PDA

View Full Version : CPU and memory usage

Marshall Bennett
07-14-2016, 05:12 PM
My computer just recently began behaving badly. CPU usage is often 70% or higher even with everything closed and nothing running on my behalf.
I'm running the task manager viewing process details and see that " svchost.exe" is the culprit with "SYSTEM" being the process title.
Does anyone know exactly what this is and how to fix whatever is screwing it up? I've done all the Windows maintenance test, did a system restore twice, cleaned registry, and tried to clean up as much as I can with CCleaner. Sometimes when I reboot a box pops up which reads "mindspark toolbar platform has stopped working". In both cases doing a system restore I got a message saying the process wasn't completed.
Any ideas by any of our experts out there. Would be appreciated. :)

JustRalph
07-14-2016, 05:34 PM
Shut it down/power off

Disconnect your network cable.

Restart and check it while not connected to the net

Marshall Bennett
07-14-2016, 06:18 PM
Thanks buddy. As soon as I'm done with a few things I'm doing I'll do that. :)

tupper
07-14-2016, 08:31 PM
- Boot a live CD/DVD (or a live USB);

- run antivirus from the live OS;

- back-up all of your data files to a separate drive;

- reboot your internal OS;

- if the problem remains, wipe your internal OS drive and reinstall (not restore) your internal OS.

Longshot6977
07-14-2016, 10:06 PM
Firstly- follow the uninstall instructions for Mindspark in this link:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-windows_programs/why-am-i-seeing-this-mindspark-toolbar-platform/5dfea7f7-8448-42f3-8cc4-01ef209ce88c?auth=1

Secondly- SVCHOST.exe may actually be a virus. Follow this link:
http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/how-to-fix-svchostexe-errors-and-problems-with-high-cpu-usage/

Good luck. Please report back here with an update.

Marshall Bennett
07-15-2016, 12:34 AM
Thanks guys. I'm thinking its a bug of some sort. Wish I knew more about computers. You always think you know enough to get by till something like this comes around.
Thanks Longshot I'll check it out after a night's sleep.