PDA

View Full Version : Belmont: June 11, 2016

Teach
06-11-2016, 10:31 AM
Live from beautiful Belmont Park by way of Eastern Massachusetts on this Belmont Stakes Day, June 11, 2016. I didn’t have time this morning to handicap the entire card so thought I’d make my selections on a race-by-race basis. I want to wish you the best of luck.

With about an hour to go before first-race 11:30 a.m. post, I offer my thoughts on the opener.

Race One:

In the opener, it’s certainly looks like :2:, Cupid. Any which way you slice this, don’t expect much in return. Just no way in a 5-horse field. The only way to make money here would be to play a Pick-3, Pick-5, or possibly a double. I believe Cupid had an excuse in his last after garnering two straight wins in previous starts. In his aforementioned last, The Arkansas Derby, this highly-priced 3 year-old grey colt was rushed up for the lead in the early going and had nothing left in the gas tank for the stretch drive. Careful handling would all that appears necessary for the Florent Geroux-ridden, Bob Baffert-trained Tapit-Pulpit-bred colt to gain his third career win. If you’re looking for a possible upset in the opener, you might consider Johnny V’s horse, :3: Rally Cry. This Uncle Mo-bred won his last race in convincing fashion as he pulled away from the rest of the field in the stretch. This Todd Pletcher-trainee (that always catches my attention) could be a value play if you feel the top pick is vulnerable.

Alwaysonpoint36
06-11-2016, 10:52 AM
good luck today teach

Teach
06-11-2016, 11:33 AM
In the walking ring and on the track I like the looks, the coat, and the carriage of 3 Rally Cry. John Velazquez gets up for these kind of days. I am sill leaning toward 2 Cupid, but I'm most impressed with Rally Cry. I believe it's going to be one of those two. Frankly, I was concerned with 5 Economic Model's fractiousness in the walking ring. He appeared skittish...spooked by the crowd. That can take away from a horse's energy, compromise his chances. We'll know soon. Again, good luck!

Teach
06-11-2016, 11:48 AM
No sour grapes. A great ride by the masterful one, Irad Ortiz, Jr. Congrats to NYRA's Andy Serling for picking the 5. Mig picked up on Economic Model's coat as he was breezing in the warm ups. Cupid's inability to fire was and remains a complete mystery. He was in it early, yet from the top of the stretch forward he barely raised a gallop. Well, back to the drawing board and on to race two...see you in a few.

Teach
06-11-2016, 12:01 PM
Race Two:

:5: Doctor Mounty

Others: :1: , :6: , :4:

Teach
06-11-2016, 12:27 PM
Race Three:

Time to "get off the schneid"! I like the chances of :5: Cathryn Sophia. Hard to go against a filly that won the Grade I Kentucky Oaks. Javier enhances for trainer John Servis. Others In The Acorn: :4: , :6: , :2:

Teach
06-11-2016, 01:03 PM
Race Four:

:7: , :2: , :4: , :5:

Teach
06-11-2016, 01:32 PM
Race Five:

:6: , :7: , :2: , :5:

Teach
06-11-2016, 02:28 PM
Race Six:

:2: , :3: , :8: , :9: