PDA

View Full Version : DON'T TALK TO POLICE

highnote
07-12-2016, 04:04 PM
This video is highly recommended. It explains why you should never answer a question asked to you by a police officer.

They can lie to you and mislead you and help convict you, even if you are telling the truth.

6wXkI4t7nuc

Next time you get pulled over for speeding you will think twice about how you answer the cop when he says, "Do you know how fast you were going?"

JustRalph
07-12-2016, 04:30 PM
I recommend everybody watch it.

highnote
07-12-2016, 04:45 PM
I recommend everybody watch it.

Police officers can be pretty persuasive when they interview a suspect. Like the cop in the video says -- cops are experts and most suspects are amateurs. This makes it hard for a lot of people to not give some sort of an answer during an interview.

The officer makes a good point about the U.S. justice system... in Italy, for example, the police can physically assault you in order to get a confession. The founding fathers understood this and factored this into the Constitution.

Fager Fan
07-12-2016, 04:46 PM
This video is highly recommended. It explains why you should never answer a question asked to you by a police officer.

They can lie to you and mislead you and help convict you, even if you are telling the truth.

6wXkI4t7nuc

Next time you get pulled over for speeding you will think twice about how you answer the cop when he says, "Do you know how fast you were going?"

I don't plan to lead my life that way. Being honest and sincere has worked well for me for all these years, I'm not going to change now. A cop won't be interrogating me for much anyway. I think my last speeding ticket was 20 years ago.

highnote
07-12-2016, 05:01 PM
I don't plan to lead my life that way. Being honest and sincere has worked well for me for all these years, I'm not going to change now. A cop won't be interrogating me for much anyway. I think my last speeding ticket was 20 years ago.

Well, if JustRalph, a former police officer, recommends that you watch it, you might want to take his advice and spend a few minutes watching it. Even if you don't feel you will ever need the information, someone you know might.

I plan to make sure my kids watch it and understand the implications of giving incriminating statements, even if they are innocent and telling the truth!

shots
07-12-2016, 05:05 PM
Glad I watched it. Don't let you guard down.

highnote
07-12-2016, 05:14 PM
Glad I watched it. Don't let you guard down.

Saw this in the comment section of the video:

When asked reply for the first time, 'On the advice of my attorney I have no statement to make.' If they ask you again reply, 'For the second time, on the advice of my attorney I have no statement to make.' If they keep asking you simply reply with the subsequent numbers. I've had police ask me half a dozen times or more before it sinks in, 'For the sixth time....' At which point they'll either cite you, arrest you, or quit bothering you and leave. If they cite you - ticket you - don't say anything Deal with it in court, but speak to a lawyer first even if just for a consultation. If you're arrested make double sure you clam up and ask for legal representation immediately. Once you do that everything afterward is inadmissible - fruit of the poison tree. If you don't you can be screwed. There's not shortage of cops who specialize in this. They take you to the station, someone comes in starts bullshiting you about anything you connect with, would you like a coffee, a smoke, gee we're getting to be good buddies aren't we, why don't you just tell me what happened and I'll help you out 'cause I'm your pal.....you talk and then you're screwed.

Rule #1. Don't talk to cops. Don't be a jerk about it. Just clam up.
Rule #2. See rule #1.

When this poster says there is no shortage of cops who specialize in this. This is the same thing the cop in the video says -- they're professionals and the suspects are the amateurs.

highnote
07-12-2016, 05:38 PM
In fairness to the police... sometimes people do get a reduced sentence because they are cooperative with the police and tell the truth. The problem is, you never know if this is going to happen.

Fager Fan
07-12-2016, 06:09 PM
Well, if JustRalph, a former police officer, recommends that you watch it, you might want to take his advice and spend a few minutes watching it. Even if you don't feel you will ever need the information, someone you know might.

I plan to make sure my kids watch it and understand the implications of giving incriminating statements, even if they are innocent and telling the truth!

I don't think raising kids to be uncooperative with the police is a positive lesson or good for society. What kind of trouble are you expecting your kids to get into?

It's one thing to say shut up if you wake up with a dead body in your bed and entirely another to say never answer (or help) a cop, even over something as minor as a traffic violation.

JustRalph
07-12-2016, 06:52 PM
This video has been around a while in one form or another.

I STRONGLY RECOMMEND THIS VIDEO

highnote
07-12-2016, 09:34 PM
I don't think raising kids to be uncooperative with the police is a positive lesson or good for society.

It is a positive lesson and good for society to raise kids to know their Constitutional rights.

I would really like to see how you explain why a person invoking their rights under the 5th amendment is being uncooperative with the police?

highnote
07-12-2016, 09:38 PM
This video has been around a while in one form or another.

I STRONGLY RECOMMEND THIS VIDEO

My wife, kids, and I had a terrific discussion about this tonight.

They had a lot of questions about what to do in certain situations. It's good that they want to learn about how and why the 5th amendment is used.

Fager Fan
07-12-2016, 10:04 PM
It is a positive lesson and good for society to raise kids to know their Constitutional rights.

I would really like to see how you explain why a person invoking their rights under the 5th amendment is being uncooperative with the police?

Because of how you put it:

You followed it up with not answering a question when pulled for speeding.

That's terrible. You're teaching your kids to be belligerent and discourteous and assorted other negatives. There are times when one should answer and times when you shouldn't. You use your judgment in the situation. It's never a never situation.

If my kid was kidnapped, you bet I'm going to answer every question and be as helpful as I can be. If I'm stopped and asked if I know my taillight is out I'll say yes or no depending on what the truth is. If I wake up with a dead body in my bed and don't know how it got there, then I'm lawyering up.

A cop may even ask me if I'm having a nice day. I answer. You totally misstated the proper position here.

highnote
07-12-2016, 10:26 PM

And if you would have watched the video you would have known what I was referring to. But instead you jumped on me like I was some kind of bad parent.

There is nothing wrong with not answering questions. It is not required and anything that a person says can be used against them.

Again, if you would watch the video, you would know why it is not a good idea to answer questions.

That's terrible. You're teaching your kids to be belligerent and discourteous and assorted other negatives.

You're ignorant of the rights afforded to citizens by the Constitution. There is absolutely nothing terrible about teaching my kids to respect the law, work within the law, and exercise their rights under the law.

Refusing to answer a question is not belligerent or discourteous. The 5th amendment is a right that all the patriots that founded this country fought for.

There are times when one should answer and times when you shouldn't. You use your judgment in the situation. It's never a never situation.

You cannot be penalized for exercising your rights. If you are penalized then your rights have been violated.

If my kid was kidnapped, you bet I'm going to answer every question and be as helpful as I can be.

I assume in this scenario you are not a suspect and not guilty. However, if you are a suspect and are guilty then I hope you answer every question asked of you without an attorney present. :D

If I'm stopped and asked if I know my taillight is out I'll say yes or no depending on what the truth is.

You need to watch the video. There are too many things to go into and not enough time for me to list all the reasons why this may or may not be a good idea.

A cop may even ask me if I'm having a nice day. I answer.

It would depend on the situation. If I am under arrest and the cop was asking me if I'm having a nice day because that is somehow relevant to my being arrested then the appropriate response might be to remain silent.

If a cop passes me on the street and asks me if I'm having a nice day then I nod and say, "Yes. Thank you. How about you?"

You totally misstated the proper position here.

I don't know what you're referring to.

PhantomOnTour
07-12-2016, 10:32 PM

That's terrible. You're teaching your kids to be belligerent and discourteous and assorted other negatives. There are times when one should answer and times when you shouldn't. You use your judgment in the situation. It's never a never situation.

If my kid was kidnapped, you bet I'm going to answer every question and be as helpful as I can be. If I'm stopped and asked if I know my taillight is out I'll say yes or no depending on what the truth is. If I wake up with a dead body in my bed and don't know how it got there, then I'm lawyering up.

A cop may even ask me if I'm having a nice day. I answer. You totally misstated the proper position here.
Simply stating that you won't answer questions without legal representation is considered belligerent and discourteous?...huh,that's news to me

Fager Fan
07-12-2016, 10:48 PM
And if you would have watched the video you would have known what I was referring to. But instead you jumped on me like I was some kind of bad parent.

There is nothing wrong with not answering questions. It is not required and anything that a person says can be used against them.

Again, if you would watch the video, you would know why it is not a good idea to answer questions.

You're ignorant of the rights afforded to citizens by the Constitution. There is absolutely nothing terrible about teaching my kids to respect the law, work within the law, and exercise their rights under the law.

Refusing to answer a question is not belligerent or discourteous. The 5th amendment is a right that all the patriots that founded this country fought for.

You cannot be penalized for exercising your rights. If you are penalized then your rights have been violated.

I assume in this scenario you are not a suspect and not guilty. However, if you are a suspect and are guilty then I hope you answer every question asked of you without an attorney present. :D

You need to watch the video. There are too many things to go into and not enough time for me to list all the reasons why this may or may not be a good idea.

It would depend on the situation. If I am under arrest and the cop was asking me if I'm having a nice day because that is somehow relevant to my being arrested then the appropriate response might be to remain silent.

If a cop passes me on the street and asks me if I'm having a nice day then I nod and say, "Yes. Thank you. How about you?"

Good Lord. First, I know all about pleading the fifth and if I ever find myself in the situation where it's wise and appropriate, that's what I'll do. That's also what I'd advise my kids and everyone else. I'd never make a blanket statement that you never answer a cop's question. And yes, depending on the situation, that could well be uncooperative or even belligerent. It could also be rude to a person who happens to be wearing a uniform instead of what you're wearing.

There's nothing more I can say to explain why your position is wrong. And yes, I watched the freaking long video.

barahona44
07-12-2016, 10:57 PM

Obviuosly, if this is a criminal charge, you keep your mouth shut.But what if it is a traffic stop a situation the police have a tremendous amount of discretion?.You start invoking the Fifth amendment and the cop may decide"F**k you, boss, here's a ticket and enjoy those surcharges for the next three years".A polite, respectful tone will get you out of a ticket as likely as not.So in a way, you CAN get punished for invoking your rights.And like it or not, some jury members hear "refused to cooperate, demanded a lawyer, etc" and they think "What's he hiding"?

highnote
07-12-2016, 11:01 PM
Good Lord. First, I know all about pleading the fifth and if I ever find myself in the situation where it's wise and appropriate, that's what I'll do. That's also what I'd advise my kids and everyone else. I'd never make a blanket statement that you never answer a cop's question. And yes, depending on the situation, that could well be uncooperative or even belligerent. It could also be rude to a person who happens to be wearing a uniform instead of what you're wearing.

There's nothing more I can say to explain why your position is wrong. And yes, I watched the freaking long video.

Well, the way you answered it sounded like you didn't know what the 5th is.

But it sounds like you do -- or else you just brushed up on it. ;)

I stand by my statement that if a person is ever arrested they should not answer questions without having council present. There is nothing wrong about a person exercising their rights.

Fager Fan
07-12-2016, 11:10 PM
Well, the way you answered it sounded like you didn't know what the 5th is.

But it sounds like you do -- or else you just brushed up on it. ;)

I stand by my statement that if a person is ever arrested they should not answer questions without having council present. There is nothing wrong about a person exercising their rights.

You didn't think I don't know what the 5th is. I don't come across that stupid, and even addressed it early on here.

Now you're changing your statement. There's a big difference in being arrested and "never answer a cop's questions" even if pulled over for speeding. I made that distinction a long time ago but you kept arguing against it, just to change your stance now to one more similar to mine.

The poster above gave an example of why your "never" stance is unwise. I'll give you another. You tell the cop you're carrying a concealed weapon. He asks where it is. You think it's any way smart to decide you're not going to answer? The examples are endless as to why your previous stance was wrong, but it looks like you've changed your stance now. I hope you explain it to the kids now.

highnote
07-12-2016, 11:15 PM
Obviuosly, if this is a criminal charge, you keep your mouth shut.But what if it is a traffic stop a situation the police have a tremendous amount of discretion?.You start invoking the Fifth amendment and the cop may decide"F**k you, boss, here's a ticket and enjoy those surcharges for the next three years".A polite, respectful tone will get you out of a ticket as likely as not.So in a way, you CAN get punished for invoking your rights.And like it or not, some jury members hear "refused to cooperate, demanded a lawyer, etc" and they think "What's he hiding"?

Well, if a cop pulls you over and asks you if you know how fast you were going, it would be wise to say nothing. You cannot be penalized for doing that.

You can do it politely and respectfully. You don't have to be a jackass about it. I think a cop would respect you if you did it in a respectful tone. Hell, you could even joke with him about it.

If the officer says, "Do you know how fast you were going?"

You could say, "Hi Officer. I know it sounds silly, but my brother is an attorney and he always told me not to answer questions without him being present. If I answer that question I am pretty sure he will wallop me up alongside my head! :D No. I'm serious... you don't know my brother. He would do it!"

Or something along those lines.

This lets the cop know that you know your rights.

Maybe you know you were going 25 miles per hour over the limit. Why lie and say, "Oh... I don't know... maybe 3 or 4 miles over the limit?" He knows what you're trying to do.

What if you were really only going 15 miles over the limit, but you thought you were going 25 miles over, and you say, "Well I think I was going about 25 miles over the limit." He may have had the radar on the wrong car or got a faulty reading. Now you've just incriminated yourself.

highnote
07-12-2016, 11:18 PM
You didn't think I don't know what the 5th is. I don't come across that stupid, .

I'll invoke the 5th. :D

Now you're changing your statement. There's a big difference in being arrested and "never answer a cop's questions" even if pulled over for speeding. I made that distinction a long time ago but you kept arguing against it, just to change your stance now to one more similar to mine.

The poster above gave an example of why your "never" stance is unwise. I'll give you another. You tell the cop you're carrying a concealed weapon. He asks where it is. You think it's any way smart to decide you're not going to answer? The examples are endless as to why your previous stance was wrong, but it looks like you've changed your stance now. I hope you explain it to the kids now.

You're wrong. I posted a link to a video by a defense attorney titled "Don't Talk To Police". My whole point was based on the video. It's not my fault you couldn't connect the dots. Don't blame me for you not taking the time to watch the video before posting.

Like Grits said... you like to twist people's words.

Here is exactly what I said in the first line of the post that started this thread:

If you think that I also meant that you should never answer a cop's question when he asks me if I'm having a nice day while we pass each other on the street then you missed the whole point.

thaskalos
07-13-2016, 12:12 AM

6wXkI4t7nuc

This was an enlightening video...and I am glad that I watched it. The professor was amusing beyond words, and his students are lucky to have him as a teacher...as, I suppose, will be his future clients...should he ever decide to return to his defense attorney practice.

Fager Fan
07-13-2016, 12:18 AM
I'll invoke the 5th. :D

You're wrong. I posted a link to a video by a defense attorney titled "Don't Talk To Police". My whole point was based on the video. It's not my fault you couldn't connect the dots. Don't blame me for you not taking the time to watch the video before posting.

Like Grits said... you like to twist people's words.

Here is exactly what I said in the first line of the post that started this thread:

If you think that I also meant that you should never answer a cop's question when he asks me if I'm having a nice day while we pass each other on the street then you missed the whole point.

Yes, I twist words when I quote you exactly. Perhaps you should say what you mean instead of saying what you don't mean and then accuse others of twisting your words.

We shouldn't go three pages and 20,000 words (all from you) before you finally admit you didn't really mean what you said.

highnote
07-13-2016, 01:52 AM
Yes, I twist words when I quote you exactly.

Now you're starting to get it.

I posted:

And you completely missed the point and started accusing me of teaching my kids to be belligerent and disrespectful, or something to that affect.

But now I get it. Reading comprehension is not your strong point.

We shouldn't go three pages and 20,000 words (all from you) before you finally admit you didn't really mean what you said.

No one is making you read my 20,000 words. And I admit that you still don't get it. But if you want to misinterpret what I've written and twist my words, that's OK, too.

Fager Fan
07-13-2016, 01:59 AM
I get one thing: Mark Twain's quote is accurate.

"Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

You win.

sammy the sage
07-13-2016, 07:21 AM
This was an enlightening video...and I am glad that I watched it. The professor was amusing beyond words, and his students are lucky to have him as a teacher...as, I suppose, will be his future clients...should he ever decide to return to his defense attorney practice.

Welcome back...hope all is well!!! :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Tom
07-13-2016, 07:28 AM
You have the right to remain silent.
So don't even give them your name.

As long you don't have anything planned for a few days.....:bang:

highnote
07-13-2016, 07:59 PM
You have the right to remain silent.
So don't even give them your name.

As long you don't have anything planned for a few days.....:bang:

If you are driving a car and ask to see license and registration, they can see your name. So it is a moot point in that case.

In the case of someone walking down the street and a police officer asks you to identify yourself, it would depend on the scenario whether or not you are required to identify yourself.

I found this info:

The US Supreme Court has explained that “an officer may not arrest a suspect for failure to identify himself if the request for identification is not reasonably related to the circumstances justifying the stop.” Hiibel v. Sixth Judicial District, 542 U.S. 177 (2004). That is, unless the state has a specific statute requiring people to provide ID to law enforcement upon request, which California does not have.

So, in short, unless the officers have reason to see your ID that is related to a reasonable suspicion of YOUR criminal activity, they cannot force you to provide your ID.

But, the Supreme Court has also explained that “a police officer is free to ask a person for identification without implicating the Fourth Amendment.” (See INS v. Delgado, 466 U.S. 210, 216, 104 S.Ct. 1758, 80 L.Ed.2d 247 (1984).) So an officer may lawfully request that people produce identification, but that does not mean the officer can arrest a person for refusal to do so unless criminal acts are suspected.

highnote
07-13-2016, 08:14 PM
I get one thing: Mark Twain's quote is accurate.

"Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

You win.

Mark Twain is one of my favorites. He has a ton of great quotes!