PDA

View Full Version : Turf Riders

Baron Star Gregg
06-12-2016, 04:15 PM
Cornelio Velasquez just won the last two turf races at Gulfstream. I have long considered him an under rated turf jock. Richard Eramia is another in that category. Other than the jocks that are acknowledged turf riders like CNak and the French riders, who do you think has a special talent for the grass?

EDIT: DQ at Gulfstream.

EMD4ME
06-12-2016, 10:37 PM
Cornelio Velasquez just won the last two turf races at Gulfstream. I have long considered him an under rated turf jock. Richard Eramia is another in that category. Other than the jocks that are acknowledged turf riders like CNak and the French riders, who do you think has a special talent for the grass?

The Human Anchor, C Vel, is the quintissential example of a broken clock being right twice a day.

He is the most stubborn jock, who actually thinks he can think. (I know, that is deep).

Anyway.... The Human Anchor chokes everything down, like he's Hulk Hogan squeezing Andre the Giant for his life. So, as he does this, he coincidentally saves ground and rates for the drive. If you do this every race, you will accidentally win your share of races. A true great jock adjusts to every race like his life is on the line for the race.

The Human Anchor is no where NEAR intelligent enough to do so.

SuperPickle
06-12-2016, 11:05 PM
Corneilo isn't great it's just a statement on the strength of that colony. When you compare daily purses to colony depth Gulfstream probably ranks near the bottom.

That being said he's probably won as many races in his career as the rest of the colony combined.

He is notorious for taking everything back. His first week down there he definitely took a couple horses too far back. I'll be curious to see if as his rides more his timing improves.

ultracapper
06-12-2016, 11:19 PM
In SoCal, Talamo and Baze aren't necessarily acknowledged as anything special on the turf, but both prove it time and time again that they can measure the finish line as well as anyone riding down there right now. You mentioned Nakatani. The guy is exceptional on the downhill of Santa Anita, but that's nobody's secret. What is a secret is that Baze rides a lot like him on that course.

SandyW
06-12-2016, 11:23 PM

Joe Bravo & Joel Rosario among the very best on any turf course.

Quesmark
06-12-2016, 11:35 PM
Javier Castellano usually works out good tactical trips,and Horacio Karamanos a Maryland regular moves up,and motivates horses well.

RXB
06-12-2016, 11:41 PM
Bravo and Karamanos definitely move up on turf.

RXB
06-12-2016, 11:44 PM
Should add that Presque Isle is a good spot for Mario Pino because turf & synthetic suit his style better than dirt.

Antonio Gallardo is another guy that I like in grass & synth races.

ultracapper
06-13-2016, 12:53 AM
Bravo and Karamanos definitely move up on turf.

One of my handicapping cronies swears by Bravo on the grass.

pandy
06-13-2016, 07:01 AM
The Human Anchor, C Vel, is the quintissential example of a broken clock being right twice a day.

He is the most stubborn jock, who actually thinks he can think. (I know, that is deep).

Anyway.... The Human Anchor chokes everything down, like he's Hulk Hogan squeezing Andre the Giant for his life. So, as he does this, he coincidentally saves ground and rates for the drive. If you do this every race, you will accidentally win your share of races. A true great jock adjusts to every race like his life is on the line for the race.

The Human Anchor is no where NEAR intelligent enough to do so.

The thing about Cornelio V., yes, he's an off the pace type of rider, but in my opinion, he does not wait for the stretch drive as often as other riders. On turf in particular, Cornelio has won a lot of turf races in his career and in many of those wins he gunned his horse wide on the turn and got into striking position by the quarter pole. He is not an inside rider and he doens't get blocked on the hedge a lot like some other turf riders.

Many other jockeys wait until longer on turf. Others get boxed in behind horses on the inside. Cornelio likes to get them into gear a bit sooner and he prefers being on the outside. I've seen him do this hundreds of times. Some may say he moved them too soon or races too wide but for me, it's frustrating when a jockey waits too long to make his move and then comes on late to finish third or fourth, or gets boxed in and clears late.

no breathalyzer
06-13-2016, 07:47 AM
Lezcano is top notch ... Franco is solid as well

upthecreek
06-13-2016, 08:03 AM
One of my handicapping cronies swears by Bravo on the grass.
16% Turf for the year,15% overall

Arapola
06-13-2016, 02:14 PM
The kid @ GP, Emisael Jaramillo seems very promising to me on the sod.
I also like the Ortiz brothers in NY.

letswastemoney
06-13-2016, 02:27 PM
Jose Lezcano has always been the best current turf jockey for me.

Prytanis
06-13-2016, 03:55 PM
J V is the best IMO
Then:
Lezcano
Franco

horses4courses
06-13-2016, 04:23 PM
All mentioned above could ride any turf horse I play. :ThmbUp:

In Europe (and occasionally in US), Ryan Moore is very good.

EMD4ME
06-13-2016, 04:49 PM
Jose Lezcano has always been the best current turf jockey for me.

I hate his hands. I call him steel hands Lezcano. Very choppy. Is not proficient at handling EVERY horse's mouth. His hands cause his mounts to spend energy fighting him, not the competition.

no breathalyzer
06-13-2016, 05:34 PM
I hate his hands. I call him steel hands Lezcano. Very choppy. Is not proficient at handling EVERY horse's mouth. His hands cause his mounts to spend energy fighting him, not the competition.

i don't know about that .. i disagree.. horses explode for him and he always has the horse in the best possible place

Redhook206
06-13-2016, 05:38 PM
Eddie Castro :ThmbDown: :bang:

EMD4ME
06-13-2016, 05:40 PM
i don't know about that .. i disagree.. horses explode for him and he always has the horse in the best possible place

In baseball, you're great if you hit 3/10.

Maybe I'm focusing on his 7 screw ups and you're focusing on his 3 great rides out of 10? :)

After seeing Ramon ride, I expect 9/10 awesome rides. If you can't do 9/10, in my book, the jockey sucks for some reason or another. (mentally incapable, poor physical shortcoming, not prepared, doesn't work hard enough etc)

no breathalyzer
06-13-2016, 05:46 PM
In baseball, you're great if you hit 3/10.

Maybe I'm focusing on his 7 screw ups and you're focusing on his 3 great rides out of 10? :)

After seeing Ramon ride, I expect 9/10 awesome rides. If you can't do 9/10, in my book, the jockey sucks for some reason or another. (mentally incapable, poor physical shortcoming, not prepared, doesn't work hard enough etc)
the only thing he does that makes me shake my head is.. ( pretty sure you will see it in the up coming months) when he decides to get cute and blasts off to the lead on a closer.. which always ends up failing :D

EMD4ME
06-13-2016, 05:58 PM
the only thing he does that makes me shake my head is.. ( pretty sure you will see it in the up coming months) when he decides to get cute and blasts off to the lead on a closer.. which always ends up failing :D

I hear ya....

Also, think of me when the following happens. You have him on your horse. You're sitting near pocket, drafting nicely and hoping for a great trip. You watch his hands closely and see the horse isn't rating as comfortable as the horse should. Some herky jerky my hands are rough, kind of motion. Then your horse is missing that little pop as he asks the horse for run, that uncorking pop of a champage bottle if I may. Your horse loses by just a little bit.

That's the subtle stuff I'm talking about. It's not obvious to everyone.

no breathalyzer
06-13-2016, 06:10 PM
the way i see it is hes strong enough to control a acting up horse. or one that wants to run on.. yet have enough to finish stronger then most.. maybe i'm blind but i don't see too many Lezcano horses not getting max effort and finishing strong.. If i owned a horse i'm legging him up first call

EMD4ME
06-13-2016, 06:12 PM
the way i see it is hes strong enough to control a acting up horse. or one that wants to run on.. yet have enough to finish stronger then most.. maybe i'm blind but i don't see too many Lezcano horses not getting max effort and finishing strong.. If i owned a horse i'm legging him up first call

We agree to disagree my friend. That's cool :ThmbUp:

no breathalyzer
06-13-2016, 06:24 PM
We agree to disagree my friend. That's cool :ThmbUp:
it's what makes this game great :ThmbUp: if everyone always agreed there would be no point in betting

pandy
06-13-2016, 07:17 PM
All mentioned above could ride any turf horse I play. :ThmbUp:

In Europe (and occasionally in US), Ryan Moore is very good.

I agree, I've gotten great turf rides from every rider mentioned here.

SG4
06-14-2016, 12:32 AM
The kid @ GP, Emisael Jaramillo seems very promising to me on the sod.
I also like the Ortiz brothers in NY.

If 39 years old is a kid, at what age will Emisael be all grown up? LOL, a few years ago I was wondering who this up & comer Kerwin Clark was that was getting on a bunch of good mounts.

RXB
06-14-2016, 12:40 AM
16% Turf for the year,15% overall

Due to field size differences, average would be about 11% on turf and 13% on dirt so Bravo at 16% and 14% respectively continues to be better noticeably better on turf.

no breathalyzer
06-18-2016, 03:08 PM
Lezcano the turf master just won again with his steel hands :D

EMD4ME
06-18-2016, 03:20 PM
Lezcano the turf master just won again with his steel hands :D

I did say 7/10 , not 3/10 ;)

Obviously, I couldve ridden Obviously around there :lol:

Regardless, that was a good one NB :D

MonmouthParkJoe
06-18-2016, 04:36 PM
BRAVO, not that I'm biased :)