, all lives matter.

JustRalph
07-23-2016, 09:36 PM
It depends on the gun. Many semi-automatics, like Beretta and Sig, are double action/single action (DA/SA). The trigger pull on the first round is double action and is heavier than subsequent, single action rounds, which is a built in safe guard against negligent discharge.

That's the only thing I carry, or buy.

Robert Fischer
07-23-2016, 09:59 PM
idiotic anti-cop media revenue generators and idiotic regular people are using this as fuel to claim that all cops are bad

idiotic cops and their department and their pro-cop media are making excuses for this ****up

too many fake idiots running around

admit shit when it's wrong, make improvements to the system, and don't be a dick

should be simple stuff

JustRalph
07-23-2016, 11:29 PM
idiotic anti-cop media revenue generators and idiotic regular people are using this as fuel to claim that all cops are bad

idiotic cops and their department and their pro-cop media are making excuses for this ****up

too many fake idiots running around

admit shit when it's wrong, make improvements to the system, and don't be a dick

should be simple stuff

Throw in politics and lawyers........not so easy

Clocker
07-24-2016, 12:38 AM
That's the only thing I carry, or buy.

That and an occasional 1911. :cool:

JustRalph
07-24-2016, 02:26 AM
That and an occasional 1911. :cool:

1911 or .45 just too big for me. Never could shoot that big bastard accurately.
Well the 2nd round and beyond that is.......😂 :D

TJDave
07-24-2016, 05:37 AM
1911 or .45 just too big for me. Never could shoot that big bastard accurately.
Well the 2nd round and beyond that is.......😂 :D

The 1911 action is offered in several different configurations, including 9mm.

zico20
08-16-2016, 08:49 PM
Here is an article on a traffic stop that could have went horribly wrong. The police and the driver have conflicting reports on how it went down. One thing they agree on is that the officer pointed his gun at his 7 year old daughter. That is inexcusable. I am suspicious of any cops account if there is not a dashboard camera or audio of the encounter. I see this altercation as somewhere in the middle of the two versions of what really happened.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/08/16/father-utterly-terrified-after-trooper-points-gun-at-his-7-year-old-during-traffic-stop/?utm_term=.85801ddf164a