PDA

View Full Version : Icing, baby! The NHL is expanding to Las Vegas

barahona44
06-14-2016, 06:57 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/las-vegas-nhl-expansion-team-is-done-deal-report-171320924.html

cj
06-14-2016, 07:05 PM
Bandits? Sinners? Showgirls?

barahona44
06-14-2016, 07:09 PM
Bandits? Sinners? Showgirls?
Yahoo story says Black Knights.
Knights would be a good name, nice play on words for Vegas nightlife.But I think only West Point should have the Black Knights name.

RXB
06-14-2016, 07:17 PM
Yahoo story says Black Knights.
Knights would be a good name, nice play on words for Vegas nightlife.But I think only West Point should have the Black Knights name.

Black Knights, LOL.

"Tiz but a scratch."

"A scratch?? Your arm's off."

"No, it isn't."

Fits right in with the hockey ethic.

barn32
06-14-2016, 07:22 PM
Now where are they going to put them? If the put the stadium next to the airport as has been speculated it would be the biggest mistake they could possibly make.

Sunday traffic into the airport is the busiest of the week. Combine that with a Sunday football game and you have a recipe for disaster.

dlivery
06-14-2016, 10:09 PM
Should be interesting with all the Locals working during the night and sleeping during the day

Plus the the Thursday arrivals and Sunday Departures plus all the big talent already living in the Hotels.

Carolina is getting crap load of money from the NHL to stay afloat.

The desert seems a better place to unroll the rubber band on the $500 million and bury it there.

Can't even make a wager on this team in Vegas :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

barn32
06-14-2016, 11:23 PM
Now where are they going to put them?I thought this was about the Raiders. The NHL stadium is already built and behind the New York, New York.

It was pretty much a foregone conclusion that the NHL was coming to Vegas. Everybody thinks they would have never built that stadium otherwise.

Now if the Raiders come to Vegas, they'll have to find a location that's not going to be a traffic nightmare.

RaceBookJoe
06-15-2016, 09:27 AM
It's nice to have a pro team finally coming here. The new arena is perfect for the team. As far as names : , Mob, Neon Knights , Gamblers , High Rollers are some that could work. The first 2 could actually license the Black Sabbath songs as themes ( Mob Rules, Neon Knights ) :)

Hoping that pro football comes here too, but the stadium logistics will be a tough one. Cant build too near or high around the airport, which I believe that McCarran Airport actually owns most of the proposed sites. The area where the current Sam Boyd Stadium is will have the same complaints...too far from the Strip. Not to mention, that its off-site from UNLV..which will probably be involved in any stadium built.

The whole gambling thing is a joke with the NFL coming here. They send teams to England to play, and they have gambling at the stadium.

AlBundy33
06-15-2016, 09:43 AM
While I think it's a good idea to have a pro sports franchise in Vegas, the NHL has too many teams already by about 4-6 teams. I don't know how teams like Edmonton, Phoenix and Florida manage to survive from year to year.

But it's still better a better idea when they decided to give Atlanta a 2nd try when they had a decent team in the Flames before they moved to Calgary in the early 80s.

ldiatone
06-15-2016, 01:55 PM
JAGR will never retire

Jess Hawsen Arown
06-15-2016, 03:22 PM
Forget the gambling issue, there is something disturbing about ice hockey in the desert.

cj
06-15-2016, 03:30 PM
Forget the gambling issue, there is something disturbing about ice hockey in the desert.

It is already in Phoenix and Florida x 2, so why not!

Valuist
06-15-2016, 04:53 PM
Now where are they going to put them? If the put the stadium next to the airport as has been speculated it would be the biggest mistake they could possibly make.

Sunday traffic into the airport is the busiest of the week. Combine that with a Sunday football game and you have a recipe for disaster.

As of yesterday, there's room where the Riviera used to be.

Greyfox
06-15-2016, 07:32 PM
I don't know how teams like Edmonton, Phoenix and Florida manage to survive from year to year.

Huh? Edmonton has had sellout crowds for years. :confused: