PDA

View Full Version : Russell Baze retires

cj
06-13-2016, 02:40 PM
After guiding Wahine Warrior to a second-place finish in the10th and final race on Sunday's closing-day card at Golden Gate Fields, horse racing's all-time winningest jockey, Russell Baze, said to his longtime agent and friend, Ray Harris: “That's it. I'm going to retire.”

More here...http://www.paulickreport.com/news/people/time-winningest-rider-russell-baze-retires/

dilanesp
06-13-2016, 02:43 PM
More here...http://www.paulickreport.com/news/people/time-winningest-rider-russell-baze-retires/

Hopefully they throw a big salute for him at Pleasanton. I don't care what one says about the quality of his competition, it's absolutely insane the number of races he won and his longevity. And he's really a symbol of northern California racing and an institution up there.

johnhannibalsmith
06-13-2016, 04:55 PM
I don't care where he did it or at what price or any of that, it's damn tough just to ride as many races as the man has won. One of the all-time greats and going out with style and dignity. And most importantly, with the prospects of a healthy, happy, unforced retirement.

Redhook206
06-13-2016, 05:35 PM
Congrats to Russell the Muscle on his retirement! Maybe now some more prices at GG. But after yesterdays debacle I'll probably never play there again.

Dan Montilion
06-13-2016, 07:12 PM
Ray Harris once told me that, Eddie Delahoussaye told Ray. "you may not have the best rider in the nation, but you have the hardest trying."

pandy
06-13-2016, 07:15 PM
Congratulations to Mr. Baze. He had a great career and is retiring in one piece presumably with a lot of money. It don't get any better than that for a jockey.

Zaf
06-14-2016, 12:32 AM
Congratulations to Mr. Baze. He had a great career and is retiring in one piece presumably with a lot of money. It don't get any better than that for a jockey.

:ThmbUp: :jump:

RXB
06-14-2016, 12:36 AM
Baze was just below A-list talent but he was as A-list as it gets when it comes to professionalism and reliability.

ultracapper
06-14-2016, 11:00 AM
The King of a humble horse racing family dynasty. West of the Rockies few families took the stage and performed to the level of the Bazes. There may have been more prominent families behind the scenes, in the breeding sheds and owners boxes and such, but when it comes to the afternoon, the Bazes have been performing at a high level for decades up and down the coast. None of them better than Russell the Muscle.

barahona44
06-14-2016, 11:17 AM
The very definition of a big fish in a small pond, most of what he rode went at off short odds.But that's what happens when you're successful.

Congratulations to him and hopes for a happy retirement.

Pigpen
06-14-2016, 11:21 AM
Congrats Russell.

FrankieFigs
06-14-2016, 11:31 AM
Congrats on a solid career Russell. Hope you enjoy your retirement!!

v j stauffer
06-14-2016, 01:02 PM
Congrats on a solid career Russell. Hope you enjoy your retirement!!

I think almost 13k might be considered a tad more than solid by many.

It sure is by me.

fiznow
06-14-2016, 06:10 PM
I remember some people called Bay Meadows 'Baze Meadows'.

He was an outstanding rider, hope he enjoys his retirement.

cj
06-14-2016, 06:13 PM
When adjusted for field size he actually only won about 8k races. Still an awesome accomplishment and he gets out in tact mostly.

The above is a joke, the field size part, please don't take it seriously

FrankieFigs
06-14-2016, 06:50 PM

It sure is by me.

Congrats on a GREAT career Russell. Hope you enjoy your retirement!!

Hope that works better Vic.... :p ;)

RunForTheRoses
06-14-2016, 08:42 PM
Much respect, I was one who called it Baze Meadows.

This was a good article from a few years ago:

http://www.nytimes.com/projects/2013/the-jockey/#/?chapt=introduction

johnhannibalsmith
06-14-2016, 10:41 PM

This was a good article from a few years ago:

http://www.nytimes.com/projects/2013/the-jockey/#/?chapt=introduction

Thanks for that. Such a great piece.

JustRalph
06-14-2016, 11:51 PM
I smell a rat.......

Why so sudden? No farewell tour ? Nothing?

Weird.......

SuperPickle
06-15-2016, 12:07 AM
I smell a rat.......

Why so sudden? No farewell tour ? Nothing?

Weird.......

He was in a bad spill in April. He only broke a collarbone but it was one those that looked awful and was inches away from being awful. The family wanted him to retire then but he wanted to finish out the meet. Go out with his boots on.

The fairs are a tough racket. The surfaces are iffy, the horses are even cheaper and there's lots of travel. He doesn't have a stakes horse to ride outside Golden Gate.

It's actually perfect timing.

Track Phantom
06-15-2016, 04:11 AM

It sure is by me.
Solidly patronizing.

JustRalph
06-15-2016, 11:51 AM
He was in a bad spill in April. He only broke a collarbone but it was one those that looked awful and was inches away from being awful. The family wanted him to retire then but he wanted to finish out the meet. Go out with his boots on.

The fairs are a tough racket. The surfaces are iffy, the horses are even cheaper and there's lots of travel. He doesn't have a stakes horse to ride outside Golden Gate.

It's actually perfect timing.

Thanks......I wasn't aware. Makes sense.......

RXB
06-15-2016, 01:53 PM
My favourite Baze memory is from a couple of years ago. His horse was in contention around the 1/16th pole but appeared to be defeated and backing up slightly, then it suddenly got put in tight by the eventual winner who drifted in a little. The stewards put up the Inquiry sign immediately. A couple of minutes later the track video feed showed Russell picking up the phone to the stewards. He talked for maybe three seconds, laughed and hung up.

Class act all the way.

joeslovo
06-15-2016, 11:26 PM
Absolutely a class act.My dad and my uncle would bet him blind..my mom loved him as well...all gone now of course...as is Baze Meadows.
As others have said..good to see him retire healthy and of course as friendly as ever..adios amigo.

Vinnie
06-16-2016, 03:06 AM
Happy Retirement to the Awesome Jockey Mr. Russell Baze. It will be weird not having him riding when as far back as I can remember (since far beyond the time that I have handicapped the races) he has been riding. :)

All the BEST to he and his family.

v j stauffer
06-16-2016, 01:23 PM
Congrats on a GREAT career Russell. Hope you enjoy your retirement!!

Hope that works better Vic.... :p ;)

It does. It does. Thanks Frankie!!

v j stauffer
06-16-2016, 01:24 PM
Solidly patronizing.

Solidly trolling.