PDA

View Full Version : Harvard Study: no racial bias in police shootings

Clocker
07-12-2016, 11:23 AM
A study by a black professor at Harvard finds that there is no identifiable racial bias in police shootings. It did find that 'officers were more likely to interact physically with non-whites than whites'.

The professor said that his study was 'the most surprising result of my career'.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/jul/11/no-racial-bias-police-shootings-study-harvard-prof/ (http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/jul/11/no-racial-bias-police-shootings-study-harvard-prof/)

Tom
07-12-2016, 11:50 AM
Uh oh...the road rats will be hanging out in front of his house.

Who the Hell does he think he is, having a national discussion on race?

RunForTheRoses
07-12-2016, 12:05 PM
I wonder why this isn't splashed across all the big papers like the NYT? Some wil just dismiss it because it's that right wing moonie paper.

Of course I do know hey but...

dartman51
07-12-2016, 12:18 PM
You can't take that study serious. Everyone knows that Harvard is a RIGHT WING kook school, with nothing but FAR RIGHT professors. :rolleyes:

Marshall Bennett
07-12-2016, 12:25 PM
He's now "Uncle Tom". For now on refer to him accordingly please. :)

Clocker
07-12-2016, 12:32 PM
I wonder why this isn't splashed across all the big papers like the NYT? Some wil just dismiss it because it's that right wing moonie paper.

Of course I do know hey but...

It looks like the NY Times actually did give it some good space.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/12/upshot/surprising-new-evidence-shows-bias-in-police-use-of-force-but-not-in-shootings.html?_r=0

Clocker
07-12-2016, 12:39 PM
You can't take that study serious. Everyone knows that Harvard is a RIGHT WING kook school, with nothing but FAR RIGHT professors. :rolleyes:

You're right. I bet the Koch brothers funded that study. :p

RunForTheRoses
07-12-2016, 01:18 PM
It looks like the NY Times actually did give it some good space.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/12/upshot/surprising-new-evidence-shows-bias-in-police-use-of-force-but-not-in-shootings.html?_r=0

Land O Goshen, have to give NYT kudos for that. The problem is that the average reader of said paper is bombarded with nonsense, for instance I was listening to npr this morning and the tendentious bs was remarkable.

Hank
07-12-2016, 03:57 PM
A study by a black professor at Harvard finds that there is no identifiable racial bias in police shootings. It did find that 'officers were more likely to interact physically with non-whites than whites'.

The professor said that his study was 'the most surprising result of my career'.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/jul/11/no-racial-bias-police-shootings-study-harvard-prof/ (http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/jul/11/no-racial-bias-police-shootings-study-harvard-prof/)

"Physically interact" :lol: :lol:

Saratoga_Mike
07-12-2016, 04:06 PM
"Physically interact" :lol: :lol:

You're mocking Prof Fryer's term? He seems like your type of guy ...

http://scholar.harvard.edu/files/fryer/files/rolandfryer_cv_2015.pdf

delayjf
07-13-2016, 11:34 AM
I recall a criminal justice class called "minorities and the Criminal Justice System" or something like that. The studies we examined at in time reached the same conclusion, and that blacks were over represented in the criminal justice because they were more likely to engaged in criminal behavior, putting them in contact with the Police.

I remember at one point, one woman (white) got so disgusted with the results of the studies that literally started screaming we were all wrong and a bunch of racist, that she had lived in the ghetto and knew better than all the studies. She then stormed out of the class never to return.

Clocker
07-13-2016, 11:52 AM
She then stormed out of the class never to return.

Probably got shot in a drive-by. :rolleyes:

ronsmac
07-13-2016, 01:21 PM

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/jul/11/no-racial-bias-police-shootings-study-harvard-prof/ (http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/jul/11/no-racial-bias-police-shootings-study-harvard-prof/)A pretty dumb study. There's always racial bias in almost every facet of life by all races.

tucker6
07-13-2016, 02:20 PM
A pretty dumb study. There's always racial bias in almost every facet of life by all races.
It appears the study went over your head. That wasn't the point. Given all the racial bias that exists, no discernible bias was detected in violent outcomes between citizens and police.

Clocker
07-13-2016, 02:31 PM
It appears the study went over your head.

Apparently. Racial bias cannot easily be measured. The effect of people acting on it can. The study says that there is no evidence that racial bias has a disproportionate effect on police shootings, something that many, including BLM, strongly assert without proof.

ronsmac
07-13-2016, 04:56 PM
It appears the study went over your head. That wasn't the point. Given all the racial bias that exists, no discernible bias was detected in violent outcomes between citizens and police.That's absurd and you obviously don't live in the real world.

tucker6
07-13-2016, 05:05 PM
That's absurd and you obviously don't live in the real world.
Who to believe? A black Harvard professor who produces a study showing no bias in violent incidents, or an anonymous internet poster who goes by what he reads in the paper. Boy, this is a toughie. Let me get back to you with my answer.

ronsmac
07-13-2016, 05:42 PM
Who to believe? A black Harvard professor who produces a study showing no bias in violent incidents, or an anonymous internet poster who goes by what he reads in the paper. Boy, this is a toughie. Let me get back to you with my answer.I don't care if he's black or Japanese. One of the many reasons police stops even get physical is because of the bias cops have against blacks. Physical confrontations are more likely to lead to an escalation where someone gets shot.Even Black cops have a bias against blacks and they should. Their life is on the line. I talk to four retired cops every single work day and they'd tell you of course they were biased against blacks because of previous bad experiences. This is so basic it's criminal that the liberal institution of higher learning wasted the time and money on this study. It wouldn't surprise me when a study from a different source comes up with a totally different result. If I and 90% of the Pace advantage members were cops in my city, they would definitely be biased against blacks. Young black males in particular.

tucker6
07-13-2016, 09:49 PM
I don't care if he's black or Japanese. One of the many reasons police stops even get physical is because of the bias cops have against blacks. Physical confrontations are more likely to lead to an escalation where someone gets shot.Even Black cops have a bias against blacks and they should. Their life is on the line. I talk to four retired cops every single work day and they'd tell you of course they were biased against blacks because of previous bad experiences. This is so basic it's criminal that the liberal institution of higher learning wasted the time and money on this study. It wouldn't surprise me when a study from a different source comes up with a totally different result. If I and 90% of the Pace advantage members were cops in my city, they would definitely be biased against blacks. Young black males in particular.
Don't you care that your preconceived ideas on this issue are wrong? The fact that you are pissing into a strong wind makes your thought process look irrelevant.

Clocker
07-13-2016, 10:13 PM
Don't you care that your preconceived ideas on this issue are wrong? The fact that you are pissing into a strong wind makes your thought process look irrelevant.

Ideas don't matter. It doesn't matter how many white cops have biased feelings, but whether or not they act on them. The Harvard study indicates that they don't let their feelings interfere with their duties.

JustRalph
07-13-2016, 10:41 PM
I don't care if he's black or Japanese. One of the many reasons police stops even get physical is because of the bias cops have against blacks. Physical confrontations are more likely to lead to an escalation where someone gets shot.Even Black cops have a bias against blacks and they should. Their life is on the line. I talk to four retired cops every single work day and they'd tell you of course they were biased against blacks because of previous bad experiences. This is so basic it's criminal that the liberal institution of higher learning wasted the time and money on this study. It wouldn't surprise me when a study from a different source comes up with a totally different result. If I and 90% of the Pace advantage members were cops in my city, they would definitely be biased against blacks. Young black males in particular.

Say what? 🤔

Tom
07-14-2016, 08:06 AM
Originally Posted by ronsmac
I don't care if he's black or Japanese. One of the many reasons police stops even get physical is because of the bias cops have against blacks.

Data?

tucker6
07-14-2016, 09:26 AM
Data?
We don't need no stinkin data. :D

Greyfox
07-14-2016, 09:37 AM
It wouldn't surprise me when a study from a different source comes up with a totally different result.

That's a very good point. :ThmbUp:
One swallow doesn't make a summer.
Quite often research studies in the social sciences contradict one another.
But since you are the one refuting the Harvard Prof's study, the onus is on you to come up with a study that we can read that shows a different result.

Tom
07-14-2016, 10:13 AM
Just ask the Grand Mufti....he knows everything.
He says we need to sit downa d talak about racism.

BS.

We need to STFU about it.
Stop fanning the flames with the lies of the democrat party.

Clocker
07-14-2016, 10:32 AM
Just ask the Grand Mufti....he knows everything.
He says we need to sit downa d talak about racism.

BS.

We need to STFU about it.
Stop fanning the flames with the lies of the democrat party.

A black writer describes how Obama has made America more racially divided.

My view of America is that we are a place of great promise and opportunity, where someone like me, who is the grandchild of illiterate black Southern sharecroppers, can achieve success and reach the American dream. We are a place occupied by fair-minded, hard-working people whose culture and values have built a nation that is the envy of the world. I am proud to be a part of that culture.

Our Founders, while imperfect and a product of their times, were visionary heroes who made hard choices and compromises to give us the successful system we have today. Because Americans are good, we’ve worked hard over time to right the wrongs in our society that our Founding Fathers could not eliminate in their time. In summary, we are a fundamentally decent people blessed to live in a phenomenal land with a rich heritage.

But not so for President Obama. His view of our nation seems to be very different than mine and that of many other Americans. I believe that when President Obama thinks of America, more so than a place of hope or opportunity, he thinks of a place where racist white Christian fundamentalists came here from Europe, committed genocide against Native Americans, enslaved and segregated black people, denied women, gays, and other minorities their rights, and used capitalism and a rigged legal system to oppress poor people for centuries. He also believes this is still continuing today.

Given this view of America as an evil place in need of forceful justice for her sins, the president’s overarching goal has been to eliminate what he sees as the structural, institutionalized discrimination that defines America. He has done this by taking every opportunity to see disparities between groups as evidence of discrimination, then using all available resources to fight this perceived discrimination by going to war against the Americans he believes are responsible for it, who are almost always whites, men, police, and Christians.

http://thefederalist.com/2016/07/13/how-obama-left-us-more-racially-divided-than-ever/

johnhannibalsmith
07-15-2016, 12:43 PM
Hey, it's a start when the President can find a way to at least begin to talk about it and not worry about being called a racist radical jihadist.

President Obama said that the murder rate in the African-American community is “crazy” during a town hall on race relations in America titled "The President and the People: A National Conversation" today.

“It is absolutely true that the murder rate in the African-American community is way out of whack compared to the general population,” Obama said. “And both the victims and the perpetrators are black, young black men.

“The single greatest cause of death for young black men between the ages of 18 and 35 is homicide. And that’s crazy. That is crazy,” the president continued, responding to a question from Milwaukee Police Chief Edward Flynn.

He went on to make the point that police operating in communities with high crime rates have the added challenge of operating in a circumstance where “they are aware of the fact that there’s just a lot of guns washing over there.”

“And they don’t know what might happen, which means you’re going to be a little -- your adrenaline is going to be little bit higher,” he acknowledged. “It’s going to be tougher.”

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/obama-murder-rate-african-american-community-way-whack-004719323--abc-news-topstories.html