PDA

View Full Version : Jerome Bettis Planning for Retirement

JustRalph
07-06-2004, 11:47 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1835367

Sounds like he might do one more year.........and retire to a life involved in Horse Racing and Gambling...........

Snippet:

Associated Press
PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh Steelers running back Jerome Bettis acknowledged Tuesday limited partnership in a company seeking to build a $500 million horse racing track and slots parlor.

Last week, the NFL said it wanted to talk to Bettis about his ties to the project.

Bettis, in a statement, said he appeared in Harrisburg last week with developer C.J. Betters as lawmakers were considering legalizing slot machines. He's a partner in Betters' Pittsburgh Development Group II, and sees the proposed track and parlor in Hays as a good business opportunity.

BillW
07-06-2004, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by JustRalph
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1835367

Sounds like he might do one more year.........and retire to a life involved in Horse Racing and Gambling...........

Snippet:

Associated Press
PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh Steelers running back Jerome Bettis acknowledged Tuesday limited partnership in a company seeking to build a $500 million horse racing track and slots parlor.

Last week, the NFL said it wanted to talk to Bettis about his ties to the project.

Bettis, in a statement, said he appeared in Harrisburg last week with developer C.J. Betters as lawmakers were considering legalizing slot machines. He's a partner in Betters' Pittsburgh Development Group II, and sees the proposed track and parlor in Hays as a good business opportunity.

Ralph,

The story in Pittsburgh will be that his group will be in competition with the Lemieux group that bill their success as necessary for the Penguins to survive. Even though there are many other groups, it will be interesting to see how much pressure is put on Bettis.

Bill

KingChas
07-07-2004, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by JustRalph ]

It's going to take one year until the slots will be ready.If it wasn't for that he should have retired now.Sorry Steeler fans but the DUCE(Staley) is in town now!

BillW
07-07-2004, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by KingChas
Originally posted by JustRalph ]

It's going to take one year until the slots will be ready.If it wasn't for that he should have retired now.Sorry Steeler fans but the DUCE(Staley) is in town now!

Staley is just someone to get by with for a year or two, not that big of deal.

KingChas
07-07-2004, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by BillW
Staley is just someone to get by with for a year or two, not that big of deal.

Sounds like a Cowboy Fan!

BillW
07-07-2004, 01:12 AM
Sounds like a Cowboy Fan!

No, I'm from Pittsburgh. No one there is expecting to get more than a serviceable back for a couple of years. He is only about 3 years younger than Bettis and not considered his long term replacement, but only expected to do better than Bettis is capable of in the next year or two.

Bill

Valuist
07-07-2004, 10:24 AM
Staley is finished. One productive season since 2000, and he didn't even average 4.0 ypc that season (2002) either. The Steelers have some rebuilding ahead of them. Tommy Maddux isn't the answer at QB.

Buddha
07-07-2004, 10:55 AM

I must not watch enough sportscenter, because I never knew the steelers signed him, and I am a steelers fan.

Originally posted by Valuist
Staley is finished. One productive season since 2000, and he didn't even average 4.0 ypc that season (2002) either. The Steelers have some rebuilding ahead of them. Tommy Maddux isn't the answer at QB.

They definitely have some rebuilding, and like you said, Maddox isnt the answer. I didnt think that he was a starting QB since they started him, and had one decent year, and done nothing. if they can get better protection on the line, it might be a little better. how long til you think Roethlisberger is ready?

KingChas
07-07-2004, 11:12 AM
Duce is more important than you think.He i'snt the greatest or flashiest running back youll ever see.But very versital.He's a clutch player that the Eagles should have held onto for a couple more years.I would prefer to see Bettis and him in the same backfeild, but I don't know how the Steelers plan to use them.

BillW
07-07-2004, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Valuist

I don't know about finished. Sadly I think he'll be an improvement in the backfield, although he probably has more to contribute to the passing game.

Maddox has enough left in him to bring Roethlisberger along for a year or so, but I imagine they will want Ben to be on the field by the middle of his second season. Grimm needs to kick some ass with that O-Line and solidify that play, or they have nothing.

Looks like we either need to move this to the Off Topic section or begin our posts with "I bet" to get back on the gambling topic. :D

Bill