PDA

View Full Version : Harness Horses just getting faster...

sq764
07-09-2004, 10:58 AM
Man has harness racing changed..

I was running my spreadsheet for Meadowlands for tomorrow night and noticed that in the past 21 days, horses racing tomorrow night have gone 20 sub-1:50 miles!! And 7 sub-1:49 miles!!

I would have to guess that in August during the last few weeks of the meet, the sub-1:47 barrier may be challenged..

melman
07-09-2004, 11:33 AM
I think quite a bit of the faster harness times has to do with the constant redesign of the sulky. They keep running tests on air-flow and how to lessen the effect and it sure appears to be working. Last week they had a winner go the mile in 1:47:1 so I can see under that very easy in the next month. BTW if anyone reading this is in the harness business start buying your Penna bred harness horses NOW. Purses will be going up by a factor of at least two. Plus they are building a new one mile oval, so the PA Sire Stake races will have plenty of locations to run at. I can picture $100,000 races at one track or the other on a weekly basis. Best guess as to when the slot's are up and running is starting sometime next May or June with full effect in one year to eighteen months. Owning harness horses in Penna would appear to be a good business to be getting into right about now.

Zaf
07-09-2004, 12:17 PM
I am a little surprised myself. I do not follow harness that closely, but Saturday at the Simo joint I was watching the Mini Me race and could not believe how fast it was. I was thinking to myself that must be a track record, but after reading SQ's post I guess thats just ordinary. WOW.

ZAFONIC

sq764
07-09-2004, 01:51 PM
I think there is a negative outcome to these fast times though..

1) Horses are facing grueling races week in and week out, which has to take a toll on their legs.

2) For these fast times, the tracks have to be hard as hell, which can't be good for their legs..

Consequently, we rarely see top horses race past 4 years old, which is horrible for the sport.. I absolutely hate to see a relative youngster put in a tremendous time, because you just know they are not going to be on the track for long. Off to the breeding shed..

Handy Cap
07-09-2004, 02:19 PM
if i was a harness horseman, i would be buying horses in penn and Michigan....I heard they are just days a way from getting a racino bill passed as well.

sq764
07-09-2004, 02:40 PM
Well, let's not forget Delaware..Dover Downs purses are sickening right now.. They will take a little hit most likely when the PA slots are in, but they will still be fantastic

I think the Meadowlands days are numbered... I would imagine without a miracle, they will not be around in 5 years.