PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Golf

rastajenk
07-12-2016, 07:33 AM
I don't think it's going be the big deal it was supposed to be. Several reasons why, not the least the major defections. But every week during the summer there's some kind of international golf event, what with the age and gender categories that exist, that's already scheduled, and no shortage of biennial international events that already have a history. The association with the Olympics adds nothing for me.

The added fact of being on a brand-new course in a third-world hellhole takes something off the intended glow, too.

tucker6
07-12-2016, 07:48 AM
Many players have said the same thing. There are four majors and four world events plus either the Ryder Cup or Presidents Cup in any given year. What's so special about a zika infested, sewer smelling, crime ridden event? Besides, they can stay home and win a cool million. With that, you can mint 100 gold medals for around your neck.

And they don't drug test like the Olympics either. :D

Greyfox
07-12-2016, 09:26 AM
Olympic Gold Medals are prized.
Serena Williams has said that if her house were burning that's the one medal she'd race back in to grab.
It's unfortunate that the Zika virus has gained some foothold in Brazil.
The decisions of Speith, Day, Johnson, and McIlroy not to play in the event this year are sensible.
More of the women golfers should do the same, but they aren't.
Golf is an outdoor game played on grass.
Mosquitoes love grass.
One hundred and fifty World Health Doctors have signed a petition to have the Games cancelled, delayed, or moved to another venue.
The risk of spreading the Zika virus world wide is a distinct possibility with hundreds of thousands of visitors coming to Brazil.
I love the Olympic Games, but I wouldn't blame any young athlete from not competing in them this year, particularly if they haven't started their family yet.
Inflicting the virus on unborn children resulting in the development of microcephalic skulls for all of their lives is serious business.
Golf will be great in the Olympics down the road, but the absence of the Big 4 make it just another tournament this year.

cj
07-12-2016, 12:02 PM
I don't think this is going to last very long. I agree with the original poster, probably the last sport in the Olympics I'd watch.

Delta Cone
07-12-2016, 12:11 PM
I'm a die-hard golfer, play about 2-3 times a week and watch probably 20+ tournaments a year on TV...and I never gave one second of thought to Olympic golf. I simply don't care.

Nearly every week, the tournaments are filled with international players, plus we have the Ryder Cup and President's Cup.

I guess it was an attempt to "grow the game" but the whole thing was doomed from the start.

tucker6
07-12-2016, 12:43 PM
I'm a die-hard golfer, play about 2-3 times a week and watch probably 20+ tournaments a year on TV...and I never gave one second of thought to Olympic golf. I simply don't care.

Nearly every week, the tournaments are filled with international players, plus we have the Ryder Cup and President's Cup.

I guess it was an attempt to "grow the game" but the whole thing was doomed from the start.
Exactly. If Justin Rose wins the Olympics, is he now the most feared golfer on the planet like Usain Bolt in 100 meters and Michael Phelps in swimming? Of course not. We already know who the best is. Why risk health and security.

Jess Hawsen Arown
07-12-2016, 01:30 PM
I have little interest in any Olympic event that features professionals. It changed to professionals because of the Soviet cheats, but with the shrinking of the world and professional athletes competing against each other on a regular basis, it has become meaningless.

Bring back the amateurs.

rastajenk
08-05-2016, 08:33 PM
I think I saw Oompah Loompahs strutting about during the ceremonies.

Red Knave
08-05-2016, 09:02 PM
I think I saw Oompah Loompahs strutting about during the ceremonies.
I was thinking they were Trump clones?

Loompaland does have a strong, but small, team this year. :ThmbUp:

MutuelClerk
08-05-2016, 09:41 PM
I have little interest in any Olympic event that features professionals. It changed to professionals because of the Soviet cheats, but with the shrinking of the world and professional athletes competing against each other on a regular basis, it has become meaningless.

Bring back the amateurs.

Weren't most of our and any amateurs paid under the table? It's a romantic story but I don't believe they trained full time and worked part time at Burger King. I agree about little interest in the Olympics. Quite frankly I like the winter games more. The professional hockey players play with passion to win gold for their countries.

Advertising has ruined this more than anything. It seemed more special years ago when both games were four years apart. Now it's every two years and it's lost a lot of it's appeal to me. Between the IOC taking every bribe it can and all the whores at Nike, ESPN, etc no thanks. I'll fall asleep to the baseball pennant races thank you....

rastajenk
08-15-2016, 08:47 AM
I actually watched more of the golf than I thought I would. Of course it helped that two likable international studs took it to the final hole, but overall it was better than I expected. I think there will be fewer defections next time around.

I'm just having a hard time coming to grips with the idea that I might have been wrong. For once. :eek:

:cool:

tucker6
08-15-2016, 09:09 AM
I actually watched more of the golf than I thought I would. Of course it helped that two likable international studs took it to the final hole, but overall it was better than I expected. I think there will be fewer defections next time around.

I'm just having a hard time coming to grips with the idea that I might have been wrong. For once. :eek:

:cool:
They got lucky that the top 3 were household names. The rest of the leader board stank.

098poi
08-15-2016, 10:03 AM
I was very pleased that Matt Kuchar got bronze.

tucker6
08-15-2016, 12:14 PM
I was very pleased that Matt Kuchar got bronze.
Yes, he was genuinely thrilled to get bronze. He's a class act always. :ThmbUp:

v j stauffer
08-15-2016, 08:58 PM
I watch the Olympics to see competition amongst the world's elite at sports we rarely see.

Even the Basketball is cool because we see players seeking a common goal while the rest of year they play against each other.

The Golf will never draw special interest because it's exactly the same as what we can see the week before and the week after the Olympics.

Elite players will look for reasons not to participate. It will not be extra special to them. They can get that same rush from things the Ryder Cup and other events.

Greyfox
08-15-2016, 09:10 PM
The golf was exciting and drew huge crowds! :ThmbUp:

tucker6
08-16-2016, 05:25 AM
Exactly. If Justin Rose wins the Olympics, is he now the most feared golfer on the planet like Usain Bolt in 100 meters and Michael Phelps in swimming? Of course not. We already know who the best is. Why risk health and security.
I just realized what a Nostradamus I am. If only I'd channeled that energy into Powerball numbers. :D

NJ Stinks
08-16-2016, 11:44 AM
Elite players will look for reasons not to participate. It will not be extra special to them. They can get that same rush from things the Ryder Cup and other events.

Do we care less about the BC Turf Classic because the best turf horses from around the world (many have just run in the Arc) pass on the Turf Classic?

It turns out that the golfers who did show up really did want to win. It was extra special to them.

The link below contains a list of golfers who did show up. The top half of the Olympic field was formidable.

http://www.golftoday.co.uk/tours/olympic_games/rankings/current_2016_ranking.html

tucker6
08-16-2016, 11:53 AM
Do we care less about the BC Turf Classic because the best turf horses from around the world (many have just run in the Arc) pass on the Turf Classic?

It turns out that the golfers who did show up really did want to win. It was extra special to them.

The link below contains a list of golfers who did show up. The top half of the Olympic field was formidable.

http://www.golftoday.co.uk/tours/olympic_games/rankings/current_2016_ranking.html
I consider the Olympics field average for the PGA Tour. Not close to the majors or the WGCs, and even behind the Memorial, TPC, and FedEx cup events. I went to the Heritage Classic this year. Similar field quality and that's an average tournament. #1 Day was there, as was Kuchar and several other big names.

ronsmac
08-16-2016, 06:56 PM
Sweden did it again. This time beating Brazil on PKs. The Swedish goalie actually made two saves this time.