PDA

View Full Version : Veterans For Gun Control

maddog42
06-22-2016, 09:18 AM
22 veterans kill themselves every day.

http://thehill.com/business-a-lobbying/283049-petraeus-mark-kelly-form-new-gun-control-group

Tom
06-22-2016, 09:24 AM
Not so much gun control needed here as it is a GD government that is totally incompetent and a potus who lies through his teeth about fixing the problem and a dem candidate who denies we have a problem.

I would advise ANYONE not to enlist, this country is not worth sacrificing for.

maddog42
06-22-2016, 09:47 AM
https://hillaryspeeches.com/tag/suicide/

Inner Dirt
06-22-2016, 10:05 AM
What is the point? Do they want a less messy suicide? Someone bent on killing themselves is going to do it, if you take away the gun they will find a way.
Drug overdose, hanging, jumping, poisoning, carbon monoxide, etc,etc.
Not saying our government doesn't need to do a better job helping vets, but a big percentage of those vet suicides are older guys with physical health problems, not young guys with PTSD. Poor healthcare is the issue, but lets blame the gun.

Tom
06-22-2016, 10:17 AM
How about we start taking care of our vets instead of trashing them?
This goes across party line - neither party is worth a crap when it come to our vets.

barn32
06-22-2016, 10:17 AM
What is the point? Do they want a less messy suicide? Someone bent on killing themselves is going to do it, if you take away the gun they will find a way... Poor healthcare is the issue, but lets blame the gun.You gun nut propagandists keep singing the same boring tune. "It's going to happen anyway, so why blame the gun."

The readily available gun makes it so much easier for people to kill themselves and for those bent on terror or murder to acquire a weapon. That's why.

But keep deluding yourself it's not the gun, when it is the goddamn gun.

MONEY
06-22-2016, 10:29 AM
Suicide rate by Country

Old Study
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/world/suiciderate.html

Japan has very strict gun laws. 19.4 per 100,000.
U.S.A. Guns everywhere. 10.1 per 100,000.

Newer Study
http://www.worldatlas.com/articles/countries-with-the-most-suicides-in-the-world.html

Wiki 2012
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_suicide_rate

Valuist
06-22-2016, 10:30 AM
You gun nut propagandists keep singing the same boring tune. "It's going to happen anyway, so why blame the gun."

The readily available gun makes it so much easier for people to kill themselves and for those bent on terror or murder to acquire a weapon. That's why.

And I suppose the knives and forks are to blame for America's obesity problem?
Wake up!

reckless
06-22-2016, 10:40 AM
How about we start taking care of our vets instead of trashing them?
This goes across party line - neither party is worth a crap when it come to our vets.

Our beloved and heroic vets could 'thank' the very 'horrible' Sen. John McCain for much of the problems facing our veterans today.

Many of the serious problems facing our vets today were problems 10-15-20 years ago as well. Washington did very little about correcting them then or now. They all gave lip service, especially the Republicans since the Democrats never deny their hatred for veterans and for the military in general.

But John McCain, war hero and respected Senator his entire career, had the political muscle, credibility and patriotic bi-partisan issue to truly help veterans and he did absolutely nothing for them over the years.

John McCain is today and has been in a position to help all vets and he abandoned them. Shame on him.

maddog42
06-22-2016, 10:49 AM
You gun nut propagandists keep singing the same boring tune. "It's going to happen anyway, so why blame the gun."

You are correct. Gun access can have a direct influence on suicide rate.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/09/upshot/gun-deaths-are-mostly-suicides.html?_r=0

Another occurred in Israel (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21034205), where members of the military had a high suicide rate. In 2006, the army stopped letting soldiers take their service weapons home on weekends. The suicide rate fell there, too, by 40 percent.

Robert Fischer
06-22-2016, 11:00 AM
People who want to kill themselves, should actually be in FAVOR of access to guns. By limiting guns he's trying to work against their best interests (they WANT to kill themselves and they want a reliable, legal, familiar, method).

Rather than forcing a need and a market for alternative methods of suicide, how about addressing the SUICIDE issue with this group instead?

Address the actual problem.

I lean more left than right when it comes to guns, but addressing suicide by making a method of suicide more difficult is not something that I agree with.

boxcar
06-22-2016, 11:08 AM
Wake up!

Yup...exactly right. This is the way libs try to connect their dots in this world. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

boxcar
06-22-2016, 11:09 AM
People who want to kill themselves, should actually be in FAVOR of access to guns. By limiting guns he's trying to work against their best interests (they WANT to kill themselves and they want a reliable, legal, familiar, method).

Rather than forcing a need and a market for alternative methods of suicide, how about addressing the SUICIDE issue with this group instead?

Address the actual problem.

I lean more left than right when it comes to guns, but addressing suicide by making a method of suicide more difficult is not something that I agree with.

But that is the lib's point. Suicide wouldn't be a problem if it weren't for guns. :rolleyes:

johnhannibalsmith
06-22-2016, 11:17 AM
^

(meant for Fischer's post and luckily I did preview for a change and see Boxie got in there in between us)

Advocating for gun control is a fine thing if you believe in it. While I'd have much more respect for those folks if they'd do it right and prove that there is a will and the public supports them and take it to a convention and go about it the way it was intended, it isn't as though I think that their advocacy is itself a wrong.

But in this context, I really dislike it. It does waaaaaay too much to minimize the actual root problem and one that is absolutely shameful. Our elected officials and other 'public servants' live high on the hog, thieving and stealing in fancy ties and getting the best of everything on the public's dime, but our veterans - men and women who actually did serve the public - are left to rot under the banner of a street facade known as VA. How we can come up with something like the ACA, TARP, and all the rest of these convoluted trillion dollar schemes but can't possibly devise a better system to take care of people that we are largely responsible for breaking in the first place is deplorable. Even if gun control would reduce the number of veteran suicides (it is an if), I for one would feel no satisfaction in celebrating victory on that front. It would be the emptiest sort, a political victory akin to cheering being the best in spring training. Let's aim much, much higher first and then deal with the guns.

delayjf
06-22-2016, 12:20 PM

I know I would have felt better had the Orlando Terrorist simply driven a truck full of fertilizer, diesel fuel, and bar soup into the bar instead of using a gun. :bang:

Seriously, talk of any kind of gun control is laughable without a secure border.

Inner Dirt
06-22-2016, 01:38 PM

So you are claiming without guns vets would not commit suicide? How about getting those that served our country and keep us free as good as or better treatment than an illegal immigrant when they need help. The way vets are treated in this country is despicable. Go ahead and keep blaming the gun.

PaceAdvantage
06-22-2016, 01:42 PM

But keep deluding yourself it's not the gun, when it is the goddamn gun.Yeah, we're the nuts...read what you just wrote, then read it again.

Politics trumps reality and common sense I suppose.

Yeah, it's the gun. It just goes right up to the temple and pulls its own trigger.

Yeah, it's the gun. Keep telling yourself that. Then wonder why people keep getting killed, blown up, keep killing themselves, even in places where it's almost impossible to get a gun...keep telling yourself it's the gun.

PaceAdvantage
06-22-2016, 01:43 PM
Suicide rate by Country

Old Study
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/world/suiciderate.html

Japan has very strict gun laws. 19.4 per 100,000.
U.S.A. Guns everywhere. 10.1 per 100,000.

Newer Study
http://www.worldatlas.com/articles/countries-with-the-most-suicides-in-the-world.html

Wiki 2012
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_suicide_rateNo man...it's the goddamn gun...the guy who posted just before your post said so! :bang: :rolleyes: :faint:

Why throw facts in the way of politically induced fairy tales?

Inner Dirt
06-22-2016, 01:44 PM
Wake up!

Pretty soon the mayor of New York City will try to pass a city ordinance that all forks have the middle two tines missing and spoons have a dime sized hole in the middle in all city restaurants to help curb over eating.

barahona44
06-22-2016, 01:58 PM
Pretty soon the mayor of New York City will try to pass a city ordinance that all forks have the middle two tines missing and spoons have a dime sized hole in the middle in all city restaurants to help curb over eating.
Don't give them any ideas. :)

Tom
06-22-2016, 02:03 PM
lS1VMALnIY0