PDA

View Full Version : Belmont: Sat., July 16

Teach
07-16-2016, 11:32 AM
Race One:

:5: Second City is my upset choice in this short-field, 7-panels OC sprint. This Distorted Humor-bred gelding looks like “the closer” here. The slight stretch-out should help coming off his last race, a second-place finish. The switch to the Maracaibo, Venezuelan (remember Luis Aparicio) reinsman, Javier Castellano, is big. Huge! Castellano times his moves very well. Trainer Jeremiah Englehart does very well in the first-off-a-claim and sprint-race categories. This gelding has a solid morning work-tab leading up to this race. In summary: In racing, as in life, timing is everything. Senor Castellano must time his move, perfectly. Others: :1: , :2: , :4:

Race Two:

:2: Emerald Pond is my pick here. Can Javy bring in both ends of the early double? Slight stretch-out off last turf win; it shouldn’t matter. Does move up off last victory. Chad Brown’s an outstanding trainer; he does very well with horses going from sprint to route. Solid morning work-tab. Jockey Castellano does very well when riding horses in turf races. Others: :6: , :5: :4:

Race Three:

:5: Silver Mission is my pick in the 125k non-graded Rockville Centre, New York state-bred sprint. Let me state my firm belief…: There’s no room for sentimentality in racing. Yet, I’m a big fan of trainer Todd Pletcher. Johnny V., the Hall-of-Famer, is in the irons. Make no mistake…you might think that there were Christmas Tree lights (drag racing) just up ahead instead of a starting gate. The three outside horses can motor. In fact, this race, theoretically, sets up for a closer; yet I just don’t see one who can get the job done. In summation: Too much experience (won the Tremont), too much speed, and too much savvy (Johnny V.). Others: :4: , :3: , :2:

Race Four:

:2: Travis County, an 850k Keeneland purchase, is my choice in this MSW route. This Tapit (Pulpit)-bred was coming into his own in his last; he finished a closing third (despite tossing his head at the start), less than a length off the winner. That was back on May 29. Since then, this regally-bred 3 year-old has turned in an outstanding morning work-tab. Kiaran McLaughlin trains; he does well with MSWs. Junior Alvarado reprises the ride. Others: :6: , :5: , :1:

Race Five:

:9: Same Kinda Crazy is my selection in this New York state-bred n1X 7-furlongs sprint on the Widener. This Posse-bred bay filly won her last (breaking her maiden; she now moves up to face winners) from an outside post. Editorial note: seven panels is a tricky distance. This filly appears to be able to handle that distance, at least based on her last race. Trainer Bruce Brown (he’s picked up the pace, lately) goes with Manny Franco in the irons. I should mention that the filly’s dam, New Britski, was a prolific brood-mare. Others: :6: , :3: , :4:

Race Six:

:2: Distinctive Lady gets my nod in this claiming sprint. This Storm Cat-bred mare is dropping here (“suspicious” says DRF) after finishing second and being claimed out of a 32k race. This 5 year-old mare is piloted by the veteran Mike Luzzi (I should candidly cite that Luzzi doesn’t have a high jockey percentage record when it comes to sprint races). Yet, this mare, if she’s on her game, can prevail with this bunch. Others: :5: , :2: , :1:

Race Seven:

:8: Asscher tries the turf for the first time after finishing sixth in a 100k MSW on the main. This Harlan’s Holiday-bred 2 year-old filly (she went off the chalk in her only race) should take to the lawn like a duck takes to water. This well-bred filly was sold for 300k at the Keeneland Sales. Outside post should help. Todd Pletcher trains. Pletcher does very well with horses entered in their second career race. Others: :4: , :5: , :7:

Race Eight:

In this non-graded 150k Forbidden Apple turf route, I like :2: Tapitation. This Tapit (Pulpit)-bred 5 year-old grey gelding is regally bred for the lawn. Javier Castellano (is this Javy’s red-letter day?) is in the irons for trainer Ralph Nicks. I guess my only concern is that this Cozzene-bred has been away from the races for about a month and a-half. Yet, I still believe this gelding can prevail; he’s won four out of his last five. Others: :1: , :4: , :3:

Race Nine:

:1: Finding Candy is my medium-longshot pick in this claiming route. This Candy Ride-bred horse did not run well in his last race on the turf (not his preferred surface). This 5 year-old now switches to the main where he’s met with a degree of success. This Ride the Rails-bred has certainly faced better. Javier Castellano is in the irons for trainer Bruce Brown. Brown does well when going from turf to dirt. Others: :3: , :4: , :6:

Race Ten:

In the finale, I’m going out on the limb with the outside horse, :12: Splash of Sass. This is a nicely-bred (Langfuhr) 4 year-old chestnut filly who has faced better on the lawn. Yes, this filly’s been away from the races since the conclusion of last year’s “Spa” meet. In that last race she did finish third in this company on the main. I believe this filly can surprise. Jockey Eric Cancel often “flies under the radar screen"; yet, he’s a most capable jock who most certainly has the ability to boot home winners. Robbie Davis is the horse’s conditioner; he does well, albeit with a limited sampling, when the blinkers come off. Others: :6: , :8: , :5:

Teach
07-16-2016, 01:27 PM
I'm boxing the :1: , :4: , :5: in exactas.

Teach
07-16-2016, 01:56 PM
Tri-box: :2: , :6: , :5: , :4:. :6: may just be the key?

BCOURTNEY
07-16-2016, 02:17 PM
Belmont Race 3
:5: SILVER MISSION
:3: MANIFEST DESTINY
:2: ETHAN HUNT

Belmont Race 4
:7: HOWELL MOUNTAIN
:1: MINI SALA
:5: T R CREW

Belmont Race 5
:9: SAME KINDA CRAZY
:3: SAUVIGNON
:6: C DCAT

Teach
07-16-2016, 02:23 PM
I like :5: Silver Mission. :2: Ethan Hunt is a mystery. Raced greenly in only start.

Teach
07-16-2016, 02:27 PM
:5: , :4: ... :3: may be vulnerable. :1: wants to go longer but could complete an exotic.

Teach
07-16-2016, 03:02 PM
Superfecta key: :2: over the :1: , :4: , :5: , :6: w/ :1: , :4: , :5: , :6: w/ :1: , :4: , :5: , :6:

Superfecta part-wheel: :1: , :4: , :5: , :6: w/ :2: with :1: , :4: , :5: , :6: w/ :1: , :4: , :5: , :6:

Teach
07-16-2016, 03:05 PM
I don't like him being this fractious.

Teach
07-16-2016, 03:34 PM
I'm boxing the :3: , :6: , :9: in exactas.

Teach
07-16-2016, 04:07 PM
:1: , :2: , :5: are, ime, "the keys". I believe the :6: is vulnerable. Hard to bet :3: . :4:-horse could pick up the pieces.

Vinnie
07-16-2016, 06:03 PM
BEL R10

Exacta Box :4: :6: :8: