PDA

View Full Version : Kent D and rehab

Fager Fan
06-06-2016, 11:20 AM
What's the real story here? We're hearing a spun tale of deciding to go into rehab for a week, but why now? If it's a life choice that he'd been considering for awhile, great, but wouldn't you think he'd wait until after the Belmont instead of when he's expected on the Preakness winner in a couple weeks? Did something happen that has him concerned that NYRA will be all over him and he may lose the mount? It's hard to believe he'd choose this specific point in time without something prompting it.

Redboard
06-06-2016, 01:37 PM
It’s hard to rip someone for doing the right thing and trying to clean up their life. On the other hand, he’s been here before after a couple of failed breathalyzers and was forced to go through a similar rehab. If memory serves me correctly, after he completed the program he ridiculed it and the people who tried to befriend him. So apparently he wasn’t 100% on board with what they made him go through and didn’t feel he had a problem. I think he ought to publically apologize to those people first, before he issues the statement that he did the other day. If I were a betting man, his brother made him do this in order to keep his mount. But I hope I’m wrong- time will tell whether he’s sincere or not.

Fager Fan
06-06-2016, 01:44 PM
It’s hard to rip someone for doing the right thing and trying to clean up their life. On the other hand, he’s been here before after a couple of failed breathalyzers and was forced to go through a similar rehab. If memory serves me correctly, after he completed the program he ridiculed it and the people who tried to befriend him. So apparently he wasn’t 100% on board with what they made him go through and didn’t feel he had a problem. I think he ought to publically apologize to those people first, before he issues the statement that he did the other day. If I were a betting man, his brother made him do this in order to keep his mount. But I hope I’m wrong- time will tell whether he’s sincere or not.

The timing is very strange. Why would you want to put the spotlight on this right before the Belmont? Something happened. I've seen one person say it may be the video that shows him drunk at the Derby draw but I'm not sure why that only became an issue after the Preakness. Maybe the brother forced it but I don't know why he'd want this spotlight right now either.

Because of the timing, and a one-week stint, I'm skeptical of the sincerity of this. I wish him well, but am skeptical. I guess we'll be subjected to another story on his alcoholism during the Belmont telecast. Hoorah.

PhantomOnTour
06-06-2016, 01:53 PM
People far more famous than Kent D sneak into rehab all the time.
Why make it public?
Tells me that maybe his brother and family/loved ones have had enough, and they're using this spotlight to try to get him the help he obviously needs.

While attending my very first Preakness I decided to bet against Kent D and Fusaichi Pegasus because he was riding terribly that day, as if he didn't even care...as I look back all these years later, it makes me wonder.

Does this change your betting strategy for the Belmont?
Exaggerator is clearly the best and most accomplished runner in the field.

PaceAdvantage
06-06-2016, 02:01 PM
I get the sense Kent's brother wouldn't have any qualms switching him off if he felt he wasn't going to get his best from Kent.

Tom
06-06-2016, 02:04 PM
Sounds like a good plan - today.

dilanesp
06-06-2016, 05:24 PM
I get the sense Kent's brother wouldn't have any qualms switching him off if he felt he wasn't going to get his best from Kent.

+1

Also, I'm never going to condemn a voluntary decision to go to rehab. This is what we want jockeys to do.

What we don't want is what Patrick Valenzuela did so many times-- just not show up to work. He should have been banned from the sport no later than his early 30's.

betovernetcapper
06-06-2016, 07:55 PM
When someone with a substance abuse problem needs to go to rehab & expresses a desire to do so, the time to go is right then. If you wait until tomorrow or even an hour he's likely to get high & go back to chasing the dragon. The window for recovery is often very small.

SuperPickle
06-06-2016, 09:52 PM
The SoCal jockey colony has always been the House of the Rising Sun. Tyler and Michael Baze's issues were well documented. As were Garrett Gomez. And PVal is a book upon itself. Chris Antley was sad. Kent's issues have also been written about extensively. And that list doesn't even include people in that colony who could probably use some rehab.

I don't know the story but I'm happy Kent did it.

Tall One
06-07-2016, 09:04 AM
Mike Welsch:

Exaggerator 5/8's 1:00.92 bore out 5-6 paths wide into stretch was under bit of urging to finish did gallop out strong in 1:12.91 Kent D up

chadk66
06-07-2016, 09:27 AM
I get the sense Kent's brother wouldn't have any qualms switching him off if he felt he wasn't going to get his best from Kent.this. I think he got the ultimatum.

OTM Al
06-07-2016, 01:35 PM
The timing is very strange. Why would you want to put the spotlight on this right before the Belmont? Something happened. I've seen one person say it may be the video that shows him drunk at the Derby draw but I'm not sure why that only became an issue after the Preakness. Maybe the brother forced it but I don't know why he'd want this spotlight right now either.

Because of the timing, and a one-week stint, I'm skeptical of the sincerity of this. I wish him well, but am skeptical. I guess we'll be subjected to another story on his alcoholism during the Belmont telecast. Hoorah.
His brother ripped him on national television during one of those "pre-game" segments. Might have been an attempt to get him straightened out by embarrassing him. Who knows. This has been an issue for some time now though.

whodoyoulike
06-07-2016, 09:59 PM
His brother ripped him on national television during one of those "pre-game" segments. Might have been an attempt to get him straightened out by embarrassing him. Who knows. This has been an issue for some time now though.

I saw that segment and thought it was odd at the time but just never thought of something like this. I've always liked him and hope he realizes what's the important thing to do for himself.