PDA

View Full Version : Trump's VP

_______
06-19-2016, 06:54 PM
Earlier, I suggested that no one who wanted a national political career beyond 2016 would want to be associated with a poisonous general election candidate like Trump.

His short list is allegedly Chris Christie, Newt Gingrich, Jeff Sessions, and Mary Fallin.

So...

The unpopular governor from a state he has no chance of winning, a man so far removed from electoral politics that a losing vice presidential bid would be a step up for him, someone from a state so safe for Republican's that he could nominate Satan and still carry it, and a female no one outside of Tulsa has ever heard of (Sorry CJ).

I'm sticking with my original predication even though they haven't made the short list. It's William Miller or bust. Although he was vetted better than I imagine whatever loser winds up living under the sword of Damocles from Trump.

Clocker
06-19-2016, 07:11 PM
His short list is allegedly Chris Christie, Newt Gingrich, Jeff Sessions, and Mary Fallin.

I think Sarah Palin is still available. :p

_______
06-19-2016, 07:14 PM
I think Sarah Palin is still available. :p

I think even Trump has read her expiration date for national politics.

horses4courses
06-19-2016, 08:21 PM
I think even Trump has read her expiration date for national politics.

There's an open spot for her on "The Apprentice II" at a moment's notice.

It will be "must see TV" come 2017.
Trump and Palin on the show.
What's the over/under on her hearing "you're fired"? :lol:

Clocker
07-02-2016, 09:43 AM
It looks like Newt is making an all-out run for the VP race as he flip-flops on his long term position on trade.

Former Speaker Newt Gingrich, under consideration as Donald Trump’s running mate, is dropping his decades-long support of free trade deals and picking up Trump’s strongly protectionist position.

“I basically agree with Trump’s speech on trade,” Gingrich said in an email to POLITICO on Friday.

That represents a significant shift for Gingrich, who championed trade agreements while a congressional leader, and a move that would smooth over one of the biggest policy differences between the two men who could form the Republican ticket.

Trump delivered a scathing rebuke of America’s trade policies in Pennsylvania this week, calling the North American Free Trade Agreement, which Gingrich helped approve while in Congress, “the worst trade deal" in U.S. history and vowing to renegotiate it. Trump also said he would pull out of the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade pact negotiated by the Obama administration.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/07/newt-gingrich-trump-trade-vice-president-225035#ixzz4DG60Wgvl
Follow us: @politico on Twitter (http://ec.tynt.com/b/rw?id=bKDyiUp9mr3OhNab7jrHcU&u=politico) | Politico on Facebook (http://ec.tynt.com/b/rf?id=bKDyiUp9mr3OhNab7jrHcU&u=Politico)

barahona44
07-02-2016, 12:18 PM
It looks like Newt is making an all-out run for the VP race as he flip-flops on his long term position on trade.
Newt is probably the best choice, he has baggage but not really any more than Clinton , he knows D.C. inside and out, has name recognition and would give some creditibility to Trump. From his perspective it would put him back on the national stage, something he craves badly.

_______
07-02-2016, 12:46 PM
Newt is probably the best choice, he has baggage but not really any more than Clinton , he knows D.C. inside and out, has name recognition and would give some creditibility to Trump. From his perspective it would put him back on the national stage, something he craves badly.

The traditional role of a VP in a campaign is the attack dog while the top of the ticket stays above the fray. I could see Gingrich relishing that role but but wonder how willing Trump would be to relinquish it.

I don't know how much sway Gingrich still has in Georgia but assuming he still has some it might also shore up a state that now looks light pink, not deep red.

He is apparently not waiting for the convention any longer. Looks like the pick will be out this week.

Marshall Bennett
07-02-2016, 12:46 PM
There's an open spot for her on "The Apprentice II" at a moment's notice.

It will be "must see TV" come 2017.
Trump and Palin on the show.
What's the over/under on her hearing "you're fired"? :lol:
It probably won't really matter. Your dumbass will likely win just the your last dumbass did. The voting majority now in this country are liberal dumbasses like yourself so like I said, who he chooses is probably irrelevant.
I do like Newt, however. :)

zico20
07-02-2016, 02:17 PM
The traditional role of a VP in a campaign is the attack dog while the top of the ticket stays above the fray. I could see Gingrich relishing that role but but wonder how willing Trump would be to relinquish it.

I don't know how much sway Gingrich still has in Georgia but assuming he still has some it might also shore up a state that now looks light pink, not deep red.

He is apparently not waiting for the convention any longer. Looks like the pick will be out this week.

If Georgia is in play at all, then Trump is finished. Newt would be the best choice, IMO, for the VP slot. Since nobody seems to like either Hillary or Trump, likeability does not seem to come into play this election. Newt would help shore up the conservative base, which Trump needs to turn out in groves to win this election.

fast4522
07-02-2016, 09:07 PM
If Georgia is in play at all, then Trump is finished. Newt would be the best choice, IMO, for the VP slot. Since nobody seems to like either Hillary or Trump, likeability does not seem to come into play this election. Newt would help shore up the conservative base, which Trump needs to turn out in groves to win this election.

I like Newt Gingrich as one of the team, he might be Trump's pick for VP but I think he would have twice the legs as chief of staff. I could be very wrong but I think he will select younger as consideration two, with sharp politician as consideration one. Both considerations being met plus Trump has to actually like his VP pick, we will find out this month.

johnhannibalsmith
07-02-2016, 09:13 PM
I like Newt and I don't know why. I really don't agree with him on much but if I had to pick a guy from the usual cast of clowns to be my surrogate debating and clarifying and fighting for me, he's about as good as you can hope for usually. He's a pretty sharp guy and not the worst politician to blow through Washington in terms of statesman type qualities.

barn32
07-02-2016, 09:29 PM
I like Newt and I don't know why...Newt is brilliant, but he has a lot of baggage and he's hated by the left. You don't need two suitcases full of crap. One is enough.

Giuliani would be my choice, and he would help immensely with New York, but we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

[I don't think Giuliani would take it if offered though.]

fast4522
07-02-2016, 10:19 PM
Relax guys, he will piss in your cornflakes when the time is right.

zico20
07-02-2016, 10:33 PM
Newt is brilliant, but he has a lot of baggage and he's hated by the left. You don't need two suitcases full of crap. One is enough.

Giuliani would be my choice, and he would help immensely with New York, but we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Of course Giuliani would be your choice. He would be a disaster for Trump. An ultra conservative is what Trump needs. People need to get off of this Trump can win with a moderate or liberal Republican as his VP. He can't. Newt is his best bet among the people being considered. Hillary has a lot of baggage and that does not seem to bother the left. The conservatives won't be discouraged by Newt in the least.

fast4522
07-02-2016, 10:41 PM
Of course Giuliani would be your choice. He would be a disaster for Trump. An ultra conservative is what Trump needs. People need to get off of this Trump can win with a moderate or liberal Republican as his VP. He can't. Newt is his best bet among the people being considered. Hillary has a lot of baggage and that does not seem to bother the left. The conservatives won't be discouraged by Newt in the least.

I doubt Giuliani, Trump does not cotton to gents who bend the elbow. I am more curious who will be the second lady, not that is what is under consideration.

JustRalph
07-02-2016, 11:25 PM
Gingrich would work, but probably be a break even pick.

I say he has to go hard right, or moderate left with serious gravitas.

Personally I think there still lots of Reagan Dems still out there.

They would vote for Jim Webb and Webb just might take it to get back at the way he was treated in the early days of the race

_______
07-03-2016, 11:15 AM
Newt is brilliant, but he has a lot of baggage and he's hated by the left. You don't need two suitcases full of crap. One is enough.

Clinton has been holding a steady 20+ point lead in New York. Nobody who isn't delusional thinks Trump could win there.

Campaigns sometimes make noises about competing in states they have no intention to do so in order to draw their opponent into wasting resources. Anything you hear from Trump about New York falls into that category. Ditto Oregon and any other solid blue state.

The battle will be defending states that have recently leaned red but are at risk of turning blue. New York is so in the Clinton bag I doubt anyone there sees a TV ad from either campaign.

johnhannibalsmith
07-03-2016, 11:18 AM
... I doubt anyone there sees a TV ad from either campaign.

Finally a legit reason to want to live in NY.

_______
07-03-2016, 11:39 AM
Finally a legit reason to want to live in NY.

The airwaves will be polluted with plenty of political ads for local and state candidates. There is no escape.

Clocker
07-03-2016, 11:43 AM
There is no escape.

I got rid of cable years ago and don't miss it. My TV viewing now is pretty much limited to PBS and DVDs. I have not seen a political ad yet this cycle. :p

johnhannibalsmith
07-03-2016, 12:03 PM
The airwaves will be polluted with plenty of political ads for local and state candidates. There is no escape.

I knew it was too good to be true! :D

Robert Fischer
07-03-2016, 12:10 PM
Trump needs a female VP to combat Hilary's "1st woman president!" stuff

also could use improved relations with Fox News...

Megyn Kelly for VP?

Marshall Bennett
07-03-2016, 12:23 PM
Few of the millions that voted for Obama/Biden knew very little of either. Newt's probably hated as you say by those on the left with much of a brain, and actually follow politicians historically. That's a small percentage. Don't know how well this theory would play out to GOP candidates with the situation flip-flopped. My hope would be many of Sander's supporters would find Trump/Newt more robust than a stale old hag like Hillary, and one that's obviously a crook and untrustworthy. My only fear on the other hand is that many republican voters, and knowing they're smarter than your average democrat, might not be so forgiving of some of Trump's missteps and not vote at all. I can't even imagine these though voting for a scumbag like Hillary. As I said, they're not that stupid, as Obama supporters were. :)

_______
07-03-2016, 12:37 PM
Few of the millions that voted for Obama/Biden knew very little of either. Newt's probably hated as you say by those on the left with much of a brain, and actually follow politicians historically. That's a small percentage. Don't know how well this theory would play out to GOP candidates with the situation flip-flopped. My hope would be many of Sander's supporters would find Trump/Newt more robust than a stale old hag like Hillary, and one that's obviously a crook and untrustworthy. My only fear on the other hand is that many republican voters, and knowing they're smarter than your average democrat, might not be so forgiving of some of Trump's missteps and not vote at all. I can't even imagine these though voting for a scumbag like Hillary. As I said, they're not that stupid, as Obama supporters were. :)

The idea of a populist who unites the left and right anti-establishment wings of each party isn't an idea I would entirely dismiss as a future prospect. But Trump isn't that candidate that accomplishes it.

It's a sign of how desperate his prospects as a candidate are that it is seriously discussed among his supporters. Regardless of any economic outreach he makes to Bernie supporters, he remains deeply stained by his poisonous rhetoric toward minorities and women.

And while you might easily explain why those statements are unimportant to those on the right, they aren't so easily forgiven on the left.

Clocker
07-03-2016, 12:58 PM
You don't need two suitcases full of crap. One is enough.

I agree, one at the top of each ticket is enough. :p

ArlJim78
07-03-2016, 01:16 PM
I hope its someone not mentioned. Someone like Pence might help to unify the party. Someone like Webb might do that plus attract some of the saner elements from the other side. Need to look forward not back, which is what Gingrich represents.

barahona44
07-03-2016, 07:34 PM
Clinton has been holding a steady 20+ point lead in New York. Nobody who isn't delusional thinks Trump could win there.

Campaigns sometimes make noises about competing in states they have no intention to do so in order to draw their opponent into wasting resources. Anything you hear from Trump about New York falls into that category. Ditto Oregon and any other solid blue state.

The battle will be defending states that have recently leaned red but are at risk of turning blue. New York is so in the Clinton bag I doubt anyone there sees a TV ad from either campaiggn.
I live in Massachusetts and I haven't seen a Presedential election ad in years.

woodtoo
07-03-2016, 10:03 PM
Senator Jeff Sessions of Alabama :ThmbUp:

reckless
07-04-2016, 09:16 AM
Of those names often mentioned, I think Jeff Sessions makes the most sense.

As a true conservative and a Republican with testosterone, he won't put up with the silliness of the TV and print media. Even the GOP traitors in the House and Senate will go easy on him since Sessions can make them all look like the cowards and worms they truly are in a sentence or two.

Both Newt Gingrich and Chris Christie will be horrible choices for Trump. There are better jobs in the Trump Administration for them -- Chief of Staff (Newt) and Attorney General/Chief of Staff (Christie).

My first choice, and easily the best selection of them all has been and remains the great Texas governor Rick Perry. But, I don't think that will happen.

John Kasich, whom I personally dislike for a myriad of reasons, looks like the insider's pick from what I've read. He's an unlikeable worm and if he starts playing hard to get in public, similar to the dopey Paul Ryan, then I'd been very disappointed if Trump buys into that b-s and picks him. I will bet that he'll probably make a long, tiresome public speech saying Trump offered him the VP spot, but he's declining. That's the type of slug Kasich is and always will be.

lamboguy
07-04-2016, 09:22 AM
I live in Massachusetts and I haven't seen a Presedential election ad in years.i just saw 5 Hillary Clinton adds here on cable, i was watching Hallmark network and then saw them on Me TV.

but this is the very first presidential adds that i have seen since Bush-Dukakis. i have yet to see a Trump add yet, but he probably doesn't need that many of them to win this election.

Fager Fan
07-04-2016, 10:19 AM
The idea of a populist who unites the left and right anti-establishment wings of each party isn't an idea I would entirely dismiss as a future prospect. But Trump isn't that candidate that accomplishes it.

It's a sign of how desperate his prospects as a candidate are that it is seriously discussed among his supporters. Regardless of any economic outreach he makes to Bernie supporters, he remains deeply stained by his poisonous rhetoric toward minorities and women.

And while you might easily explain why those statements are unimportant to those on the right, they aren't so easily forgiven on the left.

That's because those of them on the left are stupid. Smart women and smart minorities are able to think deeper than worrying about Trump insulting Rosie O'Donnell or thinking tightening the borders is somehow racist.

You can't worry yourself too much with what stupid people think. You can't fix stupid.

johnhannibalsmith
07-04-2016, 10:42 AM
... Attorney General/Chief of Staff (Christie).

Yeah what a great choice for a "true conservative". A guy that can't wait to enforce federal statutes that have been unenforced in deference to state laws that were created directly by citizens by virtue of referendum. If anything screams conservative it is that guy. If he's a good fit for a "real conservative" maybe we can just get Holder back if it doesn't work out? More big government everywhere, please.

reckless
07-04-2016, 10:58 AM
Yeah what a great choice for a "true conservative". A guy that can't wait to enforce federal statutes that have been unenforced in deference to state laws that were created directly by citizens by virtue of referendum. If anything screams conservative it is that guy. If he's a good fit for a "real conservative" maybe we can just get Holder back if it doesn't work out? More big government everywhere, please.

You quoted me which specifically included the reference to Christie... no? Then you put 'true conservative' in quotes... no?

Did you think I was referring to Christie as being a "true conservative"?

The one I referred to as being a true conservative was Jeff Sessions. Maybe he isn't a true conservative in your eyes, I do not know. I think Sessions is, much more conservative than both Christie and Newt for that matter, imo.

Were you referring to Sessions or Christie?

barahona44
07-04-2016, 11:03 AM
i just saw 5 Hillary Clinton adds here on cable, i was watching Hallmark network and then saw them on Me TV.

but this is the very first presidential adds that i have seen since Bush-Dukakis. i have yet to see a Trump add yet, but he probably doesn't need that many of them to win this election.
If she's running ads in Massachusetts, to me this means she is NOT picking Warren as her VP.Just a way to prepare and appease the faithful with the future bad news

zico20
07-04-2016, 11:04 AM
Fox news this morning said that Senator Joni Ernst from Iowa is on Trumps short list. Now I like her a lot. Maybe she could be the one to help conservatives get on board the Trump bandwagon. :ThmbUp:

barahona44
07-04-2016, 11:11 AM
Fox news this morning said that Senator Joni Ernst from Iowa is on Trumps short list. Now I like her a lot. Maybe she could be the one to help conservatives get on board the Trump bandwagon. :ThmbUp:
If that happens, all men will be closing their legs when "The Hog Castrator" hits town. :D

_______
07-04-2016, 11:20 AM
If she's running ads in Massachusetts, to me this means she is NOT picking Warren as her VP.Just a way to prepare and appease the faithful with the future bad news

Ads in non-competitive states are directed at voters in other more competitive states in the same media market.

In this case, New Hampshire.

johnhannibalsmith
07-04-2016, 11:25 AM

Were you referring to Sessions or Christie?

Actually busting chops on Trump. I know how much you support him and go all-out with the flourishes when it comes to American hero conservatives, so was just having a little fun that the only thing close to conservative in the equation was Sessions and he's stuck being VP while Trump gets to be President and Christie either his main adviser or main policeman. It was stuck in there for a light jab without turning it into a long post but I see where I blew it by making it confusing without any setup. :)

Racetrack Playa
07-04-2016, 11:32 AM
I heard the Trumper picked a VP(Don Trump Jr.) months ago, wondering if that was bunk information.

Clocker
07-04-2016, 11:37 AM
I heard the Trumper picked a VP(Don Trump Jr.) months ago, wondering if that was bunk information.

It is bunk. To get the feminist vote, his daughter Ivanka will be his VP. :p

She is already gearing up for it.

The presumptive Republican nominee’s daughter, Ivanka, told the Sunday Times of London that her father’s support of feminism is “a big reason I am the woman I am today.”

“My father is a feminist,” the executive vice president of Trump Organization said. “He always told me and showed me that I could do anything I set my mind to if I married vision and passion with work ethic. He’s surrounded me with strong female role models who have done just that since I was a little girl.”

johnhannibalsmith
07-04-2016, 11:48 AM
It is bunk. To get the feminist vote, his daughter Ivanka will be his VP. :p

She is already gearing up for it.

I think she'd probably be as good as most anyone at the actual job of doing whatever it is that VP does these days once debates are over.

Really, I think that's about the only way to even come up with a pick for him. Who is going to be able to go on television (radio, internet, whatever) and answer questions in defense of Trump's current positions (have to add the qualifier) and debate whichever clown is going to be forced to do the same for Clinton. In that sense, the VP pick could be pretty important and the only reason why if I really cared what Trump did or didn't do, that of the names floated regularly I think that either Christie or Newt is probably the ideal person. They both have their own problems for sure, but they are also by far the best at thinking on their feet in a question-answer/debate setting and shredding whoever is in need of shredding.

Clocker
07-06-2016, 04:56 PM
Ernst said no thanks, as did Sen. Bob Corker (R-Tenn.).

http://hotair.com/archives/2016/07/06/ernst-corker-drop-out-of-veepstakes/ (http://hotair.com/archives/2016/07/06/ernst-corker-drop-out-of-veepstakes/)

HalvOnHorseracing
07-06-2016, 08:27 PM
Ernst said no thanks, as did Sen. Bob Corker (R-Tenn.).

http://hotair.com/archives/2016/07/06/ernst-corker-drop-out-of-veepstakes/ (http://hotair.com/archives/2016/07/06/ernst-corker-drop-out-of-veepstakes/)
One thing I know from experience is that once the candidate has zeroed in on the choice, he (or she I suppose) will give the non-choices time to put out statements withdrawing themselves from consideration. This is a win-win for both sides. The lottery losers get to say they weren't rejected, they withdrew, and it gives them status. The candidate gets to show he is thoughtfully considering a range of running mates.

To paraphrase Don Corleone talking to Michael, it's the name under consideration that doesn't withdraw that will be the running mate. Which would make it Trump/Tessio

barahona44
07-06-2016, 08:55 PM
One thing I know from experience is that once the candidate has zeroed in on the choice, he (or she I suppose) will give the non-choices time to put out statements withdrawing themselves from consideration. This is a win-win for both sides. The lottery losers get to say they weren't rejected, they withdrew, and it gives them status. The candidate gets to show he is thoughtfully considering a range of running mates.

To paraphrase Don Corleone talking to Michael, it's the name under consideration that doesn't withdraw that will be the running mate. Which would make it Trump/Tessio

Does that make Chris Christie Clemenza? :)

ArlJim78
07-06-2016, 08:59 PM
Does the runner-up get a free dinner at Louis' Restaurant in the Bronx?

_______
07-06-2016, 09:00 PM

People who have been seriously vetted aren't given more than a courtesy call in the hours before the announcement that they weren't chosen. Obama vetted Bayh, Sibelius, And Kaine before settling on Biden in 2008. Romney considered Christie, Pawlenty, Portman, and Rubio in addition to Ryan in 2012. NONE of those withdrew from consideration before the announcement.

The issue is that very few of those that want a national political career after 2016 are willing to board the Titanic after it's already hit an iceberg.

JustRalph
07-06-2016, 09:10 PM
http://www.anncoulter.com

Ann says Trump's about to blow it

Clocker
07-06-2016, 09:20 PM
Does that make Chris Christie Clemenza? :)

Must be. Can you imagine Christie ever NOT taking the cannoli?

ArlJim78
07-06-2016, 09:23 PM

as usual I thinks she's right on point.
Trump needs to finish the job of burying the old GOP.
I'm not sure about the people she mentioned, but I hope he continues to follow his instincts. i'd prefer that he pull from the private sector or the military.

horses4courses
07-06-2016, 09:27 PM

That horse is out of the barn already.
Still, tough to question her judgement on blowing
it.

johnhannibalsmith
07-06-2016, 09:38 PM
maybe it's my big monitor but that sure looks funny when 'it.' ends up on a line all by itself.

reckless
07-07-2016, 05:01 AM
Does the runner-up get a free dinner at Louie's Restaurant in the Bronx?

Ate there dozens of times before and after The Godfather movie. The veal was excellent and the 'toilet' did have the rope to open up a vent just like Abe Vigoda said.

Tom
07-07-2016, 12:40 PM
Ann Coulter has a good piece out about this.

She says Trump must not select any elected republican for VP. If he does, they will impeach him and install the banana-republican as potus and reclaim the party. Makes sense. No republicans have any honor or integrity.
When you turn on the kitchen light in the middle of the night and things scurry underneath the refrigerator.....those are republicans.

Spiderman
07-07-2016, 01:13 PM

Mike Tyson or Gary Busey would be fine complement to the Drunpf ticket.

reckless
07-07-2016, 04:44 PM
Must be. Can you imagine Christie ever NOT taking the cannoli?

If Christie was Clemenza there have been no cannoli to take because he would have eaten them on the way to the swamp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxZyFNVBRJY

Tom
07-07-2016, 09:50 PM
Mike Tyson or Gary Busey would be fine complement to the Drunpf ticket.

Projectile vomiting would be a fine complement to Hillary's ticket.

zico20
07-09-2016, 11:09 PM
Trump is seriously considering a retired general for his VP in Michael Flynn. He is a registered Democrat who had a falling out with Obama and has called on Hillary to drop out of the race. I don't think this is such a good idea.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/a-curveball-in-trump%E2%80%99s-veep-search-he%E2%80%99s-seriously-considering-a-retired-general/ar-BBu896i?li=BBnbcA1&ocid=mailsignout

pandy
07-09-2016, 11:20 PM
I don't understand why he would even consider Christie or Gingrich. Christie's popularity, and credibility, is gone. Gingrich is yesterday's news.

JustRalph
07-09-2016, 11:25 PM
I don't understand why he would even consider Christie or Gingrich. Christie's popularity, and credibility, is gone. Gingrich is yesterday's news.

Gingrich is an expert on crafting legislation and how the house runs. It signals he really wants to change laws. But he doesn't need to be vice prez to help. I hope he passes on Newt. He can still use his expertise otherwise. But they have to be elected first.

I love the General. He's a no nonsense guy. Debates would be interesting with Newt or the General

Fager Fan
07-10-2016, 01:21 AM
I wish he'd go to the private sector. That'd be a slam dunk if it's an impressive individual. But Trump's indicating he needs to "hire" someone who knows the political system. He's not wrong, but I don't think he needs to hire him as VP.

horses4courses
07-10-2016, 12:29 PM
Gingrich is an expert on crafting legislation and how the house runs. It signals he really wants to change laws. But he doesn't need to be vice prez to help. I hope he passes on Newt. He can still use his expertise otherwise. But they have to be elected first.

I love the General. He's a no nonsense guy. Debates would be interesting with Newt or the General

Just listening to "The General" on Stephanopoulos.
Good grief :eek:
Has as much political savvy as a bag of rocks.
Perfect fit for Trump. :ThmbUp:

Go ahead....make my day :lol:

Tom
07-10-2016, 12:56 PM
That is the idea....we have had enough political people.
They have proven to be totally worthless no matt what party there are in.

It is time to elect AMERICANS.

Very few of them in DC....very few.
Only one running for POTUS, and he is not a HAG. :lol:

Clocker
07-10-2016, 06:55 PM
'The General' is a pro-choice Democrat. How's that going to unify the 'establishment' base?

http://hotair.com/archives/2016/07/10/trump-vp-frontrunner-on-abortion-i-think-women-have-to-be-able-to-choose/

zico20
07-10-2016, 08:20 PM
'The General' is a pro-choice Democrat. How's that going to unify the 'establishment' base?

http://hotair.com/archives/2016/07/10/trump-vp-frontrunner-on-abortion-i-think-women-have-to-be-able-to-choose/

I think we have to wait for Reckless to come on here and tell us how this will benefit the chances for Trump winning the WH. I already said I do not like the pick if indeed it comes to fruition.

Clocker
07-10-2016, 08:33 PM
I think we have to wait for Reckless to come on here and tell us how this will benefit the chances for Trump winning the WH. I already said I do not like the pick if indeed it comes to fruition.

I can't imagine how it could hurt or help Trump. It gains him nothing, but should not cost him any of his base.

I can't envision any VP choice that would change any significant number of minds. The Trump campaign is still all about Trump.

It would present the strange situation of 4 Democrats running for the top 2 spots. :D

horses4courses
07-10-2016, 08:34 PM
3GJ4kM-Aqec

barn32
07-10-2016, 08:51 PM
Donald Trump's VP Selection has been leaked. Here is his statement to the press.

uKpX-5jQjQ0

barahona44
07-10-2016, 09:40 PM
Does anybody think a general who became a big wheel in the DOD is NOT a politician?

reckless
07-11-2016, 04:23 PM

I do not think Trump will select The General as his Veep. But, if he does, it still won't hurt him in November. Trump is a mortal lock to win in November and it is him that the people will be voting for, and little else matters.

Despite all the angst, the hand-wringing, the naval contemplation and the like from the silly and insignificant media, the VP pick has little to do in a person's decision on voting for the President.

Trump will win the 4 or so states that the GOP needs to win -- and basically lost these past two elections -- to win the White House, plain and simple. Trump easily wins Pennsylvania, Florida, Ohio and Michigan -- and it is over.

I repeat: Donald Trump is a mortal lock. It is over for all you America haters and Trump bashers.

johnhannibalsmith
07-11-2016, 06:07 PM
3GJ4kM-Aqec

I have to admit that every time I read "The General"... for a great low rate you can get on line go to the general and save some time goes on auto play in my head.

horses4courses
07-11-2016, 07:18 PM
I do not think Trump will select The General as his Veep. But, if he does, it still won't hurt him in November. Trump is a mortal lock to win in November and it is him that the people will be voting for, and little else matters.

Despite all the angst, the hand-wringing, the naval contemplation and the like from the silly and insignificant media, the VP pick has little to do in a person's decision on voting for the President.

Trump will win the 4 or so states that the GOP needs to win -- and basically lost these past two elections -- to win the White House, plain and simple. Trump easily wins Pennsylvania, Florida, Ohio and Michigan -- and it is over.

I repeat: Donald Trump is a mortal lock. It is over for all you America haters and Trump bashers.

Talk like this needs to be backed up.
Otherwise, your are merely the pussy I believe you are.

Hell, reck....with this mortal lock, you can triple your money and then some.

Bet it up, or stfu.

zico20
07-11-2016, 07:21 PM

No he is not. He is pro-life, according to him. He just did a major flip flop because conservatives are up in arms. Damn, it really is easy to change positions to further ones ambitions.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/07/11/trump-vp-short-lister-flynn-clarifies-abortion-stance-says-hes-pro-life.html

Clocker
07-11-2016, 07:39 PM
No he is not. He is pro-life, according to him. He just did a major flip flop because conservatives are up in arms. Damn, it really is easy to change positions to further ones ambitions.

And some people thought he wasn't a politician. :D

He should fit right in with Trump.

reckless
07-11-2016, 08:12 PM
Talk like this needs to be backed up.
Otherwise, your are merely the pussy I believe you are.

Hell, reck....with this mortal lock, you can triple your money and then some.

Bet it up, or stfu.

I don't do business with a-holes and you are the biggest a-hole in the world. And the dumbest. And the biggest racist too.

You had your chance to debate me on Brexit weeks ago. You were too stupid to even challenge my pre-Brexit posts so who is the pussy to use your vulgar term?

And my Brexit analysis was proven to be 100 per cent correct by the way.

And you want to bet me -- :lol: :lol: .

Stay in the play room with the other children, lads and face painters; that's where you belong.

dartman51
07-12-2016, 09:47 PM
Newt will be VP pick. Fox News ended their contract with the former Speaker, today. Trump is expected to name his pick, this week.

reckless
07-12-2016, 09:54 PM
Newt will be VP pick. Fox News ended their contract with the former Speaker, today. Trump is expected to name his pick, this week.

If it's Newt or not, that's still good work by you, dartman51, in connecting the dots. :ThmbUp:

Personally, I like Newt but he's a globalist and, in my opinion, more suited to be Chief of Staff than VP. Also, while both look great for their age the two candidates are each in their 70s.

barahona44
07-12-2016, 10:31 PM
If it's Newt or not, that's still good work by you, dartman51, in connecting the dots. :ThmbUp:

Personally, I like Newt but he's a globalist and, in my opinion, more suited to be Chief of Staff than VP. Also, while both look great for their age the two candidates are each in their 70s.
1. Name George H.W. Bush's vice president (Papa Bush , that is, #41)
2. Name any one of his three chiefs of staff.

Even If you knew the answer to the second Q, I'll bet Dan Quayle's name came to mind faster. And that is why Newt wants to be VP, even if better suited to be Chief of Staff

zico20
07-13-2016, 09:47 PM
Trump's VP announcement WILL be made this Friday at 11:00 AM eastern, according to Fox News.

zico20
07-13-2016, 10:08 PM
Watching Hannity right now. It looks like it is down to Gingrich and Pence. Both met with Trump today. Gingrich is talking and he basically said it was down to him and Pence. Trump earlier said he had it down to four but was really concentrating on just two, which is what Gingrich just said.

ArlJim78
07-13-2016, 10:22 PM
Of those two I really hope he goes with Pence. So much baggage with Newt.
but best of all would be if he was trolling the press all along and comes out with an exciting surprise pick. Why would the showman in him telegraph the choice so much if he wasn't planning a surprise?

JustRalph
07-13-2016, 10:45 PM
I don't get this fascination with Pence? He needs someone with either experience in government at the Congressional level or an out and out attack dog. Pence?

reckless
07-13-2016, 11:28 PM
I don't get this fascination with Pence? He needs someone with either experience in government at the Congressional level or an out and out attack dog. Pence?

I am with you about Pence. He's an amnesty phony and he has the backbone of over cooked linguini. I do not want Trump to pick him, but what do I know? Newt and Christie could very well be even worse options!

Maybe I should call The Donald and talk up my guy, Rick Perry, before it is too late. :lol: :lol:

ArlJim78
07-13-2016, 11:33 PM
Pence has 12 years in congress and three years as governor. How is that not experience in government?
There are possibly better choices for sure, but of the reported three finalists, Pence is the only one that I see actually adding to Trumps base of support and brings little risk. The others don't expand the tent and actually have liabilities that will come into play.

ArlJim78
07-13-2016, 11:39 PM
Oh please guys, the vice president serves the president, you don't have to examine and approve of every policy choice they have ever made. That's silly, they won't be making policy. The only task at hand is to win in November. Again Trump needs to expand his tent, teaming up with the closest ideological soulmate to Trump achieves nothing.

fast4522
07-14-2016, 12:24 AM
Oh please guys, the vice president serves the president, you don't have to examine and approve of every policy choice they have ever made. That's silly, they won't be making policy. The only task at hand is to win in November. Again Trump needs to expand his tent, teaming up with the closest ideological soulmate to Trump achieves nothing.

Exactly, I will credit Donald J. Trump for being sharp enough to have more than VP selected. I would not be surprised if his conversations with his short list includes chief of staff, AG, Surgeon General, and yes VP. And while we conservatives find fault whit Trump's short list, just think about the Pigsty the polyester nominee has to pick from. Oh yea, AG already vested.

JustRalph
07-14-2016, 01:54 AM
Pence has 12 years in congress and three years as governor. How is that not experience in government?
There are possibly better choices for sure, but of the reported three finalists, Pence is the only one that I see actually adding to Trumps base of support and brings little risk. The others don't expand the tent and actually have liabilities that will come into play.

Point taken, but I don't remember a single issue he championed in Congress?

I think Trump could do much better with an attack dog. A good VP candidate for the debates would be nice for a change

Remember Ryan lost to Joe Biden......🙈

barn32
07-14-2016, 02:43 AM
In 12 years Pence has never written a bill. Not one.

MSNBC just eviscerated him. Showed him freezing up at a press conference, etc.

There were a few other things. If Trump was watching that segment, he might have second thoughts about Pence.

Fager Fan
07-14-2016, 08:01 AM
I was hoping Trump would recruit a great businessman for this slot, but can understand that he thinks a politician is better in this spot. Of those being mentioned, Newt is heads and shoulders above the others. I'll be disappointed if he doesn't name Newt.

jk3521
07-14-2016, 08:02 AM

Isn't a newt a lizard ? :D
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2011/12/gingrich-congressional-ethics-scandal-explained-newt-inc

Tom
07-14-2016, 08:09 AM
DICK CHENEY!

barahona44
07-14-2016, 08:55 AM
DICK CHENEY!
No hunting trips!

Saratoga_Mike
07-14-2016, 09:04 AM
Point taken, but I don't remember a single issue he championed in Congress?

I think Trump could do much better with an attack dog. A good VP candidate for the debates would be nice for a change

Remember Ryan lost to Joe Biden......🙈

I agree with you on Pence, but does Trump need an attack dog? He is the attack dog, and he seems most happy in that role.

Question for you, what would Chris Christie (his name still floated out there) bring to the ticket? Sure he's an attack dog, but his approval ratings are south of 30% in his home state, and his unfavorables rival Trump and Hillary (both of whom carry the highest unfavorable ratings of any major general election candidates on record).

I don't think Ryan/Biden debates were relevant to the outcome of the last election. And I don't think Biden outdebated Ryan.

Tom
07-14-2016, 10:19 AM
Question for you, what would Chris Christie (his name still floated out there) bring to the ticket?

Donuts.
Lots of donuts.

JustRalph
07-14-2016, 11:01 AM
I was watching a newscast this morning and it showed Trump and Jeff Sessions together. Their body language was very revealing. These two guys like each other. Trump/Sessions would work

Tor Ekman
07-14-2016, 11:17 AM
I was watching a newscast this morning and it showed Trump and Jeff Sessions together. Their body language was very revealing. These two guys like each other. Trump/Sessions would work
I think Sessions is more of likely to assume the role of Trump's inside the Beltway Consigliere than to be his running mate

_______
07-14-2016, 01:18 PM
It's Pence.

Clocker
07-14-2016, 01:19 PM
It's Pence.

Must be. A couple of stories out there that Ivanka approved of him. :p

_______
07-14-2016, 01:24 PM
It makes sense for a rust belt strategy. It helps unite the evangelical wing behind Trump. He could have done worse.

classhandicapper
07-14-2016, 01:30 PM
Pence was probably his best choice, but they are clearly on different sides of the free trade issue.

Tor Ekman
07-14-2016, 01:35 PM
Pence was probably his best choice, but they are clearly on different sides of the free trade issue.They will resolve that by terming what they seek as being "fair trade"

Clocker
07-14-2016, 01:35 PM
Pence was probably his best choice, but they are clearly on different sides of the free trade issue.

If so, that's one big plus for Pence. Maybe he can talk some sense into Trump. Gingrich has been for free trade for his entire political career and then flip flopped on it when there was talk of the VP slot.

classhandicapper
07-14-2016, 06:37 PM
If so, that's one big plus for Pence. Maybe he can talk some sense into Trump. Gingrich has been for free trade for his entire political career and then flip flopped on it when there was talk of the VP slot.

I used to be an avid free trader, but I'm not anymore.

I think if your goal is to create the maximum amount of wealth globally, raise standards of living globally, and you are willing to take a very long term perspective, then free trade is the right way to go.

If you are worried about national interests in the shorter term and are already at the top of the food chain (like the US), then free trade is going to gut your work force, put a lot of US companies out of business, devastate your middle class, and create a ton of wealth for the shareholders of international companies.

So I think you have to somehow protect national interests. I'm not sure the best way to do it, but it might be to tax imports and offset that by encouraging investment in the US.

That way if a Chinese company wants to do business here, they are free to do so, as long as they build the factories here.

If a US company wants to avoid paying US taxes or find cheap labor in some decimated 3rd world country, they can still do it, but they are going to have to pay a tax.

Almost no republican or libertarian is going to agree with me on this, but I think the benefits of free trade are a 50-100 year thing. We'll all be dead by then and in the mean time we'll create 2 classes of people. It will be the people that own stock (rich) and everyone else (poor).

barn32
07-14-2016, 06:56 PM
DICK CHENEY!Dick Cheney and Donald Rumsfeld should be in prison for war crimes.

Clocker
07-14-2016, 07:43 PM
So I think you have to somehow protect national interests. I'm not sure the best way to do it, but it might be to tax imports and offset that by encouraging investment in the US.

That way if a Chinese company wants to do business here, they are free to do so, as long as they build the factories here.

If a US company wants to avoid paying US taxes or find cheap labor in some decimated 3rd world country, they can still do it, but they are going to have to pay a tax.

The world has changed, and simple concepts like tariffs to protect jobs don't work any more.

Trump makes a big deal about Ford building a new plant in Mexico, and says he will put big tariffs on cars from that plant coming into the US. That shows his lack of understanding of trade.

Ford is building that plant because labor costs are a lot lower there. But they are also building it because of trade and tariffs. Trump doesn't seem to realize that there are already high tariffs on a lot of stuff that we import from China, like steel. We have tariffs of up to 500% on Chinese steel, some of which is used to make cars.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/05/18/news/us-steel-china-trade/ (http://money.cnn.com/2016/05/18/news/us-steel-china-trade/)

With a plant in Mexico, Ford can buy that steel and other material without paying the US duty on it. And the regulatory costs and burdens are a lot less in Mexico than here.

And the cars Ford will build in Mexico are sub-compacts which sell poorly in the US, so few if any will be imported into this country. The cars to be built there are aimed at foreign markets. And because Mexico has much better free trade agreements with a lot more countries than the US, Ford will be much more competitive selling cars made in Mexico overseas than selling cars made in the US.

Tom
07-14-2016, 09:49 PM
Rush Limbaugh was seen leaving Trump tower earlier today.
He was not on the air.

fast4522
07-14-2016, 10:11 PM
Dick Cheney and Donald Rumsfeld should be in prison for war crimes.

Bullshit, fewer maggots are able to pick up arms because they do not walk the earth now. The truth is that NO one has figured out what to do today, like it or not keeping them screwed to the wall systematically Bush did. Others suggest nukes, I think screwed to the wall works better.

reckless
07-15-2016, 06:03 AM
Isn't a newt a lizard ? :D
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2011/12/gingrich-congressional-ethics-scandal-explained-newt-inc

jk... Newt has a lot of baggage in him, but this article is really weak if it was written to show us that he is a 'lizard'.

Hillary and Bill are far more despicable and criminal when it comes to fund raising and lizardry. :)

classhandicapper
07-15-2016, 09:04 AM
The world has changed, and simple concepts like tariffs to protect jobs don't work any more.

Trump makes a big deal about Ford building a new plant in Mexico, and says he will put big tariffs on cars from that plant coming into the US. That shows his lack of understanding of trade.

Ford is building that plant because labor costs are a lot lower there. But they are also building it because of trade and tariffs. Trump doesn't seem to realize that there are already high tariffs on a lot of stuff that we import from China, like steel. We have tariffs of up to 500% on Chinese steel, some of which is used to make cars.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/05/18/news/us-steel-china-trade/ (http://money.cnn.com/2016/05/18/news/us-steel-china-trade/)

With a plant in Mexico, Ford can buy that steel and other material without paying the US duty on it. And the regulatory costs and burdens are a lot less in Mexico than here.

And the cars Ford will build in Mexico are sub-compacts which sell poorly in the US, so few if any will be imported into this country. The cars to be built there are aimed at foreign markets. And because Mexico has much better free trade agreements with a lot more countries than the US, Ford will be much more competitive selling cars made in Mexico overseas than selling cars made in the US.

It's all very complex, but the bottom line is that millions of middle class workers have lost good jobs (and continue to do so) or had to lower their standard of living because the new job doesn't pay as much. At the same time, the guy that owns shares in the company (which in many cases is a guy like me) cleans up on the rising stock price. The idea is not to create millions of new middle class citizens in some foreign country AT OUR WORKERS EXPENSE (which has been the case). The idea is for it to be mutually beneficial to all in a balanced way. But that "mutual" part may still be 50 years away after workers having been on the short end of the stick for the 30 years.

The net benefit may be mutual, but it's not balanced. US shareholders are getting incredibly rich, we are creating a middle class in foreign countries, but US workers have been decimated.

tucker6
07-15-2016, 09:19 AM
Anyone who believes Trump of all people doesn't understand trade isn't searching hard enough for his motivations in saying the things he says. I always assume that if someone intelligent says something stupid, they have a reason for doing so beyond my current comprehension.

Clocker
07-15-2016, 09:22 AM
It's all very complex, but the bottom line is that millions of middle class workers have lost good jobs (and continue to do so) or had to lower their standard of living because the new job doesn't pay as much.

American manufacturing output is at an all time high. But it has become much more efficient and uses a lot less labor that it used to. Adidas recently announced that it would be phasing out a lot of shoe production in Asia and building new plants in Germany and the US. The new plants will be pretty much totally automated, with no humans actually making shoes. The work will all be done by robots.

We are moving from a production job economy to a service job economy. The old time good jobs aren't coming back no matter where the production is done and no matter how we try to protect them with laws and tariffs.

Tom
07-15-2016, 09:53 AM
We cannot survive as a service economy.

Screw tarrifs - BAN the crap and FORCE us make what we need here.

Clocker
07-15-2016, 11:43 AM
Trump announces Pence as VP.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/753965070003109888 (https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/753965070003109888)

johnhannibalsmith
07-15-2016, 11:51 AM
yay

lamboguy
07-15-2016, 11:59 AM
great selection. this will almost insure a landslide victory for Trump, but so far no needle mover in the betting line. probably this selection was already baked in. Trump is still a $280 underdog.

ebcorde
07-15-2016, 12:24 PM
Hillary Clinton 2/5
Donald Trump 9/4

Talk is cheap Put up your money. I want better odds

tucker6
07-15-2016, 12:29 PM
Looks like brexit numbers as the early returns came in.

ebcorde
07-15-2016, 12:37 PM

coming from 20+ years of US based Manufacturing, we knew it in the 80's when Sato the Jap Value added reseller would copy all our designs at the copier smh, and we never heard from them again. The same happened in 2000's with China. They were still able to steal our software with the eprom chip enabled for security.

We had 3 shifts going since the 70's, surface-mount technology, we made our own mico boards, then we all got laid off , production went to Mexico, Board production went to Canada, Most of Engineering went to my co-workers in Geneva, But The CORPORATE MANAGERS in the US kept their jobs. I only survived because I wrote code.

elysiantraveller
07-15-2016, 12:50 PM

The idea that the Government can control the market is a very liberal notion...

classhandicapper
07-15-2016, 12:51 PM
American manufacturing output is at an all time high. But it has become much more efficient and uses a lot less labor that it used to. Adidas recently announced that it would be phasing out a lot of shoe production in Asia and building new plants in Germany and the US. The new plants will be pretty much totally automated, with no humans actually making shoes. The work will all be done by robots.

We are moving from a production job economy to a service job economy. The old time good jobs aren't coming back no matter where the production is done and no matter how we try to protect them with laws and tariffs.

I agree that the world is changing. It always does. I'm simply suggesting that we build the robots and machines in the US and then use them in US plants. If someone wants access to our market (US or foreign), they have to do the work and pay taxes here. This is a revolutionary position for me to take as a libertarian, but I've seen enough to know that I'll be dead by the time free trade works equally well for almost everyone (which it will). I'd like to see standards of living rise in China, Vietnam, Latin America etc... but not at the expense of US workers and the quality of life here. Who cares if many of us can get cheaper clothes at Walmart when millions of formerly employed people are on food stamps.

tucker6
07-15-2016, 01:12 PM
The idea that the Government can control the market is a very liberal notion...
you're alive!

Tom
07-15-2016, 01:45 PM
There is nothing we need that we cannot grow, mine, make or assemble.
All that seems to be lacking is the desire to do it.

If GM wants to build cars in Mexico, let them sell them there.

mostpost
07-15-2016, 02:01 PM
great selection. this will almost insure a landslide victory for Trump, but so far no needle mover in the betting line. probably this selection was already baked in. Trump is still a $280 underdog.
This is a great pick. For the Democrats.
Pence is even more misogynist than Trump. He is even more homophobic than Trump. Trump already has the misogynist and homophobic vote. This selection will only serve to put women and gay voters more firmly in the Hillary camp.

Clocker
07-15-2016, 02:11 PM
by the time free trade works equally well for almost everyone

Nothing works equally well for everyone. Tariffs help some people at the expense of others. Free trade helps different people. We have high duties and import restrictions on sugar. Americans pay twice the world market price for sugar, and the sugar beet growers are fat and happy. And all the big sugar users, like cookie and candy makers, moved to Mexico.

Trump supporters have acknowledged that his proposed tariffs on China would increase the cost of basics consumer goods by 10-15%. That affects everyone. How many new jobs would it create? Probably few if any. If we could effectively stop the majority of Chinese imports, those products would be supplied by the next cheapest provider, Vietnam, India, where ever.

Tariffs are paid by the American consumer. If we blocked everything, the higher costs of production here would be paid by the American consumer.

elysiantraveller
07-15-2016, 02:32 PM
you're alive!

Busy in the world of mortgages lately...

tucker6
07-15-2016, 02:41 PM
Busy in the world of mortgages lately...
My advice is to quit your day job. :D

elysiantraveller
07-15-2016, 03:59 PM
My advice is to quit your day job. :D

LOL not right now... Housing market going nuts.

Anywho...

This pick makes no sense... its hard for Trump to pick a Republican because he really isn't one.

I guess Pence being something of a "lightweight" and "soft-spoken" person yet still fairly evangelically conservative is an attempt to bring back some of the now disenfranchised GOP voter bloc.

Clocker
07-15-2016, 04:17 PM
This pick makes no sense... its hard for Trump to pick a Republican because he really isn't one.

I guess Pence being something of a "lightweight" and "soft-spoken" person yet still fairly evangelically conservative is an attempt to bring back some of the now disenfranchised GOP voter bloc.

Before this was announced, Jesse Ventura said that Trump should not pick an establishment Republican. He should pick someone who is more despicable than his detractors believe he is for VP as insurance against assassination. When he joked about running for president some years ago, he said that his VP would be Charles Barkley for that reason. :D

classhandicapper
07-15-2016, 04:34 PM
Nothing works equally well for everyone. Tariffs help some people at the expense of others. Free trade helps different people. We have high duties and import restrictions on sugar. Americans pay twice the world market price for sugar, and the sugar beet growers are fat and happy. And all the big sugar users, like cookie and candy makers, moved to Mexico.

Trump supporters have acknowledged that his proposed tariffs on China would increase the cost of basics consumer goods by 10-15%. That affects everyone. How many new jobs would it create? Probably few if any. If we could effectively stop the majority of Chinese imports, those products would be supplied by the next cheapest provider, Vietnam, India, where ever.

Tariffs are paid by the American consumer. If we blocked everything, the higher costs of production here would be paid by the American consumer.

You can't single out China. You'd have to put tariffs on all imports.

The idea would be to force US and foreign investment to occur in the U.S. No doubt we would have to pay more for some things that would be manufactured here or that would be imported with tariffs. But that's the tradeoff for having more investment done in the US (and the jobs that come with it).

The economics of free trade are obvious. I've been a free trader ever since communism fell. I remained a free trader even though I thought Ross Perot was right about the "great sucking sound".

I was right about the economics, but now I know I was wrong about the timing.

I thought the benefits would accrue to most of America fairly quickly. In the end it wasn't very smart. The short term downside of it all happened to too many too quickly and the short term upside accrued mostly to a few. The rest of the upside is too far off. Anyway, we aren't going to agree on this. I know I am way off the reservation on this one. My girlfriend (educated in economics, accounting, and investment) thinks I've been body snatched. :lol:

Clocker
07-15-2016, 04:57 PM
You can't single out China. You'd have to put tariffs on all imports.

I'm not, Trump is.

It's all academic any way. If Trump is elected, the president can't impose tariffs and Congress will never pass what he wants.

JustRalph
07-15-2016, 05:13 PM
I'm not, Trump is.

It's all academic any way. If Trump is elected, the president can't impose tariffs and Congress will never pass what he wants.

They might find something in the middle, like a push towards cutting the corporate tax......etc....

delayjf
07-15-2016, 05:16 PM
LOL not right now... Housing market going nuts.

Curious, are you seeing a ton of money from oversea's investing in your neck of the woods. That's what we are seeing here in Orange County.

barahona44
07-15-2016, 05:41 PM
There is nothing we need that we cannot grow, mine, make or assemble.
All that seems to be lacking is the desire to do it.

If GM wants to build cars in Mexico, let them sell them there.
If you're willing to pay the extra freight, so be it.But research has shown that once the price gap is 10 to 15 % less, most American people buy foreign, even when they know country of origin.

johnhannibalsmith
07-16-2016, 10:50 AM
When Indiana Gov. Mike Pence 's plane touched down in New York Thursday, his naming as Donald Trump 's vice presidential pick appeared locked up.

However, NBC News reports that Trump continued to deliberate late into the evening, waffling over his running mate selection up until midnight and asking aides if he could change his pick.

:lol:

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/trump-reportedly-calling-people-midnight-190030574.html

Fager Fan
07-16-2016, 11:21 AM
When Indiana Gov. Mike Pence 's plane touched down in New York Thursday, his naming as Donald Trump 's vice presidential pick appeared locked up.

However, NBC News reports that Trump continued to deliberate late into the evening, waffling over his running mate selection up until midnight and asking aides if he could change his pick.

:lol:

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/trump-reportedly-calling-people-midnight-190030574.html

Others report that waffling wasn't true, but he wasn't pleased with the leak. Maybe the leak gave him cause for concern though.

Who really thinks any of his advisors that he would've asked would tell the press? Not likely at all.

Clocker
07-16-2016, 02:01 PM
In formally introducing Pence as his running mate today, Trump call people who support NAFTA 'stupid'.

Pence, a long time NAFTA supporter, has now flip-flopped on free trade and wants his new boss to negotiate better deals for the US.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/288023-trump-pence-as-vp-will-unify-republican-party

Tom
07-16-2016, 02:51 PM
Flip flopping is not that great, cut compare it to any thing any bananacrat does and it looks pretty mild.

If Trump et al accomplish absolutely nothing, it will be far better than anything Hillary and other hit squad do.

Clocker
07-16-2016, 03:12 PM
Flip flopping is not that great, cut compare it to any thing any bananacrat does and it looks pretty mild.

If Trump et al accomplish absolutely nothing, it will be far better than anything Hillary and other hit squad do.

I expect it, I just find it entertaining to watch the flip-floppers tap dance around the issues and try to pretend politics had nothing to do with it. Like Hillary flip-flopping on trade to try to rope in the Bernie supporters who hate her.

Pence has also flip-flopped on Trump's muslim ban, which he once called offensive and unconstitutional.

I'm still trying to decide whether Trump or Hillary is the lesser of two evils in this race. I'm thinking Trump, because he is less likely to get anything accomplished. Hillary, with Bill's guidance, knows the system and how to cheat to get things done. Trump is still a rookie at the very top level.

ArlJim78
07-16-2016, 03:14 PM
In formally introducing Pence as his running mate today, Trump call people who support NAFTA 'stupid'.

Pence, a long time NAFTA supporter, has now flip-flopped on free trade and wants his new boss to negotiate better deals for the US.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/288023-trump-pence-as-vp-will-unify-republican-party
It's silly to focus on this minor stuff. Trump simply wants better deals, to look out for US jobs, to not get taken to the cleaners as he says.
In my industry I've seen 80% of it move to Mexico since NAFTA, I'm not sure how that is a big boon for us. So could it have been a better agreement? I think so.

Both of these guys are looking at the big picture, saving the country from a Hillary Clinton presidency. I respect Pence for that and don't see any flip flop on his part.

letswastemoney
07-16-2016, 04:43 PM
Hillary knows how to sell our country to foreign interests. She will certainly get things done, but they may not help us.

Fager Fan
07-16-2016, 06:37 PM
I've never understood the charge of flip flopping without looking at the reason why. I know some really smart people who thought NAFTA was great originally and now look at it differently and admit they were wrong. All politicians are going to be wrong occasionally and change their minds. That's ok. I prefer them changing course than continue doing what they now think is wrong.

What I don't want to see is political pandering. There's a big difference.

zico20
07-16-2016, 08:44 PM
I've never understood the charge of flip flopping without looking at the reason why. I know some really smart people who thought NAFTA was great originally and now look at it differently and admit they were wrong. All politicians are going to be wrong occasionally and change their minds. That's ok. I prefer them changing course than continue doing what they now think is wrong.

What I don't want to see is political pandering. There's a big difference.

Politicians never admit they are wrong. They re-evaluate and then change their position based on current data, which was inaccurate at the time they originally voted for or against a bill. ;)

Clocker
07-16-2016, 08:58 PM
Politicians never admit they are wrong. They re-evaluate and then change their position based on current data, which was inaccurate at the time they originally voted for or against a bill. ;)

Pense said in December that Trump's Muslim policy was offensive and unconstitutional. A day after getting the nod for running mate, he flip-flops:

The newly minted vice presidential candidate said he has talked with Trump about the issue and realized changes must be made to produce different and better results.

Praise Jesus, I have seen the light. :rolleyes:

zico20
07-16-2016, 10:21 PM
Pense said in December that Trump's Muslim policy was offensive and unconstitutional. A day after getting the nod for running mate, he flip-flops:

Praise Jesus, I have seen the light. :rolleyes:

But did he actually say he was wrong?

Clocker
07-16-2016, 10:59 PM
But did he actually say he was wrong?

A politician say that he was wrong? :D

Clocker
07-17-2016, 02:44 PM
Gossip from Cleveland:

New Jersey governor Chris Christie was reportedly enraged he didn't earn the VP spot, according to a top Trump campaign official.

While minding my own business at the Starbucks inside the Westin hotel this morning, I saw a man engage Trump campaign manager Paul Manafort in conversation about the VP selection process. The man, whom I couldn't identify, suggested that Pence was a smart pick and Gingrich would've been a disaster.

"Christie was livid, right?" the man said at one point. "Yeah," Manafort replied.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/article/2003351/ (http://www.weeklystandard.com/article/2003351/)

horses4courses
07-17-2016, 02:48 PM
Gossip from Cleveland:

http://www.weeklystandard.com/article/2003351/ (http://www.weeklystandard.com/article/2003351/)

There were a few job applicants pissed off
when they were turned down for the Titanic .

Didn't take long for them to get over it, though.

Clocker
07-17-2016, 03:28 PM
There were a few job applicants pissed off
when they were turned down for the Titanic .

Didn't take long for them to get over it, though.

If Trump loses, the GOP will move back toward the establishment base, and the running mate would have a big head start on the rest of the field in 2020.

horses4courses
07-17-2016, 03:34 PM
If Trump loses, the GOP will move back toward the establishment base, and the running mate would have a big head start on the rest of the field in 2020.

Fair point.

_______
07-17-2016, 05:35 PM

I'm not sure this is true, unless you consider Ted Cruz part of that establishment. One of the reasons I really didn't want to see Trump as the nominee was the likelihood that the meme in 2020 will be that we didn't nominate a "real" conservative in 2016 and that is why we lost.

So, a repeat of the base insisting on an unelectable candidate.

Pence has shown no interest in national office before this and although he represents the least worst choice for Trump you'd have to see him perform remarkably well over the next 4 months to displace Cruz as the favorite on the non-establishment track in 2020.

horses4courses
07-17-2016, 05:55 PM
As the lovely Julie Andrews sang so nicely:

"Feed the birds, Trump/Pence a bag........"

Clocker
07-17-2016, 06:03 PM
Pence has shown no interest in national office before this and although he represents the least worst choice for Trump you'd have to see him perform remarkably well over the next 4 months to displace Cruz as the favorite on the non-establishment track in 2020.

If Trump loses, the GOP will shift back toward establishment and Pence is pure establishment as far as I can see.

There's a long article at Politico titled 'Did Trump Just Make A Huge Mistake' that looks at Pence's political history.

“He’s wanted to be president since he was 18,” a high-level Indiana Republican told me. Alums of former Gov. Mitch Daniels administration privately deride Pence as a pol without the vision or leadership of their former boss, and have long suspected Pence decamped from D.C. back to Indiana not because he wanted to run the state, but because he saw it as a quicker route to the White House.
Read more: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/07/mike-pence-vp-donald-trump-indiana-214054#ixzz4Ehoa2Lu7 (http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/07/mike-pence-vp-donald-trump-indiana-214054#ixzz4Ehoa2Lu7)

_______
07-17-2016, 06:16 PM
If Trump loses, the GOP will shift back toward establishment and Pence is pure establishment as far as I can see.

There's a long article at Politico titled 'Did Trump Just Make A Huge Mistake' that looks at Pence's political history.

Interesting. It's hard for me to see evangelicals abandoning Cruz for Pence. And while Pence may have had more ambition than I credited him with, I would still wager on an absolute pitbull like Cruz outmaneuvering him for that cohort and Paul Ryan having the inside track on establishment.

What is Pence going to be doing after November? He gave up the run for reelection to join Trump. He'll be out of office and off the radar for at least two years. He'll also have some baggage from his current flip flops and subsequent re-flips following the loss along with God knows what other nonsense Trump blurts out over the next 4 months he'll have to explain defending for the following 4 years.

reckless
07-17-2016, 10:00 PM
Interesting. It's hard for me to see evangelicals abandoning Cruz for Pence. And while Pence may have had more ambition than I credited him with, I would still wager on an absolute pitbull like Cruz outmaneuvering him for that cohort and Paul Ryan having the inside track on establishment.

What is Pence going to be doing after November? He gave up the run for reelection to join Trump. He'll be out of office and off the radar for at least two years. He'll also have some baggage from his current flip flops and subsequent re-flips following the loss along with God knows what other nonsense Trump blurts out over the next 4 months he'll have to explain defending for the following 4 years.

The evangelicals abandoned Ted Cruz -- not for Mike Pence -- but for Donald Trump. Have you people forgotten the results of some of these GOP primaries already?

Cruz won the insignificant Iowa caucus by a small margin over Trump despite Cruz's strong evangelical support. And Cruz only won there because of political skulduggery, such as lying to evangelicals about Ben Carson ending his campaign.

Cruz later got swamped by Trump in South Carolina -- where evangelicals have a much stronger voice. Ted Cruz's career as a national politician is finished. Trump beat him at the ballot box and the every day citizen beat him today because Cruz has shown America that he's a weasel, an insider and dirty, lying phony.

Trump also creamed Cruz in the SEC primaries -- Florida, North Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi and again, South Carolina. This was supposed to be Cruz's sweet spot because of the strong evangelical presence and Trump had New York values. :lol: :lol:

Paul Ryan even has an outside chance of losing his seat in the GOP primary vs. Paul Nehlen next month. Nehlen has a tough road ahead, of course, but Ryan has proven to be a fool, a globalist, is pro-TPP and a simple two-bit liar. It would be beautiful if Nehlen does to Ryan what David Brat did to Eric Cantor a few years ago.

What's Pence going to do after the November election?

Mike Pence and the Missus are going to pick out towels, shower curtains, cookware and simply settle in when they take up residence in the Admiral's House on 34th Street and Mass Avenue where the US vice-presidents live.

barahona44
07-18-2016, 01:05 AM
Losing vice presidential candidates usually go nowhere fast,FDR was the only one to ever get elected president and Walter Mondale, Bob Dole and the immortal Rufus King (2 time losing VP, who was defeated by James Monroe in1816) were the only other losing VP candidates to be nominated for President.

classhandicapper
07-18-2016, 12:23 PM

I think they are better off being positioned exactly where Trump has them positioned, but with less divisive and insulting rhetoric.

They have to bring in the democrats among policemen, firemen, manufacturers, military etc... That will help offset some of the demographics until the immigrants start moving up the economic ladder and slowly inch to the right.

letswastemoney
07-18-2016, 03:25 PM
The issues Trump has brought up on trade and immigration will never go away, even if he loses.

barahona44
07-18-2016, 05:27 PM
I think they are better off being positioned exactly where Trump has them positioned, but with less divisive and insulting rhetoric.

They have to bring in the democrats among policemen, firemen, manufacturers, military etc... That will help offset some of the demographics until the immigrants start moving up the economic ladder and slowly inch to the right.
"Hispanics are natural born Republicans;they just don't know it yet"

Ronald Reagan

zico20
07-18-2016, 07:49 PM
"Hispanics are natural born Republicans;they just don't know it yet"

Ronald Reagan

And they never will. Democrats have them brainwashed.

classhandicapper
07-18-2016, 08:00 PM
And they never will. Democrats have them brainwashed.

They will, but it takes time. When my grandparents came off the boat from Sicily to Ellis island with other relatives, almost all of them were democrats (though in those days the democrats weren't anything like the democrats of today). If you look at my generation, they are way more conservative. If you look at the generation after me, it's more mixed again, but that's because they haven't overcome their college brainwashing and actually lived yet. ;)

pandy
07-19-2016, 02:05 PM

Easier said than done. The Republicans already have the military, and probably most non union manufacturers, but police and firemen are like school teachers. They vote for democrats because democrats gave them the big pensions and top shelf health care. The democratic party, especially in individual northern states, and California, sold out the taxpayers, the working class, and the younger generations while essentially buying the lifetime votes of union and government-paid workers with unsustainable pensions and benefits.

It was all about staying in power. They never cared about the cost or the damage it did to the average person who works in the private sector.

classhandicapper
07-19-2016, 02:08 PM
Easier said than done. The Republicans already have the military, and probably most non union manufacturers, but police and firemen are like school teachers. They vote for democrats because democrats gave them the big pensions and top shelf health care. The democratic party, especially in individual northern states, and California, sold out the taxpayers, the working class, and the younger generations while essentially buying the lifetime votes of union and government-paid workers with unsustainable pensions and benefits.

It was all about staying in power. They never cared about the cost or the damage it did to the average person who works in the private sector.

Hard to disagree with that.

barn32
07-26-2016, 02:20 PM
I'm a little late to the party, but I'm watching Pence's acceptance speech right now. Not bad, not bad at all.

He's a good speaker.

Good choice.

Clocker
07-26-2016, 02:25 PM
The Republicans already have the military, and probably most non union manufacturers, but police and firemen are like school teachers. They vote for democrats because democrats gave them the big pensions and top shelf health care.

Police in particular are not happy with Democratic support for BLM and to accusations by the left of racism in police treatment of minorities. I'd guess a lot of police resentment carries over to fire fighters also.

woodtoo
07-26-2016, 03:34 PM
Just wait till they wheel out all the BLM victims at the convention.
I think a lot of law enforcement people will have their eyes opened.
As well they should.

ebcorde
07-26-2016, 06:48 PM
Police in particular are not happy with Democratic support for BLM and to accusations by the left of racism in police treatment of minorities. I'd guess a lot of police resentment carries over to fire fighters also.

Then should not have shot the Handicapped worker with an attempt to shoot a handicapped person because he was playing with a toy train. Then after they shoot guy , they let him bleed out. Next day they say they shot the wrong guy. .... so then why was he handcuffed?

Nah, I think BLM will stay around for a long time.

BLM "for what it's worth" Buffalo Springfield

JustRalph
07-26-2016, 10:09 PM
Just wait till they wheel out all the BLM victims at the convention.
I think a lot of law enforcement people will have their eyes opened.
As well they should.

You want to clear this up? Not sure what you're saying here?

Tom
07-26-2016, 10:23 PM
Nah, I think BLM will stay around for a long time.

Like a STD.