PDA

View Full Version : Nyquist a go for the Haskell

biggestal99
07-11-2016, 01:54 PM
http://www.app.com/story/sports/horses/2016/07/11/monmouth-park-nyquist-haskell/86943902/

Good for Monmouth.

Allan

MonmouthParkJoe
07-13-2016, 06:28 PM
Place will be rocking like it always is. I know it is a $1 million race, but year after year they get the best in the game in terms of 3YOs. I wish I could go, but I couldn't pick a better alternative than being at the spa all summer.

Zaf
07-14-2016, 12:18 AM
:cool: Shaping up to be a great race :jump:

Z

castaway01
07-14-2016, 06:43 PM
Place will be rocking like it always is. I know it is a $1 million race, but year after year they get the best in the game in terms of 3YOs. I wish I could go, but I couldn't pick a better alternative than being at the spa all summer.

I almost posted complaining it would be too crowded, but then I realized the days with big, excited crowds are fun sometimes. Let's root for nice weather and not 95 and humid.

MonmouthParkJoe
07-14-2016, 08:23 PM
I almost posted complaining it would be too crowded, but then I realized the days with big, excited crowds are fun sometimes. Let's root for nice weather and not 95 and humid.

I am with you 100%

Its a double edged sword. The track needs the big days to survive, as someone that is there all the time, I hate the crowds. I am sure I can name 100 reasons why.

On the flip side, for one day a year in jersey, the Haskell is the place to be. The energy from the crowd and anticipation can be intoxicating, and I love it. It always draws a crowd, but will not even be close to last year with AP. I hope the weather is gorgeous as well. We are still a few weeks out, but this humidity is killing me.

Looks like American Freedom for Baffert is going. We all know how many times he has won this thing.

onefast99
07-15-2016, 12:00 PM
They are trying to get exaggerator hopefully they can but it looks as if the Travers will have him.

cj
07-15-2016, 12:57 PM
They are trying to get exaggerator hopefully they can but it looks as if the Travers will have him.

Horses run in both those races often.

bobphilo
07-15-2016, 01:08 PM

True. Horses typically prep for the the Travers in either the Haskell or the Jim Dandy, with the Haskell being the preferred prep.

SuperPickle
07-15-2016, 06:01 PM
True. Horses typically prep for the the Travers in either the Haskell or the Jim Dandy, with the Haskell being the preferred prep.

Yes and no....

The Jim Dandy is historically a much better Travers prep. Look at all the Baffert horses who won the Haskell but didn't win the Travers.

Pre-slots the Haskell purses was bigger which attracted horses. Now I believe The Jim Dandy is $750K and the Travers and Haskell are a million.

Here's a real reason the Haskell draws. NYRA has a policy of not paying appearance fees. Monmouth does. NYRA will juice a purse like they did for Songbird. But they won't give owners and trainers checks for showing up. Monmouth will. I'm fairly certain Redham and O'Neil will split something like $50K or $100K for showing up. That moves the needle.

andtheyreoff
07-15-2016, 06:12 PM

Exaggerator and Creator have already been confirmed for the Jim Dandy.

Wickel
07-16-2016, 01:04 PM
While Preakness winner Exaggerator and Belmont Stakes winner Creator appear headed for the $600,000 Jim Dandy Stakes at Saratoga on July 30, Gun Runner, third in the Kentucky Derby and the winner of the Grade 3 Matt Winn Stakes at Churchill Downs in his last start, is expected to run, according to trainer Steve Asmussen, who also trains Exaggerator.

From article posted above: Please tell this is an error and they meant Creator.

upthecreek
07-16-2016, 03:36 PM
http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/jim-dandy-next-for-creator-exaggerator/