PDA

View Full Version : App?

Actor
07-08-2016, 03:09 PM
What's the difference, if any, between an "app" and a "program"?

if I write a handicapping program is it an app?

barn32
07-08-2016, 03:47 PM

Apps are programs that are written for phones.

Dave Schwartz
07-08-2016, 05:13 PM
Programmers have been calling them "applications" or "apps" for decades.

They are the same, but as Barn said, in today's vernacular, "apps" usually apply to programs for mobile devices.

JustRalph
07-08-2016, 05:43 PM
Technically they are also sandboxed, I think ?

Tape Reader
07-08-2016, 09:18 PM
Technically they are also sandboxed, I think ?

Please, what is “sandboxed?”

Dave Schwartz
07-09-2016, 01:16 AM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandbox_(software_development)

A sandbox is a testing environment that isolates untested code changes and outright experimentation from the production environment or repository, in the context of software development including Web development and revision control. Sandboxing protects "live" servers and their data, vetted source code distributions, and other collections of code, data and/or content...

Longshot6977
07-09-2016, 12:21 PM

This may help you further to understand the difference.

https://wmtang.org/2014/09/22/what-is-the-difference-between-an-app-and-a-program/

JustRalph
07-09-2016, 02:27 PM
Please, what is “sandboxed?”

In a broader sense "sandboxed" the term has evolved to mean that an "app" doesn't share any memory range with other programs or apps. Most mobile software runs separate from the other apps, no memory swapping etc.

This makes an app less likely to crash or cause another program to malfunction etc. they don't step on each other. Therein it's a self contained "app" as opposed to a program that uses the operating system to swap memory or manage memory etc

When I have talked to developers, this is something we talk about and they brag on when wanting you to hire them to write an app.

Dave Schwartz
07-09-2016, 04:32 PM
Ralph,

So if it runs in its own space and does not allow swap outs, and a bunch of other apps do the same, what happens when the system runs out of resources?

Tape Reader
07-09-2016, 06:13 PM
In a broader sense "sandboxed" the term has evolved to mean that an "app" doesn't share any memory range with other programs or apps. Most mobile software runs separate from the other apps, no memory swapping etc.

This makes an app less likely to crash or cause another program to malfunction etc. they don't step on each other. Therein it's a self contained "app" as opposed to a program that uses the operating system to swap memory or manage memory etc

When I have talked to developers, this is something we talk about and they brag on when wanting you to hire them to write an app.

Thank you very much for that answer. And, very happy to see that you are back. Always liked your contributions.

JustRalph
07-09-2016, 09:11 PM
Ralph,

So if it runs in its own space and does not allow swap outs, and a bunch of other apps do the same, what happens when the system runs out of resources?

I love it when you ask questions and you already know the answer :lol:

In the IOS Apple environment they say that you would have to run way too many apps to get there

My mother in law never closes apps on her iPad. She calls me with about 25 apps open and wants to know why her iPad is running so slow or apps are "disappearing". A simple restart fixes it.