PDA

View Full Version : The "No Republican" Senate election.

_______
06-06-2016, 01:13 PM
If polls are correct, under California's top two primary system the two choices to replace Barbara Boxer in the Senate will be Attorney General Kamela Harris and Representative Loretta Sanchez, both Democrats. I believe this will be the first election for the Senate in which there is no Republican candidate since there has been a Republican Party.

California only holds party primaries for the Presidential election.

There is still a large undecided segment in the polls so one of the 3 Republican candidates might still squeak into second place but right now none is above single digits while Sanchez is polling in the mid teens and Harris in the low 30's.

reckless
06-06-2016, 01:46 PM
If polls are correct, under California's top two primary system the two choices to replace Barbara Boxer in the Senate will be Attorney General Kamela Harris and Representative Loretta Sanchez, both Democrats. I believe this will be the first election for the Senate in which there is no Republican candidate since there has been a Republican Party.

California only holds party primaries for the Presidential election.

There is still a large undecided segment in the polls so one of the 3 Republican candidates might still squeak into second place but right now none is above single digits while Sanchez is polling in the mid teens and Harris in the low 30's.

I saw something on TV that could be related to your point, Don, in a sense.

On one of those Fox political shows on Sunday night, the experts are Democrats Pat Caddell and Doug Schoen, and the Republican voice is John LeBoutillier a former one-term US congressman from Long Island.

The topic of Trump putting California in play came up. The two Democrats said that Trump could make it a race, especially if Hillary loses on Tuesday to Bernie.

But, LeBoutillier disagreed and said that Trump is wasting his time and money if he thinks he can win California.

LeBoutillier said that 'all the Republicans that voted for G.H.W. Bush and Ronald Reagan (the last two Republicans to win the state) have all moved to Arizona, Nevada or Idaho and there simply are no Republicans in California any more.'

I thought that was a good line by him.

classhandicapper
06-06-2016, 02:10 PM

LeBoutillier said that 'all the Republicans that voted for G.H.W. Bush and Ronald Reagan (the last two Republicans to win the state) have all moved to Arizona, Nevada or Idaho and there simply are no Republicans in California any more.'

He's probably close to right.

The republicans have no chance in CA until the state collapses. Even then they will probably be too foolish to understand why so you can actually fix it.

reckless
06-06-2016, 02:39 PM
I am with you there, class, but Trump will put many states that historically go for Democrats into play.

New York, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, even New Jersey and Massachusetts come to mind. Not California. As you said the place might have to totally collapse before something good happens. Very sad... a true Golden State, ruined by Democrats and liberals.

All Trump has to do is win Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan and Florida -- quite likely actually-- and it is over by many. I can't see any state that Romney won that Trump could lose -- unless Biden is the nominee. He'll be a tougher foe than Hillary by far.

classhandicapper
06-06-2016, 03:02 PM
It does appear that he's drawing enough blue collar union and similar workers that traditionally vote democrat to put a few states in play. He has to do better with women.

Clocker
06-06-2016, 03:11 PM
He has to do better with women.

And "Mexicans"!!!

reckless
06-06-2016, 03:33 PM
And "Mexicans"!!!

According to the GOP establishment, the media and the usual political know-it-alls, they all tell us that Trump will get about zero Hispanic votes. :lol:

So, clock, if Trump gets 5-10 percent of the Mexican and Hispanic votes, or more, most likely, do you think we can say he 'won' the Mexicans and Hispanic vote?

reckless
06-06-2016, 03:37 PM
It does appear that he's drawing enough blue collar union and similar workers that traditionally vote democrat to put a few states in play. He has to do better with women.

class, I have read in countless places this year that in all the exit polls in primaries that Trump won he performed per the 'women's' vote way way above the pre-race polls by many. Just saying. I have to believe he will do well with women across the USA come November, except possibly in San Francisco or on the Upper West Side. :)

Clocker
06-06-2016, 03:38 PM
So, clock, if Trump gets 5-10 percent of the Mexican and Hispanic votes, or more, more likely, do you think we can say he 'won' the Mexicans and Hispanic vote?

Are we talking about undocumented Mexicans or naturalized Mexicans or naturally born American Mexicans or, in the case of places like Chicago, deceased Mexicans? :rolleyes:

reckless
06-06-2016, 03:45 PM
Are we talking about undocumented Mexicans or naturalized Mexicans or naturally born American Mexicans or, in the case of places like Chicago, deceased Mexicans? :rolleyes:

The way our corrupt government and immoral political system has become, I must sadly say: 'All of the above'. :bang:

Tom
06-06-2016, 03:58 PM
The idiot republicans should be lining up to defined and explain much of what Trump says, as Hannity is doing, and Rush fill in today did. His comments really are not as outlandish as the media is making them out to be.

I guess losing is just irresistible to the GOP.
Is there not one in the party that has a set and is not afraid to stand up and fight for the party? Are they ALL unichs?

Rhetorical question. Trump is the ONLY republican with a set.

barahona44
06-06-2016, 07:59 PM
He's definitely lost the Mexican judge demographic. :) .

The only Hispanic group that will give Trump any kind of support are the Cubans in Florida, who are almost always solidly GOP .However if they start to drift away, Florida will be tough for El Trumpo

zico20
06-06-2016, 08:07 PM

On one of those Fox political shows on Sunday night, the experts are Democrats Pat Caddell and Doug Schoen, and the Republican voice is John LeBoutillier a former one-term US congressman from Long Island.

The topic of Trump putting California in play came up. The two Democrats said that Trump could make it a race, especially if Hillary loses on Tuesday to Bernie.

But, LeBoutillier disagreed and said that Trump is wasting his time and money if he thinks he can win California.

McCain wasted his time thinking California was in play. He should have forgotten about it and moved on far earlier.

zico20
06-06-2016, 08:13 PM
I am with you there, class, but Trump will put many states that historically go for Democrats into play.

New York, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, even New Jersey and Massachusetts come to mind. Not California. As you said the place might have to totally collapse before something good happens. Very sad... a true Golden State, ruined by Democrats and liberals.

All Trump has to do is win Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan and Florida -- quite likely actually-- and it is over by many. I can't see any state that Romney won that Trump could lose -- unless Biden is the nominee. He'll be a tougher foe than Hillary by far.

Wisconsin is far more likely to go for Trump than Michigan.

reckless
06-06-2016, 08:16 PM
McCain wasted his time thinking California was in play. He should have forgotten about it and moved on far earlier.

I hope Trump doesn't waste any time there too. It's OK to say CA is in play in his stump speeches, but I rather he concentrate on states he could win that McCain and Romney lost, like Florida, Ohio, Pennsylvania.

The country doesn't want Hillary as our president, or as a surrogate for Obama, Act III.

_______
06-06-2016, 08:53 PM
He's definitely lost the Mexican judge demographic. :) .

The only Hispanic group that will give Trump any kind of support are the Cubans in Florida, who are almost always solidly GOP .However if they start to drift away, Florida will be tough for El Trumpo

Demographically, the Florida of 2000 is gone. While Cubans remain the largest Hispanic cohort, there is a generational divide with younger Cubans somewhat less likely to vote Republican than their parents. At the same time, the Puerto Rican population has doubled with immigration from both New York and the island. If the trend continues, there will be more Puerrto Ricans in Florida than New York. There are already 1 million and they lean fairly heavily to the Democrats.

horses4courses
06-06-2016, 08:56 PM
The country doesn't want Hillary as our president, or as a surrogate for Obama, Act III.

Whose country would that be?
November will answer that one.

There are loads of conservatives in California.
They're just way outnumbered is all.

I live in a GOP county.
Jerry Brown got 60% of the vote statewide in 2014.
He lost in my county....... :lol:

_______
06-06-2016, 08:59 PM
According to the GOP establishment, the media and the usual political know-it-alls, they all tell us that Trump will get about zero Hispanic votes. :lol:

So, clock, if Trump gets 5-10 percent of the Mexican and Hispanic votes, or more, most likely, do you think we can say he 'won' the Mexicans and Hispanic vote?

The number I see tossed around is 35%. All things being equal, any Republican needs to get that much of the Hispanic vote to have any chance to win the Presidency.

Romney got a disappointing 27%. Given his rhetoric, I'd be shocked to see Trump do better than Mitt.

Tom
06-06-2016, 09:03 PM

Yeah, like 1988. :rolleyes: :lol:

classhandicapper
06-07-2016, 10:58 AM
I'm still not entirely convinced that conservatives should even be trying to win this election (other than the supreme court). I think the probability of a very deep recession or financial crisis of some kind in the next 4 1/2 years is very high.

IMO, the electorate is simply not sharp enough to understand the causes of recessions and things like that so they can allocate blame correctly. Whoever is president at the time gets the credit and/or blame when very often it's more related to the policies of previous president(s).

Let's say Trump wins, the country goes into a recession, and the deficit balloons to 1.5 trillion annually etc... None of the leftist news organizations are going to blame it on Obama because of all the money printing and cheap credit that occurred when he was president. They will blame it on Trump and the public will just go along with what they say. Who needs that? It will just give the left more ammo to blame Bush then Trump for the bad economies. We may be better off if the inevitable crisis occurs while Clinton is president. Then we toss her out on her ass 4 years from now and have plenty of ammo going forward after 12 years of democrats in the White House.

The only scenario that avoids that blame game is if Trump is honest and crazy enough to start talking about bubbles and inevitable collapses BEFORE it happens. Maybe some people will understand it and believe him if he does a good job. But others will call him irresponsible for telling the truth and may even blame him for causing it by frightening people.

reckless
06-07-2016, 12:28 PM
The number I see tossed around is 35%. All things being equal, any Republican needs to get that much of the Hispanic vote to have any chance to win the Presidency.

Romney got a disappointing 27%. Given his rhetoric, I'd be shocked to see Trump do better than Mitt.

How do you think the Republicans -- make that Donald Trump -- will get the so-called homogenous 'Hispanic' vote?

Do you think it will be by allowing unfettered illegal immigration? By providing citizenship to those illegal aliens already in this country... will that do it? By looking the other way when illegal aliens commit horrible crimes against society, even against children and elders of Hispanics-- will that get the job done? How about Trump giving the OK to Sanctuary Cities -- let's protect all these illegal aliens, the drug pushers, the rapists and murderers. Will this win a good number, you say 35-plus percent, of the homegenous ( LOL, LOL ) 'hispanic' vote needed to become President?

Or... maybe Trump will win the homogenous Hispanic vote --again, LOL, LOL-- by securing the boarders, creating jobs, leveling the playing field pertaining to world trade, return manufacturing jobs to our shores, and simply, making America the great, strong country it once was.

Mitt Romney won just 27 percent of 'Hispanics' because they knew Romney destroyed jobs as head of Bain Capital and was not a jobs creator. He bought hurting companies, raped it of its assets, sold the remains and shipped those jobs off shore. We also saw him as a loser and a coward. We also saw him lose two debates to an idiot, Barack Obama. That why Mitt did poorly with Hispanics.

'Hispanics' know Trump creates jobs -- they see every Trump project, golf course, and building built by him as proof. They also see someone who has hired thousands of Hispanics.

And they see a strong leader who gets things done against all odds.

reckless
06-07-2016, 12:41 PM
Whose country would that be?
November will answer that one.

There are loads of conservatives in California.
They're just way outnumbered is all.

I live in a GOP county.
Jerry Brown got 60% of the vote statewide in 2014.
He lost in my county....... :lol:

I can't wait for the November election too. Let's both hope and pray Hillary is the Democrat nominee.

My horrendous, phony, lying GOP congressman, Mike Fitzpatrick, won his district with 62% total vote in 2014. It was his second election in a row where he got 60+ percent.

But, in the little bucolic town I live in, Fitzpatrick lost 55-35! It really shouldn't be a surprise because the prevailing town demographics are... retired New Jersey-state employees who moved here to avoid onerous income and property taxes across the river; insurance and banking lawyers and high-level corporate types, plus school teachers and administrators.

Just because we differ politically and live 3,000 miles apart, it doesn't mean we each can't be outliers in our own small worlds.