PDA

View Full Version : Colburn and Martin

ultracapper
06-12-2016, 08:00 PM
R Sunday Surprise, Lucky Pulpit-Love The Chase by Not For Love, a full sister to California Chrome, debuts in the 1st at Santa Anita Thursday, June 16. Doug O'Neill, not Art Sherman, is training her.

The history of Steve Colburn and Perry Martin is kind of confusing to me. I was under the impression these guys were brought into the game as newbies with a few bucks and a genius eye for a potential breeding match, which ended up delivering CC. However, I've learned these guys have been around the game for close to 10 years now, and even ran CCs dam, Love The Chase, as the owners of record at Golden Gate in 2009. On top of that, the name California Chrome was once bestowed upon an un-raced Cal-bred quarter horse foaled in 1992.

Maybe I never really understood the story of these two guys, but they've always had the feel of being "myth makers" to me. I always felt that the story I was understanding about them was kind of too good to be true. I don't know if that's because there was a scattering of BS running through it, or whether I just wasn't hearing it all correctly.

westny
06-13-2016, 07:34 AM
R Sunday Surprise, Lucky Pulpit-Love The Chase by Not For Love, a full sister to California Chrome, debuts in the 1st at Santa Anita Thursday, June 16. Doug O'Neill, not Art Sherman, is training her.

The history of Steve Colburn and Perry Martin is kind of confusing to me. I was under the impression these guys were brought into the game as newbies with a few bucks and a genius eye for a potential breeding match, which ended up delivering CC. However, I've learned these guys have been around the game for close to 10 years now, and even ran CCs dam, Love The Chase, as the owners of record at Golden Gate in 2009. On top of that, the name California Chrome was once bestowed upon an un-raced Cal-bred quarter horse foaled in 1992.

Maybe I never really understood the story of these two guys, but they've always had the feel of being "myth makers" to me. I always felt that the story I was understanding about them was kind of too good to be true. I don't know if that's because there was a scattering of BS running through it, or whether I just wasn't hearing it all correctly.

Ditto.

Phonies.

Big Peps
06-13-2016, 08:15 AM
I don't think the two own this filly at this point and probably why they aren't having Art train. Regardless of how long they have been in the game and whether people like them or not and I don't care for the lack of class exhibited at the Belmont by Coburn, it is a hell of a story. Cheap sire, cheap mare to come up with California Chrome is incredible. I think that is the story, and they are two good old boys from grass valley, what does one expect

Fager Fan
06-13-2016, 09:53 AM
I don't think the two own this filly at this point and probably why they aren't having Art train. Regardless of how long they have been in the game and whether people like them or not and I don't care for the lack of class exhibited at the Belmont by Coburn, it is a hell of a story. Cheap sire, cheap mare to come up with California Chrome is incredible. I think that is the story, and they are two good old boys from grass valley, what does one expect

Remember though that it's not entirely unusual. Hanson for example was by a $10k stallion out of a giveaway mare.

Big Peps
06-13-2016, 09:54 AM
Remember though that it's not entirely unusual. Hanson for example was by a $10k stallion out of a giveaway mare.

True that. I think Hanson is going to be an impressive stallion as well, lost a race yesterday at Belmont to a first time Hansen starter trained by D Donk..

parlay
06-13-2016, 11:59 AM
True that. I think Hanson is going to be an impressive stallion as well, lost a race yesterday at Belmont to a first time Hansen starter trained by D Donk..

Was that Hansons first starter?

GatetoWire
06-13-2016, 01:36 PM

He has been exported to South Korea so we aren't going to see many Hansen's in the US

letswastemoney
06-13-2016, 01:44 PM
I don't think the two own this filly at this point and probably why they aren't having Art train. Coburn runs under Silver State Racing now. He still owns part of R Sunday Surprise.

Big Peps
06-13-2016, 02:06 PM
On Hansen, I am not sure, there is another this week at Belmont. the filly that ran yesterday was impressive 1st out of the gate.

Didn't know that he was in S Korea now

Donttellmeshowme
06-13-2016, 02:10 PM
Coburn and Martin are no longer together correct?