PDA

View Full Version : Washington Post on racing deaths

Aerocraft67
07-14-2016, 08:29 AM
Saw this article (https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/hundreds-of-racehorses-die-at-the-track-each-year-their-deaths-may-be-preventable/2016/07/13/1250df9e-3412-11e6-8ff7-7b6c1998b7a0_story.html) in the Post today. First thing I thought was, "wow, a horse racing article noted on the front page." Of course the subject is negative, but the article otherwise seems pretty fair. Good quote here, especially the last sentence:

“In the rest of the world, horse racing is more of a sport. In the U.S., it’s got a little bit of a business aspect to it,” said Rick Arthur, the equine medical director at the California Racing Board. “Horse racing needs to become drug-free, and when I talk about drug-free, I’m talking about international standard. I think we need to do that to be able to convince the public that the horse is our primary interest. I think that’s absolutely imperative for horse racing to succeed in a very changing environment.”

Whatever your take on improving the welfare of race horses, breakdowns are yet another headwind against racing's ongoing viability that it could do without.

bello
07-14-2016, 10:04 AM
Actually I find the article quite positive. Even if you don't care about the horses (not directed at OP who also said the article was fair and I agree) there are humans on the backs of these horses when they break down. Many at the smaller tracks that risk their well-being riding horses that are raced out, drugged up, or otherwise unfit to race. All not fair to the bettors either.

pandy
07-14-2016, 11:56 AM
Interesting article. The scan sounds like a good idea.