PDA

View Full Version : Reasons for scratches

Aner
07-08-2016, 02:16 PM
In today's 4th race at Gulfstream, the #1 horse (Ross's Loss) is scratched. The reason given is "Gate". Don't recall seeing this reason before. Can one scratch solely due to an unfavorable gate position? Does it only pertain to first time starters? Is there a penalty for scratching?

the little guy
07-08-2016, 02:27 PM
In today's 4th race at Gulfstream, the #1 horse (Ross's Loss) is scratched. The reason given is "Gate". Don't recall seeing this reason before. Can one scratch solely due to an unfavorable gate position? Does it only pertain to first time starters? Is there a penalty for scratching?

Since he's a 2YO firster, I would assume he doesn't have his gate card.

Saratoga_Mike
07-08-2016, 02:27 PM
No gate card would be my guess, but that would be odd given the two solid works out of the gate. Maybe he's impossible to load, so no gate card?

johnhannibalsmith
07-08-2016, 02:33 PM
No gate card would be my guess, but that would be odd given the two solid works out of the gate. Maybe he's impossible to load, so no gate card?

I kinda figured that he was okayed after the 48 change gate work and then came back for that most recent and totally blew it in there and made the list or something. Surprised if it went that way that it didn't get picked up when entered two days later, but it happens and holiday weekend stuff might have been a factor. Still weird to see it listed as 'gate' instead of 'stewards' and am really curious now.

Pensacola Pete
07-08-2016, 03:38 PM
What likely happened is that after receiving the gate card and entering the horse into the race, the trainer brought the horse out for another workout or another session with the gate, the horse was a problem again, and the starter revoked the gate card.

MonmouthParkJoe
07-08-2016, 05:42 PM
Agree with the gate card. Must have been some miscommunication in the racing office and wasnt put on the list in Incompass per the starter.

yesman3000
07-08-2016, 11:51 PM
it might be ownership problems !!!