PDA

View Full Version : Another tragedy in Orlando

Fager Fan
06-15-2016, 06:41 AM
Unbelievable. And at Disney, which was named as one of the places cased by the shooter.

An alligator snatched a 2yo last night. They've searched through the night but so far the child and gator haven't been found. Horrible. The father witnessed his child getting snatched.

First the singer murdered Friday night, then the terrorist on Saturday night, then this on Tuesday night.

Rookies
06-15-2016, 10:00 AM
One of the worst weeks in the history of the city. This incident took place adjacent to the Grand Floridian- the preemo Disney property. While there was no references to Alligators per se, signs were posted that banned swimming.

These folks were from Nebraska, where the only Alligator they've likely seen could be found in an indoor zoo. However, I first visited Disney in the mid 70s and got fetched up about Gators... and in a hurry.

A 2 year old, by/ in that water? Geez. Those parents will think about that bad decision for the rest of their days. Poor little fellah.

Tom
06-15-2016, 10:04 AM
Unbelievable Disney would not have ALLIGATOR warning signs.
All such venues in Florida should be immediately closed until each one is inspected and found to be run by people who are not morons.

Where the hell is adult responsibility gone to?

woodbinepmi
06-15-2016, 10:06 AM
Bad week for that city, first the singer gets shot after a show, then a nut job kills 49 and now a child eaten by a gator. What the hell else can go wrong there?

Tall One
06-15-2016, 10:18 AM
Agreed...a more effective sign with little effort or expense would have been "Danger. No Swimming. Alligators."

Not out of the ordinary for gators to make themselves at home in a backyard swimming pool, so you really have to assume that with any type of fresh water, there's probably one lurking.

Fager Fan
06-15-2016, 10:28 AM
Maybe there should be alligator warning signs at every fresh body of water in Florida. Maybe the parents should've known to not put a foot into the water. I don't want to see any lawsuits or blame here. It was a horrific accident, and there isn't always someone to blame.

These parents will be tortured for the rest of their lives by letting the boy go a foot into the water, and by the sight of their son in the jaws of a gator and being carried underwater. Horrific.

Tall One
06-15-2016, 10:57 AM
If i remember right, there usually are, Fager, and especially at state/local parks where spring water surrounds them. Visible yellow and black signs reminding folks no lifeguard as well as a "Be aware, be on the lookout for gators."

Believe i heard mentioned on the Today show they'd pulled a couple out of that lagoon already with no signs of the child.

davew
06-15-2016, 11:18 AM
Maybe there should be alligator warning signs at every fresh body of water in Florida. Maybe the parents should've known to not put a foot into the water. I don't want to see any lawsuits or blame here. It was a horrific accident, and there isn't always someone to blame.

These parents will be tortured for the rest of their lives by letting the boy go a foot into the water, and by the sight of their son in the jaws of a gator and being carried underwater. Horrific.

Nebraska parents have probably never seen gators, just like a Florida parent might want to pet a wild buffalo.

tucker6
06-15-2016, 11:41 AM
Every body of fresh or brackish water here in southern SC has a sign about alligators. I find it hard to believe Disney would not have a sign. Awful to ask this, but are we sure an alligator ate the kid?

Marshall Bennett
06-15-2016, 12:08 PM
We have gators here on our lake. You leave them alone, they'll leave you alone. Gators that take prey do it for one reason, to consume it. Would be a miracle if this child survived. Also, getting within close quarters of an alligator's young is as serious as with a bear's.
This is a horrible accident that likely won't end well. A toddler that age should always have it's parent's hand almost anywhere. Their lives will never be the same, which is the ultimate penalty to pay. There's no need for legal punishment in a case like this. Was just a terrible accident.

JustRalph
06-15-2016, 12:15 PM
No gator signs in north Houston. Lots in southern areas. Especially down around NASA

Frost king
06-15-2016, 12:23 PM
So what is the difference between this and the Cincinnati incident? One child was lost and the other was saved. When it comes to wild animals, none can be trusted. That is why, the Cincinnati Zoo killed the gorilla. To avoid this kind of tragedy.

tucker6
06-15-2016, 12:27 PM
So what is the difference between this and the Cincinnati incident? One child was lost and the other was saved. When it comes to wild animals, none can be trusted. That is why, the Cincinnati Zoo killed the gorilla. To avoid this kind of tragedy.
The difference is night and day. You're trying really hard to make a parallel between the two when there is none.

Tall One
06-15-2016, 12:48 PM

Plenty, and all are pretty obvious. I mean, thankfully, the gorilla didnt tear the kid to pieces before there could be any reaction, but with this attack, in water, at night, and assuming no barriers in place, how's anybody going to notice a snout and two eyes poking out just above the shallows as they wade out? One or two feet of water is all a gator needs..

This is just a terrible tragedy all around.

onefast99
06-15-2016, 01:42 PM
We have been going to Disneyworld for the past 18 years, we stayed at the Grand Floridian in November and walked along the same beach the child was snatched from. There are no signs that say anything about gators. There are small signs that say no swimming and that's it. You can even walk from the Magic Kingdom along the seven seas lagoon on a path back to the Grand Floridian or the Polynesian or Contemporary hotels which are all on the monorail system. In all of my years going to Disney I never gave any thought that gators were in that lagoon.

GameTheory
06-15-2016, 01:51 PM
I'm a couple of miles from a wildlife refuge full of wild gators -- I see little kids go right up to the edge of a pond WITH THE ENCOURAGEMENT of their parents. (This is a place with no barriers anywhere -- you are in their territory.) People are really stupid.

Actually the same thing almost happened to me and/or my brother when we were little kids one time at a boat launch in the Everglades. One lurking right in front of us while we played right on the edge of the water, so my parents weren't being too bright either that day I guess. American Alligators are generally non-aggressive and will just leave if you get near, but small kids or dogs can be seen as prey. But now they've got those transplanted Nile Crocs possibly becoming established in Florida -- those things will attack anything.

Rookies
06-15-2016, 02:05 PM
We have been going to Disneyworld for the past 18 years, we stayed at the Grand Floridian in November and walked along the same beach the child was snatched from. There are no signs that say anything about gators. There are small signs that say no swimming and that's it. You can even walk from the Magic Kingdom along the seven seas lagoon on a path back to the Grand Floridian or the Polynesian or Contemporary hotels which are all on the monorail system. In all of my years going to Disney I never gave any thought that gators were in that lagoon.

Hmmm... the plot thickens. Maybe, there is some fault to be found with Disney, as well.

Toronto Sun

A Canadian family apparently ran from an alligator that lurched out of the water at the same Disney resort lagoon where a two-year-old was attacked.

The frightening episode happened in April.

A British family told the U.K. Mirror they were sitting on the beach of the Polynesian Village Resort, on the Seven Seas Lagoon, with their two young children when the gator clamoured out of the water and onto the sand.

Though the younger daughter of Carl and Karen Davis said she thought she heard something in the water earlier, it was the Canadian family sitting nearby who saw the creature first and ran.

"We sat there for a while longer and dismissed (our daughter's) concern," Carl recalled in the Mirror. "The next thing, the Canadian family sitting a little way up ran over and shouted, 'Alligator!'

"It was directly in front of us, around 40 feet away. It lurched out of the water and we had to run. It was pitch black with no lighting on the actual beach section ... Our daughter was screaming, she was petrified."

The alligator was about four feet long, he said.

He said the Canadians reported it to security, but they don't know what happened after that.

The Polynesian Village Resort is next door to the Grand Floridian Resort & Spa on the same lagoon where a two-year-old boy from Nebraska was snatched by an alligator Tuesday night."

Tom
06-15-2016, 02:08 PM
Crocs are bad news.
I was watching Paul Bedard in Australia last night on TV, going after 14-20 foot crocs. A man would have no chance.

When I was in Florida years ago, I took an air boat ride in the Everglades.
We pulled right up to a number of gators, just feet from us.
A few months later, I was watch a show on TV about them and saw that they can jump up out of the water almost their whole length! :eek: That would have been square on my arse, teeth first.

Such a tragic thing to happen at such a happy place.
That family will never be the same. I can't imaging the anguish that Mom and Dad went through seeing their baby go like that.

JustRalph
06-15-2016, 06:51 PM
New Disney security crew

http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/cajunradio.com/files/2011/04/swamp-people.jpg

zico20
06-15-2016, 07:40 PM
Crocs are bad news.
I was watching Paul Bedard in Australia last night on TV, going after 14-20 foot crocs. A man would have no chance.

When I was in Florida years ago, I took an air boat ride in the Everglades.
We pulled right up to a number of gators, just feet from us.
A few months later, I was watch a show on TV about them and saw that they can jump up out of the water almost their whole length! :eek: That would have been square on my arse, teeth first.

Such a tragic thing to happen at such a happy place.
That family will never be the same. I can't imaging the anguish that Mom and Dad went through seeing their baby go like that.

Same thing happened to me. I was in an air boat and an alligator was within a foot of me. I moved to the other side of the boat real quick, fearing the gator might jump into the boat and attack me.

zico20
06-15-2016, 07:44 PM

You could say the same thing about people. None can be trusted. A gorilla is a mammal and an alligator is a reptile. There is the big difference. I would have no problem if every alligator and crocodile were wiped off the face of the earth. To me, especially the croc, they are an evil animal and have no purpose having an existence.

zico20
06-15-2016, 07:46 PM
Unbelievable. And at Disney, which was named as one of the places cased by the shooter.

An alligator snatched a 2yo last night. They've searched through the night but so far the child and gator haven't been found. Horrible. The father witnessed his child getting snatched.

First the singer murdered Friday night, then the terrorist on Saturday night, then this on Tuesday night.

It is said that bad things happen in threes. I guess Orlando is now safe for the time being.

zico20
06-15-2016, 07:49 PM
Body recovered.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/06/15/body-2-year-old-boy-snatched-by-alligator-recovered-sheriff-confirms.html

therussmeister
06-15-2016, 07:53 PM
CNN has reported that the body has been found with only a few bite marks on it.

jk3521
06-15-2016, 07:53 PM
If(when) the family sues, Disney World will have new owners.

therussmeister
06-15-2016, 07:58 PM
You could say the same thing about people. None can be trusted. A gorilla is a mammal and an alligator is a reptile. There is the big difference. I would have no problem if every alligator and crocodile were wiped off the face of the earth. To me, especially the croc, they are an evil animal and have no purpose having an existence.
The biggest difference is an alligator is a predator, a gorilla is not. Gorillas are vegetarians and would only willingly harm a human if it felt threatened, whereas alligators would attack when hungry.

JustRalph
06-15-2016, 11:03 PM
The more I hear about this, the more I regret making the previous post. No place for a mild joke.

Looks like there might be some serious lack of warning on the part of Disney.

Somebody is going to get fired big time.

Grits
06-15-2016, 11:20 PM
There will be a tremendous lawsuit, too. But no amount of money will ease the horrible loss of their baby boy. Prayers for this family. <3

We went to Wally World twice, years ago, staying at the Polynesian. We figured out by midweek..once was a gracious plenty.

Fager Fan
06-16-2016, 08:12 AM
Considering the parents were as responsible for what happened as Disney, shall they also sue themselves? I guess I'm tired of everything always being someone's fault and the answer is to give them money.

There won't be a lawsuit. Disney is already offering a settlement, I'm sure. They're a top notch company and family friendly and would figure the negative publicity of fighting a lawsuit would be worse than paying them.

tucker6
06-16-2016, 08:39 AM
Considering the parents were as responsible for what happened as Disney, shall they also sue themselves? I guess I'm tired of everything always being someone's fault and the answer is to give them money.

There won't be a lawsuit. Disney is already offering a settlement, I'm sure. They're a top notch company and family friendly and would figure the negative publicity of fighting a lawsuit would be worse than paying them.
I'm normally on your side of the argument, but I live with an alligator not 25 feet from my back porch (live next to a small lake). They are docile and human fearing if you don't feed them. I suspect the tourists there feed them plenty, so they are much less fearful. Every lagoon, pond, and lake here has signage about alligators and feeding. The saying here is 'a fed alligator is a dead alligator'. They must be killed because they become aggressive toward humans.

All that said, it is negligent to the highest degree to not protect both humans and alligators from each other by BOTH cordoning off the water AND having signs. Some will say to remove the alligators, but honestly, they'd be back tomorrow.

tucker6
06-16-2016, 08:45 AM
To add to my last post, the alligator in the lake behind my house is maybe 5 feet long from snout to tip of tail. The alligator in question at Disney was described as about four feet long, so I'm not surprised with the fact that his injuries weren't more than a few bite marks. The boy would have been of a similar size to the gator less his tail. Small enough prey for the gator to go after him, but much too large to eat immediately. A gator that size will normally go after turtles, water birds, cats, and small dogs.

onefast99
06-16-2016, 11:17 AM
I'm normally on your side of the argument, but I live with an alligator not 25 feet from my back porch (live next to a small lake). They are docile and human fearing if you don't feed them. I suspect the tourists there feed them plenty, so they are much less fearful. Every lagoon, pond, and lake here has signage about alligators and feeding. The saying here is 'a fed alligator is a dead alligator'. They must be killed because they become aggressive toward humans.

All that said, it is negligent to the highest degree to not protect both humans and alligators from each other by BOTH cordoning off the water AND having signs. Some will say to remove the alligators, but honestly, they'd be back tomorrow.Gators can't tell the difference between a wounded animal and a human splashing one foot into the water at sundown. At the time this happened(9pm) the gators are feeding not to mention it is breeding season and they protect their territory. The old adage is if you hear an alligator hiss you are too close. In this case the gator mistook the child for an animal. Disney is part of the blame for this as there are no alligator warnings anywhere in that area or any of the other hotels that make up the seven seas lagoon area including The Polynesian, Bay Lake Towers, The Contemporary, The Grand Floridian and the Wilderness Lodge.

Grits
06-16-2016, 11:42 AM

Disney WILL give them money because THEY are at fault here. The father and son, as reported, were only wading in the water's edge. They were not swimming. When, no where in sight, is there even one single sign that states, "Beware:Alligators", you cannot ultimately be seen as family friendly. Instead, you are corporate bottom line friendly, knowing the presence of gators acknowledged and stated would not only frighten your guests, it would also cause them to book lodging elsewhere! .... Keeping the secret that maintenance culls the lagoons of gators, this too, is not family friendly. It, again, is corporate friendly. :bang:

Rookies
06-16-2016, 11:43 AM
The more I hear about this, the more I regret making the previous post. No place for a mild joke.

Given the litigious nature of American society, there will undoubtedly be a huge lawsuit.

Originally, I was thinking that if anybody should be named at fault- obviously it was the parents.

Now...

Disney has been named over time as one of the most well liked corporations to work for, by its employees. Part of that, is surely the attention to EVERY minute detail of the customer service mantra and rigorous employee training.

Segue: I remember years ago, taking my shirt off... for about 30 seconds... before an employee stepped out of nowhere to remind me courteously about their dress policy. Nobody had to tell that kid to tell me; rather it was expected that he would- every time!

Ergo, I now don't believe for a nano second that the signage near the gators was not discussed and agreed upon at the highest corporate level. So, why would they sub the words "deep waters" for "alligator"?

Think about it. The #1 target audience for Disney is kids... little kids, accompanied, by their families. Advertising that alligators are all over the properties, would not be a positive communications step, in encouraging people to come. So, because they had never had an incident :rolleyes: , they gapped it.

Of course, they had previous reported incidents, as outlined by my post above. Their spokesperson yesterday, mentioned that they were proactive in going after the gators under certain circumstances, but ducked or denied knowledge of any specific, recent complaints- even the one at this EXACT site!

That is big trouble for them.

Tom
06-16-2016, 11:53 AM

To their credit,they shut down several other locations they own for security investigations.

All of Florida should be prepared to burn some midnight oil and do some serious risk-analysis.

zico20
06-16-2016, 12:49 PM
To add to my last post, the alligator in the lake behind my house is maybe 5 feet long from snout to tip of tail. The alligator in question at Disney was described as about four feet long, so I'm not surprised with the fact that his injuries weren't more than a few bite marks. The boy would have been of a similar size to the gator less his tail. Small enough prey for the gator to go after him, but much too large to eat immediately. A gator that size will normally go after turtles, water birds, cats, and small dogs.

There would be no alligator in the lake behind my house. That gator would be on my dinner plate. I have dogs and they take precedence.

PaceAdvantage
06-16-2016, 02:19 PM
Considering the parents were as responsible for what happened as Disney, shall they also sue themselves?Bullshit. Not in this instance. I'm as critical of today's parents as anyone, but I don't believe for one second these parents are in any way responsible for what happened to their child.

They are on a Disney resort. There are NO signs about alligators. The child, by all accounts, wasn't swimming in the water...I'm not even sure if he was IN the water at all. If he was, he certainly wasn't in past his knees, from what I've heard, but again, I don't even think he was in the water.

Sitting at a Disney resort, at a MAN-MADE lagoon, I would NOT expect alligators, even in Florida. I would EXPECT that Disney has taken proper precautions (such as underwater barriers where the lagoon might meet any possible entrance to another body of water that might make it easy for gators to enter the lagoon).

The parents aren't responsible. This wasn't a field trip to the Everglades. This was a DISNEY RESORT on Disney property.

Disney is going to pay and pay dearly for this mistake. It won't hurt them financially, as they make more money than God. But it will be enough where serious changes will take place at resorts such as this.

Tom
06-16-2016, 02:25 PM
And the place was made to look like a beech, from what I have heard.

Fager Fan
06-16-2016, 02:32 PM
Disney WILL give them money because THEY are at fault here. The father and son, as reported, were only wading in the water's edge. They were not swimming. When, no where in sight, is there even one single sign that states, "Beware:Alligators", you cannot ultimately be seen as family friendly. Instead, you are corporate bottom line friendly, knowing the presence of gators acknowledged and stated would not only frighten your guests, it would also cause them to book lodging elsewhere! .... Keeping the secret that maintenance culls the lagoons of gators, this too, is not family friendly. It, again, is corporate friendly. :bang:

I don't agree with you being so hard on Disney. Why would people book elsewhere if they also have the same gator problem? It doesn't make the risk any less if you know there are gators at both places.

So one gator death in how many years? 45 or so? Their efforts have worked to date at having zero people killed. Those lakes, by the way, are actually owned by the state (or county).

In any event, I think it's fine to put up signs everywhere there is a body of fresh water to tell anyone who is ignorant of the gators in Florida. But I do find it interesting that everyone knows that ignorance is not an acceptable defense for breaking a law, but it's an acceptable defense any time someone gets harmed by anything (and they can find a person or company on the other end rich enough to sue).

Fager Fan
06-16-2016, 02:38 PM
Bullshit. Not in this instance. I'm as critical of today's parents as anyone, but I don't believe for one second these parents are in any way responsible for what happened to their child.

They are on a Disney resort. There are NO signs about alligators. The child, by all accounts, wasn't swimming in the water...I'm not even sure if he was IN the water at all. If he was, he certainly wasn't in past his knees, from what I've heard, but again, I don't even think he was in the water.

Sitting at a Disney resort, at a MAN-MADE lagoon, I would NOT expect alligators, even in Florida. I would EXPECT that Disney has taken proper precautions (such as underwater barriers where the lagoon might meet any possible entrance to another body of water that might make it easy for gators to enter the lagoon).

The parents aren't responsible. This wasn't a field trip to the Everglades. This was a DISNEY RESORT on Disney property.

Disney is going to pay and pay dearly for this mistake. It won't hurt them financially, as they make more money than God. But it will be enough where serious changes will take place at resorts such as this.

I've read/heard of alligators at golf course ponds and backyard pools, and I bet you have too. I bet these parents have too. Clearly they haven't figured out in Florida how to keep alligators confined so maybe it's not as easy as you think.

Of course paying dearly for this mistake brings back the boy and makes things ok. I'm sorry that I can't sue God for the death of a person close to me who was taken just a few years older than this boy.

Saratoga_Mike
06-16-2016, 03:02 PM
There will be a tremendous lawsuit, too. But no amount of money will ease the horrible loss of their baby boy. Prayers for this family. <3

I despise frivolous lawsuits and sue-happy people, but I hope Disney is sued for ten of millions in this case. Moreover, someone should be tried for culpable negligence. Walt Disney World is a theme primarily geared toward children/teens. It attracts visitors from all over the country and the world. I know alligators are in bodies of fresh water in Florida, and that's why you don't set up a sandy beach next to a body of water at Disney World with no warning signs. You cannot expect your guests or their parents to know alligators lurk in the waters. It is not a reasonable expectation. The same theory extends to a culpable negligence charge.

tucker6
06-16-2016, 03:03 PM
There would be no alligator in the lake behind my house. That gator would be on my dinner plate. I have dogs and they take precedence.
Thanks for explaining why St Louis isn't worth visiting.

Saratoga_Mike
06-16-2016, 03:05 PM
Bullshit. Not in this instance. I'm as critical of today's parents as anyone, but I don't believe for one second these parents are in any way responsible for what happened to their child.

Anyone who disagrees with this post is just looking to argue or out of their minds.

Grits
06-16-2016, 05:32 PM
I don't agree with you being so hard on Disney. Why would people book elsewhere if they also have the same gator problem? It doesn't make the risk any less if you know there are gators at both places.

So one gator death in how many years? 45 or so? Their efforts have worked to date at having zero people killed. Those lakes, by the way, are actually owned by the state (or county).

In any event, I think it's fine to put up signs everywhere there is a body of fresh water to tell anyone who is ignorant of the gators in Florida. But I do find it interesting that everyone knows that ignorance is not an acceptable defense for breaking a law, but it's an acceptable defense any time someone gets harmed by anything (and they can find a person or company on the other end rich enough to sue).

Some days, you'd argue with a sign post, and stand over the hole.. arguing into it, after you dug it up, Fager. Jeez.. You don't have a prayer here. Too, no one has said suing Disney is going to make everything all ok for this family.

Use your head, correctly, and stop arguing simply for the sake of being disagreeable. First off, it has been reported that other properties, clearly, have signs POSTED regarding the gators. Disney did not. However, keep in mind, not every Florida hotel property has lagoons on them. So yes, there are other options for families. :rolleyes:

About suing? I've been on the bad end of medical malpractice twice. One resulted in 8 surgeries in 21 days. The other resulted in an infection for 10 months that brought the need for a thoracic surgeon opening the chest removing two ribs, a portion of the chest wall with an 8" incision that had to heal from the inside out. Gross medical error by two different surgeons, almost 20 years apart. I've never sued a soul in my life. I don't intend to start. Wealth gained via lawsuits without lasting disability makes me sick.

....On another note, a few weeks ago, I believe it was TVG who posted a video of one of the biggest gators I've ever seen. He was sauntering around the middle of the track holding up racing on a rainy night. Believe it was Delta Downs. Wish I could find the video. HUGE, he was.

Racetrack Playa
06-16-2016, 06:23 PM
....On another note, a few weeks ago, I believe it was TVG who posted a video of one of the biggest gators I've ever seen. He was sauntering around the middle of the track holding up racing on a rainy night. Believe it was Delta Downs. Wish I could find the video. HUGE, he was.
that was May 19th,race 3 check TVGs facebook(Im Guessing).

Fager Fan
06-16-2016, 07:03 PM
Grits, if I respond am I arguing with a sign post?

I agree they should warn of gators and settle with these parents. But I don't feel harshly about Disney. Gator attacks are more rare than lightning strikes. There were 80 attacks and fatalities from 1948 til 2005. They worked closely with wildlife officials (and none of them recommended warning signs?). We're also just assuming these parents knew nothing about the gators on the property instead of making an unwise choice. They do say others staying at the property knew.

Whatever, it's horrible, but I feel sure the folks at Disney are as horrified as we are, if not worse.

tucker6
06-16-2016, 09:45 PM
Grits, if I respond am I arguing with a sign post?

I agree they should warn of gators and settle with these parents. But I don't feel harshly about Disney. Gator attacks are more rare than lightning strikes. There were 80 attacks and fatalities from 1948 til 2005. They worked closely with wildlife officials (and none of them recommended warning signs?). We're also just assuming these parents knew nothing about the gators on the property instead of making an unwise choice. They do say others staying at the property knew.

Whatever, it's horrible, but I feel sure the folks at Disney are as horrified as we are, if not worse.
Not directed at you, but I find the bolded to be impossible to believe. It is the common way to express danger. I think Disney had a fubar. As for assuming the parents didn't know about gators, I can believe it. People on vacation leave their brains at home. Seen it many times. We once had a large family from Ohio try to raft on the Atlantic with 3 adults and five children on four rafts with 6 oars. Let that sink in. One raft had two under 10 children on it with one oar. On the ocean!!!!! All had to be rescued of course. The next day??? They burned the rental home down. True story.

Fager Fan
06-16-2016, 10:12 PM
Not directed at you, but I find the bolded to be impossible to believe. It is the common way to express danger. I think Disney had a fubar. As for assuming the parents didn't know about gators, I can believe it. People on vacation leave their brains at home. Seen it many times. We once had a large family from Ohio try to raft on the Atlantic with 3 adults and five children on four rafts with 6 oars. Let that sink in. One raft had two under 10 children on it with one oar. On the ocean!!!!! All had to be rescued of course. The next day??? They burned the rental home down. True story.

This doesn't say anything about the FWC's stance or thoughts on the signs, but they are supportive of Disney's efforts up to now regarding the alligators:

http://www.wesh.com/news/disney-wildlife-management-team-routinely-removes-gators-officials-say/40075110

TBD
06-17-2016, 03:02 AM
OK time to chime in. I have been a lifelong resident of the state of Florida. All this noise about signs, yes it would have been prudent on their part to have posted a sign. It should have read. Warning possible gator attack; possible rattle snake bite; possible coral snake bite; possible cotton mouth moccasin bite; possible panther attack; possible bobcat attack; possible rabid raccoon attack; possible rabid fox attack; possible mosquito bite; no swimming, possible amoeba attack, and finally it should have read this list like the list in your state is not even close to everything that can kill you while you are here. From me to them, this was a tragic event and truly my heart goes out to you. Enough about trying to assign blame.

jk3521
06-17-2016, 06:15 AM
Whalen said that's what happened in 2012 after the gator appeared in the water near her kids at Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort, which is on a different lake than the one where the boy was killed.

As shocked tourists looked on, she said, trappers caught the animal and carried it away, writhing, across a pool and courtyard area outside the hotel. Disney workers threatened to confiscate the phones and cameras of anyone who tried to photograph or videotape the spectacle, she said.

Whalen said she complained to the front desk and wrote a letter to Disney but never heard back.

(From WABC Eyewitness News)http://abc7ny.com/news/after-fatal-attack-disney-weighs-alligator-warnings/1388104/

Grits
06-17-2016, 09:04 AM
Five gators were removed from the lake following the boy's disappearance, and trappers continued looking for gators after his body was found Wednesday.

Five removed from the pond the child was attacked in. This is a nightmare. Wildlife officers and Disney do not have a hold on this. They simply do not. Not yet, anyway. :(

On CBS, as I watched last night. This father was laughed at and blown off, just last year. Different hotel, same problem.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/lane-graves-disney-warned-about-alligator-attacks-before-boys-death/

I remember when they were an endangered species and could not be hunted. They must be prolific breeders as they're all over the South now having been removed from the list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_alligator

The American alligator is listed as Least Concern (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Least_Concern) by the International Union for Conservation of Nature (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Union_for_Conservation_of_Nature). Historically, hunting had decimated their population, and the American alligator was listed as an endangered species (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endangered_species) by the Endangered Species Act of 1973 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endangered_Species_Act_of_1973). Subsequent conservation efforts have allowed their numbers to increase and the species was removed from the list in 1987. Alligators are now harvested for their skins and meat. The species is the official state reptile (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_reptile) of three states: Florida (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida), Louisiana (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisiana), and Mississippi (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mississippi).

Rookies
06-17-2016, 09:27 AM
OK time to chime in. I have been a lifelong resident of the state of Florida. All this noise about signs, yes it would have been prudent on their part to have posted a sign. It should have read. Warning possible gator attack; possible rattle snake bite; possible coral snake bite; possible cotton mouth moccasin bite; possible panther attack; possible bobcat attack; possible rabid raccoon attack; possible rabid fox attack; possible mosquito bite; no swimming, possible amoeba attack, and finally it should have read this list like the list in your state is not even close to everything that can kill you while you are here. From me to them, this was a tragic event and truly my heart goes out to you. Enough about trying to assign blame.

Normally, I would agree. If you are wandering around hot, humid, surrounded by Oceans and swampland- Florida, you should expect that there will be animals- wild, dangerous animals that you're not familiar with at home.

Caveat emptor and don't get all shite faced, when you go for a stroll in the woods or put your fool hand into some tepid water, searching for your golf ball.

But this is Disneyland, whose virtual entire modus operandi, is to encourage the worlds' children, really little children to come, relax, play and enjoy. And when you deliberately stage a little white sand beach, right next to an area of open water and adjacent to an uber expensive resort, no parent, let alone kid, would have the slightest idea that it was literally infested with free moving gators.

In addition, Disney deliberately decided to camouflage the real danger with that "deep water" nonsense. They will pay heavily for their choice; not as heavily as the poor parents, of course.

MutuelClerk
06-17-2016, 10:06 AM
Still looking for the gator? Must be one of those Muslim gators.

GameTheory
06-17-2016, 11:17 AM
But this is Disneyland, whose virtual entire modus operandi, is to encourage the worlds' children, really little children to come, relax, play and enjoy. And when you deliberately stage a little white sand beach, right next to an area of open water and adjacent to an uber expensive resort, no parent, let alone kid, would have the slightest idea that it was literally infested with free moving gators. It is very strange. There is no way to keep the gators out, and they should know that. They don't start out big, after all -- somebody could have dumped a baby gator in there for all we know -- happens all the time. That's why they have non-native killer crocs and giant Amazonian snakes in Florida swamps -- from people letting their pets go. Any body of water like that in a resort where people are encouraged to be near the edge should be totally clear like a swimming pool. It isn't even just gators you have to worry about.

Tom
06-17-2016, 12:18 PM
You guys have things down there that the gators worry about.

Rookies
06-17-2016, 12:40 PM
It is very strange. There is no way to keep the gators out, and they should know that. They don't start out big, after all -- somebody could have dumped a baby gator in there for all we know -- happens all the time. That's why they have non-native killer crocs and giant Amazonian snakes in Florida swamps -- from people letting their pets go. Any body of water like that in a resort where people are encouraged to be near the edge should be totally clear like a swimming pool. It isn't even just gators you have to worry about.

Bottom line is that it is DISNEYLAND- not the Glades or Goober's hut in the woods. The only time you would expect to see gators at Disney is in an exhibit, with one of those Trump walls all around it! Apparently, there are unlimited numbers throughout the properties, living in any body of murky water.

Imagine, that Disney created beautiful mini beaches, right down to the waters' edge, where any Resort visitors would be encouraged to sit at the end of a long day on the rides & exhibits. :bang:

jk3521
06-17-2016, 12:42 PM
Damned Obama !

GameTheory
06-17-2016, 01:00 PM
Bottom line is that it is DISNEYLAND- not the Glades or Goober's hut in the woods. The only time you would expect to see gators at Disney is in an exhibit, with one of those Trump walls all around it! Apparently, there are unlimited numbers throughout the properties, living in any body of murky water.Yep, they are everywhere. Every PUDDLE you see in Florida should be considered to have a gator in it -- any depression on a lawn where rainwater forms, etc they will go and sit in there. (They will even dig their own depression sometimes.) Motels with a grassy area surrounding it have to watch out for this, a low spot will collect water. Of course you see them just sitting around in the sun too. I've even run into them in the forest (near water) around here.

Tom
06-17-2016, 01:03 PM
When I was there i 1988, I ran into one one the sidewalk leading into NASA!
Cape Freaking Kennedy, there's a gator coming towards me.:eek:

Houston, we have a problem!:D

onefast99
06-17-2016, 03:34 PM
When I was there i 1988, I ran into one one the sidewalk leading into NASA!
Cape Freaking Kennedy, there's a gator coming towards me.:eek:

Houston, we have a problem!:D
The space center is a national wildlife reserve as well. We witnessed a titan rocket go up about 10 years ago, once the ground shakes the gators come out it is quite the sight to see. There are signs warning of gators all over the space center. Aggressive gators are euthanized by the game commission. Disney isn't on a wildlife reserve, in fact in Epcot there is an attraction called the Land where you take a boat ride that near the end has a huge tank of American Alligators that are bred right there and released into the wilderness, has anyone even brought up the fact Disney itself breeds these alligators? It is also well known that the gators travel the water canals and can go from the wildlife reserve that someone mentioned was 2 miles away from the seven seas lagoon.

Rookies
06-17-2016, 04:13 PM
Damned Obama !

The training wheeled seals will be out clapping that soon! :rolleyes: