PDA

View Full Version : Monmouth Race 3

WP1981
06-17-2016, 02:05 PM
That start from the 9 is called a "refusal to race" and is refunded every time I see it internationally. Matter of fact, horse players on twitter explode if that is not announced with 5 minutes of the race by the book makers.

Thanks Monmouth. No more of my cash for you.

andtheyreoff
06-17-2016, 02:44 PM
In most jurisdictions, the rules state that if the horse refuses through his or her own actions, the horse is a starter. The only way the horse is a non-starter is if there was interference from the starting attendant, or if there was some sort of gate malfunction.

Because this was a steeplechase race, there was neither a starting gate nor a starting attendant, therefore, any problems a horse had at the start was the horse's own responsibility. The 5 (not the 9) had every opportunity to break cleanly, but didn't. As such, the horse should not be declared a non-starter. He created his own problem.

If you're going to stop betting Monmouth because of one errant horse in a steeplechase race, that would be a bit of an overreaction.

biggestal99
06-17-2016, 03:03 PM
Because this was a steeplechase race, there was neither a starting gate nor a starting attendant, therefore, any problems a horse had at the start was the horse's own responsibility. The 5 (not the 9) had every opportunity to break cleanly, but didn't. As such, the horse should not be declared a non-starter. He created his own problem.

The rules are different than in europe, the horse in question would be ruled a non starter.

of course here in the states very few betting races on the jumps.

Allan

bello
06-17-2016, 05:01 PM
I have no clue what the rule in in New Jersey or anywhere else for jump races.

But if you bet harness racing as I do, what occurred happens at lease 10 times a day. As long as a horse is facing the starting gate and is not interfered or has broken equipment, when the GO is given he is a starter, even if he is offstride

Looked to me like this jumper was facing the starter but started bucking badly when it was time to run causing his own problems...Sorta like a horse refusing to break from the starting gate. If it was a gate malfunction or handler error there is a refund. If he stays in the gate simply because he did not break...no refund.