PDA

View Full Version : Larry Lederman calling Delaware

molson721
06-27-2016, 03:27 PM
He's still around after his cancer diagnosis several years back. Does anybody know if the cancer is in remission? He is not everybody's type by I enjoy his humor calling a race and smiled when I heard he was still with us.

Peter Berry
06-27-2016, 05:21 PM
He's still around after his cancer diagnosis several years back. Does anybody know if the cancer is in remission? He is not everybody's type by I enjoy his humor calling a race and smiled when I heard he was still with us.
One of the all-time greats. A true legend.

lamboguy
06-27-2016, 07:27 PM
He's still around after his cancer diagnosis several years back. Does anybody know if the cancer is in remission? He is not everybody's type by I enjoy his humor calling a race and smiled when I heard he was still with us.he's amazing fighting the fight. i called him a few years ago when my friends kid was in the battle and he called every night and got the poor kid through his treatments. i couldn't be more thankful for what he did. he had the kid laughing his ass off instead of thinking about his troubles. it really doesn't get any better than LL. a great human.

SuperPickle
06-27-2016, 07:47 PM
My other question is where is John Curran?

I'm just curious because I thought he was one of those guys like Terry Wallace who called every race, every meet.

mannyberrios
06-28-2016, 05:10 PM
God bless Larry

molson721
06-28-2016, 10:52 PM
he's amazing fighting the fight. i called him a few years ago when my friends kid was in the battle and he called every night and got the poor kid through his treatments. i couldn't be more thankful for what he did. he had the kid laughing his ass off instead of thinking about his troubles. it really doesn't get any better than LL. a great human.
You said you called him so can you please give us an update or have Larry post here and give an update on his condition because I am sure others have wondered about his condition since he told us about his cancer several years back. I was so happy to hear him calling the Delaware races and to know he is still with us and I hope he will be with us for so much longer.

MonmouthParkJoe
06-29-2016, 05:42 AM
Agreed. Larry is one of my favs, hope he is doing well

bello
06-29-2016, 09:18 AM
Was he a guest announcer or is he the regular announcer?

Larry, you are the greatest

EMD4ME
06-29-2016, 09:38 AM
Agreed. Larry is one of my favs, hope he is doing well

Agreed. Love his pizzazz! So witty in his calls too! Miss those Garden state calls

charm city whizz
06-29-2016, 12:00 PM
Larry is the best

Told the story here before had the pleasure of meeting Larry at Atlantic city racecourse Prob in 2012 it was right around when he was diagnosed remember him telling me in the announcers booth about his condition and how at the time thinking how it was possible to be so funny and upbeat with having his terrible diagnosis....

remember vividly the day I was diagnosed with Cancer in March i thought back to that day in the booth with Larry how positive he was facing one of lifes most gruesome diagnoses....

really hoping he is the announced there for the summer would love to take a trip up there to see him

charm city whizz
06-29-2016, 12:01 PM
Agreed. Love his pizzazz! So witty in his calls too! Miss those Garden state calls

There a few of his GSP1 and GS calls on YouTube they are all classics

EMD4ME
06-29-2016, 12:55 PM
There a few of his GSP1 and GS calls on YouTube they are all classics

I am not ashamed to admit that I watch them when bored lol

SandyW
06-29-2016, 01:14 PM
Great race caller, and even greater person. God bless and keep him healthy.

castaway01
06-29-2016, 01:17 PM
You said you called him so can you please give us an update or have Larry post here and give an update on his condition because I am sure others have wondered about his condition since he told us about his cancer several years back. I was so happy to hear him calling the Delaware races and to know he is still with us and I hope he will be with us for so much longer.

Last update I saw was last fall. At that time the tumor was still there and Larry was still receiving periodic treatment.

As others have said, aside from being very talented he's a great guy and it was nice to hear him back behind the mic for a few days.

lamboguy
06-29-2016, 01:43 PM
You said you called him so can you please give us an update or have Larry post here and give an update on his condition because I am sure others have wondered about his condition since he told us about his cancer several years back. I was so happy to hear him calling the Delaware races and to know he is still with us and I hope he will be with us for so much longer.i haven't spoken to him in about 6 months, but he was doing good back then. he has inoperable brain cancer that is in remission right now.

you can e-mail him at XXXXXXXXXXXXXX. i hope i am not doing the wrong thing by posting his e-mail address, but the one thing i know about him is he won't get to mad at me for doing this.

charm city whizz
06-29-2016, 05:22 PM
I talked to Larry today.......he is doing the best he can considering the circumstances, according to doctors he had outlived all predictons by at least 3 years!!!!!

Now I don't know if it can get any worse but this guy has endured inoperable brain Cancer and his wife suddenly died about a year and a half ago.......just seems unfair

On a positive note Larry will be in action july 3 at parxxxxxxxx!!!!!!!

Great job with the email adress lamboguy👍👍👍👍👍👍

PaceAdvantage
06-29-2016, 11:06 PM
I edited out his email address. I'd hate for him to get tons of spam after the internet robots get a hold of his email address.

You can always send lambo guy a private message if you want his email address.

molson721
07-01-2016, 09:58 PM
he's amazing fighting the fight. i called him a few years ago when my friends kid was in the battle and he called every night and got the poor kid through his treatments. i couldn't be more thankful for what he did. he had the kid laughing his ass off instead of thinking about his troubles. it really doesn't get any better than LL. a great human.
If you can contact him, ask him to give us regular updates. Others in the industry post here but if he doesn't want to create an account, ask him to give updates through your account because he has many fans here. Thanks in advance lambo.

Run Nicholas Run
07-01-2016, 11:24 PM
IT IS IT AND THAT IS THAT !!

Larry was awesome back when AC ran a real meet ,and still is!!

Redbullsnation
07-07-2016, 04:06 PM
The old Freehold announcer is back?? Hopefully for good...

cj
07-07-2016, 04:58 PM
The old Freehold announcer is back?? Hopefully for good...

Jack E. Lee? :)

SuperPickle
07-07-2016, 05:00 PM

Both of you bite your tongues....

Jack E Lee shall always be known as the OLD Roosevelt announcer and Larry as the old Atlantic City announcer.

cj
07-07-2016, 05:13 PM
Both of you bite your tongues....

Jack E Lee shall always be known as the OLD Roosevelt announcer and Larry as the old Atlantic City announcer.

Lee was the guy when I was stationed in New Jersey in the 80s and 90s. I liked him but if memory serves he turned out to be a guy with some problems.

chenoa
07-07-2016, 05:55 PM

"It's Herv and that's all you got to say!!!!!" :lol: :lol:

EMD4ME
07-07-2016, 06:29 PM
"It's Herv and that's all you got to say!!!!!" :lol: :lol:

DOC'S FELLA.....THE FAR OUTSIDE THIIIIIIRD

I still hear that in my memories!

charm city whizz
07-07-2016, 06:53 PM
" put the whip away howie your hooooooome free"

reckless
07-07-2016, 07:01 PM
Lee was the guy when I was stationed in New Jersey in the 80s and 90s. I liked him but if memory serves he turned out to be a guy with some problems.

Jack E. Lee basically put his elderly parents in the poor house settling some money 'business' with a tough crowd, if you know what I mean.

Jack E. Lee's dad was the legendary Mike Lee, revered Sports Editor of the Long Island Press.

Some of NYC's greatest sports writers -- Jack Anderson, Phil Pepe to name just two -- got their very first break under Mike Lee at The Press. Sorry if this is OT.

castaway01
07-07-2016, 07:06 PM
OT, some of you guys are really old.

chenoa
07-07-2016, 07:12 PM
DOC'S FELLA.....THE FAR OUTSIDE THIIIIIIRD

I still hear that in my memories!

There is one video on YouTube of him calling the guy on the lead "The New York Clock Stopper" at Yonkers. What's the deal behind that name? Anyone know?

wisconsin
07-07-2016, 07:40 PM
There is one video on YouTube of him calling the guy on the lead "The New York Clock Stopper" at Yonkers. What's the deal behind that name? Anyone know?

Dave Ingraham

v j stauffer
07-07-2016, 08:30 PM
Larry makes me proud to be an announcer.

Wonderful man.

Hey for all you harness guys.

I was actually around the game working for DRF and saw Niatross pace at Hollywood Park. Best I ever saw. No photo.

Also, unfortunately I was there and had to write the story the tragic night Shelly Goudreau was killed.

Horrible night. :(

chenoa
07-07-2016, 10:34 PM
Dave Ingraham

:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

SuperPickle
07-07-2016, 11:23 PM
Larry makes me proud to be an announcer.

Wonderful man.

Hey for all you harness guys.

I was actually around the game working for DRF and saw Niatross pace at Hollywood Park. Best I ever saw. No photo.

Also, unfortunately I was there and had to write the story the tragic night Shelly Goudreau was killed.

Horrible night. :(

Vic what's the story on that? I knew a harness groom who worked in SoCal during that era who told me the horse was a notorious bit breaker and Shelly didn't know. The horse broke the bit. He tried to bail and he clipped something and landed on his head?

v j stauffer
07-08-2016, 02:39 AM
Vic what's the story on that? I knew a harness groom who worked in SoCal during that era who told me the horse was a notorious bit breaker and Shelly didn't know. The horse broke the bit. He tried to bail and he clipped something and landed on his head?

First I've ever heard anything about him breaking bits. Suppose it's possible. Horse was named Regan's Lad. The equipment broke heading into first turn. Goudreau eased him to the middle of the track. Turned his legs to the side of the sulky and jumped. His leg's seemed to catch something in such a way it whipped his body and head into the track. He couldn't be saved.

bello
07-08-2016, 10:17 AM
I too was there, just moves to SoCal from New Jersey. I also do not know anything about an equipment issue but it was a horrible site.

Shelley's head hit the track and took a bounce like a basketball dribble. He then lifted his head up briefly ( I thought he would miraculously that split second) but it quickly fell back to the ground motionless.

Now getting the thread back on track.....Please keep us posted on Larry's guest engagements. They are not to be missed.

Keep up the great attitude Larry. You are not only a marvel but truly marvelous and an inspiration.

charm city whizz
07-08-2016, 10:26 AM

Hahahahahaha I heard that too

Other Jack Lee nick names

Rockin Ronny pierce

All you gotta know is Jackie mo

Say hey bill fahy

Howard pacing Parker

Used to call Herve the colonel and George brennen then barbecue man (not sure why besides his colors maybe

wisconsin
07-08-2016, 11:18 AM

Rockin Ronny pierce

Say hey bill fahy

Howard pacing Parker

Used to call Herve the colonel and George brennen then barbecue man (not sure why besides his colors maybe

Jersey Joe Schwind

Nooooooooooobody beats the Cat Man

AlBundy33
07-08-2016, 01:39 PM
Diamond Jim Marshall, one-two-three.

cj
07-08-2016, 01:57 PM

Rockin Ronny pierce

Say hey bill fahy

Howard pacing Parker

The Captain Carl Cito.

SuperPickle
07-08-2016, 05:47 PM
First I've ever heard anything about him breaking bits. Suppose it's possible. Horse was named Regan's Lad. The equipment broke heading into first turn. Goudreau eased him to the middle of the track. Turned his legs to the side of the sulky and jumped. His leg's seemed to catch something in such a way it whipped his body and head into the track. He couldn't be saved.

The bit definitely broke. It was in the stories written about it back in the day. The backstretch rumor has always been the horse was notorious for doing it and the trainer and groom didn't tell Shelly. The part I've never understood is how that would have made a difference. It's like me telling you my car's tires sometimes fly off before giving you the keys. I'm not sure how the information helps you from crashing.

I was also always told this event and Jack Parker's accident which was essentially equally bad but he survived caused drivers to start wearing real helmets. Supposedly the helmets of the 70's and early 80's were essentially like old football helmets. Lot of leather and little else.

The other kicker is Jack Parker went back to driving and drove till recently. If you spent 30 seconds talking to him you'd see he had a traumatic brain injury. I always felt it was weird they let a guy driver horses who clearly was a little off and definitely had dull response time.

charm city whizz
07-08-2016, 07:39 PM
The Captain Carl Cito.

Wow thought you didnt know harness 😂😂😂😂😂😭

100 percent the captain👍👍👍

chenoa
07-09-2016, 10:41 AM

Rockin Ronny pierce

Say hey bill fahy

Howard pacing Parker

Can't forget

The hallmark of harness racing John Campbell :lol:

affirmedny
07-09-2016, 12:45 PM
Bobbooooooo!!

open trotter in the 70s

v j stauffer
07-09-2016, 10:59 PM
I admit I don't know much about harness racing. Especially in the more recent times.

I do know one thing from the past. They were racing at Los Alamitos must have been early 80's or so.

Couple drivers came over to my house for a few beers. For one it became a few more than a few.

Next thing I know a wicked wrist shot with a real puck whizzes down my hall and makes a perfect puck sized hole in the bedroom door at the end of the hall.

Came to find out later it wasn't all that unusual behavior for Mario Baillargeon. :eek:

charm city whizz
07-09-2016, 11:02 PM
I admit I don't know much about harness racing. Especially in the more recent times.

I do know one thing from the past. They were racing at Los Alamitos must have been early 80's or so.

Couple drivers came over to my house for a few beers. For one it became a few more than a few.

Next thing I know a wicked wrist shot with a real puck whizzes down my hall and makes a perfect puck sized hole in the bedroom door at the end of the hall.

Came to find out later it wasn't all that unusual behavior for Mario Baillargeon. :eek:

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 I have heard stories of him in the past but this takes the cake, remeber betting los al harness in the downstairs at the meadowlands with hong kong at 3 in the morning it wasn't pretty

chenoa
07-09-2016, 11:25 PM
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 I have heard stories of him in the past but this takes the cake, remeber betting los al harness in the downstairs at the meadowlands with hong kong at 3 in the morning it wasn't pretty

Our track seemed to have problems finding the ENGLISH feed for Hong Kong back in the day, and across the 2nd level it would be blaring in CANTONESE!! :lol: :lol:

And in between races, still early enough that Fraser Downs was going on, and Rick Uppal was calling back then. Now the caller at Ocean Downs, he has toned it down a bit from his Fraser Downs days. (Search Fraser Downs/Duca for a blast from the past) :D :D

molson721
07-11-2016, 10:03 PM
Can we keep this thread about Larry. IF anybody can contact him, let him know his fans would love to know how he is doing in this long term battle. I started this thread because it had been a while since I heard him call a race and WAS THRILLED to know he is still among the living and hoping he stays that way as long as I am still among the living. Even if I didn't bet the race, I would watch it to listen to Larry waiting for that clever comment during his race calls.

AlBundy33
07-11-2016, 10:12 PM
I used to look forward to the Garden State harness meet just to hear his calls and what he would come up with next. Miss the days when between him and Robin Burns at Scioto betting those place via simulcast.

I know that track announcers shouldn't influence where you bet, but those two were something else. And the racing wasn't bad at GSP.

Ocala Mike
07-11-2016, 10:18 PM
Frank Mirahmadi has been posting on Facebook about his "pizza tour," and apparently Larry accompanied him to some pizza restaurant in Jersey either today or yesterday, so he's well enough for that.

castaway01
07-11-2016, 10:23 PM
Frank Mirahmadi has been posting on Facebook about his "pizza tour," and apparently Larry accompanied him to some pizza restaurant in Jersey either today or yesterday, so he's well enough for that.

If I knew Larry was at Conte's today I would have stopped in to buy him a slice.

It was nice hearing Larry at Parx a few days ago too.

lamboguy
07-12-2016, 05:56 AM
Can we keep this thread about Larry. IF anybody can contact him, let him know his fans would love to know how he is doing in this long term battle. I started this thread because it had been a while since I heard him call a race and WAS THRILLED to know he is still among the living and hoping he stays that way as long as I am still among the living. Even if I didn't bet the race, I would watch it to listen to Larry waiting for that clever comment during his race calls.
as long as he feels strong enough he will call races on a temporary basis. he happens to be very good friends with the guy that owns the Meadowlands and will call races there one of these days.

for Larry it must feel real good to get positive vibes from people like yourself. for me i am just glad that you are one of his fans along with others here. like i said before he spent a lot of time speaking with my friends kid and dealing with the rest of his family. the kid passed on about a year ago and his family is still very thankful for all of Larry's efforts. no doubt about it, Larry is top notch in my book and there isn't anything i won't do to help him as best i can. you influenced me enough with his actions that i will continue to donate a portion of my purse winnings this year to help out cancer support groups in Boston. last year i only had 1 win from 1 horse. this year i have 2 pretty decent New York Breds that look good so far, so i am hoping i can do my part to help out.

castaway01
08-19-2016, 12:46 PM
For those interested, Larry is calling Monmouth today.

pandy
08-19-2016, 02:09 PM
For those interested, Larry is calling Monmouth today.

Larry will be calling Monmouth every day this weekend. Frank is in the hospital. Tom Cassidy read a letter on TVG about it. It didn't go into details but Tom did say that he saw Frank and Frank was in good spirits. Get well soon, Frank, best wishes.

castaway01
08-19-2016, 02:15 PM
Larry will be calling Monmouth every day this weekend. Frank is in the hospital. Tom Cassidy read a letter on TVG about it. It didn't go into details but Tom did say that he saw Frank and Frank was in good spirits. Get well soon, Frank, best wishes.

Didn't know that, thanks for the info. Glad to hear Larry but certainly hope Frank will be okay.

upthecreek
08-19-2016, 02:26 PM
Jay Privman (@DRFPrivman) tweeted at 0:08 PM on Fri, Aug 19, 2016:
Sending good thoughts to my friend @FrankMirahmadi, who had emergency surgery earlier this week, sidelined for time being. Get well Frank!

upthecreek
08-19-2016, 06:04 PM
http://www.drf.com/news/mirahmadi-recovering-surgery-lederman-call-monmouth-races

lamboguy
08-22-2016, 06:33 AM
sorry i haven't spoken to you in a while. i am glad you sound so good. please...

Lawrence Lederman
2:15 PM (16 hours ago)

to me
Hi Phil, I can send you love, regards and well wishes but winners and money, you've got the wrong email address.
Glad to be calling for all the wrong reasons as frank is a friend.
Hope all is good kemplerville!
Thanks for the checkin
Best, Larry

Sent from my iPhone

Tom
08-22-2016, 09:40 AM

Seriously, what could be better than a pizza tour with Frank? :p :p :p

chenoa
09-29-2016, 12:17 AM
"The engines have shut down...........you can put the knee down and run out the clock." ----Race 6 Monmouth @ Mdwlnds

God bless Larry, another beauty!!!! :) :)

upthecreek
01-10-2018, 03:59 PM
https://twitter.com/eedoogie/status/950842139839291392

reckless
01-10-2018, 04:03 PM
I've been out of the loop awhile now so what kind of surgery did Larry have?

I know of his past difficulties ... did they return?

Thank you.

pandy
01-10-2018, 04:31 PM
I've been out of the loop awhile now so what kind of surgery did Larry have?

I know of his past difficulties ... did they return?

Thank you.

From what I read it was surgery to remove a tumor from his brain, pretty much the same problem he's had all along. Hopefully he'll be back behind the mic again soon.

Cutter14
01-10-2018, 04:45 PM
One of my all time favorites.....Be Well Larry...super entertaining race caller

reckless
01-10-2018, 04:59 PM
From what I read it was surgery to remove a tumor from his brain, pretty much the same problem he's had all along. Hopefully he'll be back behind the mic again soon.

Thank you Bob for the info. Sad to hear.

Larry is truly one of the better race callers around. He did a few days at Parx recently, if I remember correctly.

Run Nicholas Run
01-11-2018, 04:26 PM
one of his earliest race calls I remember was at AC one night and he says

the trio of trailers are mihair mair , peebles flintstone and ok bud,
I said to myself Pebbles Flintstone , how did i miss that in the program?

It is it and that is that!