PDA

View Full Version : Soccer and the 21st century

ronsmac
06-12-2016, 10:54 PM
Soccer really needs to be brought into the 21st century. With one goal being the equivalent of 3 touchdowns, replay has to be mandatory. I'm talking about the handball that sent Peru to the quarter finals. While we're at it, come up with a better way to time the game.

zico20
06-12-2016, 11:27 PM
Soccer really needs to be brought into the 21st century. With one goal being the equivalent of 3 touchdowns, replay has to be mandatory. I'm talking about the handball that sent Peru to the quarter finals. While we're at it, come up with a better way to time the game.

Replay needs to come and soon. That goal never should have been allowed. However, I worry about too much replay like other sports, especially in hockey where you can challenge off side and goalie interference. Brazil was awful.

I like how they time the game and it must not change. The discretion by the ref is the only way to go. MLS when it first started up used an official clock on the scoreboard and it was a complete disaster. Time wasting is huge in soccer and the ref must be able to add time as he sees fit.

Inner Dirt
06-13-2016, 08:38 AM
I only watch during World Cup, my biggest complaint is the flopping and drama of a player who gets the slightest nick. They need to give yellow cards for a player caught flopping or acting like he has been shot with a .50 caliber machine gun if someone steps on his foot.

tucker6
06-13-2016, 09:07 AM
Sorry, but it's a boring sport to watch for 90 minutes.

PhantomOnTour
06-13-2016, 10:12 AM
I love horse racing fans telling other sports to move into the 21st century.
Better way to time a game?...says the horse player... :lol: :lol: :lol:

ronsmac
06-13-2016, 10:45 AM
I love horse racing fans telling other sports to move into the 21st century.
Better way to time a game?...says the horse player... :lol: :lol: :lol:Horseplayers have been complaining about timing of races for decades. You should know that.

ronsmac
06-13-2016, 10:49 AM
I only watch during World Cup, my biggest complaint is the flopping and drama of a player who gets the slightest nick. They need to give yellow cards for a player caught flopping or acting like he has been shot with a .50 caliber machine gun if someone steps on his foot.
I agree. It is fun to watch them run like Usain Bolt 5 seconds after rolling around like they're close to death though.

DeltaLover
06-13-2016, 11:02 AM

Boring? Maybe for you, but the same does not seem to apply for the vast majority of the world.

IMHO soccer is the KING of team sports. Its rules are very simple (in contrary to American football or baseball), it does not favor a specific body type (like basket ball), it does not require a lot and expensive equipment (like hockey or American football) and of course it is spread in every country in the globe as the most popular game.

http://i67.tinypic.com/2i24zkh.jpg

PhantomOnTour
06-13-2016, 11:05 AM
Horseplayers have been complaining about timing of races for decades. You should know that.
I do know that - and that's why I'm laughing.

ronsmac
06-13-2016, 11:29 AM
I do know that - and that's why I'm laughing.I love when they add 4 minutes to a match and you're left wondering will it be exactly 4 minutes or will it be 4 minutes and 15 seconds. I'm not sure why they even use seconds during the match. Just start at 45 and go directly to 44 then 43 etc. It's not like we know how much time is really left anyway. Can you imagine Brady going on the game winning drive and the announcers saying there's about a minute to go but we don't know for sure. The solution is so simple. It's 2016 not 1976.

DeltaLover
06-13-2016, 11:38 AM
I love when they add 4 minutes to a match and you're left wondering will it be exactly 4 minutes or will it be 4 minutes and 15 seconds. I'm not sure why they even use seconds during the match. Just start at 45 and go directly to 44 then 43 etc. It's not like we know how much time is really left anyway. Can you imagine Brady going on the game winning drive and the announcers saying there's about a minute to go but we don't know for sure. The solution is so simple. It's 2016 not 1976.

A soccer game is never timed in seconds but always in minutes.

Also one of the most fundamental rules of the game is the following:

The duration of stoppage time is at the sole discretion of the referee.

ronsmac
06-13-2016, 11:54 AM
A soccer game is never timed in seconds but always in minutes.

Also one of the most fundamental rules of the game is the following:

The duration of stoppage time is at the sole discretion of the referee.It's not really timed in minutes. Rarely does it end in exactly 2 minutes of stoppage time. Many times the announcers will be saying when will it end? Or it must be almost over by now.

PhantomOnTour
06-13-2016, 12:30 PM
In the NBA you can call a timeout and advance the ball to midcourt.
WTF is that?
Brady and the Pats are down by 2pts after the other team scored...1st and ten at their own 25yd line...TIMEOUT!...now it's first and ten at the 50.

I get it - you don't like the way soccer is timed.
Look on the bright side - at least you know it will end.
A baseball and basketball game can conceivably go on forever.

DeltaLover
06-13-2016, 12:50 PM
It's not really timed in minutes. Rarely does it end in exactly 2 minutes of stoppage time. Many times the announcers will be saying when will it end? Or it must be almost over by now.

It is up to the referee (and his own judgment calls) and nobody else to call the end of a soccer game. As said before in soccer then is no exact play game or stoppage time. Also in soccer something that occurs at 1 min and 1 seconds or 1 min and 59 seconds will be referred as happened at the 1 minute (seconds are never mentioned).

ronsmac
06-13-2016, 12:54 PM
In the NBA you can call a timeout and advance the ball to midcourt.
WTF is that?
Brady and the Pats are down by 2pts after the other team scored...1st and ten at their own 25yd line...TIMEOUT!...now it's first and ten at the 50.

I get it - you don't like the way soccer is timed.
Look on the bright side - at least you know it will end.
A baseball and basketball game can conceivably go on forever.Theoretically penalty kicks can go on forever too. I like watching both national teams play but that doesn't mean the game shouldn't be improved. They've had minor tweaks over the years. When I was a kid nasl had no ties and we loved it. Even many foreign players embraced the way they had a shot clock and started from 25yds out in overtime. If you like the timing great. I'm sure it will never be changed when there's so many countries involved.

PhantomOnTour
06-13-2016, 01:00 PM
Theoretically penalty kicks can go on forever too. I like watching both national teams play but that doesn't mean the game shouldn't be improved. They've had minor tweaks over the years. When I was a kid nasl had no ties and we loved it. Even many foreign players embraced the way they had a shot clock and started from 25yds out in overtime. If you like the timing great. I'm sure it will never be changed when there's so many countries involved.
Penalty kicks are only used in tournament or playoff formats; never in the regular season.
Any reg season game in hoops or baseball can go on forever.
ALL regular season soccer games will end, somewhere around the 93rd minute :D

And yes, the hand ball goal was ridiculous yesterday and I believe some sort of replay should apply.
And also, for what it's worth...tournament/national team soccer is rarely very attractive. Too much pressure and teams usually lock down on D.
Club soccer is very exciting.

Tor Ekman
06-13-2016, 01:25 PM
Soccer really needs to be brought into the 21st century. With one goal being the equivalent of 3 touchdowns, replay has to be mandatory. I'm talking about the handball that sent Peru to the quarter finals. While we're at it, come up with a better way to time the game.Replay is killing the "watchability" of baseball, football, basketball and hockey. I was once an avid fan of all 4 so-called "major sports" but nowadays I find myself watching more and more soccer and less of the others precisely because a soccer game flows without interruption for either commercial breaks or asinine replay reviews. Sporting events survived just fine for many decades with the human element involved in officiating and bad calls were part of the lore of each sport, which actually promotes interest in the history of each sport.

ronsmac
06-13-2016, 01:29 PM
Replay is killing the "watchability" of baseball, football, basketball and hockey. I was once an avid fan of all 4 so-called "major sports" but nowadays I find myself watching more and more soccer and less of the others precisely because a soccer game flows without interruption for either commercial breaks or asinine replay reviews. Sporting events survived just fine for many decades with the human element involved in officiating and bad calls were part of the lore of each sport, which actually promotes interest in the history of each sport.You've got to be kidding .You enjoy a 0-0 soccer match more than the NFL and NBA? Replay is awesome. The implementation not so much. At home we see within seconds if it was a bad call. Having the ref run 40 yds instead of a central replay center is the issue.

Tor Ekman
06-13-2016, 01:41 PM
You've got to be kidding .You enjoy a 0-0 soccer match more than the NFL and NBA? Replay is awesome. The implementation not so much. At home we see within seconds if it was a bad call. Having the ref run 40 yds instead of a central replay center is the issue.Yup, I find that lately I do. Replay is great in theory but awful in practice. The NFL has had 25 years with it and still can't get it right, and it's a become a bad joke in baseball and hockey, now being used to dissect every razor thin call, when it should have been left alone for just homers and goals, respectively. Pro basketball is unwatchable for many reasons, including replay, but the endless string of time outs at the ends of games and the blatant disregard for enforcing the rules against traveling and carrying are reasons enough to no longer watch. To each his own, I'll take the 0-0 soccer game nowadays

ronsmac
06-13-2016, 03:38 PM
Yup, I find that lately I do. Replay is great in theory but awful in practice. The NFL has had 25 years with it and still can't get it right, and it's a become a bad joke in baseball and hockey, now being used to dissect every razor thin call, when it should have been left alone for just homers and goals, respectively. Pro basketball is unwatchable for many reasons, including replay, but the endless string of time outs at the ends of games and the blatant disregard for enforcing the rules against traveling and carrying are reasons enough to no longer watch. To each his own, I'll take the 0-0 soccer game nowadaysI'm no soccer hater and I love the travels and carrying in the NBA , makes the game even more electrifying. I just hope the U.S. doesn't have a goal that should have been disallowed knock them out Thursday.

zico20
06-13-2016, 07:58 PM
I agree. It is fun to watch them run like Usain Bolt 5 seconds after rolling around like they're close to death though.

Maybe soccer players are just superior athletes and can recover more quickly than other athletes. ;)

zico20
06-13-2016, 07:59 PM
You've got to be kidding .You enjoy a 0-0 soccer match more than the NFL and NBA? Replay is awesome. The implementation not so much. At home we see within seconds if it was a bad call. Having the ref run 40 yds instead of a central replay center is the issue.

Exactly what is so exciting about a team scoring every 30 seconds and losing with 120 points. :confused:

zico20
06-13-2016, 08:01 PM

Just watch it for 89 minutes and maybe you will fall in love with the game. :D

zico20
06-13-2016, 08:04 PM
I love when they add 4 minutes to a match and you're left wondering will it be exactly 4 minutes or will it be 4 minutes and 15 seconds. I'm not sure why they even use seconds during the match. Just start at 45 and go directly to 44 then 43 etc. It's not like we know how much time is really left anyway. Can you imagine Brady going on the game winning drive and the announcers saying there's about a minute to go but we don't know for sure. The solution is so simple. It's 2016 not 1976.

If you knew it would end exactly at 4 minutes then the team leading could kick the ball away when a free kick is near their goal and waste 15 seconds and the other team would not get a chance. What if a penalty kick was awarded and the time was running down? The opposing team could drag it out an entire minute and the penalty kick would never be taken. The ref must have sole discretion of when the game ends.

tucker6
06-13-2016, 08:28 PM
Just watch it for 89 minutes and maybe you will fall in love with the game. :D
What I normally do is start watching around minute 80. :D

woodbinepmi
06-13-2016, 08:40 PM
I love soccer (Juve fan going on 31 years now), find it a lot more enjoyable as anything when you have a rooting interest in a game though. Have never understood the whole 'I HATE soccer' from American/Canadians, or my sport is better than your sport argument. It's all into what each person likes or dislikes. We all gravitate to sports that we played as kids or the one we watched with our fathers.
The sport that I really enjoy to watch is: Aussie Rules Football. It's like they took soccer but added the things that Americans don't like about soccer. It's violent, you can use your hands and there is a lot of scoring.

ronsmac
06-15-2016, 03:29 PM
It sucks that game 6 of the finals is on at the same time as the USA- Ecuador match. Dvr doesn't help much because I'm sure they'll run the ticker at the bottom of the screen at some point and give the result of the soccer match. What a bummer.

ronsmac
06-18-2016, 08:48 PM
Argentine player had what appeared to be a career ending injury today, but by the grace of God made a full recovery 16 seconds later. Thank you Lord.

zico20
06-18-2016, 08:55 PM
Argentine player had what appeared to be a career ending injury today, but by the grace of God made a full recovery 16 seconds later. Thank you Lord.

Soccer is God's favorite sport. ;)

_______
06-18-2016, 10:25 PM
Soccer should only be on television as a 90 second highlight reel. If each game were shown this way, I would be a huge fan.

Unfortunately, they continue to try and foist another 88 1/2 minutes plus of paint drying interspersed with the occasional guy auditioning for a soap opera.

woodbinepmi
06-19-2016, 01:23 AM
Soccer should only be on television as a 90 second highlight reel. If each game were shown this way, I would be a huge fan.

Unfortunately, they continue to try and foist another 88 1/2 minutes plus of paint drying interspersed with the occasional guy auditioning for a soap opera.
That's the way I feel about watching guys hitting a ball that is just sitting there on the ground with a club. Shhhhh, don't make a sound you might bother the guy hitting the ball.

Rookies
06-19-2016, 08:27 PM

This stitch job captures it perfectly:

https://youtu.be/9ukFUEI5qz8 :lol:

horses4courses
06-19-2016, 09:35 PM

https://youtu.be/9ukFUEI5qz8 :lol:

Perfect :lol:

:ThmbUp:

ronsmac
06-19-2016, 10:17 PM

https://youtu.be/9ukFUEI5qz8 :lol:That commercial makes one never want to watch soccer ever again.

Rookies
06-20-2016, 10:51 AM
That commercial makes one never want to watch soccer ever again.

Headline in my local fish wrap today:

French, Swiss play rip-roaring draw.

0-0

:lol: :lol: :lol: :bang:

Swiss Coach: "If a shirt is pulled, they can come apart". There were four (emphasis added) ripped tonight. When you pull shirts they do actually break." :lol: :bang:

Can you imagine explaining that pansy drivel to a Stanley Cup finalist, who has gone in for multiple stitches between periods?

Soccer- grown men in shorts...

ronsmac
06-20-2016, 11:32 AM
Headline in my local fish wrap today:

French, Swiss play rip-roaring draw.

0-0

:lol: :lol: :lol: :bang:

Swiss Coach: "If a shirt is pulled, they can come apart". There were four (emphasis added) ripped tonight. When you pull shirts they do actually break." :lol: :bang:

Can you imagine explaining that pansy drivel to a Stanley Cup finalist, who has gone in for multiple stitches between periods?

Soccer- grown men in shorts...I can't even explain why I watch soccer. Maybe because I played some as a kid, though not great. Maybe it's the train wreck of all the flopping . Nationalism plays a big part. I'm fascinated and intrigued yet wind up complaining through most of the match.

ronsmac
06-21-2016, 09:30 PM
This could be the first time you've ever watched soccer and you would be able to see the difference in skill between Argentina and the U.S. Thank God scoring goals is so difficult.

ronsmac
06-21-2016, 09:38 PM
This could be the first time you've ever watched soccer and you would be able to see the difference in skill between Argentina and the U.S. Thank God scoring goals is so difficult.It's over.

horses4courses
06-21-2016, 10:03 PM
Well, the bright side going into this game for the US was this:
If you're ever going to beat a team of Argentina's stature,
a competition like the Copa America gives you your best shot.
Beat them in a World Cup match? Forget about it.

The US squad is made up of some "B" players, with mostly "C" grade types.
Argentina, on the other hand, is littered with "A" and "B" players.
You can give Messi an "A+". Sergio Aguero is another "A+" - he's on the bench.

There is not a single "C" grade player in the Argentine squad.
Makes it tough on all opponents, not just the US.
Inferior teams on paper outperform higher rated teams occasionally.
Hard to see it happening tonight, though.

dnlgfnk
06-21-2016, 10:20 PM
The U. S. does not have the technical skill or creative vision to be consistently competitive on the world stage. They have regressed since the World Cup, which is not good news for Klinsmann.

I would rather they play mano y mano marking for some minutes, catch their breath playing European style, and return to close marking, etc., like we all did in youth and HS soccer. At least that would create the occasional turnover, or wear down the opposition a bit more.

PhantomOnTour
06-22-2016, 12:06 AM
I believe the reason USA soccer will never get to an elite level where we compete on the world stage with Germany, Argentina, Spain etc...is that we face complete and total pansies in the qualifying stages of major tournaments.

I'm sorry, but prepping against Jamaica and Trinidad & Tobago just doesn't get a team in the proper form to play the above mentioned powerhouses.
We face elite competition only a few times every few years. No wonder we're not ready. Friendlies don't provide that competition either.
CONCACAF is weak...Asia, North & Central America and Africa have a very long way to go before they can hang with Europe and South America.

ronsmac
06-22-2016, 10:48 AM
I believe the reason USA soccer will never get to an elite level where we compete on the world stage with Germany, Argentina, Spain etc...is that we face complete and total pansies in the qualifying stages of major tournaments.

I'm sorry, but prepping against Jamaica and Trinidad & Tobago just doesn't get a team in the proper form to play the above mentioned powerhouses.
We face elite competition only a few times every few years. No wonder we're not ready. Friendlies don't provide that competition either.
CONCACAF is weak...Asia, North & Central America and Africa have a very long way to go before they can hang with Europe and South America.I suspect we'll never be elite if we can't somehow reach the inner cities.

cj
06-22-2016, 12:26 PM
Until our best athletes start playing soccer we'll never be a top team. Still fun to watch though.

PhantomOnTour
06-22-2016, 12:32 PM
Until our best athletes start playing soccer we'll never be a top team. Still fun to watch though.
I often play the "what if" game with many athletes in other sports...

What if someone like Darren Sproles had played soccer from early childhood?
Dude is built for it...squat body, huge legs, great balance, quick feet, speed.

Maurice Jones Drew is another that comes to mind.
Reggie Bush, Michael Vick, and on and on...

ronsmac
06-22-2016, 12:45 PM
I suspect we'll never be elite if we can't somehow reach the inner cities.
I also suspect the inner cities will never be reached. Young black kids are going to always dream about being in the NBA or NFL, even those who have no chance of making it in either sport. Maybe the inner city hispanic immigrants will be the answer. I just don't think we'll be able to get many black kids to run around for an hour or two just to have 1-0 results. Soccer really began to grow when I was a child and back then I would have thought for sure we would be the best in the world by now. Maybe one day. My prediction is we'll win the world cup 70 years from now.

tucker6
06-22-2016, 06:00 PM
My prediction is we'll win the world cup 70 years from now.
If you're wrong, you are buying us all a shot of prune juice.

ronsmac
06-22-2016, 09:55 PM
General Bradley received a lot of criticism in the World Cup and man was he awful last night.

ronsmac
06-23-2016, 12:17 PM
Lance Donovan may get his wish. English Bookies believe Klinsmann will be coaching in the premier league next season.

ronsmac
06-23-2016, 01:04 PM
Lance Donovan may get his wish. English Bookies believe Klinsmann will be coaching in the premier league next season.I meant Landon.

ronsmac
06-24-2016, 09:21 PM
Right wing republicans should crush the Washington post article criticizing American soccer. It stated American soccer is a suburban sport played by relatively affluent who don't have the fight to succeed at a top level. They were gutless by not cutting to the chase and just saying way too many white kids and not enough inner city blacks. This is a case where I agree vehemently with republicans. The left wing media was too scared to just speak the truth.

horses4courses
06-24-2016, 09:43 PM
You reap what you sew.
No matter whether it's white or black kids.

Soccer skills can't be attained just through pure athletic ability.
Fitness conditioning is secondary to developing skills at a very young age.
Along with the skills, building a "soccer brain" within the player is huge.
Constant practice combined with natural ability molds gifted soccer players.
4.3 forty yard dashes won't cut it. Teaching how to read a game is worth more.

ronsmac
06-24-2016, 10:26 PM
You reap what you sew.
No matter whether it's white or black kids.

Soccer skills can't be attained just through pure athletic ability.
Fitness conditioning is secondary to developing skills at a very young age.
Along with the skills, building a "soccer brain" within the player is huge.
Constant practice combined with natural ability molds gifted soccer players.
4.3 forty yard dashes won't cut it. Teaching how to read a game is worth more.Slow white kids aren't going to cut it either no matter how smart they are, and I'm not talking about the German blacks we have on our team now who's first choice was to play for Germany but couldn't make it there.

horses4courses
06-24-2016, 10:49 PM
Slow white kids aren't going to cut it either no matter how smart they are, and I'm not talking about the German blacks we have on our team now who's first choice was to play for Germany but couldn't make it there.

Race is not a factor.

Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo, type superstars are developed as young kids
in soccer environments that nurture skills and an understanding of the game.
It is difficult to achieve that in the US through AYSO and high school set ups.
Is it possible that a world class player could evolve? Of course it is.

You must remember that international soccer is secondary to club soccer
when it comes to individual players' livelihoods. Big contracts and earnings
come via the clubs, primarily in the major European markets of Spain, Italy,
England, Germany, etc.. There is added prestige in competing for your country
in an international setting, but that doesn't pay your bills.

If and when a world class "impact" player is American, he will have been developed in the Euro club scene.
At that point, the USMNT can build around a superstar and, hopefully feed off that and become successful.
For the next couple of World Cups, at least, I don't see that happening.

ronsmac
06-25-2016, 08:06 PM
Race is not a factor.

Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo, type superstars are developed as young kids
in soccer environments that nurture skills and an understanding of the game.
It is difficult to achieve that in the US through AYSO and high school set ups.
Is it possible that a world class player could evolve? Of course it is.

You must remember that international soccer is secondary to club soccer
when it comes to individual players' livelihoods. Big contracts and earnings
come via the clubs, primarily in the major European markets of Spain, Italy,
England, Germany, etc.. There is added prestige in competing for your country
in an international setting, but that doesn't pay your bills.

If and when a world class "impact" player is American, he will have been developed in the Euro club scene.
At that point, the USMNT can build around a superstar and, hopefully feed off that and become successful.
For the next couple of World Cups, at least, I don't see that happening.I guess. I just watched the NBA draft and didn't see too many American white guys drafted. I'm just saying speed kills in almost every sport. Of course you need more than speed but that's something that can't be taught. Many times It's a foot race to the corner. One thing every child in every country in the world does is run against each other. We start racing from 1st grade on. I know it's uncomfortable for people to talk about these days but it's just a fact. The fastest blacks are faster than the fastest whites in this country and would be a great addition to our soccer program if they also learned to play the game at a young age.

horses4courses
06-25-2016, 09:04 PM
I guess. I just watched the NBA draft and didn't see too many American white guys drafted. I'm just saying speed kills in almost every sport. Of course you need more than speed but that's something that can't be taught. Many times It's a foot race to the corner. One thing every child in every country in the world does is run against each other. We start racing from 1st grade on. I know it's uncomfortable for people to talk about these days but it's just a fact. The fastest blacks are faster than the fastest whites in this country and would be a great addition to our soccer program if they also learned to play the game at a young age.

So, answer me this.
If black athletes are superior, which you imply,
why haven't African nations had success in World Cups?

Also, the elite players in the game are, by and large, caucasian.
I don't think your racial angle carries any weight at all.
There is no reason why black athletes can't do well in soccer.
They have the same potential as anyone else to succeed.

ronsmac
06-25-2016, 09:35 PM
So, answer me this.
If black athletes are superior, which you imply,
why haven't African nations had success in World Cups?

Also, the elite players in the game are, by and large, caucasian.
I don't think your racial angle carries any weight at all.
There is no reason why black athletes can't do well in soccer.
They have the same potential as anyone else to succeed.I'm talking American Blacks vs American whites as far as speed and athleticism. American Whites out number American Blacks approx 6-1 yet no Ameican white has been in the 100 meter final in the Olympics in something 60 years. I'm not saying skill isn't important but skill and speed is better than skill and no speed. I'm not 100% why American blacks are more athletic. Maybe Jimmy the Greek was right. I'm just calling it like I see it. The NFL has a combine every year and they time the 40. You tell me what the typical results are. What I'm saying is very few American blacks even play soccer as kids.

ronsmac
06-25-2016, 09:41 PM
As far as Africans I don't have enough knowledge to know how athletic they are. I do know Africa doesn't typically have the money and funding for their soccer programs. The players from Ghana almost boycotted the World cup over money.

horses4courses
06-25-2016, 10:19 PM
What I'm saying is very few American blacks even play soccer as kids.

Understood, and you're right.
It's basketball, then football, then baseball.
Baseball is a very distant third - hockey doesn't feature.

For white kids and black, most will play what their peers play
and follow the direction their parents point them in.

cj
06-27-2016, 04:56 PM
Iceland...wow. And we can't beat Columbia.

ronsmac
06-27-2016, 05:06 PM
Iceland...wow. And we can't beat Columbia.My Scottish Grandfather would be very happy today.

horses4courses
06-27-2016, 06:41 PM
Iceland...wow. And we can't beat Columbia.

If you look at their record in the past 4-5 years, it's no surprise.
A very solid team that plays great defense.
Iceland has frustrated opponents at a high level, and they
managed to up it a notch for this tournament.

There aren't very many South American countries
that the current USMNT would be able to beat. :ThmbDown:

PhantomOnTour
06-27-2016, 10:37 PM
Italy looked solid today against Spain.
They will pay Germany on Saturday, and I think they'll send them packing too.

Italy owns Germany and have never lost to them in a competitive (non friendly) match ever.
They are defensive, play for the 1-0 win, and are boring...but if they get the first goal, you are basically done.
They go into their tortellini formation and that's that :D

HalvOnHorseracing
06-28-2016, 05:24 PM
As American football loses some top young athletes because of fears of long term injury, some of those athletes may migrate to soccer and American soccer may improve. However, soccer has a few rules that I think are problematic for a lot of Americans.

I think sending off a player and not allowing a replacement is perhaps a bit too harsh. In a game where one goal is huge, giving a team that sort of advantage is an extraordinary penalty. Two things should be considered. One, any straight red card should be subject to video review. In the Argentina/Chile game, The red card to Rojo was highly questionable - it wasn't a red card foul on the replay - and in a game of that importance, how inconvenient can it be to be sure you before you give teams a massive advantage/disadvantage? Second, consider ejecting the player, but giving less than a whole game penalty - say 15 minutes - and then allowing a substitute which would count against the three allowable substitutes. If the substitutes have already been used, then you play with ten. Don't tell me teams would send a goon to take out the other team's star - in every other major sport you have ejections and immediate substitutions and they don't have that problem.

Arguably three substitutes is a very small number, and there is not a great argument not to allow, say five, but even if you stay with three substitutes, one extra substitute should be allowed for a one time substitution for the goalie only. I was watching a World Cup game and late in the game it looked like the goalie had dislocated his shoulder. You CANNOT play goalie with a shoulder dislocation. Under current rules, they would have had to take a field player, turn him into a goalie and play with ten. That is simply a ridiculous penalty for a legitimate injury.

One referee to cover the entire field (plus two assistant referees and a guy on the sidelines whose job it apparently is to listen to the coaches carp all game and then hold up signs for substitutes and extra time) seems a little thin. In the World Series baseball has 6 umpires. Hockey has two referees and two linesmen. Football has seven officials. Plus replay officials. Soccer is played on a field too large to effectively cover everything with one on-field official and two assistants. Soccer is too fast for a referee and two assistants. Too much crap can go on out of sight of the referee and his assistants. And the assistants miss offside far too often to suggest two sideline officials are sufficient. I'd add at least one on field official (with one being designated the lead for timing purposes), and maybe two more assistants on the sideline. This will also clean up the game substantially.

While the offside rule may make sense in some situations, in far too many situations it is simply a cover for a team that plays ineffective defense. The old NASL used to have an offside line at 35 yards and it really opened up the game, not to mention preserving some of the stars. Imagine in the NFL if a team let a receiver run by them, get behind them and then be saved because the player was offside. I would suggest once the ball has crossed into the goal box (18 yards out) offsides is suspended. This covers the essential purpose of the rule (prohibit long ball cherry picking) while rewarding skilled offense. It makes far more sense to make the defense pay for letting a player get in behind them than penalize a speedy or clever player for beating the defender.

I'm not one of those Americans who criticizes the game for being too slow, but to me the game is flawed because of the lack of replay in some instances (look how long it took them to verify goals - that's a stodgy, stubborn association), specifically a straight red card, the penalty for a red card, the substitution rules, the number of officials on the field, and the offsides rule. Fixing these would not change the essential appeal of the game but would make it a much better game.

ronsmac
06-28-2016, 06:14 PM
As American football loses some top young athletes because of fears of long term injury, some of those athletes may migrate to soccer and American soccer may improve. However, soccer has a few rules that I think are problematic for a lot of Americans.

I think sending off a player and not allowing a replacement is perhaps a bit too harsh. In a game where one goal is huge, giving a team that sort of advantage is an extraordinary penalty. Two things should be considered. One, any straight red card should be subject to video review. In the Argentina/Chile game, The red card to Rojo was highly questionable - it wasn't a red card foul on the replay - and in a game of that importance, how inconvenient can it be to be sure you before you give teams a massive advantage/disadvantage? Second, consider ejecting the player, but giving less than a whole game penalty - say 15 minutes - and then allowing a substitute which would count against the three allowable substitutes. If the substitutes have already been used, then you play with ten. Don't tell me teams would send a goon to take out the other team's star - in every other major sport you have ejections and immediate substitutions and they don't have that problem.

Arguably three substitutes is a very small number, and there is not a great argument not to allow, say five, but even if you stay with three substitutes, one extra substitute should be allowed for a one time substitution for the goalie only. I was watching a World Cup game and late in the game it looked like the goalie had dislocated his shoulder. You CANNOT play goalie with a shoulder dislocation. Under current rules, they would have had to take a field player, turn him into a goalie and play with ten. That is simply a ridiculous penalty for a legitimate injury.

One referee to cover the entire field (plus two assistant referees and a guy on the sidelines whose job it apparently is to listen to the coaches carp all game and then hold up signs for substitutes and extra time) seems a little thin. In the World Series baseball has 6 umpires. Hockey has two referees and two linesmen. Football has seven officials. Plus replay officials. Soccer is played on a field too large to effectively cover everything with one on-field official and two assistants. Soccer is too fast for a referee and two assistants. Too much crap can go on out of sight of the referee and his assistants. And the assistants miss offside far too often to suggest two sideline officials are sufficient. I'd add at least one on field official (with one being designated the lead for timing purposes), and maybe two more assistants on the sideline. This will also clean up the game substantially.

While the offside rule may make sense in some situations, in far too many situations it is simply a cover for a team that plays ineffective defense. The old NASL used to have an offside line at 35 yards and it really opened up the game, not to mention preserving some of the stars. Imagine in the NFL if a team let a receiver run by them, get behind them and then be saved because the player was offside. I would suggest once the ball has crossed into the goal box (18 yards out) offsides is suspended. This covers the essential purpose of the rule (prohibit long ball cherry picking) while rewarding skilled offense. It makes far more sense to make the defense pay for letting a player get in behind them than penalize a speedy or clever player for beating the defender.

I'm not one of those Americans who criticizes the game for being too slow, but to me the game is flawed because of the lack of replay in some instances (look how long it took them to verify goals - that's a stodgy, stubborn association), specifically a straight red card, the penalty for a red card, the substitution rules, the number of officials on the field, and the offsides rule. Fixing these would not change the essential appeal of the game but would make it a much better game.I think most of your points are valid but old time soccer guy would crush you. For some reason they like everything the way it is now.

ronsmac
07-03-2016, 03:48 PM
I'm watching the French soccer team and they are in another galaxy compared to the U.S. I'm wondering if all these black players they have were born in France or some of their former colonies.

ronsmac
07-03-2016, 04:20 PM
I'm not even sure how Dimitri Payet is even on the French team. He was born on an island 1000 miles east of Africa.

cj
07-03-2016, 04:51 PM
I'm watching the French soccer team and they are in another galaxy compared to the U.S. I'm wondering if all these black players they have were born in France or some of their former colonies.

Not to tough to find out on Google if you are really interested.

ronsmac
07-03-2016, 05:30 PM
Not to tough to find out on Google if you are really interested.A number have been born in France, I don't have time but have to check the % of the population that are black vs. the % on the soccer team. A cursory glance shows that it is way out of proportion. Maybe someday someone will encourage the U.S. to use similar tactics. I want to win a world cup before I die.

PhantomOnTour
07-04-2016, 12:37 AM
I'm not even sure how Dimitri Payet is even on the French team. He was born on an island 1000 miles east of Africa.
Reunion Island is a region of France.
Tim Duncan was born in the US Virgin Islands, a thousand miles south of Miami...he's an American citizen.

ronsmac
07-04-2016, 12:34 PM
Reunion Island is a region of France.
Tim Duncan was born in the US Virgin Islands, a thousand miles south of Miami...he's an American citizen.I get that . Duncan isn't an American either in my book.

PhantomOnTour
07-04-2016, 01:05 PM
I get that . Duncan isn't an American either in my book.
Okayyyyy :rolleyes:
What about a child born on an American military base in, let's say, Germany...are they not real Americans either?

ronsmac
07-04-2016, 05:24 PM
Okayyyyy :rolleyes:
What about a child born on an American military base in, let's say, Germany...are they not real Americans either?If both parents are American and raised here yes. If One is say German and raised in Germany then no. Legalities aside. Jermaine Jones would be a prime example.

ronsmac
07-07-2016, 07:50 PM
If you ever want to see a play where you need speed. Watch Giroud in the 41st or 42nd minute in the France- Germany match. It is painful to watch a guy so slow.