PDA

View Full Version : 2016 NFL

Valuist
06-24-2016, 02:53 PM
Jeff Fisher of the St. Louis/LA Rams is the first coach to keep his job following four straight losing seasons since????? Since none other than Jeff Fisher of the Tennessee Titans.

Secondbest
06-24-2016, 04:57 PM
Jeff Fisher of the St. Louis/LA Rams is the first coach to keep his job following four straight losing seasons since????? Since none other than Jeff Fisher of the Tennessee Titans.
He is so overrated its Beyond belief. Living off that súper bowl loss.Just a terrible coach

Valuist
06-24-2016, 05:26 PM
He is so overrated its Beyond belief. Living off that súper bowl loss.Just a terrible coach

Hard to believe that game was one month after the turn of the century, and he's STILL living off that.

Valuist
07-17-2016, 10:55 PM
In going thru all the team's schedules, if you are a Jets fan, my condolences. If you are a Cowboys fan, you have a perfect set up to get to the playoffs.

The Jets start the season with 7 games against teams projected (by LV) to be at least .500 or better. They have 8 games against teams projected for 9 or more wins, and only 4 against teams projected at 7 wins or less.

Dallas has only 4 games (the only team) against teams projected to have 9 or more wins.

Zaf
07-18-2016, 12:07 AM
I am a Jets fan :(

Z

Zaf
07-18-2016, 12:13 AM
We probably earned that schedule by the record setting seasons from Fitzpatrick and Marshall, missed the playoffs thanks to 2 losses to Rex :mad: :D and the Bills. So much fun being a Jets fan :lol:

Z

Secondbest
07-18-2016, 08:51 PM
Jets start off with Bengals then face Rex ,Chiefs,Seahawks,Pitt,Arizona,Ravens.
3 super bowl winning QBs plus Dalton and Palmer. Really tough start.

Robert Fischer
07-18-2016, 11:56 PM
New England plays the Jets, Bills, Fins twice

haven't checked the SOS stats, but that never hurts

Zaf
07-19-2016, 12:32 AM

That's almost like a guarantee of 5 wins, even if Brady doesn't start :bang:

Z

Valuist
07-19-2016, 10:29 AM

NE schedule is middle of the road.

Valuist
07-22-2016, 01:21 PM
Week 1:

Baltimore -2 1/2
Chicago +6

Betting these two early; I anticipate Baltimore to move to 3, and with the Watt surgery, I could see that moving to 5 1/2, and there's no guarantee Watt will be ready in week 1.

Have to consider Carolina -2 1/2 in the opener, but I don't like laying points in Denver. But one could certainly see that line moving to 3.

Valuist
07-25-2016, 12:57 AM
Adding New England +6 (-118). I realize Brady is out, but I suspect they will still show up, and be in the game the entire way. Carson Palmer has to be almost 50 by now. He's old AND fragile.

tucker6
07-25-2016, 06:25 AM
Adding New England +6 (-118). I realize Brady is out, but I suspect they will still show up, and be in the game the entire way. Carson Palmer has to be almost 50 by now. He's old AND fragile.
I hope you have more backing up this bet than what you posted. If anything NE has a habit of starting the season more slowly than they finish.

Valuist
07-25-2016, 10:11 AM
I hope you have more backing up this bet than what you posted. If anything NE has a habit of starting the season more slowly than they finish.

New England has covered the spread in nearly 60% of their games over the past 10 plus years. We saw the team still went 11-5 in 2008 when Brady played a quarter and a half.

And speaking of 60%, I posted plays on here last year that were at the 60% mark....I don't think I need to explain anything further.

Valuist
07-25-2016, 10:43 AM
Patriots under Belichek are 36-19-3 ATS as an underdog since 2001. I believe players, such as Tom Brady, as fully accounted for in the pointspread. Belichek clearly knows how to motivate his team.

Valuist
07-26-2016, 02:09 AM
Carolina @ Denver Over 43

The rematch of the Super Bowl and the books got lazy and just put up the same total as the closing number for the Super Bowl at 43. But there has been quite a few personnel changes; Peyton Manning, while an all-time great, was one of the worst QBs in 2015. On the defensive side, Danny Trevaythen was the Broncos leading tackler last year, and he's gone to the Bears. DE Malik Jackson went to the Jags. As for Carolina, they lose All Pro corner Josh Norman to the Redskins, and on offense, they get back # 1 WR Kelvin Benjamin, who was out all of 2015 with injuries. Those changes should only help the offense. I think this number will be closer to 46 by gametime.

NJ Stinks
07-26-2016, 08:57 PM
This looks like a nice spot to say:

I've got the Giants at 40-1 to win the Super Bowl this year. I bet "each way" so if the Giants wind up in the Super Bowl and lose, I will get paid at 20-1 odds. The bet was placed with William Hill last month.

Two main reasons for the wager:

1. Giants are outclassed by nobody in their division. A divisional title may not be likely but it's not out of reach by any means.

2. Hopefully, the Giants learned a lot from all those 4th quarter blown leads in 2015 and have improved defensively.

reckless
07-26-2016, 09:11 PM

I've got the Giants at 40-1 to win the Super Bowl this year. I bet "each way" so if the Giants wind up in the Super Bowl and lose, I will get paid at 20-1 odds. The bet was placed with William Hill last month.

1. Giants are outclassed by nobody in their division. A divisional title may not be likely but it's not out of reach by any means.

2. Hopefully, the Giants learned a lot from all those 4th quarter blown leads in 2015 and have improved defensively.

They did learn, starting with the firing of Tom Coughlin.

(FWIW.... I think you made a good bet there.)

NJ Stinks
07-26-2016, 09:50 PM
They did learn, starting with the firing of Tom Coughlin.

(FWIW.... I think you made a good bet there.)

I hope it is still alive come Halloween, Reckless. :)

Really, I must say it was hard not to find an attractive bet. I think the favorites (NE and Seattle) were both at least 7-1 last month.

NorCalGreg
07-31-2016, 06:23 AM
I don't think I've ever posted here on the football forum....honestly, it's a little embarrassing when your team just stinks.

But finally, with the passing of Mr Davis, May He Rest In Peace....we have returned to glory.

RAIDERS!!!!!!!!

anotherCAfan
07-31-2016, 10:38 PM
I think NE wins outright in the desert in Week 1. As I dislike the Patriots, hope I'm wrong.

edit: as for Jeff Fisher... he's a USC guy so I support him... I hope he sports the backward cap Week 1 on Monday night in Santa Clara... winnable first game for the LA Rams but it will be tough

MutuelClerk
08-01-2016, 12:52 AM
Hell Fuking YEAH

God bless Al Davis.

No glory yet, one step at a time....

Secondbest
08-01-2016, 11:20 AM

I like your reasoning .As a long time Giants fan I hope your right

Secondbest
08-01-2016, 11:23 AM
Belichek clearly knows how to motivate his team.
Now that's an understatement if I ever heard one

jahura2
08-01-2016, 12:45 PM
I don't think I've ever posted here on the football forum....honestly, it's a little embarrassing when your team just stinks.

But finally, with the passing of Mr Davis, May He Rest In Peace....we have returned to glory.

RAIDERS!!!!!!!!

NCG, I would have loved to have been born a Raiders fan, unfortunately I was born in Cleveland and you know who I am cursed to follow for the rest of my life. Thats right.....The Cleveland Browns baby!

Valuist
08-03-2016, 02:25 PM
The Raiders are the "too popular" pick this year to improve. They DID improve last year; Carr looked good, as did Cooper. The defense has to be repaired. But now there's the question of whether they will be the Las Vegas Raiders, or LA Raiders, or San Antonio Raiders. Can't help but think this will be a distraction.

proximity
08-03-2016, 11:24 PM
i'm worried about the raiders and jags stepping up to challenge the colts in the next ten years but right now i'm most worried about pittsburgh.

safety depth is a BIG concern as geathers is injured and we probably shouldn't have let lowery walk to sd.

big one vs packers sunday night!! :cool:

rastajenk
08-07-2016, 08:45 PM
To paraphrase an old movie title, Suppose They Cancelled a Hall of Fame game and Nobody Cared? :p

proximity
08-07-2016, 09:29 PM
To paraphrase an old movie title, Suppose They Cancelled a Hall of Fame game and Nobody Cared? :p

i took a power nap through the phillies game and woke up to watch this. :blush:

at least the phillies won!! :rolleyes:

Valuist
08-08-2016, 12:27 PM
i'm worried about the raiders and jags stepping up to challenge the colts in the next ten years but right now i'm most worried about pittsburgh.

safety depth is a BIG concern as geathers is injured and we probably shouldn't have let lowery walk to sd.

big one vs packers sunday night!! :cool:

You sound like you have a lot of confidence in the Colts....not really sure where that's coming from. They still have a ton of problems on the defensive side. 26th in overall defense last year; 25th vs the run, 24th vs the pass.

proximity
08-08-2016, 08:55 PM
You sound like you have a lot of confidence in the Colts....not really sure where that's coming from. They still have a ton of problems on the defensive side. 26th in overall defense last year; 25th vs the run, 24th vs the pass.

the upcoming drafts can really focus hard on defense so while i don't like a lot of the current depth i see no reason not to be optimistic about the future.

a lot of last year's problems i put on the offense and three and outs. vontae struggled (a little) with a toe and toler never seemed to recover from his neck injury so i see robinson as being an upgrade. mathis didn't really get going until towards the end of the season although he's obviously not part of the long term.

there seem to be some good reports coming out of camp about tj green but a lot of fans were skeptical of the pick.

Secondbest
08-08-2016, 10:33 PM
the upcoming drafts can really focus hard on defense so while i don't like a lot of the current depth i see no reason not to be optimistic about the future.

a lot of last year's problems i put on the offense and three and outs. vontae struggled (a little) with a toe and toler never seemed to recover from his neck injury so i see robinson as being an upgrade. mathis didn't really get going until towards the end of the season although he's obviously not part of the long term.

there seem to be some good reports coming out of camp about tj green but a lot of fans were skeptical of the pick.
If that offensive line doesn't get any better Luck is going have a short career.

proximity
08-08-2016, 10:52 PM
If that offensive line doesn't get any better Luck is going have a short career.

there might be some growing pains as i think philbin is bringing in a zone blocking scheme and we're switching oc's.... again. long term though that'll be an improvement and the line should be fine. apparently howard mudd's even raving about haeg?

there's some good young talent on the defensive line although the jones suspension hurts since henry anderson's injured. but linebackers and secondary will be a concern as mathis, dq jackson, and adams won't be around forever.

Valuist
08-09-2016, 12:23 PM

During the Manning years, they figured out a formula that masked their defensive weaknesses. They had defenses that were always fast, but undersized. They had a few real good defensive players, like Freeney and Mathis rushing the passer, and Saunders when he wasn't hurt. So get a quick 14-0 lead, and force the opponent to stop running the ball, which the Colts have never been good at stopping. Then Freeney and Mathis could just tee off and rush the passer every play. It was a great formula to win a lot of regular season games, but the lack of physicality is why, IMO, they didn't have more postseason success during the Manning years. They still are fast and undersized.

proximity
08-09-2016, 04:49 PM
last year's team was a hot mess and still went 8-8 and 1-1 vs improved jacksonville. i'm most worried about pittsburgh. hopefully new dc ted monachino from baltimore will have some answers for all the talent they have at the skill positions? i'm quite confident chudzinski's offense will be an improvement over hamilton's.

Valuist
08-09-2016, 05:21 PM
last year's team was a hot mess and still went 8-8 and 1-1 vs improved jacksonville. i'm most worried about pittsburgh. hopefully new dc ted monachino from baltimore will have some answers for all the talent they have at the skill positions? i'm quite confident chudzinski's offense will be an improvement over hamilton's.

The Colts do have one thing going for them; the AFC South is a hot mess. I'm not ready to crown Jax anything yet; Mariota showed positive signs last year but the supporting cast for Tenn still not good. And if JJ Watt misses significant time, stick a fork in Houston. But whoever comes out of that division will likely get drilled in the opening round of the playoffs.

Secondbest
08-09-2016, 05:48 PM
The biggest thing I don't like is the GM and the coach. Wasting a pick for Richardson was very dumb. Then drafting WRs and not Ol was bad. This year they smartened up. But now the other teams in the division are catching up.

Robert Fischer
08-09-2016, 05:54 PM
win totals
San Francisco 49ers

OVER 5.5 +100

proximity
08-09-2016, 06:08 PM
The biggest thing I don't like is the GM and the coach. Wasting a pick for Richardson was very dumb. Then drafting WRs and not Ol was bad. This year they smartened up. But now the other teams in the division are catching up.

i was surprised both got extended but i with 3 11-5 seasons and an 8-8 without our starting qb i can understand mr irsay's decision.

although pagano is back both coordinators are new and bringing in philbin as ol coach was a good move.

with luck in as qb we toyed with "champion" denver and probably would've won in carolina if chud was even calling pep's plays.

pittsburgh (as much as i hate them) was another story. not just one bad game but they had people running around wide open TWO years in a row. manusky never adjusted and i'll be curious to see how monachino tries to defend them thanksgiving night!!

PhantomOnTour
08-09-2016, 06:50 PM
A fun exercise I do before every football season:

Name a team that missed the playoffs last year, but will make the postseason this year...my pick is Tampa Bay
Name a team that made the playoffs last year but won't this year...my pick is the Washington Redskins

Secondbest
08-09-2016, 09:16 PM
In. Giants
Out. Vikings

ElKabong
08-11-2016, 12:19 AM
In. Cowboys (not a fan)
Out. Vikings

NorCalGreg
08-11-2016, 02:58 AM
Okay last pic of anything before pre-season, training camp starts in earnest, etc. No matter where the Raiders go (and trust me--it's NOT like they have any choice)--they'll still be THE RAIDUHS.

The useless buffoons that run Oakland have ruined any chance of them staying...the Warriors are already gone--just waiting for their palatial digs to be completed in San Francisco. So don't hold it against Mark Davis for moving on--Oakland can't even pay the service on the renovations they did to the Coliseum 10 yrs ago.
Oakland once was a thriving city, built a world class museum, rapid transit system, renovated art deco theaters, etc.

...Then the Democrats took over :confused:

Maybe my Cleveland friend Jahura will appreciate this picture:

Valuist
08-11-2016, 02:44 PM
Okay last pic of anything before pre-season, training camp starts in earnest, etc. No matter where the Raiders go (and trust me--it's NOT like they have any choice)--they'll still be THE RAIDUHS.

The useless buffoons that run Oakland have ruined any chance of them staying...the Warriors are already gone--just waiting for their palatial digs to be completed in San Francisco. So don't hold it against Mark Davis for moving on--Oakland can't even pay the service on the renovations they did to the Coliseum 10 yrs ago.
Oakland once was a thriving city, built a world class museum, rapid transit system, renovated art deco theaters, etc.

I made my first Coliseum visit last weekend. The troughs in the washrooms reminded me of Wrigley. And its too bad they had to put in Mt. Davis; didn't it used to have a nice view of the hills?

I like BART, but its a nightmare after the game, if there's a good crowd. And it was packed with Cub fans last weekend.

hugh
08-12-2016, 04:28 PM
NFL is here! (Sort of)
PRESEASON football.
Like the Raiders tonight against AZ.
Getting 3 points which I'll take happily. Its preseason so taking the dogs is almost always a good play.
They're (OAKLAND) going to surprise people this year.
72% of the public is on AZ.

Secondbest
08-14-2016, 12:11 PM
I just read that the Browns have named Robert Griffen as their starting QB.

Secondbest
08-14-2016, 12:56 PM
Not sure what to make of it .They can't be any worse,but then again they are the Browns.

tucker6
08-14-2016, 03:51 PM
I just read that the Browns have named Robert Griffen as their starting QB.
So you finally got around to reading last Monday's paper lol.

jahura2
08-16-2016, 03:37 PM

NCG, Love the Raiders Hearse, quite a bit classier than what I have to offer!
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg279/Red_Right_88/logobrowniepoopie-1.png

Valuist
08-30-2016, 04:26 PM
Supposedly a major knee injury for Bridgewater. Shaun Hill is the backup for the Vikings.

Robert Fischer
08-30-2016, 04:49 PM
win totals
San Francisco 49ers

OVER 5.5 +100

:bang:

Funny thing is , I liked them to win 6 or 7 games with Gabbert as QB. I thought he'd win the job and do well with Kelly's system.

Kaepernick has been an obvious distraction.

I'm a big Chip Kelly fan. Will be interested to see how this shakes out.

proximity
08-30-2016, 05:18 PM
NCG, Love the Raiders Hearse, quite a bit classier than what I have to offer!
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg279/Red_Right_88/logobrowniepoopie-1.png

the browns release kruger and k'waun williams and the colts just sit there?

Valuist
08-30-2016, 06:47 PM
:bang:

Funny thing is , I liked them to win 6 or 7 games with Gabbert as QB. I thought he'd win the job and do well with Kelly's system.

Kaepernick has been an obvious distraction.

I'm a big Chip Kelly fan. Will be interested to see how this shakes out.

I have to admit, if Kelly could win 10 games with Nick Foles and Bradford as QB for two separate years, he probably should've been given at least one more year by Philly.

Robert Fischer
08-30-2016, 07:20 PM
I have to admit, if Kelly could win 10 games with Nick Foles and Bradford as QB for two separate years, he probably should've been given at least one more year by Philly.

Hopefully he learned something from Philly.

Valuist
09-10-2016, 01:46 AM
Takeaway from the opener; Denver's run defense, the best in the NFL last year, was gashed by Carolina. 157 rush yards, with no run longer than 20 yards, shows it was just 4,5,6 yards every time they ran. Did losing Trevaythan make that big of a difference?

Secondbest
09-10-2016, 12:14 PM
54 of those yards were by Cam .103 by the backs. Bad but not terrible.

Valuist
09-10-2016, 02:11 PM
54 of those yards were by Cam .103 by the backs. Bad but not terrible.

But it was just steady. 4,5,6 yards every time. And Cam's runs aren't all broken plays. They have running plays for him. The Carolina O line was getting the best of them, when it came to run blocking.

FWIW, for the Bears/Texans game, expect a large contingent of Chicago fans. The Cubs are in Houston this weekend as well, with the usual large influx of Cub fans; many of which will find their way into Reliant Stadium.

Marshall Bennett
09-10-2016, 05:21 PM
Somewhat amazed Cowboys are even favored over the Giants. I seldom bet the first week, but this appears to me as a gift taking the Giants. :cool:

Secondbest
09-10-2016, 07:56 PM
But it was just steady. 4,5,6 yards every time. And Cam's runs aren't all broken plays. They have running plays for him. The Carolina O line was getting the best of them, when it came to run blocking.

FWIW, for the Bears/Texans game, expect a large contingent of Chicago fans. The Cubs are in Houston this weekend as well, with the usual large influx of Cub fans; many of which will find their way into Reliant Stadium.
How about the play where Stewart went around the end and Cam was leading and laid a shoulder on the end. Exciting player to watch.

Valuist
09-10-2016, 10:58 PM
How about the play where Stewart went around the end and Cam was leading and laid a shoulder on the end. Exciting player to watch.

Hopefully they (Denver) didn't f-k him up with all the cheap shots.

Robert Fischer
09-13-2016, 06:47 AM
win totals
San Francisco 49ers

OVER 5.5 +100

1 down, 4.5 wins to go.

Always that half of a win that is the hardest...

Pats Win.

jets/bills/fins all lost week 1.

The NFL hasn't changed drastically on me. That's always nice.

Week 1 observations
Steelers D is still a question mark. If the line and refs protect Ben, they are a superbowl level offense. We all know that.
Shazier is supposed to grow into a star this year. Left 3rd quarter w/ minor knee injury... Supposedly no big deal. Unorthodox Redskins left many unanswered questions.

Carolina had a good thing going, last year. They can beat up the weak teams, but they aren't going deep in the playoffs this year.

AFC WEST = nice potential blue-collar battle. Denver is no longer a deep playoff team. The Chiefs have become a tough team. The Raiders ran the football with pride, and surprised everyone. The Raiders 'culture' is different, have to wait and see if they can be consistent.

NFC East = Giants/Cowboys showcased the division leaders. Although it was extremely close, the Giants actually have a high ceiling if they can reach their potential on a consistent basis. Eli Manning had a couple drives where he controlled the flow of the game and ripped bad momentum to grinding halt, and then in favor of the Giants. It's 'OK' to put the ball and the tempo in his hands a bit more, and establish the passing game on a more consistent basis. If they can do that, their season can have a couple more wins than expected.
The Cowboys also have some adjustments. Their running game is piss poor. Jason Witten is a good Cowboy, hit him if he's open, but he's not going to be consistently moving his feet to free up for broken plays. Have to find another guy for that role. Still were a drive or two away from beating NY.

Valuist
09-13-2016, 02:10 PM
L.A. waited 20 years for that? They may have lost interest in the Rams before they've played a single regular season home game.

Secondbest
09-13-2016, 04:52 PM
L.A. waited 20 years for that? They may have lost interest in the Rams before they've played a single regular season home game.
Jeff Fischer strikes again.