PDA

View Full Version : Not Exactly Toga or Del Mar colony, but...

sq764
07-07-2004, 01:39 PM
Stuart is holding his own, and very quietly too..

http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbTopLeadersByTrackDisplay.cfm?TRK=MTH&CY=USA&STAT=J

Dancer's Image
07-07-2004, 02:00 PM
Bravo leads with 35 wins and a 23% win clip...
Coa in 2nd with 30 and a 24% clip
Stew 3rd with 23 and only a 12% clip....there's at least 10 other jocks with >12% win clips below Stew. I wouldn't call that holding his own. I'd call it taking advantage of the opportunity afforded him for his ride on Smarty Jones! He's been given more than 50 rides more than the other jockeys. And there's nothing wrong with that! But he will not continue to get all these rides if he doesn't win a higher % of races.

CryingForTheHorses
07-07-2004, 02:06 PM
Seems funny but a Jock MUST pay his dues at a new track,He may ride a lot of horses but he isnt getting to ride the RIGHT ones.

sq764
07-07-2004, 02:40 PM
So a guy starting out at a new track, riding what he can get and winning at a 12% clip is not holding your own??

PSTfredk
07-07-2004, 02:58 PM
I think a 12% jockey will led you to the poor house. jockeys don't
make great horses, great horses make jockeys look better than
they really are. take a look at lucas he on a downer right now
because his stock has not reached it value yet. he has the best jockeys riding but that horse only will run so fast no matter
what you do unless it's illegal.

peakpros
07-07-2004, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by sq764
So a guy starting out at a new track, riding what he can get and winning at a 12% clip is not holding your own??

Elliot rides first call for the Michael Gill stable. That's hardly riding what he can. Althought the GIll outfit is really not tearing up the place.

Elliot is a very solid jock. Certainly on the same level as the other top jocks at Monmouth.

OTM Al
07-07-2004, 03:19 PM
He's in the top group with Pimentel, Coa and Lopez to be sure. New Jersey is Joe Bravo's world and will be as long as he wants to keep going back, so not fair to compare with the master.

Dancer's Image
07-07-2004, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by peakpros
Elliot rides first call for the Michael Gill stable. That's hardly riding what he can. Althought the GIll outfit is really not tearing up the place.

Elliot is a very solid jock. Certainly on the same level as the other top jocks at Monmouth.

Peakpros;
I didn't realize Stew was riding first call for Gill. Does Gill race at Philly also? If not, that's probably why Stew decided to go to Monmouth this year.

Ps. to Sq: No, I don't consider what Stew is doing at Monmouth to be holding his own. He's #1 at Philly Park, he is about 10-15th in win % at Monmouth

CryingForTheHorses
07-07-2004, 04:59 PM
A jockey is only as good as his horse,You can have the best horse and get beat..You can have the worst horse and win! Sounds to me like his agent isnt getting the top calls.This has always made me wonder..Why would you want to leave where you are fed?
What the hell is wrong with the guy...He had it made where he was..Did he think the Smarty fame would make him god??.He had the money in his pocket at PP and now he has to dig into his pocket at Monmouth.Im almost certain the smarty defeat hurt him in many ways.It took e a lonnnnng time to relieze this..If you run a horse in a 5k claimer..He becomes a 5k claimer..If you have a jock ride only cheap horses, That jock is branded for life as a rider of cheap horses.12% isnt the worst..It is borderline to making a living, Dont forget he still gets paid for out of money races.If I were him I would go back to where I was a big fish in a lttle pond..Before its too late.

peakpros
07-07-2004, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by McSchell_Racing
A jockey is only as good as his horse,You can have the best horse and get beat..You can have the worst horse and win! Sounds to me like his agent isnt getting the top calls.This has always made me wonder..Why would you want to leave where you are fed?
What the hell is wrong with the guy...He had it made where he was..Did he think the Smarty fame would make him god??.He had the money in his pocket at PP and now he has to dig into his pocket at Monmouth.Im almost certain the smarty defeat hurt him in many ways.It took e a lonnnnng time to relieze this..If you run a horse in a 5k claimer..He becomes a 5k claimer..If you have a jock ride only cheap horses, That jock is branded for life as a rider of cheap horses.12% isnt the worst..It is borderline to making a living, Dont forget he still gets paid for out of money races.If I were him I would go back to where I was a big fish in a lttle pond..Before its too late.

You may have a good idea what is going on in Florida but your Monmouth info is off.

Elliot won this past Monday's feature stake race (70K)on a horse that set a track record (prseidentialaffair).

Again, I will state he is riding first call for Michael Gill. You should be familiar with him...he led the country in wins last year.

I think his win % is down because he is accepting allot of mounts from almost everyone as he makes the rounds and rides his wave of popularity.

I get to Monmouth 3-4 times a week so I see Elliot allot. He is very friendly with the fans, signs autographs after every race and to me makes very few if any mistakes while on a horse. My only question with him is his grass ability. I just haven't make a judgement yet. Also the best turf horses go to Bravo where he really excells at Monmouth.

peakpros
07-07-2004, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Dancer's Image
Peakpros;
I didn't realize Stew was riding first call for Gill. Does Gill race at Philly also? If not, that's probably why Stew decided to go to Monmouth this year.

Ps. to Sq: No, I don't consider what Stew is doing at Monmouth to be holding his own. He's #1 at Philly Park, he is about 10-15th in win % at Monmouth

I'm believe Gill he may be at Philly but I am not sure how big an outfit he has there.

peakpros
07-07-2004, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by OTM Al
He's in the top group with Pimentel, Coa and Lopez to be sure. New Jersey is Joe Bravo's world and will be as long as he wants to keep going back, so not fair to compare with the master.

Bravo still rules but he offers very little value. Especially on the turf.

Coa is giving him a good run this year. He's every bit as talented as Bravo in MHO.

Chuckie Lopez, Eddie King, and Felix Ortiz have been hot.

Especially Ortiz who is really riding in good form.

Another who quietly having a good meet is Chris Decarlo.

Dancer's Image
07-07-2004, 06:26 PM
Peak,
I noticed that also but didn't mention him since I'd never heard of him...

Christopher P. DeCarlo 64 12 7 13 ....that's almost a 20% win clip and exactly 50% in the money

cj
07-07-2004, 06:30 PM
DeCarlo has been around for quite a long time. He rode in Jersey when I lived there from 1985-95. He actually won the Haskell aboard Wise Times in 1986.

andicap
07-07-2004, 07:22 PM
what are the average odds of the horses Elliot is riding.

I remember when Cauthen went to LA and he got nothing but longshots to ride. Not saying this is similar, but as the new rider in the colony, aren't Bravo and the others getting the best calls due to longstanding relationships?

Just wondering as I am not familiar with the Monmouth jockey colony.

Dancer's Image
07-07-2004, 07:31 PM
Andicap,
You make a good point, win % and total wins are nice, but the only stat that means anything is ROI...and I have no idea how to compute that or where to find it.

peakpros
07-07-2004, 09:35 PM
I think the most important stat is your ROI with certain jockeys.

My biggest wins this year (and last) have been with Lou Rivera Jr. He wins at less than 10%. But I'll take him on a legit longshot over anyone in the Monmouth Jock room.

andicap..

I think one of the drawbacks in riding first call for Gill is that "top" other trainers at the meet are not so keen to place Elliot on their top mounts.

Steve 'StatMan'
07-07-2004, 10:48 PM
Good point. They don't want anyone giving Gill a scouting report on their better horse and lose them via a claim.

KingChas
07-07-2004, 11:35 PM
Does anyone remember Stewart actually began at Monmouth then went to Philly.Now back.Years ago I used to catch some nice payouts on Stew at Monmouth.Seemed to always go off at a ripe price and he gave you a ride for your money.