PDA

View Full Version : What type of turf/grass is on a track?

ilzho
07-01-2016, 10:26 AM
Hello:

What kind of grass does turf courses/tracks consist of?
I realize some are synthetic, but I am curious to know what kind of real grass do tracks use?

Thanks.

Augenj
07-01-2016, 10:35 AM
Hello:

I realize some are synthetic, but I am curious to know what kind of real grass do tracks use?

Thanks.
Santa Anita just installed a new turf course that's described in this link.
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/212901/santa-anita-installs-new-turf-course?source=rss

elhelmete
07-01-2016, 10:55 AM
Hello:

Thanks.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

green80
07-01-2016, 03:13 PM
depends on what part of the country you are in.

thespaah
07-14-2016, 11:53 PM
In warmer climates, there are several types or varieties of bermudagrass used.
These turf types are resilient in hot and humid conditions. They grow in sandy soil and require a moderate amount of watering/rainfall.
The cons....These grasses do not root very deeply into the soil and are subject to getting damaged from heavy traffic. If you have seen the condition of the turf course at Gulfstream, you'd get the picture.
In northern climate zones, most turf courses are a mixture of fescues and Kentucky Bluegrass.
Much of the turf is Kentucky 31 Fescue which is a hearty, deep rooting turf, which stands up to traffic and is moderately drought tolerant. Maintenance issues stem from the fact that K-31 tends to grow in clumps. So recovering areas tend to be bumpy and inconsistent.

chadk66
07-15-2016, 09:13 AM
it varies region to region. I want to see some of this synthetic

Tom
07-15-2016, 09:51 AM
Belmont has Sherwin Williams.

Racetrack Playa
07-15-2016, 11:14 AM
Ide stay away from that synthetic grass. :ThmbDown:
How is that stuff even legal?

PhantomOnTour
07-15-2016, 11:49 AM
Not sure which is more bizarre...people chasing imaginary Pokemon characters all over town, or this thread.
Both are equally amusing though

SuperPickle
07-15-2016, 06:12 PM
There's a rumor that this time of year several tracks are using asphalt painted green given the times at places like Belmont and Laurel.

thespaah
07-15-2016, 07:38 PM
it varies region to region. I want to see some of this synthetic
Such as field turf?....Interesting idea.
The thing is, can a product similar to field turf be developed? One that can take the pounding of 1200 pound animals wearing steel shoes....

thespaah
07-15-2016, 07:39 PM
I fail to see the humor in these snarky comments.

nearco
07-17-2016, 12:31 AM
Such as field turf?....Interesting idea.
The thing is, can a product similar to field turf be developed? One that can take the pounding of 1200 pound animals wearing steel shoes....

The synthetic "grass" used on sportsfields could never be used for racing as it has no "cut" to it. Horse's hooves need to be able to sink into the soil under the grass.

thespaah
07-17-2016, 12:51 AM
The synthetic "grass" used on sportsfields could never be used for racing as it has no "cut" to it. Horse's hooves need to be able to sink into the soil under the grass.
Field turf has a thick cushion of synthetic material that has a soil like consistency.
I'm with you though respective of the use of synthetic turf. I do not believe a synthetic turf exists for a horse racing application.