PDA

View Full Version : Donald Trump Just Can't Help Himself

barn32
07-11-2016, 10:39 PM
I couldn't have said this better myself.
[Wait a minute, maybe I did say it myself]

Donald Trump Just Can't Help Himself

During the primary season, and particularly once he was the presumptive nominee, there was talk of Trump 1.0 vs. Trump 2.0. The former is the unfettered, unpolished, impolitic version that was well-suited to the primaries and that overwhelmed his competition. The latter is the more refined, more cautious, more scripted version that has been crafted by Paul Manafort, et. al., and is a better choice for the general election. But, as the Washington Post's Chris Cillizza and Forbes' Stan Collender both observe, Trump seems capable of displaying v2.0 for only a short time before v1.0 shows up yet again.

Both analysts focus on the same pair of examples to make their point. At the end of May, the State Department released its scathing report on Hillary Clinton and her email server. Trump would have been best served to remain silent for days (or even weeks) and to let that story dominate the news cycle for as long as possible. Instead, less than 48 hours in, he made his impolitic remarks about Judge Gonzalo Curiel, and Clinton's email server was pushed off the front pages. This week, Clinton got blasted again for her email—this time, by FBI director James Comey—while the Trump campaign announced a shockingly high fundraising take of $51 million. As Cillizza observes, "Trump would have done well to, literally, talk about nothing other than those two stories for the rest of the week—and maybe even the rest of the month!" But instead, to use Collender's words, Trump turned gold into lead. That very same day, Trump sent out his now-infamous Star of David tweet and praised Saddam Hussein. All of a sudden his bad behavior, rather than Hillary's, was the top story.

Trump's dilemma is understandable, inasmuch as Trump v1.0 worked so well for him in primary season, and—indeed—has served him well for his entire career. But if he doesn't learn discipline quickly, well, nobody can overcome so many unforced errors, particularly when they are facing such poor odds. (Z)

Link (http://www.electoral-vote.com/)

Fager Fan
07-12-2016, 12:08 AM
Everyone called BS on both those things.

I think he's done quite well in the past week. He took the press to task over those two things and did so very convincingly. It was an arrow up week for him. This writer is just looking for something to criticize.

PhantomOnTour
07-12-2016, 12:49 AM
Here's something I think the left and right can agree on...
It's going to be an UGLY 4 months :)

barn32
07-12-2016, 04:06 AM
I think he's done quite well in the past week. That's because you're a big fan. You're part of the choir. He doesn't need to win you over. He needs to draw votes from the undecided, on the fence Republicans, democrats turned off by Clinton and the Never Trump crowd. He needs to turn these people around. He took the press to task over those two things and did so very convincingly. It was an arrow up week for him. This writer is just looking for something to criticize.Not in my opinion. I wholeheartedly agree with the statement that he turned gold into lead.

All the guy needs to do is to be contrite, humble and apologetic. Ignore Clinton for a while and let the press take care of her. Talk about his ideas and specifics. The timing is perfect. There is revolution in the air. Seize the moment. Become a statesman. A president.

But for some unexplainable reason he just can't do that.

woodtoo
07-12-2016, 04:46 AM
who left the barn door open again . :rolleyes:

formula_2002
07-12-2016, 06:48 AM
Trump 1.0
is this his prediction or his wish.

"Washington (CNN) — Donald Trump on Monday warned the violence of last week "might be just the beginning for this summer," during an interview addressing recent tensions across the country."

One of his key words, "might"
his key phrases " some people say", "I've been told".

as far as going from 1.0 to 2.0, is like a bride who marries a drunk with the conviction he will sober up after they are married.

rastajenk
07-12-2016, 06:51 AM
Ignore Clinton for a while and let the press take care of her.
That's the problem: the press will take care of her. :p

lamboguy
07-12-2016, 06:53 AM
Hillary Clinton must think that laws are only for poor people. if elected she could be worse that Bush or Obama.

rastajenk
07-12-2016, 07:00 AM
I think Nixon is a better comparison. Everything that is known about her volatile mix of personality, ambition, and general temperament exceeds the standards set by Nixon, with a little LBJ tossed in for good measure.

lamboguy
07-12-2016, 07:05 AM
good points there. i guess i have a lapse of memory.

barn32
07-12-2016, 11:55 AM
Trump can still win, obviously, there are four months left, but I guess I must be one of the few who thinks that he is blowing it.

JustRalph
07-12-2016, 12:38 PM
Looks like trump won't be on the ballot.

The RNC is going to take it away from him and allow Hillary to waltz into the Whitehouse. Cleveland is going to be a nightmare

They spent 250k to get a Federal judge to allow the delegates to unbind yesterday. A Virginia case.

Tom
07-12-2016, 12:55 PM
Another fix.
It is a party convention and primary, and THEIR rules should prevail.
Just another case of Bananica making up rules as they go along.
The 4th Reich in all its glory.

Clocker
07-12-2016, 01:04 PM
It is a party convention and primary, and THEIR rules should prevail.

That's what the judge ruled. Virginia has a state law requiring primaries to be winner take all. The GOP rules are that for primaries held before a certain date, which Virginia's was, delegates are proportionally allocated to candidates based on each one's share of the vote.

The judge ruled that freedom of speech and freedom of association required that the party rules trumped the state law. The ruling has no impact on GOP rules binding or unbinding delegates.

http://hotair.com/archives/2016/07/11/oh-my-federal-judge-rules-virginia-delegates-arent-bound-by-state-law-requiring-them-to-vote-for-trump/ (http://hotair.com/archives/2016/07/11/oh-my-federal-judge-rules-virginia-delegates-arent-bound-by-state-law-requiring-them-to-vote-for-trump/)

Fager Fan
07-12-2016, 01:04 PM
Looks like trump won't be on the ballot.

The RNC is going to take it away from him and allow Hillary to waltz into the Whitehouse. Cleveland is going to be a nightmare

They spent 250k to get a Federal judge to allow the delegates to unbind yesterday. A Virginia case.

He'll be on the ballot.

Jess Hawsen Arown
07-12-2016, 01:44 PM
The Republican establishment wants Trump to lose as much as the Democrats do.

He has made many regrettable statements, but I believe when push comes to shove, voters will eschew Crooked Hillary for a non-politician who puts America before politics.