PDA

View Full Version : Paceadvantage difficulty loading recently

highnote
07-14-2016, 11:29 PM
For the past 4 or 5 days the Paceadvantage website is not loading the way it normally does. Sometimes I get a page not found error after several minutes of the spinning circle.

Other websites load normally for me which make me think it is the PA website, but I can't rule out that it could be my computer.

Is anyone else having this problem?

JustRalph
07-14-2016, 11:33 PM
Been having it tonight.

highnote
07-14-2016, 11:36 PM
Been having it tonight.

Maybe the service provider is having trouble with their server?

fast4522
07-14-2016, 11:43 PM
Maybe the service provider is having trouble with their server?

Obama is going to sign in under his PA handle and tell you guys it is global warming.

dartman51
07-15-2016, 12:25 AM
The server got moved to a basement in Chappaqua, N.Y. The F.B.I. is investigating. :D

Actor
07-15-2016, 12:37 AM
For the past 4 or 5 days the Paceadvantage website is not loading the way it normally does. Sometimes I get a page not found error after several minutes of the spinning circle.

Other websites load normally for me which make me think it is the PA website, but I can't rule out that it could be my computer.

Is anyone else having this problem?I am.

highnote
07-15-2016, 01:20 AM
The server got moved to a basement in Chappaqua, N.Y. The F.B.I. is investigating. :D

Monitoring the PA website? No wonder nothing gets done in Washington! :faint:

Greyfox
07-15-2016, 01:52 AM
I've found the site slow to load on several evenings for the last few weeks around 1:30 AM EDT or a little later.
I suspected that some type of maintenance was being done at that time.
This evening seems okay.

highnote
07-15-2016, 02:04 AM
I've been having delays about every 3 or 4 page loads it seems. Some delays are longer than others.

tucker6
07-15-2016, 06:26 AM
I've been having it time out once every week or two for months now. I come back to it 10-15 minutes later and it's as if nothing ever happened. I assumed server issue.

Tom
07-15-2016, 07:42 AM
Every morning around 7:30.
I log on, read one or two posts, then when I try to go to another, everything stops and the little spinning donut takes over.

I log off, try to come back and can't get to the site for anywhere from 5-10 minutes to half an hour.

sammy the sage
07-15-2016, 07:57 AM
had problems with A, flash player update 22...froze up any website that has advertising...had to delete it...

rosenowsr
07-15-2016, 08:17 AM
I was having the same problem, trying to access this site.This cured it for me.

Go to command line prompt and type in ipconfig /flushdns, be sure to have a space between the ipconfig and the forward slash.

Hope this helps.

tucker6
07-15-2016, 08:17 AM
Every morning around 7:30.
I log on, read one or two posts, then when I try to go to another, everything stops and the little spinning donut takes over.

I log off, try to come back and can't get to the site for anywhere from 5-10 minutes to half an hour.
just think what your post count would be without speed bumps.

tucker6
07-15-2016, 08:20 AM

Go to command line prompt and type in ipconfig /flushdns, be sure to have a space between the ipconfig and the forward slash.

Hope this helps.
Thanks. Let's see if that does the trick.

Tom
07-15-2016, 08:24 AM
just think what your post count would be without speed bumps.

Can I sue?

boxcar
07-15-2016, 08:25 AM

Is anyone else having this problem?

Nope, it's not your computer. This has been going on for awhile. I think the tremendous weight of the Religious site is the culprit. :D

chazz
07-15-2016, 08:42 AM
go to support.microsoft.com and find out who to call to help you install win 10

tucker6
07-15-2016, 08:55 AM
Can I sue?
I hear Pace is independently wealthy, so why not? He may give you the board as compensation. :lol:

boxcar
07-15-2016, 09:17 AM
go to support.microsoft.com and find out who to call to help you install win 10

Shirley U. Jest! Don't you know there's no such thing as a free lunch? What is free now, MS will eventually charge everyone a subscription fee of $7. per month down the road -- and for Spyware disguising itself as an OS to boot.
And when MS goes this route and eventually puts everyone on a monthly subscription plan regardless of the OS, that's when I go to Linux or Apple.

upthecreek
07-15-2016, 10:49 AM
Doesn't look like it will affect most consumers
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2016/07/14/microsoft-confirms-windows-10-new-monthly-charge/#49e23251dfab

highnote
07-15-2016, 10:51 AM
Shirley U. Jest! Don't you know there's no such thing as a free lunch? What is free now, MS will eventually charge everyone a subscription fee of $7. per month down the road -- and for Spyware disguising itself as an OS to boot.
And when MS goes this route and eventually puts everyone on a monthly subscription plan regardless of the OS, that's when I go to Linux or Apple.

I'm still running Win 7, but am noticing more and more problems with websites locking up. It's getting to the point where I can't open too many tabs because one tab will eventually freeze up and I have to reboot the browser and re-navigate to all the tabs I had open.

Microsoft eventually wants Windows 10 to be like your cable set-top box -- recurring rental fee.

Saratoga_Mike
07-15-2016, 11:28 AM
Can I sue?

I hear John Edwards is taking on new cases

davew
07-15-2016, 05:43 PM
I suspect the lag is related to the adchoices advertisements. Advertisements now are much more than a simple picture - some have movies and who knows what info they try to suck from your computer..It has made loading on searching on eBay almost unbearable.

jk3521
07-15-2016, 07:59 PM
[QUOTE=davew]I suspect the lag is related to the adchoices advertisements. Advertisements now are much more than a simple picture - some have movies and who knows what info they try to suck from your computer..It has made loading on on eBay almost unbearable.[/QUOTE

I have adblock plus so I don't see those ads and still have trouble with this site , mostly in the early morning hours when I try to log on after 5 A.M.

highnote
07-15-2016, 09:13 PM
I suspect the lag is related to the adchoices advertisements. Advertisements now are much more than a simple picture - some have movies and who knows what info they try to suck from your computer..It has made loading on searching on eBay almost unbearable.

I used to read the news on yahoo, but that's also becoming hard to read. As I scroll down the page it will freeze up. Their news site stinks, so it's not a big deal.

CNN's website is pretty awful, too.

I turn off cookies for most sites. NY Times and Forbes require cookies to be turned on, so I don't read their sites.

boxcar
07-15-2016, 09:52 PM
Doesn't look like it will affect most consumers
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2016/07/14/microsoft-confirms-windows-10-new-monthly-charge/#49e23251dfab

Not initially. But trust me: This will be the new marketing strategy going forward. I suspect that with the plethora of small gadgets out there, and with no end of the growing popularity of "small" in site, there will be far fewer desktops and laptops out there for MS to put their OSs into. MS just has too much competition. The demand for full blown Windows OS will continue to decrease. In fact, leasing, renting or subscribing has already caught on in other sectors of the internet businesses. For example, at one time you could buy a Uverse modem outright for a relatively modest price. But no more. Uverse now only leases their modems. Guess for how much? Would you believe $7. per month? Being online is only going to get more expensive going forward. And what's ironic about that is that the connect speeds in the U.S. are appreciably slower than in Europe! So...you're going to pay more for the internet experience while enjoying it less.

highnote
07-15-2016, 10:49 PM
Not initially. But trust me: This will be the new marketing strategy going forward. I suspect that with the plethora of small gadgets out there, and with no end of the growing popularity of "small" in site, there will be far fewer desktops and laptops out there for MS to put their OSs into. MS just has too much competition. The demand for full blown Windows OS will continue to decrease. In fact, leasing, renting or subscribing has already caught on in other sectors of the internet businesses. For example, at one time you could buy a Uverse modem outright for a relatively modest price. But no more. Uverse now only leases their modems. Guess for how much? Would you believe $7. per month? Being online is only going to get more expensive going forward. And what's ironic about that is that the connect speeds in the U.S. are appreciably slower than in Europe! So...you're going to pay more for the internet experience while enjoying it less.

When I retire I might get rid of everything except a house phone and snail mail. I might even buy a newspaper subscription. If people want to contact me they can call, visit, or send me a letter. I can live without the internet. Or go to the library when I really need to post something on Paceadvantage. :)

Dave Schwartz
07-15-2016, 11:10 PM
I am just guessing here but I'd say there are DNS issues somewhere - possibly close to the physical server's location.

Personally, I do not get slow page loads, but occasionally the page could not be reached error is shown. It has been better in the last few days.

Disclaimer: Nobody will ever confuse me with a web maven.

fast4522
07-15-2016, 11:45 PM
Truth is I have never had a slow page load here at PA, but then again I am still running XP Pro and Chrome. The next level of flash and Chrome is a no no under XP, me thinks Y'all are are having the updating blues.

Zaf
07-16-2016, 01:20 AM
Rarely ever have a problem, use Chrome and Firefox primarily.

Z

tucker6
07-16-2016, 08:03 AM

Hope this helps.
didn't work. I just had difficulty getting onto the site around 7:45am. Waited 15 minutes and no problem. Maybe it is as Tom said and this happens often around 7:30 in the morning.

boxcar
07-16-2016, 09:03 AM
Truth is I have never had a slow page load here at PA, but then again I am still running XP Pro and Chrome. The next level of flash and Chrome is a no no under XP, me thinks Y'all are are having the updating blues.

Frankly, I'm sorry I ever got rid of XP Pro. Kudos to you for keeping it. XP was actually one of the very few MS bright spots. But you're not getting updates, right? No security issues?

johnhannibalsmith
07-16-2016, 11:25 AM
I am just guessing here but I'd say there are DNS issues somewhere - possibly close to the physical server's location.

Personally, I do not get slow page loads, but occasionally the page could not be reached error is shown. It has been better in the last few days.

Disclaimer: Nobody will ever confuse me with a web maven.

I'm with you here. It happens to me for a pretty consistent period and I get a 'refused to connect' error so with my limited understanding of these things nowadays, I've been assuming it is a DNS type problem.

horses4courses
07-16-2016, 11:58 AM
Not having any problems here, but I understand fully why some are.
It's the effect of a glut of conservatism.

Sort of like the computer version of a bad bout of indigestion,
or irritable bowel syndrome. :lol:

bT8CRi9k4bo

highnote
07-16-2016, 02:03 PM
Just wrote a post in the Computer category. It took a long time to get posted.

Let's see how long this one takes to get posted.

EDIT: This one posted immediately.

Tom
07-16-2016, 02:49 PM
Frankly, I'm sorry I ever got rid of XP Pro. Kudos to you for keeping it. XP was actually one of the very few MS bright spots. But you're not getting updates, right? No security issues?

I got some kind of an update yesterday.
XP Rules!

boxcar
07-16-2016, 03:30 PM
I got some kind of an update yesterday.
XP Rules!

Seriously? You're still getting updates? I'm very jealous! I came close to keeping XP but then went to Win7. Then when I bought my laptop about a year ago, I had to go to 8. I hated the interface so I immediately downloaded Win7 skin for it.

With XP, do you get bugged to upgrade to 10?

Marshall Bennett
07-16-2016, 05:51 PM
When I use Opera I don't get the exact same home page here as I do with Firefox and IE. The "QuickLinks" tab doesn't exist on Opera for one thing.

Robert Fischer
07-16-2016, 05:55 PM
Getting the same thing here.

Assumed it was a late night maintenance issue.

Have had it happen once in a while during the day as well, although it's usually working within 5 minutes during the day.

Maybe it's the Brinks truck rolling up to Pace's server to put the revenue in off shore accounts

Tom
07-16-2016, 07:06 PM
Seriously? You're still getting updates? I'm very jealous! I came close to keeping XP but then went to Win7. Then when I bought my laptop about a year ago, I had to go to 8. I hated the interface so I immediately downloaded Win7 skin for it.

Very few updates, but several in the last year.
No mention of W10 at all, but I do have W7 machine in a box, never used, that I am going to set up and get W10 while it is still free. I Better hurry!
Big update for W10 coming 8/2 - just after the cut-off.
I will keep my two XP machines networked and use them for the majority of my work. Nothingnew out there I need. Office 97 is just fine, and it won't work on W10. I'll put Open Office on the W10 and use it for internet, videos, etc. and storage space.

Long term I want to ween MS 100% out of the picture.
But not that long! ;)

whodoyoulike
07-16-2016, 07:13 PM

I still receive a notice whenever I sign off on the first Tuesday of each month. Uncertain what type of updates I'm receiving.

My XP can't upgrade to Win 10 so, I don't remember seeing that notice.

whodoyoulike
07-16-2016, 07:23 PM
I use Chrome and occasionally have a difficult time accessing web pages on here and other sites. I've just recently started opening a new tab and delete all the other tabs. It seems to reset whatever and sometimes I'll clear the history. On PA, usually late at night I can't access the web site but I think it's because of maintenance so, I just come back after 1/2 hour and everything usually is okay.

highnote
07-17-2016, 03:08 PM
On PA, usually late at night I can't access the web site but I think it's because of maintenance so, I just come back after 1/2 hour and everything usually is okay.

It's only been happening to me for the past week or so, but it can happen at any time of day. Unfortunately, I don't always have the luxury of coming back in a half an hour. Fortunately, for everyone else, I don't really have anything important to say. :D

boxcar
07-17-2016, 04:56 PM
Very few updates, but several in the last year.
No mention of W10 at all, but I do have W7 machine in a box, never used, that I am going to set up and get W10 while it is still free. I Better hurry!
Big update for W10 coming 8/2 - just after the cut-off.
I will keep my two XP machines networked and use them for the majority of my work. Nothingnew out there I need. Office 97 is just fine, and it won't work on W10. I'll put Open Office on the W10 and use it for internet, videos, etc. and storage space.

Long term I want to ween MS 100% out of the picture.
But not that long! ;)

Since you want Win10, I would strongly recommend that you fix all the security loopholes in it before using it. If you're nerdy, it's not too difficult from what I've been told. But if you're not, you had better find a nerd. My brother-in-law is the nerd's nerd so he downloaded Win10 for the same reason -- it's free. Then he plugged all the security leaks.

fast4522
07-18-2016, 09:51 PM
I have XP Pro on two Desktops, updates turned off. Win 7 Ultimate on one laptop but all also have Linux Mint to dual boot on these computers. Sure I have a couple tablets too running other. It is really what one does with a computer, I spend most of my time either playing horse racing or I am in Visual Studio, or Excel. I have no reason to want the latest OS other than a tablet. Are you (the masses) really that web gooie that the latest thing is a must? Staples, Office Max, and many others are closing stores in droves because there are too many people like me. I understand most only have a limited space in the home for computer space so upgrading to new means old recycled.

PaceAdvantage
07-19-2016, 12:03 AM
1:20-1:40 am in the morning (east coast time) is not pretty around here. There is maintenance that goes on and the server has had problems keeping up and it's been going on for quite some time now.

There may be one other time during the day that this also happens...might be around 730am as Tom says, I have to check...

This place needs an enema, as Jack said once...

tucker6
07-19-2016, 07:49 AM
just happened when I tried to get back on at 7:43. Five minutes later and no problem.

PaceAdvantage
07-19-2016, 08:06 AM
It is this website...not you or anyone's browser or computer (probably).

barn32
07-19-2016, 08:32 AM
I have not had any problems whatsoever getting onto this left-wing, pinko-commie, right wing whacko-nut job web site.