PDA

View Full Version : Farrier story

comet52
07-04-2016, 03:48 PM
Interesting article:

http://www.startribune.com/canterbury-park-farriers-have-tall-task-no-foot-no-horse/385388891/

thespaah
07-04-2016, 04:45 PM
When I was a caretaker on the harness side, I took my horses to the farrier myself.
I would watch the farrier do his work and ask questions about foot care and anatomy. This particular farrier was a very friendly guy and seemed eager to answer my questions. He also offered up a good bit of knowledge that helped me help my boss.
It looked like a tough job. Bent over, horses foot resting on his thigh, the farrier would do his thing. Trimming, filing down, replacing shoes. The nailing on of the shoe was done with such precision. Not once did I see one of my horses flinch, indicating pain.
After a few times the farrier told me that in my spare time around the barn, I could come and watch and learn. It was beneficial to me as a groom, so I did just that.

CryingForTheHorses
07-04-2016, 05:18 PM
A great story for 1 of the many wonderful blacksmiths we have around the country..Its very hard to find a good one that is loyal to you.The blacksmith I use,Has been shoeing my horses for 20 yrs.

Donttellmeshowme
07-04-2016, 06:30 PM
A great story for 1 of the many wonderful blacksmiths we have around the country..Its very hard to find a good one that is loyal to you.The blacksmith I use,Has been shoeing my horses for 20 yrs.

Tom are you still training ?

CryingForTheHorses
07-04-2016, 08:34 PM
Tom are you still training ?

My wife Lisa and I have our own horse only..Sadly,I can run faster then her.. :lol: She is listed under another trainer,I can't afford to pay the 130.00 a week for Workmans comp.Crazy to have to do that for 1 horse.

HalvOnHorseracing
07-04-2016, 08:45 PM
An interesting piece on "Jimmy the Shoer" a farrier at Santa Anita.

http://halveyonhorseracing.com/?p=1392

chadk66
07-04-2016, 08:52 PM
Scott Rhone was the ring bearer in our wedding. He is an outstanding young man.

Donttellmeshowme
07-04-2016, 09:10 PM
My wife Lisa and I have our own horse only..Sadly,I can run faster then her.. :lol: She is listed under another trainer,I can't afford to pay the 130.00 a week for Workmans comp.Crazy to have to do that for 1 horse.

Yea hadnt seen you run anything lately didnt know if you had retired or what? yea $130 a week is freakin crazy.

pele polo
07-04-2016, 10:01 PM
Admiral trade that I tried myself. Went to farrier school shortly after high school and worked for a guy for a year before going out on my own. That was years ago and I've since left it but it's a decent trade.