PDA

View Full Version : RIP Tom McCarthy

pandy
07-21-2016, 11:48 AM
Sad to see that trainer Tom McCarthy passed away at 82 due to melanoma. I lost a close friend from melanoma last year, he was only 54. I can't understand why people didn't get this disease that often years ago. I have a hard time believing it's all due to the sun.

Anyway, glad McCarthy got a chance to have some fun with his horse General Quarters.

PhantomOnTour
07-21-2016, 11:52 AM
Terribly sad to hear this news
RIP Tom

FrankieFigs
07-21-2016, 12:02 PM
RIP Mr. McCarthy

charm city whizz
07-21-2016, 12:17 PM
Sorry to hear this.....

Melanoma can be a horror show If it gets to the lymphnodes, it really is hard to believe that the sun can cause this

castaway01
07-21-2016, 12:37 PM
Protective ozone layer is much thinner than 50 years ago, sun burns much faster and does more and deeper damage. Ask any dermatologist, not a new development.

bcgreg
07-21-2016, 04:31 PM
RIP Mr. McCarthy

He and General Quarters...Great story leading up to the 2009 Ky Derby. A 20K claim from Ken Ramsey, lol. I love it! I remember reading, when asked if he would sell General Quarters: "You can't sell a dream!"

I have Stage 4 Melanoma, discovered in 2011. My scans have been negative for 4 years. Yea! My Oncologist says there is a link between Melanoma and deficient levels of Vitamin D. When he tested my D level, it barely registered!

He is a researcher as well as a Melanoma Oncologist and his research group of 300 patients revealed that 279 of the 300 were severely deficient in Vitamin D. In Vitro, Vitamin D will cause Melanoma cells to die prematurely. UVB rays from the sun, which do not pass thru glass, are necessary to produce Vitamin D for our bodies to use. His theory on increased Melanoma rates: More work is done inside vs outside and more sunscreen is being used today, thereby causing more and more people to be deficient in Vitamin D.

I do not necessarily agree with him on this. But, he is very convincing and so is his research regarding Vitamin D. I take 5,000 units of Vitamin D3 daily!

Have your D levels checked when you go to your dermatologist. Very simple blood test.

Sorry for going off topic.

Much regards,
bcgreg