PDA

View Full Version : Tepin - Royal Ascot - Tuesday June 14th

horses4courses
06-13-2016, 04:48 PM
Tepin runs in the first race at Ascot tomorrow (9:30am ET)
The Queen Anne Stakes - 1 mile - straight course

http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/racecards/14-06-2016/ascot/racecard/719950/queen-anne-stakes-group-1-british-champions-series-str

I'm pretty sure TVG is covering the races there.
If not, it's the ADW signal.

biggestal99
06-14-2016, 05:13 AM
Highly contentious race

Tepin is trading 6-1 on BF (third choice)

Belardo and Ervedya are both trading at 9-2 (co-favorites)

Allan

kevb
06-14-2016, 07:03 AM
Unfortunately our ADWs, Xpressbet and Twinspires, don't co-mingle, so Tepin will probably be about 3/5 for us stateside bettors.

RunForTheRoses
06-14-2016, 09:41 AM
And Tepin wins it for America.

Quite a horse.

Shelby
06-14-2016, 09:45 AM
THAT WAS AWESOME!!!!! What a horse. And we got 3-1.

classhandicapper
06-14-2016, 09:46 AM
What a terrific accomplishment!

ronsmac
06-14-2016, 09:58 AM
THAT WAS AWESOME!!!!! What a horse. And we got 3-1.
What's more amazing was that she was 6-1 with some bookmakers in England. The price went up when the ground was listed as soft even though her two best races were on softer turf. She's the best American female turf horse I've ever seen. Well at least at a mile she is.

kevb
06-14-2016, 09:59 AM
That was beautiful. Very happy with 3-1.

SuperPickle
06-14-2016, 10:15 AM
Possibly one of the most amazing things I've ever seen.

That being said the price is nothing to crow about. 3-1 with no lasix, no strip, first time on the straight and first time on soft ground (their soft isn't our soft.)

Casse said the ground wouldn't be an issue. So basically you were betting 3-1 she wouldn't bleed.

cj
06-14-2016, 10:15 AM
That is huge. Can't remember the last time an American based horse won a big race overseas on turf. I'm not counting those two year olds sprints.

SuperPickle
06-14-2016, 10:24 AM
That is huge. Can't remember the last time an American based horse won a big race overseas on turf. I'm not counting those two year olds sprints.

Four Stars Allstar won the Irish Two Thousand Guinias in I believe 1992. To this day he is still the only American based horse to win a Euro classic.

And the kicker is he won at Belmont the week before.

And he was a New York bred.

Also I believe he's the same age as Lure and a year older than Paradise Creek.

Come on CJ I trust you to know these things

cj
06-14-2016, 10:29 AM
Four Stars Allstar won the Irish Two Thousand Guinias in I believe 1992. To this day he is still the only American based horse to win a Euro classic.

And the kicker is he won at Belmont the week before.

And he was a New York bred.

Also I believe he's the same age as Lure and a year older than Paradise Creek.

Come on CJ I trust you to know these things

I remember him, just don't know if he was the last :)

horses4courses
06-14-2016, 10:44 AM
Tepin is a very special mare. :ThmbUp:

That testing ground has to have taken something out of her, though.
I'm hoping she's heading back to the US and given time off.
Nice prep race in Sept., then repeats in the BC Mile. :ThmbUp:

It would be great, too, if French champ Solow can make it over as well.

SuperPickle
06-14-2016, 11:20 AM
Tepin is a very special mare. :ThmbUp:

That testing ground has to have taken something out of her, though.
I'm hoping she's heading back to the US and given time off.
Nice prep race in Sept., then repeats in the BC Mile. :ThmbUp:

It would be great, too, if French champ Solow can make it over as well.

Supposedly it's the summer off. Then the Woodbine Mile in late September for a prep.

I'm proud of them for not trying to wheel her back for Saratoga.

OTM Al
06-14-2016, 02:03 PM

Undrafted just last year in the Diamond Jubilee at Royal Ascot would be the last time but before that, not so much.

cj
06-14-2016, 02:26 PM
Undrafted just last year in the Diamond Jubilee at Royal Ascot would be the last time but before that, not so much.

Good one, now that is a memory slip!

OTM Al
06-14-2016, 02:32 PM
Good one, now that is a memory slip!
Mark it up to the general US dislike of turf sprints (though I really like them and you taught me a very good trick with them a few years ago i still look for)

cj
06-14-2016, 02:33 PM
Mark it up to the general US dislike of turf sprints (though I really like them and you taught me a very good trick with them a few years ago i still look for)

I like them as well :) Glad you still remember!

NJ Stinks
06-14-2016, 02:33 PM
Watched Tepin win in England on Channel 4. Pretty cool stuff all the way around.

The basic thrust of the English commentators was that the ground was going to be softer than Tepin would like and there was value to be had on others in the race. Believe it or not, Scott Hazelton of HRTV and now TVG fame was part of the Channel 4 broadcast and boldly predicted Tepin would deal with the conditions just fine. I didn't listen to Scott but that's OK. :)

The winners of the Irish, English, and French 2000 Guineas this year - all 3 year olds - met in the St. James Palace Stakes today at Ascot. That's rather amazing when you consider how many of our best 3 year olds show up in the same race.

One final thought - Tepin went off at 11-2 here. 3-1 paid out back home is just another example of American horseplayers getting screwed through no fault of their own.

cj
06-14-2016, 02:36 PM
Watched Tepin win in England on Channel 4. Pretty cool stuff all the way around.

The basic thrust of the English commentators was that the ground was going to be softer than Tepin would like and there was value to be had on others in the race. Believe it or not, Scott Hazelton of HRTV and now TVG fame was part of the Channel 4 broadcast and boldly predicted Tepin would deal with the conditions just fine. I didn't listen to Scott but that's OK. :)

The winners of the Irish, English, and French 2000 Guineas this year - all 3 year olds - met in the St. James Palace Stakes today at Ascot. That's rather amazing when you consider how many of our best 3 year olds show up in the same race.

One final thought - Tepin went off at 11-2 here. 3-1 paid out back home is just another example of American horseplayers getting screwed through no fault of their own.

That is baffling analysis. Her best races here came on soft turf courses. I was impressed that she was never covered up at all during the race and still had plenty left to win.

AltonKelsey
06-14-2016, 02:42 PM
Anyone ever get a good look at her foot, live? Curious.

NJ Stinks
06-14-2016, 02:49 PM
That is baffling analysis. Her best races here came on soft turf courses. I was impressed that she was never covered up at all during the race and still had plenty left to win.

Definitely good reasons to want to believe Tepin was not going to deliver. First, the last mare to win the race was Goldikova in 2010. Perhaps people here were not ready to concede Tepin could do what Goldikova did here. Then there was the belief that Americans don't know what really soft ground is. It's a perception that may be fiction more than anything - at least it was today. And, finally, there is the fact that American horses never show up in Europe for huge races (excluding Ward). Must be a reason for that. Add it up and taking a shot today on somebody besides Tepin does not seem crazy.

RXB
06-14-2016, 03:07 PM
This is the first big success in a long time for a North American horse in Europe that wasn't a 2YO or a sprinter. And it's a bigger accomplishment than Fourstars Allstar's win. English racing > Irish racing, open company > 3YO only, and also it was a female defeating males. Tepin is really a special mare.

the little guy
06-14-2016, 03:13 PM

Agreed. That Keeneland course was only labelled Good because it was the BC. It was far worse than that, and many Euros didn't even handle it. I totally agree with you that she overcame never having cover. She's tremendous.

cj
06-14-2016, 03:19 PM
Definitely good reasons to want to believe Tepin was not going to deliver. First, the last mare to win the race was Goldikova in 2010. Perhaps people here were not ready to concede Tepin could do what Goldikova did here. Then there was the belief that Americans don't know what really soft ground is. It's a perception that may be fiction more than anything - at least it was today. And, finally, there is the fact that American horses never show up in Europe for huge races (excluding Ward). Must be a reason for that. Add it up and taking a shot today on somebody besides Tepin does not seem crazy.

I was just talking about the ground.

That said, 3-1 on the runaway winner of the BC Mile is an overlay in my opinion.

outofthebox
06-14-2016, 03:21 PM
An amazing race by Tepin. The british commentators had every right to believe that Tepin might have trouble with the course. It was extremely soft, and Tepin although experienced on U.S soft courses, had never run in a bog. The mile was run in 1:43.98. Thats 12 seconds slower than Celestine ran in the Just a Game Saturday. Top 3yos ran 1:44.01 in the Saint James Palace a couple races later. So yes, we americans thought we were getting a generous price at 3-1. With the shipping, no meds, and the daunting course she had to overcome, i can see why the UK parlors had her up to 6-1. Fantastic effort....

CincyHorseplayer
06-14-2016, 03:51 PM
Good lord was that a good run. I think she could have kept on and possibly drew away with another 8th of a mile. She is something else! Fun!

CincyHorseplayer
06-14-2016, 03:53 PM
The one announcer said it perfectly "no lasix, no nasal strip,straight course, soft ground, if anything was going to go wrong for Tepin today was the day but she showed her class..".

Nice display of class in the acknowledgement also.

The Spaniard
06-14-2016, 05:28 PM
TEPIN has dominated the best milers in Europe right now (Solow is recovering from injury). The field included 7 top grade 1 winners of 28 graded stakes races. and she's run a huge race. She's an American and European champion. With a second victory in the Breeder's Cup Mile and a final try in the Hong Kong Mile (in December, against the best Australian a Far East runners) she could retire as the best turf performer of the world. For me TEPIN accomplishment is bigger than Fourstars Allstar.

I think it's great to see the best American thoroughbreds (California Chrome, Tepin, Frosted...etc going out to fight in the global circuits (Dubai, Royal Ascot, Longchamp, Hong Kong).

whodoyoulike
06-14-2016, 05:40 PM
Where do you guys go to view these European races when they occur or even as a replay (prefer internet access)?

Just tried YouTube with no luck.

Sorry if I've asked this before and received an answer, just can't recall.

Thanks.

cj
06-14-2016, 05:48 PM
I posted these on Twitter, so I'll put here too. Tepin and Wise Dan's career in TimeformUS Speed Figures

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ck8NJ7NUgAA8uF7.jpg:large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ck8IRIBUoAAMxhB.jpg:large

fiznow
06-14-2016, 06:03 PM
She is a very special horse for me, i found this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTt0RoXN-7s

RXB
06-14-2016, 06:57 PM
TEPIN has dominated the best milers in Europe right now (Solow is recovering from injury). The field included 7 top grade 1 winners of 28 graded stakes races. and she's run a huge race. She's an American and European champion. With a second victory in the Breeder's Cup Mile and a final try in the Hong Kong Mile (in December, against the best Australian a Far East runners) she could retire as the best turf performer of the world. For me TEPIN accomplishment is bigger than Fourstars Allstar.

I think it's great to see the best American thoroughbreds (California Chrome, Tepin, Frosted...etc going out to fight in the global circuits (Dubai, Royal Ascot, Longchamp, Hong Kong).

Agreed, Tepin's win is definitely the pinnacle in recent decades for an American-trained horse in Europe. And although the margin was only a half-length or so, when I watched it I thought that Leparoux didn't ask her for everything. The jockey on the second finisher seemed to be riding harder.

ArlJim78
06-14-2016, 07:57 PM
She has looked so fluid and imposing, I had a real solid feeling that she was going to win despite all the question marks about the ground, travel, lasix, etc. Working so I couldn't watch live but as soon as I had a moment to log on to twitter and search on Tepin I did. That's really exciting and a huge accomplishment for her and all concerned.
What an incredible mare.

CincyHorseplayer
06-14-2016, 08:31 PM
I posted these on Twitter, so I'll put here too. Tepin and Wise Dan's career in TimeformUS Speed Figures

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ck8NJ7NUgAA8uF7.jpg:large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ck8IRIBUoAAMxhB.jpg:large

Rarified air. Thanks for posting that CJ.

trifecta
06-14-2016, 09:50 PM
Where do you guys go to view these European races when they occur or even as a replay (prefer internet access)?

Just tried YouTube with no luck.

Sorry if I've asked this before and received an answer, just can't recall.

Thanks.

Try TwinSpires ADW. They have them live and as replays.

SuperPickle
06-14-2016, 11:58 PM
Was it me or did she run the race on the same lead for a mile? Because if she did that was epic.

Also if you watch the first quarter she's clearly looking to her right and then left as if she's trying to grasp what's going on.

SuperPickle
06-15-2016, 12:02 AM
Last four furlongs here...

http://www.snappytv.com/tc/2153293/1068763

nearco
06-15-2016, 12:17 AM
An amazing race by Tepin. The british commentators had every right to believe that Tepin might have trouble with the course. It was extremely soft, and Tepin although experienced on U.S soft courses, had never run in a bog. The mile was run in 1:43.98. Thats 12 seconds slower than Celestine ran in the Just a Game Saturday. Top 3yos ran 1:44.01 in the Saint James Palace a couple races later. So yes, we americans thought we were getting a generous price at 3-1. With the shipping, no meds, and the daunting course she had to overcome, i can see why the UK parlors had her up to 6-1. Fantastic effort....
Not to be too pedantic, but the St James is run over the round course and starts down in Swinley Bottom and is climbing all the way from gate to finish. The Queen Anne is on the straight Mile course and is relatively flat till it joins the main course.
You really can't compare times between the two.

nearco
06-15-2016, 12:19 AM
Full replay here....

http://www.tdn.premiumtv.co.uk/streaming/watch/RacingUKFlashVOD/partnerId_166/videoFileId_15550644/clipId_2606857/index.html

AltonKelsey
06-15-2016, 01:28 AM
Tepin never looked comfortable to my eye and won on pure class.

outofthebox
06-15-2016, 06:17 AM
Not to be too pedantic, but the St James is run over the round course and starts down in Swinley Bottom and is climbing all the way from gate to finish. The Queen Anne is on the straight Mile course and is relatively flat till it joins the main course.
You really can't compare times between the two.Fair enough. Wasn't comparing the Belmont course to Ascot, just the astounding final time difference of the two. The final time 1:43 98 was much slower than average over the course. In the last 10 runnings all were under 1:40 including Solows victory last year in 1:37 97. Just an amazing win for Tepin.

Willie Beamin
06-15-2016, 09:32 AM
Miss Temple City race 3?

classhandicapper
06-15-2016, 11:14 AM
Tepin never looked comfortable to my eye and won on pure class.

I came away from it feeling the same way. She also looked tired after the race.

handyman1968
06-18-2016, 06:52 PM
Turf milers are stacked all over the world and it would be one heck of a race if someone can get them all together for 1 race.

Tepin (USA)
Galileo Gold (Eur)
Winx (Aus)
Maurice (Japan)

Add in a healthy Solow and Able Friend and we have a race for the ages.

NJ Stinks
06-18-2016, 08:23 PM
I had the winner (Dartmouth) of the Hardwicke Stakes (Group 2) today but there was an inquiry. The inquiry concerned my colt - possible interference on the runner-up in the deep stretch. Dartmouth went off at 10-1 so it was time to sweat.

Not really. :) Dartmouth is owned by the Queen and the Queen just turned 90 and never misses even one day at Royal Ascot year after year!

Here's comes the proclamation from the stewards: "The order was unaltered!"