PDA

View Full Version : Steve Crist

OTM Al
07-20-2016, 01:17 PM
Must be a slow day as no one has commented yet on the fact that he has retired. Announced by DRF this morning and seeing many tweets now.

cj
07-20-2016, 01:28 PM
I'll miss his writing for sure.

Secondbest
07-20-2016, 01:29 PM
Bummer

Peter Berry
07-20-2016, 03:33 PM
Brilliant writer who didn't write often enough for my satisfaction.

thaskalos
07-20-2016, 05:39 PM
It's hard to react appropriately when these guys retire...because they've been in semi-retirement for years.

AltonKelsey
07-20-2016, 06:11 PM
In this case I'm pretty sure the health issues are the reason. That , and why knock yourself out if you don't have too.

EMD4ME
07-20-2016, 06:12 PM
Thaskalos, well said.

If I wrote about horse racing, I'd find a way to do it from heaven. You'd have to kill me in the afterlife to make me retire from it.

the little guy
07-20-2016, 06:14 PM
In this case I'm pretty sure the health issues are the reason. That , and why knock yourself out if you don't have too.

I'm 100% sure you are wrong. Steve's health, thankfully, is just fine.

EMD4ME
07-20-2016, 06:16 PM
I'm 100% sure you are wrong. Steve's health, thankfully, is just fine.

Good, I was wondering if that was true.

I hope he brings his dog(s) up to the SPA and enjoys life.

the little guy
07-20-2016, 06:17 PM
Good, I was wondering if that was true.

I hope he brings his dog(s) up to the SPA and enjoys life.

They're great dogs. I still miss their first greyhound, Badge. He was a cool dog.

PhantomOnTour
07-20-2016, 06:25 PM
What i love most about Crist is that he's a tireless advocate for the horse player, the ones who fund the purses.
Still remember a line I read in one of his books as he addressed a horsemen's group:
"If it weren't for us bettors you guys would be running for blue ribbons at the county fair"
Right on dude.

With Litfin already gone, and now Crist, who is left over there at DRF?

EMD4ME
07-20-2016, 06:31 PM
They're great dogs. I still miss their first greyhound, Badge. He was a cool dog.

In my eyes, all dogs and all horses are awesome.

I obviously never met Badge. I'm sure he was a treasure :)

Their loyalty and innocence is unwavering. Love it :ThmbUp:

EMD4ME
07-20-2016, 06:32 PM
What i love most about Crist is that he's a tireless advocate for the horse player, the ones who fund the purses.
Still remember a line I read in one of his books as he addressed a horsemen's group:
"If it weren't for us bettors you guys would be running for blue ribbons at the county fair"
Right on dude.

I wish more horseplayers had the guts to boycott AND let the tracks know but sadly tracks like CD, WANTED people to not bet so they can gain an advantage.

Sick game we adore.

whodoyoulike
07-20-2016, 06:46 PM
... With Litfin already gone, and now Crist, who is left over there at DRF?

So, who has replaced Crist at DRF?

Broad Brush
07-20-2016, 07:43 PM
I both enjoyed and learned a lot from his articles and books.

I wish him well going forward.

I think us horseplayers are losing a strong voice that won't be replaced.

NJ Stinks
07-20-2016, 08:02 PM
Not sure anything written about horseracing was more enjoyable than reading Crist in DRF. Beyer graduated in the same class.

I wrote to Steve a number of times over the years through DRF and he always got back to me. Courteous and expansive, Steve chose not to belittle me when I wailed about DRF ignoring New Jersey's lack of OTB's and ADW's back around the turn of the century.

Can't see anyone replacing an icon like him.

JustRalph
07-20-2016, 09:24 PM
Does he become more vocal now!

pandy
07-21-2016, 11:36 AM
Steve made great contributions to the sport. I was also a big fan of his columns.

Saratoga_Mike
07-21-2016, 11:44 AM
Glad to hear it isn't his health - thank you TLG. Betting on Myself was a great book - highly recommend it. He's such a gifted writer.

Robert Fischer
07-21-2016, 05:17 PM
Steve is the man.

I've got one of his books on the nightstand.

Interacted once on social media, and he was down to earth and positive.

burnsy
07-21-2016, 07:39 PM
Right on dude.

Well said, this is a big loss for their staff, a huge loss for horseplayers. Unfortunately, many could learn from his example. The guys that sugar coat all the crap are a joke. Never sold out.

Exotic Tickets , is the best "pic tool" ever! Helped me out so much.

Happy trails.

zawaaa
07-22-2016, 03:10 AM
he was one of a kind

i hope he's not done yet

the way he stood up for horseplayers was indeed a glorious thing

BMustang
07-22-2016, 11:55 PM
A few years back he did a daily blog during the Saratoga meet.
We were able to follow his horizontal wagers throughout the day, and then recap the events of that day's card during the evening.

I considered it part of my "fabric of Saratoga." (Along with Talking Horses and Trips and Traps

Steve would offer an opinion on about anything, including the food options at the Spa and best dark day activities. His favorite between races chow was the Hattie's Fried Chicken sandwich, which I'm sure contributed largely to the heart issues which forced his cancellation of the blog.

It would be really nice if someone close to the game at Saratoga would start something similar. Best of everything to Steve in retirement. We all feel like we know him personally.

KidCruz
07-23-2016, 02:31 AM
Right on dude.

This is just a rough blow for the DRF. I can't think of the last positive thing that company has done over the past five years but it has always maintained its air of importance and sacristy among horse players because of people like Steve Crist. And they are slowly being whittled away.

Just one recent example - when Churchill Downs pulled their shenanigans with the Derby P6 money, other respected voices in the game not only defended it but spent the next month raving about what a great bet it was. Crist decried it from day 1 as an unfair ruse wronging the bettor.

So now he's gone. Who can we count on?

PIC6SIX
07-24-2016, 10:08 AM
I wish SC knew the late Chuck Brendt, a great guy and handicapper, because if he did maybe some of CB's gracious and congenial personality would have rubbed off on him. Meeting SC once was enough. For any of you who knew CB and attended some of his seminars at GP in past years I am sure can attest to what a fine person and handicapper he was. May he rest in peace.

Odds-On
07-24-2016, 10:16 AM
Does he become more vocal now!

Nope.

the little guy
07-24-2016, 10:34 AM
I wish SC knew the late Chuck Brendt, a great guy and handicapper, because if he did maybe some of CB's gracious and congenial personality would have rubbed off on him. Meeting SC once was enough. For any of you who knew CB and attended some of his seminars at GP in past years I am sure can attest to what a fine person and handicapper he was. May he rest in peace.

Anyone know the second worst post on the board?

Lemon Drop Husker
07-24-2016, 10:40 AM
Already missing his Saratoga blog. :(

howardjim
07-24-2016, 12:21 PM
Anyone know the second worst post on the board?

Not by a longshot.

Steve is and was a gentlemen, racing scholar...I only regret he didn't push to reveal the excess exotic takeouts after they expired. Though he may have been hamstrung by his position in the hierarchy.

He always responded to my e-mails or forwarded one to Andy Beyer back in the early 90's concerning RP route variants.

A loss to the sport and our player support.

Grits
07-24-2016, 12:37 PM
This is just a rough blow for the DRF. I can't think of the last positive thing that company has done over the past five years but it has always maintained its air of importance and sacristy among horse players because of people like Steve Crist.

So now he's gone. Who can we count on?

DRF Formulator is a positive for anyone standing upright, still wagering on this sport. Though, of course, it's been around longer than your aforementioned...past five years.

Regarding your question, who can we count on?

Advocacy is an outstanding element, and practice. We're all capable of choosing to advocate. Being always dependent upon someone else, upon others to come forward to speak for us isn't a solution. ... This is applicable in all walks of life, and interests.

If Steve Crist and Andy Beyer, both, never spoke or wrote another word about horseracing, it would be well within their right as they've done far, far more than anyone else. If they each lived in the Caymans for the rest of their lives, they surely have earned such days.

...Wishing you many days of good health and happiness, Mr.Crist. I'm glad I sat watching, listening to you and Watchmaker on the eve of this last Belmont on what may have been your last public handicapping seminar. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Take care, and thank you for the decades of commitment.

Saratoga_Mike
08-13-2018, 11:56 AM
Steve Crist and a co-owner have Mineshaft Blues, a 2-yr-old first-time starter, in at Saratoga on Thurs, Aug 16 (race 9). I believe this will mark Mr Crist's maiden voyage as an owner, but not certain of that. He and the partner also just purchased hip #330 at the NY-bred Fasig Tipton sale.

http://www.fasigtipton.com/ci/results/view/2018/Saratoga-NY-Bred-Preferred-Yearlings

howardjim
08-13-2018, 12:47 PM
Glad to hear it, thanks for the heads-up.

Suff
08-13-2018, 04:27 PM
9th race, Thursday, State-bred maiden special, 5.5 turf. 10 Hole. But note that I highlighted his 2 turf works , Which were with the DOGS out, so he's been out here. 3 published gate works.

The 36.1 work yesterday was nice, the other horse on the track went :38.11 Zip It Jess , well bred from Cityzip who sold for 50K at the 2yo sale this year.

This is a guy, who , when he started the racing times , peddled his figures at OTB's in NYC! In person! This is our guy.

He used to be just Steve Crist as a handicapper, now that he owns a horse, his name in the PP is Steven. We all have to refer to him as Mr. Steven Crist.

Rico8812
08-14-2018, 11:02 AM
I really miss his Saratoga blog/play alongs.

Wish him the best as an owner as well as at the windows.

Cholly
08-14-2018, 11:51 AM
I really miss his Saratoga blog/play alongs.

Wish him the best as an owner as well as at the windows.

Yes, his Saratoga blog on DRF was a delight to follow; always enjoyed the read, and got a kick when he made a score, "And now, time for a cocktail".

I know he's had some health issues; if he's buying horses he must be doing well and that's great news! I wonder how many hounds he currently has parked on his sofa.

Saratoga_Mike
08-14-2018, 12:18 PM
Yes, his Saratoga blog on DRF was a delight to follow; always enjoyed the read, and got a kick when he made a score, "And now, time for a cocktail".

I know he's had some health issues; if he's buying horses he must be doing well and that's great news! I wonder how many hounds he currently has parked on his sofa.

The man is a tremendously gifted writer. Maybe horse ownership will serve as subject matter for a few guest columns in the DRF or one of the local Saratoga papers.

Cholly
08-14-2018, 02:03 PM
The man is a tremendously gifted writer. Maybe horse ownership will serve as subject matter for a few guest columns in the DRF or one of the local Saratoga papers.

**** DRF; put it in the Paulick Report or somewhere else it might actually get read!

thaskalos
08-14-2018, 09:32 PM
**** DRF; put it in the Paulick Report or somewhere else it might actually get read!

Or, if Crist REALLY wants to get read...then he should start posting right HERE! :)

ReplayRandall
08-14-2018, 10:15 PM
Or, if Crist REALLY wants to get read...then he should start posting right HERE! :)

Don't think he'll bite on your invite as he's good friends with Andy S, and they both think Thaskalos is PA's most overrated poster....Just sayin'...:kiss::kiss:

thaskalos
08-14-2018, 10:32 PM
Don't think he'll bite on your invite as he's good friends with Andy S, and they both think Thaskalos is PA's most overrated poster....Just sayin'...:kiss::kiss:

I'm through being nice. The next guy who calls me "PA's Most Overrated Poster", gets a spanking from me over at the HorseTourneys site. :cool:

ReplayRandall
08-14-2018, 10:47 PM
I'm through being nice. The next guy who calls me "PA's Most Overrated Poster", gets a spanking from me over at the HorseTourneys site. :cool:

Are you ready to play a head's up triple tourney on Weds? Will start with Saratoga, then Del Mar, and finish the night at Mountaineer...All $22 buy-in pick-n-prays, you up for it?

thaskalos
08-14-2018, 10:51 PM
Are you ready to play a head's up triple tourney on Weds? Will start with Saratoga, then Del Mar, and finish the night at Mountaineer...All $22 buy-in pick-n-prays, you up for it?

Any time, any amount...and any track except Hong Kong.

ReplayRandall
08-14-2018, 10:54 PM
Any time, any amount...and any track except Hong Kong.

Then go to Horsetourneys right now, come back here and tell me that you're ready and I'll buy-in to the 3 tracks that I posted earlier...

thaskalos
08-14-2018, 11:00 PM
Then go to Horsetourneys right now, come back here and tell me that you're ready and I'll buy-in to the 3 tracks that I posted earlier...

You are too bossy. Now I want to play for $110 instead of for $22. $22 ain't much of a "spanking".

ReplayRandall
08-14-2018, 11:09 PM
You are too bossy. Now I want to play for $110 instead of for $22. $22 ain't much of a "spanking".

It's OK to play Vic for ONE $22 buy-in tourney, but I give you 3 chances to beat me, now you want to "spank" me for higher $$ ?.....If I want to play higher, I can find easier fish to fry than trying to beat you.

Bottom-line, this is a friendly competition between you and me, if not then so be it.

thaskalos
08-14-2018, 11:13 PM
It's OK to play Vic for ONE $22 buy-in tourney, but I give you 3 chances to beat me, now you want to "spank" me for higher $$ ?.....If I want to play higher, I can find easier fish to fry than trying to beat you.

Bottom-line, this is a friendly competition between you and me, if not then so be it.

Fine...let's do it. What did you mean by "heads up triple tourney"? Don't we sign up separately for each track?

ReplayRandall
08-14-2018, 11:17 PM
Fine...let's do it. What did you mean by "heads up triple tourney"? Don't we sign up separately for each track?

Yes, sign up separately for pick-n-prays....I'm doing it now....BTW, check the entry to make sure it's my name.

Edit: I'm now ENTERED....

thaskalos
08-14-2018, 11:24 PM
Yes, sign up separately for pick-n-prays....I'm doing it now....BTW, check the entry to make sure it's my name.

Edit: I'm now ENTERED....

I can't sign up now. I'm typing on a phone...and I don't have my reading glasses so I could browse the HT site. The best that I can do is sign up in half an hour.

ReplayRandall
08-14-2018, 11:26 PM
I can't sign up now. I'm typing on a phone...and I don't have my reading glasses so I could browse the HT site. The best that I can do is sign up in half an hour.

I don't care who I play....in case you change your mind, no problem.

GMB@BP
08-14-2018, 11:40 PM

wait you can see who your playing pre signing up in a head 2 head...didnt know that. I just sign up.

GMB@BP
08-14-2018, 11:41 PM

found you, I am in, its only money!

ReplayRandall
08-14-2018, 11:46 PM
found you, I am in, its only money!

So, it looks like we're playing Del Mar, Greg...:cool:

GMB@BP
08-14-2018, 11:47 PM

yea. its the only track I handicapped tonight and will have time for as I work all day tomorrow.

thaskalos
08-15-2018, 12:02 AM

And we are playing Saratoga and Mountaineer.

ReplayRandall
08-15-2018, 12:16 AM
And we are playing Saratoga and Mountaineer.

Yes, we're ready to go.....

ReplayRandall
08-15-2018, 08:00 PM
Wish I could of given you more competition Gus, but I stunk it up at Toga today....

At mountaineer, I handicapped the same way you used at Toga....You're easy to figure out, regardless of the outcome..:cool:

ReplayRandall
08-15-2018, 08:39 PM
yea. its the only track I handicapped tonight and will have time for as I work all day tomorrow.

Nice cappin' Greg, an easy win for you....;)

GMB@BP
08-15-2018, 08:44 PM

Thanks for the game!

thaskalos
08-15-2018, 09:17 PM

At least you are consistent...:)

ReplayRandall
08-15-2018, 10:19 PM
At least you are consistent...:)

Should receive some positive rep points for being such a good sport from my drubbing today?....:pound::faint::pound:

thaskalos
08-15-2018, 10:39 PM
Should receive some positive rep points for being such a good sport from my drubbing today?....:pound::faint::pound:

How about we just give you a rematch?

ReplayRandall
08-15-2018, 10:44 PM
How about we just give you a rematch?

I'm eating canned ravioli tonight....with a plastic fork.

Gotta scrape up another buy-in somehow....might be a while.

thaskalos
08-15-2018, 10:51 PM
I'm eating canned ravioli tonight....with a plastic fork.

Gotta scrape up another buy-in somehow....might be a while.

I used to eat it out of the can...to save on the paper plates. :ThmbUp:

ReplayRandall
08-15-2018, 10:56 PM
I used to eat it out of the can...to save on the paper plates. :ThmbUp:

Do you think Steve Crist might start posting here after reading all our nonsense we've just posted?...:cool:

Mailman
08-16-2018, 04:25 PM
Steve is on with Andy on FS 2, now.

Lemon Drop Husker
08-16-2018, 04:32 PM

And it is FANTASTIC!

Horse racing in HD. Who'dathunk in 2018? :jump:

Suff
08-16-2018, 05:01 PM

It was good, but certainly no resounding ring of confidence on his filly's chances.:D when he said "No Clue" on his expectations.

He did say he did not play the pick 6 because he would of had to of singled her here, I thought that was funny. He also said he had Plenty of Action on her...

He said not to single her #10, and I didn't, but I need the 8,9,10 here in the 8th to go alive on 2 tickets. My ticket with the likely 4/5 is dead already. But I get the , 8, 9 or 10, here in 8, I will be alive to the 6, 7, 10 in the 9th.

Mailman
08-16-2018, 06:06 PM
It was good, but certainly no resounding ring of confidence on his filly's chances.:D when he said "No Clue" on his expectations.

He did say he did not play the pick 6 because he would of had to of singled her here, I thought that was funny. He also said he had Plenty of Action on her...

He said not to single her #10, and I didn't, but I need the 8,9,10 here in the 8th to go alive on 2 tickets. My ticket with the likely 4/5 is dead already. But I get the , 8, 9 or 10, here in 8, I will be alive to the 6, 7, 10 in the 9th.

Hey Fuss, Long time no see!

Suff
08-16-2018, 06:19 PM
Hey Fuss, Long time no see!:headbanger:

LOL. I know, I pinged you on a couple threads trying raise my hand and say hello , but missed that. Yea, very cool to see you, and was kinda-sorta looking around for you when I was Saratoga opening weekend, fri, sat, sun and mon.

Stayed on Broadway, so I parked the car Friday and walked to all the spots for 4 straight days. Walk to track, walk downtown... Did it right.
Near the track I was using 5 points Deli as my rest stop. :ThmbUp:

Mailman
08-16-2018, 07:52 PM
:headbanger:

LOL. I know, I pinged you on a couple threads trying raise my hand and say hello , but missed that. Yea, very cool to see you, and was kinda-sorta looking around for you when I was Saratoga opening weekend, fri, sat, sun and mon.

Stayed on Broadway, so I parked the car Friday and walked to all the spots for 4 straight days. Walk to track, walk downtown... Did it right.
Near the track I was using 5 points Deli as my rest stop. :ThmbUp:

Sorry i missed you, Ive been up there a couple times already. Mid week, less crowded. Trip to Horseshoe after races, then harness, a couple spots downtown. Been staying in Queenberry, found a couple of spots there.

Andy Asaro
08-17-2018, 01:07 PM
https://twitter.com/DRFGrening/status/1030209488240996352