PDA

View Full Version : Martin Zweig method

highnote
07-07-2016, 07:18 PM
FYI...

My colleague, Bill Ziemba, and I co-authored an article about Martin Zweig's stock market system. It was published by Taylor and Francis in their journal "Quantitative Finance Letters". The paper is included as a part of a series on stock market bubble predictions.

You can download it for free from this link:

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/21649502.2015.1165917

I have been a big fan of Martin Zweig's book, "Winning on Wall Street" and use his ideas to time the market. I update the "Zweig" system daily in order to keep in touch with the market.

I shared my Zweig forecasts with Dr. Z and he suggested we co-write a paper about it.

Some of you might be familiar with the book, "Dr. Z's Beat the Racetrack" written by William T. Ziemba, Ph.D. Dr. Z is a professor emeritus at University of British Columbia. He is an expert on stock market anomalies.

Marty Zweig published "Winning on Wall Street" in 1986. Dr. Z was interested to see if the Zweig system held up in this low interest rate environment.

The conclusion? It has.

Feedback appreciated.

Tape Reader
07-07-2016, 07:40 PM
FYI...

My colleague, Bill Ziemba, and I co-authored an article about Martin Zweig's stock market system. It was published by Taylor and Francis in their journal "Quantitative Finance Letters". The paper is included as a part of a series on stock market bubble predictions.

You can download it for free from this link:

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/21649502.2015.1165917

I have been a big fan of Martin Zweig's book, "Winning on Wall Street" and use his ideas to time the market. I update the "Zweig" system daily in order to keep in touch with the market.

I shared my Zweig forecasts with Dr. Z and he suggested we co-write a paper about it.

Some of you might be familiar with the book, "Dr. Z's Beat the Racetrack" written by William T. Ziemba, Ph.D. Dr. Z is a professor emeritus at University of British Columbia. He is an expert on stock market anomalies.

Marty Zweig published "Winning on Wall Street" in 1986. Dr. Z was interested to see if the Zweig system held up in this low interest rate environment.

The conclusion? It has.

Feedback appreciated.

This is not a comment on the book, just a remembrance of the Late Marty Zweig. A fellow technician that I greatly admired.

Before he was a panelist on Wall Street week, Marty wrote an excellent market letter. He once wrote: “Eee gads! the panel on Wall Street Week are all bullish, now must be the time to sell”.

Then, Marty became one of them.

RIP, Marty Zweig a great technician.

barn32
07-07-2016, 08:25 PM
Marty Zweig, "don't fight the fed."

I really liked his book, and I used to watch him on Wall Street Week.

I was watching the night he said the market would crash (1987).

Sure enough.

highnote
07-07-2016, 08:38 PM
I was watching the night he said the market would crash (1987).

We wrote about his appearance that night in our paper. He was white as a ghost!

barn32
07-07-2016, 09:01 PM
We wrote about his appearance that night in our paper. He was white as a ghost!I just read your paper. Quite interesting. I assume that you are using the Russell 2000 in place of the Value Line Index, but I could be mistaken.

Re: WSW When Rukeyser asked him what he thought would happen (I believe on Monday), Zweig actually used the word "crash."

I remember it vividly.

(Not exactly as I remembered it, but close. Around the 6:30 mark.)2MyToTwag34

[Ahhh, now I remember the name of the book I was going to ask you about. It was called the Donahue Signal, and he also used interest rates to time the market. My memory is vague, but I think it was a much simpler system and I believe he used mutual funds (not sure), and I've always wondered if his method was still effective.]

highnote
07-07-2016, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the link. I have seen it, but a long time ago. It was good to see it again and reminded me what a great student of the market Zweig was.

Sometime in the 1980's Warren Buffett became very bullish and said there was going to be a huge bull market.

Anybody remember when Buffett said that?

Secondbest
07-07-2016, 09:45 PM
I was a big fan of Marty Zweig. Another saying of his "the trend is your friend".

Tape Reader
07-07-2016, 10:23 PM
Marty Zweig, "don't fight the fed."

I often think about that comment today “Don’t fight the Fed.” The Fed wants inflation; sooner or later they will get it, in spades.

Buy gold!

whodoyoulike
07-07-2016, 10:30 PM
Haven't read your paper. But, I'm more interested in your colleague.

Wasn't he working with Benter and/or Woods back in the '80's?

Did he ever apply Bayes inference to handicapping horses?

You should ask him to participate on this forum if he's still interested in horse racing.

highnote
07-07-2016, 11:19 PM
Haven't read your paper. But, I'm more interested in your colleague.

Wasn't he working with Benter and/or Woods back in the '80's?

Did he ever apply Bayes inference to handicapping horses?

You should ask him to participate on this forum if he's still interested in horse racing.

Dr. Z did some consulting with benter and woods back in the 80s. I believe it was Dr. Z who got Benter to publish a paper about the HK Betting Syndicate.

I don't know what all Dr. Z has done with handicapping. He has written a lot of papers on the subject and several books on handicapping.

I don't know if writing on this forum is his cup of tea, but I can ask him.

highnote
07-07-2016, 11:21 PM
I often think about that comment today “Don’t fight the Fed.” The Fed wants inflation; sooner or later they will get it, in spades.

Buy gold!

Agree! I bought Hecla Mining (HL) last December at $1.50. It is now pushing $6.00. My big mistake was not buying a lot more shares!

I knew it was cheap at $1.50. The company has been around for 100 years!!