PDA

View Full Version : Kodi anyone?

mikesal57
07-14-2016, 10:14 AM
Hey..

I'm so tired of paying $188 a month for FIOS!!!

For the past few months , I have been learning and fooling around with a program call Kodi.
All you need is an internet connection and you can get tons of streaming media.
Most sports, PPV Events, movies old and just released..music....all for FREE!!!

There are many builds and more being developed every day making it a suitable replacement for cable.

Anyone here used it?

Mike

buzzy
07-14-2016, 02:14 PM
I have been using kodi for about a year now. I made the mistake of buying a preloaded amazon box, it's so easy to do yourself. just last month I bought a NVidia shield and loaded everything myself. everything you want to know is on a youtube video, I just watched ufc 200 last Saturday.. the only apps i use are Phoenix and exodus..i recommend getting the raw maintenance app, its for cleaning your cache and thumbnails etc..

good luck

mikesal57
07-14-2016, 02:46 PM
I have been using kodi for about a year now. I made the mistake of buying a preloaded amazon box, it's so easy to do yourself. just last month I bought a NVidia shield and loaded everything myself. everything you want to know is on a youtube video, I just watched ufc 200 last Saturday.. the only apps i use are Phoenix and exodus..i recommend getting the raw maintenance app, its for cleaning your cache and thumbnails etc..

good luck

Thxs Buzz...

I've been using a Amazon Fire Stick to test on....its Ok but crashes alot
Plus I was using some of the bigger builds that I shouldn't have...:)
The Niv Shield is top gun but at $200 its pricey....
I'm getting a Android Box today that has 2 gig of ram @ $42
I returned a $70 box yesterday that was crap ...
The Asians have a ton of boxes coming into the US and people dont know much about them and are getting burned..(yes ..like me)
But good thing Amazon takes em back....
My cable sub ends in Sept...so I better have something lined up...lol

Mike

buzzy
07-14-2016, 03:14 PM
Mike,

same thing happened to me. I ordered an Android box($95) from Amazon, could not get it to work, it kept crashing on me. Amazon gave refund no questions asked. I would be leery of the reviews on them boxes. I bit the bullet and bought the NVidia shield. glad I did, performance was night and day.
good luck with the new box

mikesal57
07-14-2016, 03:40 PM
Mike,

same thing happened to me. I ordered an Android box($95) from Amazon, could not get it to work, it kept crashing on me. Amazon gave refund no questions asked. I would be leery of the reviews on them boxes. I bit the bullet and bought the NVidia shield. glad I did, performance was night and day.
good luck with the new box

Most likely you'll know what I'll end up with... :bang:

Mike

P.S.- Do you do much exploring with the apps?
I know Phoenix and Exodus are very good too...

buzzy
07-14-2016, 04:35 PM
no not really.. 1 channel is pretty good. but for the most part its 1 channel, exodus and Phoenix. there is so much on them 3 apps, I found the NYRA feed on phoenix. then once a week I run the raw maintenance app

kingfin66
07-14-2016, 05:01 PM
I am going to play the devil's advocate here. How is this content free? For example, when you say that you streamed ufc 200 for free, my immediate thought is that the link was pirated and posted. In other words, illegal. What will prevent the feds from going after kodi and possibly even those who benefit from its content? Someone once told me that if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Red Knave
07-15-2016, 09:52 AM
What will prevent the feds from going after kodi and possibly even those who benefit from its content?
I've been seeing articles lately about media companies like Bell and Global here in Canada going after resellers of boxes.
Even the Kodi community is concerned https://kodi.tv/the-piracy-box-sellers-and-youtube-promoters-are-killing-kodi/

mikesal57
07-15-2016, 10:15 AM
I am going to play the devil's advocate here. How is this content free? For example, when you say that you streamed ufc 200 for free, my immediate thought is that the link was pirated and posted. In other words, illegal. What will prevent the feds from going after kodi and possibly even those who benefit from its content? Someone once told me that if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Kodi is a free and open source media program....most likely they cant be shut down....but your true on the stuff you put on probably isnt legal....

Just like torrents, they have been around forever and feds try to take em down just to pop up somewhere else...

And guess what, the UK is probably the biggest advocate on using this...

Bottom line...until it is totally illegal...its there ...use it

Mike

kingfin66
07-16-2016, 12:48 PM
I am definitely looking to cut the cord on cable. I am just tired of so many things about it. Most recently, Dish has removed my local Fox channel. The NFL network contract expired so we no longer have that channel, which we are paying for. I mentioned kodi to my sons. They are 17 years old and strongly objected to using it as they reminded me that it is illegal. I always say that my sons are a good example to me. :)

What I am looking at instead is Sling TV and an HD antenna. I still won't get many channels, but I will get most of the ones I want and for just $20-25/mo.

mikesal57
07-16-2016, 04:54 PM
I am definitely looking to cut the cord on cable. I am just tired of so many things about it. Most recently, Dish has removed my local Fox channel. The NFL network contract expired so we no longer have that channel, which we are paying for. I mentioned kodi to my sons. They are 17 years old and strongly objected to using it as they reminded me that it is illegal. I always say that my sons are a good example to me. :)

What I am looking at instead is Sling TV and an HD antenna. I still won't get many channels, but I will get most of the ones I want and for just $20-25/mo.

Tell your kids that the cable company is stealing from you.....and your just getting payback ;)

Red Knave
07-16-2016, 05:18 PM
Kodi is a free and open source media program....most likely they cant be shut down....but your true on the stuff you put on probably isnt legal....Kodi just provides the engine to make the content available on your device(s), it has no content of it's own. Content is provided by 3rd parties, some legitimate and supported by the Kodi team, some not.
I demoed a nice Kodi box I bought at Costco. As well as the media software it also had a tv tuner built in so I could receive and dvr broadcast tv with one box and remote. Almost perfect. I sent it back to wait for the 2 tuner version so I could record one show while watching another. In the Kodi world that doesn't make sense because I could surely find the show I originally wanted to record using Kodi almost as soon as it was finished broadcasting. The issue with the whole thing was the WAF (i.e. the Wife Acceptance Factor). Changing modes in Kodi is not difficult but requires more than my wife wanted to put up with so I had to let it go.
I'm using an antenna with a ChannelMaster DVR+ and Netflix right now and I'm pretty happy with the combination.
Kingfin, if I could get Amazon Prime streaming or SlingTV in Canada I would go look at them too.

mikesal57
07-17-2016, 12:19 PM
Kodi just provides the engine to make the content available on your device(s), it has no content of it's own. Content is provided by 3rd parties, some legitimate and supported by the Kodi team, some not.
I demoed a nice Kodi box I bought at Costco. As well as the media software it also had a tv tuner built in so I could receive and dvr broadcast tv with one box and remote. Almost perfect. I sent it back to wait for the 2 tuner version so I could record one show while watching another. In the Kodi world that doesn't make sense because I could surely find the show I originally wanted to record using Kodi almost as soon as it was finished broadcasting. The issue with the whole thing was the WAF (i.e. the Wife Acceptance Factor). Changing modes in Kodi is not difficult but requires more than my wife wanted to put up with so I had to let it go.
I'm using an antenna with a ChannelMaster DVR+ and Netflix right now and I'm pretty happy with the combination.
Kingfin, if I could get Amazon Prime streaming or SlingTV in Canada I would go look at them too.

Come Sept my FIOS sub is over...already told wife to get use to kodi..
I have a Harmony remote , soon I will program it so that it is as easy as possible to watch Kodi...( at least I'll try)

Had a ball last night to 4 am watching the old Dean Martin Celebrity Roast's
Watched my favorite with Bob Hope ....Wow the people on those shows were awesome ...a gathering of personal like that will never happen in this day and age...

mike

reckless
07-26-2016, 10:37 PM

As I understand it, Kodi is an open source software media player (originally called XBMC, which stood for X Box Media Center). Kodi, and all those builds, such as Phoenix or 1 Channel are streaming content, such as movies, TV shows, music, etc., and nothing more.

In the technology world, the streaming of any content is considered much different than downloading the same content. This might be little more than simple semantics but there is a difference.

The people that sell boxes to streaming content might have a tougher time if content companies go after them but I am no lawyer. Also, many people that created these builds, similar to Phoenix could get some heat too, but I beleive people such as ourselves are not committing an illegal act by using Kodi for content..

There have been many cases of many builders no longer do so. I am not sure if they were chased by content corporations or the government. They could have simply gotten bored or tired of managing it. I don't profess to know for sure.

If one has a more modern computer and high speed internet access then it is folly to purchase an Android box of any kind. Plus, if you do have an older desktop gathering dust, one could connect their older monitor and use that monitor as your screen. As someone mentioned earlier, a raspberry Pi type $29 computer works great for Kodi and and the price is right too.

I am happy to read that the NYRA feed could be streamed thru Kodi. I haven't had much luck finding 'live' programming so I now will be exploring it more often now.

Go to you tube and type the names jasonmoore, and peter carcione, these guys are just great, and you'll be on your way for sure.

Good luck everyone and enjoy.

kingfin66
07-26-2016, 10:51 PM
Thanks for that info reckless. I will continue to learn more and hopefully get some type of assurance that what I am doing (if I opt to go in that direction) is not illegal.

JustRalph
07-26-2016, 11:18 PM
Come Sept my FIOS sub is over...already told wife to get use to kodi..
I have a Harmony remote , soon I will program it so that it is as easy as possible to watch Kodi...( at least I'll try)

Had a ball last night to 4 am watching the old Dean Martin Celebrity Roast's
Watched my favorite with Bob Hope ....Wow the people on those shows were awesome ...a gathering of personal like that will never happen in this day and age...

mike

Foster Brooks! One of my favs 👍

JimG
07-27-2016, 10:49 AM

I recommend Playstation Vue over SlingTV even though it costs a little more. You get more channels and the apps also sign in to content on the computer and phone etc.

mikesal57
07-27-2016, 10:53 AM
I recommend Playstation Vue over SlingTV even though it costs a little more. You get more channels and the apps also sign in to content on the computer and phone etc.

Your gonna pay , the least $40 for about 10 channels you use...

no movies , no sports

nahhhh

mikesal57
07-27-2016, 10:56 AM
Another TV app...google MOBDRO....

Check out youtube video's

amazing!!

JimG
07-27-2016, 02:08 PM
Your gonna pay , the least $40 for about 10 channels you use...

no movies , no sports

nahhhh
Plenty of movies and sports for many in the $29.99 ( or $39.99 with locals) package. ESPN 1 and 2 as well as Fox Sports 1 and 2. They both (PVue and SlingTV) have free trials for people to try.

BIG49010
07-28-2016, 10:12 PM
Been using it for year & 1/2 works great I have fire tvbox. Castaway great ap for sports, exudus for movies - TV. Things change all the time, but seems to get better, not worse! It will take a change in streaming laws for a shutdown I am told.

kingfin66
09-27-2016, 10:58 AM
The legality of selling Kodi is being tested.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-37474595

mikesal57
09-27-2016, 11:16 AM
The legality of selling Kodi is being tested.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-37474595

Well ...it has began

And whats to say down the road that a Fire Stick , Roku, Blu Ray Players, Smart Tv's..etc are illegal too
Kodi doesnt store any media , its just like the above devices...