PDA

View Full Version : Belmont: Thursday, July 14

Teach
07-14-2016, 10:58 AM
Race One:

:6: Gucci Factor, the son of 3x Eclipse award winner, Carlo Ponti (remember him against Zenyatta in the Breeder’s Cup Classic), is my upset pick. I watched the replay of his only race; it was a stroll in Central Park. He settled in behind a phalanx of horses and never really threatened. This Christophe Clement trainee now switches to the main (I like that angle). A sharp recent work. Blinkers. Monsieur Clement does well with second route races. I believe we’ll see improvement. How much? Only time will tell. Others: :4: , :5: , :2:

Race Two:

:3: Helluva Choice compromised any chance he had of winning at first asking when – as is sometimes the case with first-time starters out of the one-hole – took a 45-degree path toward the inner rail. Well, by the time Irad Ortiz, Jr. straightened out this Wildcat Heir-bred grey colt, he had spotted the field several lengths. This colt then took up his “caboose” position at the rear of the field, though it should be stated that jockey Ortiz appeared to have a strangle-hold around this colt’s neck. A cleaner, straight-forward start would do wonders for this colt’s chances. The colt’s trainer, Steve Asmussen, does very well with horses making their second career start. Others: :2: , :1: , :5:

Race Three:

:2: Just Sisters is my choice on this 6 and ½ furlongs claiming sprint. This Speightstown-bred filly has been on a roll; she's reeled off two straight victories. She does move up a tad as she has now won out her lifetime conditions. Danny Gargan trains this daughter of Sister Alberta. Gargan does very well in most racing categories. Liston, LA’s Kendrick Carmouche reprises the ride. Others: :3: , :6: , :5:

Race Four:

:6: River Dancer is my choice in this 7 furlongs claimer on the Widener. This is the first time this horse drops in “for a tag”. This 5 year-old hasn’t shown much lately; yet against this company… Joel Rosario – he’s been finding is mojo, lately – is in the irons for trainer Dave Cannizzo. One note of caution: Trainer Cannizzo does not do well in the “turf starts” racing category. Others: :2: , :1: , :5:

Race Five:

:6: Stormy Alexis is my pick in this maiden-claiming turf route on The Inner. This Irish-bred, George Weaver trainee, finished a game second in her last despite lunging at the gate. Yet that was 11 months ago at “The Spa”. This Excellent Art-bred has hit the tote in 4 out of 5 lifetime turf starts. A solid recent work, upstate, signals readiness. Manny Franco is in the irons. Others: :8: , :1: , :5:

Race Six:

:12: Simple Love is my choice. Yes, this Proud Citizen-bred mare is dropping faster than Arrowsmith’s “Love In An Elevator” (“…living it up while you’re going down…”). Even the conservative DRF is calling this mare’s drop --- “suspicious”. Yet, this is this mare’s third start off a layoff, a category in which trainer Jason Servis does exceptionally well. This distaffer won her last; no reason she can’t make it two-straight. The Panamanian-born, Jose Lezcano, is in the irons. Others: :1: , :6: , :3:

Race Seven:

:12: Bullheaded Boy is my pick in this OC route on The Inner. It’s Boxcars time, alliteratively speaking, at Beautiful Belmont Park. (Oh, if this were a craps game parlay!). This Tiznow-bred colt was a closing sixth, only three lengths off the winner, in his most recent race nearly two months ago. There’s a slight stretch-out here. That helps. This Dave Cannizzo trainee has the services of the razor-sharp Joel Rosario. Again, a note of caution: trainer Cannizzo has a low percentage in turf starts. Others: :2: , :3: , :4:

Race Eight:

:2: Dads Caps get my nod in this 6 furlongs OC. This Discreet Cat-bred 6 year-old has been installed by NYRA oddsmaker, Eric Donovan, as the ML 4-to-5 favorite. I believe this Forestry-bred horse deserves the attention. A little over a month ago, this horse just missed winning the Grade II True North. This Grindstone-bred would appear to tower over this field. Rudy Rodriguez, the horse’s trainer, does very well with horses making dirt starts. Jose Ortiz is in the irons. Others: :6: , :1: , :4:

Race Nine:

:10: Yummy Bear is my pick in the finale, a race to be contested over the distance 7 furlongs on Belmont’s Widener Turf Course. This Candy Ride-bred bay gelding is now joining “the selling ranks”. I believe this class drop is just what this gelding needs to get his picture taken. This is the gelding’s third start off a layoff. Linda Rice trains this Talike Me-bred bay. Rice does well with both third starts off a layoff and maiden to maiden-claiming entries. Jose Ortiz is in the irons. Others: :4: , :6: , :2: