Are now out

:jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump:

Saratoga_Mike
07-19-2016, 03:21 PM
Over/under on time until complaints about opening day card: 90 mins

jahura2
07-19-2016, 03:51 PM
Over/under on time until complaints about opening day card: 90 mins

Card looks good to me. Interesting to note Florent Geroux with 5 mounts. Was he there full time last year? I don't remember.

lamboguy
07-19-2016, 04:47 PM
something new this year i guess at Saratoga. i entered today for friday for a tag and they told me i could run either protected or unprotected because my horse is coming off an extended layoff. i could enter for the same tag or more without putting him up for a tag. make a long story short, they wound up not using my race but brought it back for Saturday.

TheGarMan
07-19-2016, 05:01 PM
We will be making the 5 hour drive to the track (first time ever) for Sunday & Monday...

If anyone has any "hot tips" for either on, or off the track, I am all ears... :)

Gar

thespaah
07-19-2016, 06:19 PM
We will be making the 5 hour drive to the track (first time ever) for Sunday & Monday...

If anyone has any "hot tips" for either on, or off the track, I am all ears... :)

Gar
Yeah....Here's a tip...Park in the yard in the link. This one never charges as much as nearby property owners. Last year it was $6 for weekend. On big days such as Whitney/Travers Day its a couple dollars more. But still far short of the wallet thrashing of other lots.
It's at the corner of Webster and Jackson Sts....it's literally less than a 5 minute walk to the Track Gate ( 8A) at the Clubhouse end of the grandstand.
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0731636,-73.7759496,3a,75y,82.38h,76.49t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s77cPOaUemYA1QFzQwwoYWw!2e0!7i1 3312!8i6656

MonmouthParkJoe
07-19-2016, 07:24 PM
something new this year i guess at Saratoga. i entered today for friday for a tag and they told me i could run either protected or unprotected because my horse is coming off an extended layoff. i could enter for the same tag or more without putting him up for a tag. make a long story short, they wound up not using my race but brought it back for Saturday.

Waiver claim. Basically allows the horse to get the rest it needs and protects the investment in caring for the horse over that time. You bring it back at the same level or higher and you basically get a free roll, think it is 180 day layoff but I know its in the condition book. I think its a great idea.

They run pretty close to their condition book year round, and all the races in the book went today. Sure they write extras, but still I think its a good things because in reality why even make a condition book if you are going to make half the card extras anyway.

MonmouthParkJoe
07-19-2016, 07:44 PM

Gar

I am sure you will get tons of tips if you search the site. Sunday should be pretty crazy with the hat giveaway and Songbird, Monday should really allow you to check the place out without a huge crowd.

Get there early, gates open at 7 I believe to allow you to get in and secure a picnic table. Bring a cheap $1 table cloth or something to put on top of it, then go back out for your stuff. Track side parking is $15 on the weekends, $12 on the weekdays. I think it is worth it given the stuff I bring in. You can park trackside in the morning at 7 and will get the money refunded as long as you leave by 10am. Then park in the cheaper lot if you wish so you don't have to carry anything.

Disregard my picnic table comment if you have reserved seating. Coolers are fine with anything you want, just no glass. Cans or plastic bottles are fine.

lamboguy
07-19-2016, 07:48 PM
Waiver claim. Basically allows the horse to get the rest it needs and protects the investment in caring for the horse over that time. You bring it back at the same level or higher and you basically get a free roll, think it is 180 day layoff but I know its in the condition book. I think its a great idea.

They run pretty close to their condition book year round, and all the races in the book went today. Sure they write extras, but still I think its a good things because in reality why even make a condition book if you are going to make half the card extras anyway.my horse needed a few surgery's. the horse just got into New York this morning from Ocala, so the extra day would be great should they use the race. i have never won a race with one of my own horses in Saratoga in my life yet, this one got a pretty decent shot at this bottom level there.

Shooter 79
07-19-2016, 08:47 PM
my horse needed a few surgery's. the horse just got into New York this morning from Ocala, so the extra day would be great should they use the race. i have never won a race with one of my own horses in Saratoga in my life yet, this one got a pretty decent shot at this bottom level there.
What's the horses name?

thespaah
07-19-2016, 09:37 PM
Good sized fields. Only the 7th drew less than 8. A good mix of sprints and routes.
Seems like a good opener to me.

BELMONT 6-6-09
07-19-2016, 09:39 PM
Now for the most important question: what is the weather forecast!!!!!!!!
Hopefully dry, nothing worse than an opening day with off the turf and a multitude of scratches.

JustRalph
07-19-2016, 09:41 PM
Good luck Lambo 👍

TheGarMan
07-20-2016, 06:52 AM
Disregard my picnic table comment if you have reserved seating.

Joe, thanks for the tips! -- We actually do have reserved seating for Sunday. I thought maybe we would just "wing it" on Monday. Not sure yet. Thanks again! Gar

tophatmert
07-20-2016, 09:45 AM
Card looks good to me. Interesting to note Florent Geroux with 5 mounts. Was he there full time last year? I don't remember.
I don't think he was there other than some stakes.

lamboguy
07-20-2016, 01:52 PM
What's the horses name?BENNY AND ALEX, in Saturday

Shooter 79
07-20-2016, 02:46 PM
BENNY AND ALEX, in Saturday
Thanks...best of luck to you!

lamboguy
07-20-2016, 02:58 PM
i had to scratch because the horse was 10 days away from being away from the track for 6 months and i am never running that horse for $25,000 so that he can get claimed away after all the work we did on him.

Saratoga_Mike
07-20-2016, 03:41 PM
i had to scratch because the horse was 10 days away from being away from the track for 6 months and i am never running that horse for $25,000 so that he can get claimed away after all the work we did on him.

Why didn't you enter protected, as you mentioned here....

lamboguy
07-20-2016, 04:08 PM
Why didn't you enter protected, as you mentioned here....

i was 10 days short of 6 months, we made a mistake with the date.

Saratoga_Mike
07-20-2016, 04:26 PM
i was 10 days short of 6 months, we made a mistake with the date.

I see - missed that in your first post. Good luck with him.

cj
07-20-2016, 05:05 PM

I think the chances of him being claimed Saturday would be slim and none.

lamboguy
07-20-2016, 05:27 PM
I think the chances of him being claimed Saturday would be slim and none.
normally i would say that statement is spot on, however the place where my horse was in Florida is frequented daily by New York trainers and i already turned down more money than the claiming price from him. and i am sure you know that claiming fresh horses is a big thing these days. the last time i put a fresh horse in to run off a bow tendon and a year layoff she got claimed and went on to earn over $250,000 that year. couple that with a New York bred and the horse is more than a high risk of being claimed. also i happen to love the way this horse came back.

cj
07-20-2016, 05:31 PM
normally i would say that statement is spot on, however the place where my horse was in Florida is frequented daily by New York trainers and i already turned down more money than the claiming price from him. and i am sure you know that claiming fresh horses is a big thing these days. the last time i put a fresh horse in to run off a bow tendon and a year layoff she got claimed and went on to earn over $250,000 that year. couple that with a New York bred and the horse is more than a high risk of being claimed. also i happen to love the way this horse came back.

Wish you nothing but good luck with the horse, I'll follow along when he makes it back.

I see the horse is in the entries. Just curious, what reason will be given for the scratch? Seems like "I don't want him claimed" wouldn't be too popular with the racing secretary.

the little guy
07-20-2016, 05:34 PM

If you turned down more money for him, then he will get claimed...but this also begs another question, why would you turn down more money than you are offering for him now, especially before spending the money it costs to ship him from Florida?

lamboguy
07-20-2016, 05:42 PM
Wish you nothing but good luck with the horse, I'll follow along when he makes it back.

I see the horse is in the entries. Just curious, what reason will be given for the scratch? Seems like "I don't want him claimed" wouldn't be too popular with the racing secretary.i didn't even know about waiver claiming until my trainer told me about it. after my trainer got the horse he didn't want to enter for a tag either and he scratched the horse on his own. my trainer knows his way around too and he thought the horse was a cinch to get claimed. we just simply didn't know the waiver claiming rules because it is new and we just made a mistake entering. before i knew of this rule i had a starter allowance race picked out and might enter for that or just wait out 10 more days and find a race for a tag and run.

if you look at the past performances you will see that he already ran against some pretty decent horses that have won open stake races including the Dwyer a couple of weeks ago. my horse wound up with an injury and ran awful. that's my excuse anyway

Saratoga_Mike
07-20-2016, 05:49 PM
i didn't even know about waiver claiming until my trainer told me about it. after my trainer got the horse he didn't want to enter for a tag either and he scratched the horse on his own. my trainer knows his way around too and he thought the horse was a cinch to get claimed. we just simply didn't know the waiver claiming rules because it is new and we just made a mistake entering. before i knew of this rule i had a starter allowance race picked out and might enter for that or just wait out 10 more days and find a race for a tag and run.

if you look at the past performances you will see that he already ran against some pretty decent horses that have won open stake races including the Dwyer a couple of weeks ago. my horse wound up with an injury and ran awful. that's my excuse anyway

Chris Englehart trains the horse and didn't know the rules? He's a very sharp trainer, and the rules were in place at BEL and maybe AQU (TLG???), where Chris raced. I hope the horse does well for you, but I would have jammed him in even more aggressively.

the little guy
07-20-2016, 05:53 PM
I'll take a wild stab that Chris Englehart doesn't think a horse coming off a 17+ length drubbing for the same $25K will get claimed off a six month layoff.

lamboguy
07-20-2016, 06:04 PM
Chris Englehart trains the horse and didn't know the rules? He's a very sharp trainer, and the rules were in place at BEL and maybe AQU (TLG???), where Chris raced. I hope the horse does well for you, but I would have jammed him in even more aggressively.
he had thought the horse was off for 6 months. i was the one who didn't know the rules, i would have pointed it out.

if this horse is all straightened out he will earn a lot of money. in this game you are always guessing and second guessing yourself so you really don't know. he has been training much better than he did last year, so i have every reason to be an optimist on this one, this is not my first horse and have been pretty pessimistic on most that i have had before.

i have another 2 year old filly that hasn't landed up north yet that i don't have a good line on yet. she has not been a good gate horse yet and just is not ready to hit the road yet. this whole summer i have been scraping, sanding and replacing shingles on my house before i paint it, the horses give me a good reason to come inside now.

another guy on this board posted about his horse and ran a good third and is having a good time at the game. for me the game always gives you some type of hope!