PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain this Win 4 payout ?

trying2win
07-08-2004, 05:59 PM
On Monday, July 5/04 at Calder on races 4 through 7, they offered the WIN 4 in the Canadian parimutuel pool. Okay, if you check the results at the RACING CHANNEL, DRF, EQUIBASE, or many other places, you'll notice that the race 4 and 5 winners were longshots, race 6 was a second favorite, and finally the race 7 winner was also a longshot.

No one had a winning ticket on the WIN 4 in the Canadian paritmutuel pool in the above scenario. Okay, so they paid 3 out of 4. A $1.00 ticket paid $425.15. I know someone who had 3 out of the 4 winners on this WIN 4 on a $1.00 ticket, and had expected to get paid $425.15. Instead, they got paid $850.30. What I don't get, is there are only four possible winning combinations when they pay 3 out of 4 in this case:

#8 - #5 - #3 - with any #

...or #8 - #5 - with any # - #2

...or #8 - with any # - #3 - #2

...or any # - #5 -#3 - #2.

This person had the third set of the above winning 3 out of 4 winning combinations, on a $1 WIN 4 ticket. How do you explain the double payout? I thought, that if you held any of the 3 out of 4 winning combinations that you would only get $425.15 per $1.00 ticket?

Thanks for any help you can give me in explaining this situation?

T2W

"Waste your money and you're only out of money, but waste your time and you've lost a part of your life." -- Michael Leboeuf

InsideThePylons-MW
07-08-2004, 06:10 PM
He had 2 horses in the race he missed therefore doubling the payoff.

Jeff P
07-08-2004, 06:17 PM
I can think of two possible reasons your friend was paid $850.30

1. The ticket actually had two separate combinations containing 3 of 4.

2. It was a $2.00 ticket.

trying2win
07-08-2004, 06:44 PM
INSIDE THE PYLONS,

I had to read your explanation several times before the light went on! You're right. I couldn't see the "trees for the forest", so to speak. I just checked the combinations again that this person had. In race 5, where they missed the original winning number on their WIN 4 ticket, they had numbers 9 and 11. Thus the answer to this mystery. Thank you for your explanation.

JEFF,

Thanks for your reply too.

I wonder if anyone else has ever received an unexpected bonus like this. I know I don't ever recall getting anything like it.

Regards,

T2W

"Women prefer men who have something tender about them, especially the legal kind." -- Kay Ingram

JackS
07-08-2004, 07:17 PM
I've seen simular in dog racing which my buddy plays all the time. An example might be 2,4/all/2, 4 in a trifecta in which no one has all 3 dogs so the payout goes to two. In this case, the 2 and 4 are the first and second place winners and anything in the third posisition. The problem with this ticket, there is nothing in the third posistion since the 2,4 finished 1,2. The ticket is worth zero.

schweitz
07-08-2004, 08:23 PM
[i]Originally posted by trying2win

I wonder if anyone else has ever received an unexpected bonus like this. I know I don't ever recall getting anything like it.

It happens every time that there is a payoff on 3 winners out of 4 on a Pick-4---unless it is a carryover Pick-4.