PDA

View Full Version : Belmont: July 9, 2016

Teach
07-09-2016, 11:33 AM
Showers are expected in the New York City area by around 4 p.m. A word to the wise is sufficient.

Race One:

Manny Franco from Carolina, Puerto Rico (just outside San Juan) has been like a muy afilado (two winners on yesterday’s card). I’m taking a shot in this MSW first-time starters’ sprint that Senor Franco can boot home the :9: , Ruckus. My only concern is that this Ralph Nicks-trained, Midnight Lute-bred colt might take a right turn out of the gate, run for daylight (to borrow a football term) and head right toward the Belmont Park Road. If he doesn’t… If there’s any moisture on the Belmont Park oval, all the better. There’s solid wet-track lineage, especially on the dam’s side, e.g., Forestry. If there is a wet-track bias (hard to tell in the first race), it would tend favor the outside. To bolster my inclinations about this colt, he recently “drilled” four panels in an eye-popping :47.2, breezing. Oh, trainer Nicks does very well with horses making their maiden-special debut. Others: :1a: , :6: , :5:

Race Two:

:10: Feeling Bossy has won two-straight on the lawn. This Storm Cat-bred bay filly does move up off her last win. She does, however, retain the services of Johnny V (he was in the irons for her last two wins). Trainer Jimmy Jerkens does very well both with horses entered in allowance races and with horses who have won their last race. This Courageous Cat-bred turned in a solid, recent 5-panel work. Others: :7: , :11: , :12:

Race Three:

In this 7-panels allowance, I’m going with :2: Adulator. This A.P. Indy-bred bay colt stumbled leaving the gate in his last (“…bit of an awkward start for Adulator…” Track announcer Larry Collmus). In fact, this colt went to his knees leaving the gate and started out last down the backstretch. Well, Junior Alvarado reprises the ride for trainer Jimmy Jerkens. A chance to make amends for his even-money, beaten-favorite, fourth-place finish. Junior will have to angle his charge to the outside; yet a trouble-free trip and an additional half-panel should help. Trainer Jerkens is having an excellent meet; he does particularly well with beaten favorites and horses making starts in allowance races. A recent “bullet” work signals readiness. Others: :3: , :7: , :5:

Race Four:

In this MSW marathon turf race, :7: Revved Up just missed in a similar race almost two months ago. The slightest of improvements would put this Candy Ride-bred bay colt in the winner’s circle. Jose Ortiz reprises the ride for trainer “Shug” McGaughey III. Trainer McGaughey does reasonably well with horses that have been away from the races for prolonged periods of time. Others: :4: , :3: , :9:

Race Five:

An OC, seven panels on the lawn. :9: Disco Partner just missed in the Grade III Jaipur about one month ago. This aptly named Disco Rico-bred grey colt now stretches out one panel off his last effort. That should help. This colt is now dropping in with the kind he should be able to handle. Junior Alvarado is in the irons for trainer Jim Ryerson. Admittedly, trainer Ryerson is having less than a stellar Belmont meet; yet a win here would certainly perk matters up. This colt has hit the tote in every one of his turf tries. Others: :4: , :7: , :10:

Race Six:

In the Grade III Victory Ride at six and one-half furlongs, my pick is :9: Coppa. Trainer Phil D’Amato ships this Yesbyjimminy-bred filly cross-country to compete in “The Big Apple”. Jockey Joe Talamo, he’s been aboard this filly in her two winning efforts, also comes east. This Yes It’s True-bred's last win would have been only a few ticks off the Belmont track record for 6 and ½ panels. The filly was blazing quarter-horse fractions in her last. Yet, she will get tested for class in her “coming-out party” for a graded stakes. She’s also been away from the races for more than a month and a-half. Yet, a recent impressive work at Santa Anita signals that the filly should remain at the top of her game if she takes to the Belmont oval. Others: :8: , :7: , :3:

Race Seven:

In the Grade III Dwyer, :6: Economic Model is my choice. I might add: any moisture on the racetrack would be appreciated. In his last, this A.P. Indy-bred bay colt was a few ticks off the track record set by Transparent two years ago for one mile and a ‘teenth race. Chad Brown – he’s having an excellent meet – is the horse’s conditioner. This Quiet American-bred has won three out of his five pari-mutuel starts. Irad Ortiz, Jr. reprises the ride. Others: :4: , :5: , :8:

Race Eight:

In the Belmont Derby, a marathon Grade I turf route, I’m tryin' for an upset, :12: Call Provision. This Lemon Drop Kid-bred gelding was a game third in the Grade III Pennine Ridge at Belmont a little over a month ago. Any slight improvement… This Chad Brown trainee has been third and first in his only two pari-mutuel route tries. This Run In-bred 3 year-old should appreciate the added distance of ground (or should I say grass). John Velazquez gets the call. Others: :13: , :6: , :7:

Race Nine:

In the Grade II Suburban, I like :4: Eagle. I believe this Candy Ride-bred chestnut colt has a solid chance of getting his picture taken in the winner’s circle. This 4 year-old ships in from Churchill Downs for trainer Neil Howard. This Mineshaft-bred colt has been most competitive in recent races; he’s either won or finished second in all three of his graded stakes races. Brian Hernandez is in the irons. Others: :5: , :2: , :3:

Race Ten:

In the Grade I Belmont Oaks Invitational (the Inner Turf Course may be yielding at this point), I like :12: Catch A Glimpse. This City Zip-bred chestnut filly is perfect 7-for-7 on the lawn. Most recently, she won the Grade III Penn Mile. Florent Geroux reprises the ride for trainer Mark Casse. Trainer Casse does particularly well with winners of their last race. Others: :7: , :4: . :6:

Race Eleven:

In the finale, the Grade III Belmont Sprint Championship, I’m going with a perceived longshot, :8: Ready for Rye. This City Zip-bred gelding goes turf-to-dirt, an angle I particularly like. I also like the fact that Javier Castellano retains the ride. The gelding’s conditioner is Tom Albertrani. Frankly, trainer Albertrani is not having a stellar meet; yet he does well with horses going from turf to dirt. A recent sharp work appears to signal readiness. Others: :9: , :2: , :1: