PDA

View Full Version : Adblocker

highnote
07-16-2016, 01:37 PM
I installed Adblocker and my internet browsing experience just improved immensely.

My browser kept locking up and was slow to load due to scripts running or waiting for video or ads to run.

I have Adblocker set to the default settings so that I still see some ads, but the sites load so much faster now!

highnote
07-21-2016, 12:17 PM
Trying to read this article at Wired:

http://www.wired.com/2016/07/socals-massive-water-agency-grabs-land-norcals-wettest-river/

but they keep throwing up a nag screen about the use of adblocker software, so it makes it impossible to read the article.

Interesting how Wired figured out that someone is using adblocker software and then found a way to be more annoying than the ads people try to block!

jk3521
07-21-2016, 06:55 PM
Trying to read this article at Wired:

http://www.wired.com/2016/07/socals-massive-water-agency-grabs-land-norcals-wettest-river/

but they keep throwing up a nag screen about the use of adblocker software, so it makes it impossible to read the article.

Interesting how Wired figured out that someone is using adblocker software and then found a way to be more annoying than the ads people try to block!
That's funny , I have adblocker and just for the hellovit clicked on the link you had trouble with and had no problem.

highnote
07-21-2016, 08:58 PM
That's funny , I have adblocker and just for the hellovit clicked on the link you had trouble with and had no problem.

Hmmmm... maybe you're using a different version?

I'm using Adblock Plus for Internet Explorer 11.

But the same thing happens when I use firefox -- and I didn't even know I had an adblocker installed on firefox!

UPDATE:

I just checked the link on firefox and now I can read the article.

Wired is Weird :D

jk3521
07-22-2016, 08:59 AM
Hmmmm... maybe you're using a different version?

I'm using Adblock Plus for Internet Explorer 11.

But the same thing happens when I use firefox -- and I didn't even know I had an adblocker installed on firefox!

UPDATE:

I just checked the link on firefox and now I can read the article.

Wired is Weird :D
I have AdBlock Plus Ver.1.12.1 and use Google Chrome as my browser.

highnote
07-22-2016, 11:22 AM
I have AdBlock Plus Ver.1.12.1 and use Google Chrome as my browser.

It probably works better on Chrome.

linrom1
07-29-2016, 10:43 PM
It probably works better on Chrome.

That's a good one? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Google makes money because most people are ignorant morons and DONT USE ADBLOCK. If everyone used adblock, GOOGLE would be worth less than AOL.

PaceAdvantage
08-01-2016, 07:13 PM
That's a good one? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Google makes money because most people are ignorant morons and DONT USE ADBLOCK. If everyone used adblock, GOOGLE would be worth less than AOL.And Google shouldn't have a right to make money because?

highnote
08-12-2016, 11:31 AM
Ever since I installed adblocker software my browsing experience is much improved. No hang ups or lock outs while waiting for a screen to load.
Before I installed Adblock my browser froze up seemingly every 10 minutes.

I have no problem with websites generating revenue with advertisements. But when their ads ruin my browsing experience and waste my time due to browser hang ups then I have a problem with advertising

Website operators need to be proactive and make sure their customers are delighted.

spiketoo
08-16-2016, 08:59 AM
And Google shouldn't have a right to make money because?

Well its America so I guess they have said 'right' but to me there is just something wrong with a company being worth billions for displaying ads. Course when 70% of your GDP is dependent upon people buying things...

The true Internet Of Things.

highnote
12-18-2016, 08:36 PM
I found a couple of tricks that seem to work for reading websites that don't display their pages when adblocker is detected.

1.) You can try to refresh the page and then hit "escape". Sometimes it works, but you might have to do it three or four times to get the timing right.

2.) I read one today at chicagotribune.com where the "escape" key trick wouldn't work. So I hit refresh and I noticed that just for a split second the page would display before the nag screen popped up that told me I couldn't use adblocker with their site. So I hit refresh again and then hit the "control-a" combo. Control-a selects all the text on the page.

Then I hit the "control-c" combo to copy the page. Then I opened notepad and hit "control-v" to paste the text. I can read it fine now in notepad.

3.) Tip number three is the easiest. Just copy the URL of the page and then open it in another browser that does not have adblocker installed. :D